GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Winter Tire & Steel Rim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Winter Tire & Steel Rim

I have a 2010 GLK 4-matic with the OEM 20 inch rims. I live in the Northeast and was slipping all over the place with my stock Pirellis.

I'm going to invest in 235/60/17 winter tires and rims.

1. RIM - Mainly looking for a steel rim that can get me through the snow.
Will this rim fit?
Name of the brand is Unique. They also make Pacer brand steel rims.
It is 5x112 bolt pattern with 17x7 inches, but has a +38mm offset.
I believe my 20 inch rims has a +45mm offset.

2. TIRE - Any thoughts on the Dunlop Signature CS? Or recommend an all-season tire?

3. LUG BOLTS - Can I use my current OEM lug bolts to mount the steel rim I buy?

Much appreciated for any insight. First post here, but I've been reading this website for years!

Last edited by rocketd55; 12-13-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by rocketd55
I have a 2010 GLK 4-matic with the OEM 20 inch rims. I live in the Northeast and was slipping all over the place with my stock Pirellis.

I'm going to invest in 235/60/17 winter tires and rims.

1. RIM - Mainly looking for a steel rim that can get me through the snow.
Will this rim fit?
Name of the brand is Unique. They also make Pacer brand steel rims.
It is 5x112 bolt pattern with 17x7 inches, but has a +38mm offset.
I believe my 20 inch rims has a +45mm offset.

2. TIRE - Any thoughts on the Dunlop Signature CS? Or recommend an all-season tire?

3. LUG BOLTS - Can I use my current OEM lug bolts to mount the steel rim I buy?

Much appreciated for any insight. First post here, but I've been reading this website for years!
Those steel rims won't look too good even if they can be made to work with the low offset and being on narrow side. You should be able to get replica alloy wheels with proper specs for almost same price.

So far as tires are concerned, why would you want all-season tires? Isn't that what you already have? For snow, wouldn't you want winter tires?

The manual for my 2014 provides a list of recommended rim/tire sizes and they do recommend 235/60-17 for winter. Rim size given is 7.5Jx17 H2 with 47.5mm offset. Check your owners manual - it may be different.

I looked at Tirerack and the pickings were slim. Maybe they only list tires that they have stock of? There should be tons of choices. There are on our Canadian websites. I was quoted C$1200 for 4 replica wheels with brand name snow tires from a shop in Toronto.

You will likely need new bolts for most non OEM rims.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by 107123210; 12-14-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
I would at least research winter tyres in the size found in the owner's manual via Tire Rack. My concern was for a quiet ride when the weather was not nasty & the reviews provide that type of information. Call Tire Rack & talk with them on what you need. Yes, I think you will need shorter bolts as found with the spare tyre.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:59 PM

GLK
Thanks for the replies.

I'm worried about offset as well. The GLK stock 20 inch rims have a 45 mm offset. Tirerack has 17 inch winter rims that match the GLK, but are 35 mm. They have several wheels that are 35 mm offset. Tirerack told me that the offset it not a big deal as long as I change all 4 rims.

Offset is the most important factor when changing to non-stock rims. It affects handling and can adversely affect the struts / shocks, not to mention change the balance of the vehicle.

Am I worrying about the offset too much?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:11 PM

