GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Just a few questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Subaru Forester
Just a few questions.

Hey guys. I don't plan on buying anytime soon, probably around this time next year. But there were some questions I had on the GLK that I can't find the answer to.

The only two items I want from the premium package are the media interface and the power liftgate. Is there any way to get the liftgate without tacking on the premium package? If not I don't really feel like spending $2k+ for features I'm not going to use. And is the sunroof worth it? Or do most of you find it yourself not bothering to even use it?

The other questions I have pertain more so to the dealerships. I live a ways out from Denver so all of the nearest MB(or any non-american luxury dealer for that matter) are about 200 miles away. Would I just e-mail all of them the build I want and see who sends back the lowest price? And am I asking for trouble not having a dealer nearby for warranty problems?

Thanks.

Last edited by y2kbug77; 11-15-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:31 AM

2014 GLK 350 4Matic
if any dealers are 200 miles away at least it could be a problem. Even you don't have any problems, you gonna do service there...

Feedback on sunroof: we live in New York. It is well worth it, so much, in the fall when you are out for foliage trip. And ... less space on roof to have possible dents on when squirrels throwing acorn to the ground. (this is really a weird finding. not a benefit.)
Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 PM

2003 Subaru Forester
So you are required to have service done at a dealership? Will not getting it done there void the manufacturer warranty? There is a shop in my town that has been around for a couple decades that specializes in German imports.

With my wife's Mitsubishi they said she can get normal maintenance done anywhere as long as we save the receipts.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250 BT
Originally Posted by y2kbug77
So you are required to have service done at a dealership? Will not getting it done there void the manufacturer warranty? There is a shop in my town that has been around for a couple decades that specializes in German imports.

With my wife's Mitsubishi they said she can get normal maintenance done anywhere as long as we save the receipts.

Just make sure you use the right oil. They are very specific and using something different will void your warranty.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:36 PM

2014 GLK 350 4Matic

just make sure they know the proper way to service a MB. and if they are independent certified service shop you can use them. make sure you save all the receipts for sure.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Just save all the receipts. Mercedes needs 229.5 compliant oil - period.
I use Mobil One 0-40 Euro Formula which complies but there are others.
If you're lucky Wal Mart has it. Mine doesn't.
Mercedes oil changes are the easiest in the world. I suck it out the dipstick hole and replace the filter - all from the top. No crawling under the car and opening belly pans.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:42 PM

2003 Subaru Forester
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
Just save all the receipts. Mercedes needs 229.5 compliant oil - period.
I use Mobil One 0-40 Euro Formula which complies but there are others.
If you're lucky Wal Mart has it. Mine doesn't.
Mercedes oil changes are the easiest in the world. I suck it out the dipstick hole and replace the filter - all from the top. No crawling under the car and opening belly pans.
That's good to hear. It would be a long time before I was doing that myself though.
Subaru tightens the factory filters so tight that I knocked my Forester off it's jacks just wrenching the filter off. I'd be dead if it wasn't for the ground clearance.

Nobody knows about the power lift gate? It's not a deal breaker, it just seems silly to have a luxury crossover without one.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:23 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
The only two items I want from the premium package are the media interface and the power liftgate. Is there any way to get the liftgate without tacking on the premium package?
There is not. You can get the Media Interface separately but not the power liftgate.

And is the sunroof worth it? Or do most of you find it yourself not bothering to even use it?
Worth it. The panoramic roof and the power liftgate are the expensive parts of the Premium package and they're both worth it. You also want the media interface. That leaves the "leftover" options not costing very much so I'd say the whole package is still worth getting.

The other questions I have pertain more so to the dealerships. I live a ways out from Denver so all of the nearest MB(or any non-american luxury dealer for that matter) are about 200 miles away. Would I just e-mail all of them the build I want and see who sends back the lowest price? And am I asking for trouble not having a dealer nearby for warranty problems?
Yes to emailing the build you want. The only problems with the nearest dealership being so far away would be your time to drive that far and back or, if the car isn't driveable, whether Roadside Assistance has a radius for free towing. They will tow your car to the nearest dealership regardless of distance; it's just a matter of whether the distance is considered excessive and would result in a fee charged to you. Look into that.

