GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

another one of those iPod questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
another one of those iPod questions...

with the MB iPod integration kit (aka 30pin cable in the glove box thats operated by the steering wheel controls) Is there anyway to pause a song?
or while in a playlist, shuffle the songs on a playlist? reason I ask is because probably like some of you, I have organized my extensive ipod into categories like 80s and what not...some of my playlists have >1000 songs and to go through them in order is painful to the ears and to the soul...(ok maybe not that crazy).

I dont want to dish out big bucks on some crazy stereo either...is there alternatives to this like maybe another type of cable or even a USB adaptor that can help us out in that direction????

theres other stuff that bug me like theres no outlet for an aux cable or a cigarette lighter in the arm rest..., the damn aux jack is on the farthest point imaginable inside the glove box...and if you even want to use it, you have to disconnect the ipod in order for it to be read...this never comes in handy whenever you just want to switch from ipod to pandora or whatever on your iPhone. simple stuff that can be done with any cheap aftermarket car stereo...
I bet MB solved the problem and it will be fixed on newer models, but What the hell, is there anything short of buying a new expensive car stereo that we can do?

wow, sorry for the rant but damn...

Last edited by erlomd; 02-27-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
That's interesting...no response yet?
Old 03-02-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
I don't think you can pause a song on the iPod just on CDs, and shuffle works if you turn it on on the iPod before connecting it to the cable. I might be wrong but it's the way I do it.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:14 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Really...I'm going to try that...it's a pain in the *** but I'll try the plug it in while its shuffling the playlist...
I know you can shuffle the entire music on your iPod from the steering wheel controls but not shuffle the songs on a playlist...
I'll try that, thanks
Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 AM

Yeah cause usually my shuffle is on from the iPod before I connect it and when it's connected it stays the same. Let me know how to goes!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:07 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Edit: I just realized you might be talking about the other iPod integration. I'm referring below to the one that can be controlled through the central screen or the instrument cluster. The other one could only be controlled through the instrument cluster. If you're talking about the latter one, this won't apply. Sorry if this is confusing.

Originally Posted by erlomd
Is there anyway to pause a song?
The mute button acts as pause for CDs and iPod. When you unmute, the song will pick up right where you were.

On radio or Sirius, the mute button obviously is just a mute function and won't pause.

or while in a playlist, shuffle the songs on a playlist?
When you are on the screen that shows you your playlists, highlight your desired playlist but instead of pressing and releasing the COMAND knob to select it, press and hold the COMAND knob. This will shuffle the highlighted list.

By the way, you can do this from other screens too to shuffle songs by an artist or songs on an album. There's also a way to shuffle all songs on the iPod but I always forget how to do it and it usually takes me a second try to find it. I think it's either artists or albums, there's an option at the very top named "All." Press and hold the knob on that one and it will shuffle everything.

Last edited by balticgreen; 03-23-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:26 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by balticgreen
Edit: I just realized you might be talking about the other iPod integration. I'm referring below to the one that can be controlled through the central screen or the instrument cluster. The other one could only be controlled through the instrument cluster. If you're talking about the latter one, this won't apply. Sorry if this is confusing.

The mute button acts as pause for CDs and iPod. When you unmute, the song will pick up right where you were.

On radio or Sirius, the mute button obviously is just a mute function and won't pause.

When you are on the screen that shows you your playlists, highlight your desired playlist but instead of pressing and releasing the COMAND knob to select it, press and hold the COMAND knob. This will shuffle the highlighted list.

By the way, you can do this from other screens too to shuffle songs by an artist or songs on an album. There's also a way to shuffle all songs on the iPod but I always forget how to do it and it usually takes me a second try to find it. I think it's either artists or albums, there's an option at the very top named "All." Press and hold the knob on that one and it will shuffle everything.

I tried the mute option...but thats all it does...it mutes...does not pause
there is also no way to "highlight" anything...no playlist, artists songs...etc
and the command knob is completely useless when connected to the iPod or when playing a CD...
Everything is controlled from the steering wheel control and the ipod view is seen only through the gauge cluster...nothing gets displayed on the center screen
and the way you get to the shuffle all songs options is by hitting the "hang up call" option on the steering wheel only.

I dont know if what your saying is for the newer GLK's? mine is a 2010 and I really doubt theres a software update at the dealer...or is there?
I think I might have to get the other integration kit that shows up in the center screen...does anyone know the part number for that?

Last edited by erlomd; 03-23-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:00 AM

I tried the mute option...but thats all it does...it mutes...does not pause
there is also no way to "highlight" anything...no playlist, artists songs...etc
and the command knob is completely useless when connected to the iPod or when playing a CD...
Everything is controlled from the steering wheel control and the ipod view is seen only through the gauge cluster...nothing gets displayed on the center screen
and the way you get to the shuffle all songs options is by hitting the "hang up call" option on the steering wheel only.

I dont know if what your saying is for the newer GLK's? mine is a 2010 and I really doubt theres a software update at the dealer...or is there?
I think I might have to get the other integration kit that shows up in the center screen...does anyone know the part number for that?
Mute button only pauses the songs on the CD but not the iPod. That's how my GLK works (2011)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:26 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
As I suspected after I posted (and edited my post to reflect), you have the older iPod kit. I had actually forgotten at first that that one existed because it was so half-featured and didn't last long. The newer one is called the Media Interface and comes in the Premium Package these days.

The Media Interface is a much better integration and is the one that Mercedes should have offered from the beginning. It is controlled through the central screen just like radio and CDs and, among other things, the mute button does indeed pause the iPod. I have the MI and the song resumes playing from exactly where it was when I muted/paused it.

I don't know if it's possible to put the new interface in your car because I don't know if the car would recognize it or accept the right codes to activate it. I mean, it might work, but I don't know. You could call your dealer and ask. If it is possible, I highly recommend it as long as the cost isn't absurd.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by balticgreen
As I suspected after I posted (and edited my post to reflect), you have the older iPod kit. I had actually forgotten at first that that one existed because it was so half-featured and didn't last long. The newer one is called the Media Interface and comes in the Premium Package these days.

The Media Interface is a much better integration and is the one that Mercedes should have offered from the beginning. It is controlled through the central screen just like radio and CDs and, among other things, the mute button does indeed pause the iPod. I have the MI and the song resumes playing from exactly where it was when I muted/paused it.

I don't know if it's possible to put the new interface in your car because I don't know if the car would recognize it or accept the right codes to activate it. I mean, it might work, but I don't know. You could call your dealer and ask. If it is possible, I highly recommend it as long as the cost isn't absurd.
thanks...thats really good to know. I didnt know about that other media interface...Im going to ask the dealer about that this week since I need to take it in for the B service...
Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
So, I just got back from the dealer and they said that the media interface kit that your talking about will not work on mine because I have the 809 code...or something along the lines that the radio will not read the upgraded kit.
sucks...you know its bad when the dealer refers you to an after market installer and have plenty of their business cards on hand...lol

well, I guess Ill give them a call and see what they tell me.