mercedes benz glk 350
I ordered 235/60/17 wheel and tire package from tire rack this fall with blizzak ws70 studless tires. I have a 2010 glk as well with the 20 inch rims. when you order from them, they mount the tires and balance them on the rims. The wheels come with a centering ring installed and have been designed for that particular car. I did find there was a good selection of tires in that size, but would definitely recommend the blizzaks. They are ridiculously better than the stock Pirellis on ice and snow. I got the painted wheels (black anthracite) and they also have a center cap. They look a lot better than the plain black wheels that need hubcaps, that most people run around with. I admit that I didn't look into the offset as they assured me those particular wheels were good for the glk. I wouldn't worry about a small offset change as the wheels are flush with the hub, so things can only move in the same direction as they were engineered. I understand that a big change could lever things in a weird way. I actually had it in on an alignment machine and the camber/caster etc was all up to snuff. I haven't seen pavement here (Winnipeg Canada) for 4 weeks now and the last 2 weeks the temperature has been 35 below freezing. And I loved the tires so much, I ordered some for our other car and will never go without winter tires again!!! They also come with lug bolts that need to be used. Not because of the length though. The underside of the stock lug bolt is curved and it cradles the stock rim. The replacement wheels require a flat beveled lug bolt to secure. Failure to use them will ruin the new wheels and maybe worse. They are included and the price at least. Any difference in the offset is not noticeable at all to look at and there is plenty of clearance for the brakes as well. Also, you save a ton of cash getting the 17 inch package as opposed to trying to find 18 to 20 inch packages, and parking along a curb that is hiding under some snow will not ruin your wheel when (not if) you rub a curb. Anyone seen a glk with 20 inchers that aren't curb scraped? lol Taller sidewall also gives a more comfortable ride over winter ruts and potholes. You were also wondering about road noise.... The blizzaks were very quiet for the one week I drove them on pavement. Good Luck
Mike
Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by vanrooster70
I ordered 235/60/17 wheel and tire package from tire rack this fall with blizzak ws70 studless tires. I have a 2010 glk as well with the 20 inch rims. when you order from them, they mount the tires and balance them on the rims. The wheels come with a centering ring installed and have been designed for that particular car. I did find there was a good selection of tires in that size, but would definitely recommend the blizzaks. They are ridiculously better than the stock Pirellis on ice and snow. I got the painted wheels (black anthracite) and they also have a center cap. They look a lot better than the plain black wheels that need hubcaps, that most people run around with. I admit that I didn't look into the offset as they assured me those particular wheels were good for the glk. I wouldn't worry about a small offset change as the wheels are flush with the hub, so things can only move in the same direction as they were engineered. I understand that a big change could lever things in a weird way. I actually had it in on an alignment machine and the camber/caster etc was all up to snuff. I haven't seen pavement here (Winnipeg Canada) for 4 weeks now and the last 2 weeks the temperature has been 35 below freezing. And I loved the tires so much, I ordered some for our other car and will never go without winter tires again!!! They also come with lug bolts that need to be used. Not because of the length though. The underside of the stock lug bolt is curved and it cradles the stock rim. The replacement wheels require a flat beveled lug bolt to secure. Failure to use them will ruin the new wheels and maybe worse. They are included and the price at least. Any difference in the offset is not noticeable at all to look at and there is plenty of clearance for the brakes as well. Also, you save a ton of cash getting the 17 inch package as opposed to trying to find 18 to 20 inch packages, and parking along a curb that is hiding under some snow will not ruin your wheel when (not if) you rub a curb. Anyone seen a glk with 20 inchers that aren't curb scraped? lol Taller sidewall also gives a more comfortable ride over winter ruts and potholes. You were also wondering about road noise.... The blizzaks were very quiet for the one week I drove them on pavement. Good Luck
Mike
Mike, thanks so much for the response! Appreciate all the time and thought you put into your reply.

Tire Rack sold out of the rim I was going to buy. Instead, I'm going to buy from Discount Tire & Wheels.

I'm going to get the 17 inch Momo Winter Pro. These have a 45 mm offset to match the specifications. Still deciding on the tires.

I now have the stock 20 inch rims with Pirellis, which are not good in the snow at all. To prevent curb damage, buy Rim Ringz! I paid $100 for 4 rim protectors. They are easy to install and protect 100% against curb damage. I had previously spent $300 refinishing all 4 of my rims.

Thanks again!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 PM

mercedes benz glk 350
I'll have to look into those rim ringz.... I think I saw them in Vegas when I was there for the SEMA show last year. Good luck on the tire choice, I wish we had more options in Canada to get reasonable prices on stuff. Everything is way overpriced here, seriously, saved about 700 dollars ordering from the US and driving to the border to get them. It's not about affording it, but I would rather give my business to someone who isn't ripping people off. Sometimes you can even go to the US and buy Canadian products cheaper there than here.... and we put up with it and it will never change!!!! wow what a rant, that felt better. LOL
I'm actually curious what tire you use, hit me back after you install them if you have the time, and let me know what you think of it.
Mike
Old 12-17-2013, 09:08 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
X2 What 'Vanrooster" (Mike) said.!!!
I have the same from Tirerack with the Alloys/Blizzaks..(17") In fact, our 4 vehicles are all shoe'd with winter Blizzaks! This is my 2nd winter with the GLK and by far the most important best move for winter rubber. I have a very steep long driveway at the cottage.... even in icey conditions, the GLK will walk right up!!! In fact, my son & I have tried to get it to slip out.... not going to happen. My previous Murano w/ Blizzaks), even in lockdown, would slip occasionally up the hill. The 4matic is awesome!
Note: In another life I was a professional roadracer(motorcycle), way to old for that now, but my '***-o-meter' knows tire slippage! LOL!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:05 AM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by vanrooster70
Everything is way overpriced here, seriously, saved about 700 dollars ordering from the US and driving to the border to get them. It's not about affording it, but I would rather give my business to someone who isn't ripping people off.
There are on-line places that offer deals similar to Tirerack in Canada. (PMC for one, but for our sizes seemed expensive) But in Toronto, you could get 17" aftermarket alloy rims with Blizzaks including installation and tax for $1250. Several others we checked has similar pricing but perhaps without tax included. Most have limited supply by this time. Here is one quotation I recently received for a full size spare:

