GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Stupid question about A/C on GLk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Stupid question about A/C on GLk

When the light on the A/C button is on that means that it is for air conditioning right? And when the A/C light is off that is for heating right?

Also, how do I get air flow through the vents without having to turn on the air?
Old 11-09-2013, 12:29 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Whether the car is heating or cooling depends on the temperature you have set with the dials. The A/C button controls whether or not the compressor will run. Air will flow as long as you have not pressed the "OFF" button.

The easiest (and recommended, I believe) setting is to press the "AUTO" button, set your desired temperature with the dial(s), and let the car handle the rest.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 350, 300ce
Not a stupid question especially if I thought the same thing I normally set a temperature for both sides and use auto. However, when the car is heating, I can turn it off without impact as it settles my mind. Is the a/C light then an indicator of if the compressor is engaged and ready to run rather than currently running?

For the second question that I've also wondered, "vent only" mode. Nothing that I've found...
Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
The compressor will always run if A/C is enabled. This is useful in the case that you need heat, but need to dry the air, such as in conditions that cause your windows to fog. Moist, hot air inside and cold outside temperatures mean quick condensation/fogging of windows. Generally, I hit "Auto" and then manually turn off A/C. That way, temperature levels, level redirections, including a short burst of automatic window defogging and other aspects are automatically regulated without needing the compressor.

Last edited by bytemaster0; 01-12-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red GLK350, blue '87 Toyota Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by mbzusr
Not a stupid question especially if I thought the same thing I normally set a temperature for both sides and use auto. However, when the car is heating, I can turn it off without impact as it settles my mind. Is the a/C light then an indicator of if the compressor is engaged and ready to run rather than currently running?

For the second question that I've also wondered, "vent only" mode. Nothing that I've found...
I haven't had a car of any make in years that had a vent position. Very annoying. Must be some stupid gumment rule that causes unnecessary A/C use.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Hmm, what if you run the fan to zero? Does it close the vents or do you get a vent type airflow. I thought I did but I'll try it again.
The A/C is typically used to modify the heated air, usually cooling it a bit to get a more precise temperature control. If it isn't humid I frequently use Auto then hit the A/C button to kill the compressor. A habit from the old days when compressors took more power to run.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:27 AM

2010 GLK350
All I do is set the temperature, then press auto, then I press the A/C button. This turns off the AC, but leaves the blower motor on auto, and the car regulates the temperature, without using AC ("vent mode"). The other option is to go full manual, control the blower motor yourself with the +/- button, turn the a/c on or off by pressing the a/c button, and don't press the auto button. Auto can be used with or without the A/C. The fact that the A/C light is on on the button means the compressor is engaged. I do like that the A/C on the GLK doesn't seem as harsh as some other cars, but it definitely can be turned off as well, at least on my 2010.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
The compressor will always run if A/C is enabled. This is useful in the case that you need heat, but need to dry the air, such as in conditions that cause your windows to fog. Moist, hot air inside and cold outside temperatures mean quick condensation/fogging of windows. Generally, I hit "Auto" and then manually turn off A/C. That way, temperature levels, level redirections, including a short burst of automatic window defogging and other aspects are automatically regulated without needing the compressor.
What he said. Put in auto and leave it there.
I have never touched the A/C button in 5 years.