So you are required to have service done at a dealership? Will not getting it done there void the manufacturer warranty?
You are not required to have the service performed at a dealership and they cannot deny warranty coverage because you had service performed elsewhere, provided that you have documentation that the service was performed and appropriate materials were used. Any shop should give you a service invoice stating the materials used. If you do the service yourself, keep receipts for the materials you purchased.

Also, even if you didn't have documentation of the service, or didn't even do the service at all for that matter, they still cannot outright void your warranty. They can only deny coverage for a specific repair and they must first show that your bad action or negligent inaction caused the problem. If your car presents with a problem caused by bad oil and you don't have documentation that you changed the oil then they can refuse to cover that repair. If you have a problem caused by bad oil and you arrive at the dealership with brake problems, that has nothing to do with the oil and they cannot deny coverage for that.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:53 PM

2003 Subaru Forester
Thank you so much. That was an amazingly helpful post.
I will just save up a bigger down payment to offset the price of the premium package.

Driving to the dealership isn't an issue. I figure I'll have to get the one I want factory ordered anyways. I did find out that all the dealerships are actually 250+ miles away from me. So I'll be sure to ask about that when I start talking to them next fall.

I didn't know I could service the car myself, that's great. That will be a money saver for sure.

One more question for you great people. I think the 2016 GLK looks very curvy and imo super generic. What's the yearly cutoff point for orders before they switch to the next gen? Like how late into 2015 would I still be able to order a boxy one? I'm just wondering because the bigger my down payment the less grief I get from my wife. haha.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Let me first say this - with a 10K mile/1 yr service interval - you have a misunderstanding that service is all mechanical - it is not - in addition to mechanical there is electronic diagnosis and electronic update of the electronic engine and transmission mangement systems, climate control check/updates again electronic.

To speak frankly - plan on a dealer trip once a year or at every 10K miles.

With MB - production for then then current model year goers into mid-June - with "cutoff" order changes and/or new orders for ending model year around April.

That said - going into last model year before generation change - your BEST deals will be Feb timeframe for order units - and March timeframe to purchase from lot inventory.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:43 PM

2003 Subaru Forester
I know that there will be certain things that can't be done in town. And I wouldn't mind going to the dealerships more than once a year even. I just didn't want to have to go there every single time something minor needs done. Like an oil change or tire rotation.

So generally speaking Feb of 2015 would be the best time to order. Good to know. There's nothing wrong with my current vehicle. I'm just more than ready for something new.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:50 PM

One more question for you great people. I think the 2016 GLK looks very curvy and imo super generic. What's the yearly cutoff point for orders before they switch to the next gen? Like how late into 2015 would I still be able to order a boxy one? I'm just wondering because the bigger my down payment the less grief I get from my wife. haha.
That depends in part on the dealer, how many build allocations they get for the model you want, and how many are unsold when you order.

If I were in your shoes, I would get an order in by January 2015. That's not an absolute cutoff as if it were impossible to order one later than that. But if you definitely want the X204 and you're ordering at the end of its production, don't take chances by waiting until the last possible minute. They don't need to give you the first available allocation when you order; you can ask for a later one to push delivery out farther but still secure the vehicle you want.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 PM

2003 Subaru Forester
Okay. I'll have enough money saved by then and keeping an eye out for financing offers and what not.

You are all very helpful. Always nice to find a forum that's not full of jerks. I'm sure I'll be lurking on here lots until I get a GLK of my own.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - on order timing I would order in July 2014 for October 2015 delivery - no reason to delay joy - and get a 15 month 1st year as a bonus...
Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 PM

2003 Subaru Forester
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Frankly - on order timing I would order in July 2014 for October 2015 delivery - no reason to delay joy - and get a 15 month 1st year as a bonus...
I'm so confused. I'm sure this was meant as some sort of joke, but it went right over my head. haha.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:40 PM

Okay. I'll have enough money saved by then and keeping an eye out for financing offers and what not.
Keep in mind that incentives (including financing offers) offered by Mercedes are set monthly and the incentives you might be eligible for are those available when you take delivery, not when you order.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:57 PM

2003 Subaru Forester
Originally Posted by balticgreen
Keep in mind that incentives (including financing offers) offered by Mercedes are set monthly and the incentives you might be eligible for are those available when you take delivery, not when you order.
Well that will make for a fun game then. Good thing the financing offers don't vary wildly.