GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Dealer says aux cable can never be installed-2010 GLK350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
Dealer says aux cable can never be installed-2010 GLK350

My 2010 GLK350 with navigation and back up cam only has the factory Iphone cable. I contacted a MB dealer about getting an auxiliary cable installed or swapped out for the iphone cable and the dealership said an aux cable can never be installed in my car.

This doesn't make sense to me. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:41 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
I think this cable will work in your case... quite a few of them listed on fleebay.

I think another user has already posted this picture somewhere else.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350
I have one. I bought the package - it comes with 3 cables. One for iPhone, one for USB and one for AUX 3.5 mm input.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:03 AM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by n8nu
I have one. I bought the package - it comes with 3 cables. One for iPhone, one for USB and one for AUX 3.5 mm input.
I knew there had to be a way to swap out the iphone cable. I don't know why the dealer would of told me differently. How difficult was it to install?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:08 PM

2010 GLK350
So, I've done some more research and found that the cable mentioned above will not work for my car. I do not have the media interface option. The iphone cable in the glove box cannot be unplugged from inside the glove box. The cable comes through a hole in the glove box surrounded by a rubber grommet. I'm not sure where the cable goes after that. If I knew how to remove the kick panel I'd attempt to investigate.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
I haven't seen a non removable iphone cable specially in a grommet hole. Maybe it was a aftermarket cable that was installed on your ride. Are you the original owner?
Old 10-18-2013, 04:42 PM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
I haven't seen a non removable iphone cable specially in a grommet hole. Maybe it was a aftermarket cable that was installed on your ride. Are you the original owner?
No, I just purchased it a couple months ago. The cable is black with a white 30-pin iphone adapter. It sticks out of the grommet at least a foot and is next to a power socket. It's similar to ones I've seen in older MB's.

I'll take a pic of it tonight and post it.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Since that cable won't work, are you considering alternate way to listening to your music?
Like a PCMCIA adapter and a memory card.
I've found this is the best way to transfer music files without wasting any CD.
It also sounds better than using AUX port.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Originally Posted by ble2716
Since that cable won't work, are you considering alternate way to listening to your music?
+1 to that!
Old 10-19-2013, 11:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
10 E63, Sold -07 E63
I'm sure that cable is replaceable from behind your radio. But if you look around online, look up iphone 30pin to aux, or usb, or whatever you choose it to be. It's an adapter that connects to that 30pin and coverts the other end to aux or whatever you please the input to be.

just one example

http://www.amazon.com/iPod-Female-Ma...m/B002SCZBIO/2

Last edited by pnoyworx; 10-20-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:03 AM

2010 GLK350
A little delayed by here's the pic of what the inside of my glove box looks like.

I have not tried the PCMCIA slot yet because I do not have a cf card. I also, prefer to stream my music from my Google Music account because I have a ton of songs. I also like listen to Pandora.

I'm sure that cable is replaceable from behind your radio. But if you look around online, look up iphone 30pin to aux, or usb, or whatever you choose it to be. It's an adapter that connects to that 30pin and coverts the other end to aux or whatever you please the input to be.

just one example

http://www.amazon.com/iPod-Female-Ma...m/B002SCZBIO/2
I already looked into one of those cables and they are not compatible with MB. The iphone adapter in the MB uses digital audio and that 30-pin to aux cable uses Analog.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I managed to find a decent alternate solution for the time being. Let me start off by saying, I've always hated FM transmitters in the past. I figured it had been several years since I last tried one and that maybe the technology had improved. I did some research and people seemed to love the Soundfly View Bluetooth FM Transmitter. The fact that it came with bluetooth was a huge bonus. I bought one off ebay from the manufacture. It arrived in the mail yesterday so I haven't had too much time to try it out. It was super easy to install. I have mine plugged into the power socket in the glove box so its completely hidden.

It's definitely not CD quality sound but its fairly close. It sounds a little better than the regular radio. The best way to describe it, its comparable to an old cassette adapter. The thing also has RDS. Right now, the radio says BT PLAY when it's in use but I'm hoping there might be a setting that will allow me to see whats playing on the radio command screen.

I still haven't given up my search for installing an aux cable though.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:53 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Thanks for that picture. That's the old iPod kit rather than the newer Media Interface. Back in those days, it was either/or. You could have aux or iPod, but not both. I had a 2008 C300 that had the same situation. Mine had the aux and it wasn't a cable; it was actually a female receptacle on the side of the glovebox, exactly where your iPod cable comes through the rubber grommet. I'm not sure if it's possible to replace that with the aux that would have come from the factory. I do seem to recall from back then that whatever the car had is what it had and you couldn't change it, but I don't know if that was because Mercedes didn't support it or because it was actually technically impossible/prohibitive.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:43 AM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by balticgreen
Thanks for that picture. That's the old iPod kit rather than the newer Media Interface. Back in those days, it was either/or. You could have aux or iPod, but not both. I had a 2008 C300 that had the same situation. Mine had the aux and it wasn't a cable; it was actually a female receptacle on the side of the glovebox, exactly where your iPod cable comes through the rubber grommet. I'm not sure if it's possible to replace that with the aux that would have come from the factory. I do seem to recall from back then that whatever the car had is what it had and you couldn't change it, but I don't know if that was because Mercedes didn't support it or because it was actually technically impossible/prohibitive.
I vaguely recall seeing a video of a guy with a 2010 C-class and same setup as mine taking off the passenger's side kick panel to install an aux cable in a port that was located near the floor. I wish I could find the video again. I'm wondering if my car has the same port as his. I'd check, but as I said previously, I have no idea how to remove the kick panel.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 PM

2010 GLK 4Matic
Cool

Originally Posted by Designer17
My 2010 GLK350 with navigation and back up cam only has the factory Iphone cable. I contacted a MB dealer about getting an auxiliary cable installed or swapped out for the iphone cable and the dealership said an aux cable can never be installed in my car.

This doesn't make sense to me. Has anyone else had this issue?
ADDING ON: I have same OEM cable in my 2010 GLK350 - works perfectrly with all versions of 30 pin Apple products (iPods and also old iPhone 30 pin) -- but HOW to get my iPhone 6 lightning cable -- use adapter or buy some new cable... dealer says only models after 2014 can work with iPhone 6.. WELL I used the OEM Apple 30 pin to Lightning cable adapter ( about 12" long total) - (a) connected OEM multimedia cable to socket inside left in glove box ( hard to stay put - falls out easily.. need ideas on hod to clamp it in place) -- (b) put OEM Apple 30 spin to Lightning adapter into Mercedes Multimedia cable (c) plugged iPhone 6 into Lightning end of adapter cable-- AMAZINF-- everything works-- Plays iTunes music- also play/interrupts with MAPS directions + still lets steering wheel controls work-- WISH I TRIED THIS MONTHS AGO-- now either I look for a longer adapter OR I use a lightning cable extender to position the cable for daily use--- it also CHARGD the phone wile in use-- AMAZING worth every penny ( and I got it on sale at BestBuy months ago and hardly used it on my old stereo clock radio ) -- BTW- selecting MULTIMEDIA obviously channels iPhone audio with iTunes songs, instead of sat radio or am/fm radio or even memory card ( I bought PCMCIA adapter for memory card in center dash location) HOPE THIS HELPS !

Last edited by BobCrouch; 08-13-2017 at 08:43 PM. Reason: updating + add new info