17' Replica Rim $140.00
235/60R17 Bridgestone Turanza EL400 $160.00
Superior Tire & Auto
(Decided to go with Vredestein compact folding instead)

By the time you pay duties and taxes and drive to border, Tirerack would likely be just as much as local discounters, and if you have them ship direct, much more.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
You also have to add in the cost of new TPMS sensors if you have new rims. Tire Rack carries the same manufacturer as OEM MB but without the star. Cost for a set of four was $250.US a few months ago.
Presently struggling long distance with my sister in upstate NY to get her to purchase a set of winter tyres for her new Golf TDI. Costly endeavor no matter where you purchase.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:32 PM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit
You also have to add in the cost of new TPMS sensors if you have new rims. Tire Rack carries the same manufacturer as OEM MB but without the star. Cost for a set of four was $250.US a few months ago.
For those of us in Canada, we don't need nor should anyone with a Canadian GLK order TPMS sensors.

Our GLKs are not equipped for TPMS. They use a more simple system based on wheel speed. Apparently, if one tire goes soft, diameter is reduced, rpm increases and system alerts driver.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:24 PM

GLK
As an update to my initial post, I bought a tire and rim package from Tire Rack!

Tires - I chose to buy all season tires, rather than winter tires, since we get hit with snowstorms maybe 4 times each year in my part of the United States. I bought 235/60/17 Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 that are all-season, but superb in the snow.

Rims - I ended up going with Tire Rack mainly because of the rims. I was able to ****** clearance 17x7.5 inch rims with 35 mm offset for $59 each. They are Elbrus I02.

Total price including shipping was $983, but with the $50 rebate, it brings it to $953.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Definitely be careful on the lower offsets. My 18" BBS SR winter wheels are +45 (like the factory wheels), but the clearance on the inside of the winter tire is pretty much non-existent (perhaps one finger width).

No rubbing so far, but I was amazed at the tight tolerance.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:52 PM

GLK
I agree with your assessment, but how big are your tires?

Positive offset means the tire should stick out. So your tires should be flush with the fender. Mine stick out by about 1 cm.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Positive offset doesn't necessarily mean the tires will stick out - it just has to do with the distance between the hub mounting surface and the centre line of the wheel.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:30 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by koalatm
Positive offset doesn't necessarily mean the tires will stick out - it just has to do with the distance between the hub mounting surface and the centre line of the wheel.
You are correct. However, another way of looking at is from this perspective. Your original GLK rims had an offset of +45mm. So if you put a rim that is +35 mm offset, that means your tire will stick out 1 cm more lateral to the centerline. You can view this on http://www.willtheyfit.com/. This is if you keep the circumference of the tire the same.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:45 PM

GLK250 2014
You are correct. However, another way of looking at is from this perspective. Your original GLK rims had an offset of +45mm. So if you put a rim that is +35 mm offset, that means your tire will stick out 1 cm more lateral to the centerline. You can view this on http://www.willtheyfit.com/. This is if you keep the circumference of the tire the same.
The width of the rims must also be a factor. Wider rims will need less offset to avoid interference. But the rims may also then extend further outboard.

On my GLK250, I believe the rims are 7.5" wide, while some aftermarket rims are 8.5". Tirerack presently has 17" rims that range from 7 to 8" .

The owner's manual suggests 17" tires and 7.5" rims for winter - probably best to stay with those? (Even although manual says not for USA!)

That is a useful on-line calculator. However, the clearances it gives are based on the rim. How about the tires? Wouldn't it make a difference if say 245 or 225 wide tires were used?
Old 12-23-2013, 07:52 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by 107123210
The width of the rims must also be a factor. Wider rims will need less offset to avoid interference. But the rims may also then extend further outboard.

On my GLK250, I believe the rims are 7.5" wide, while some aftermarket rims are 8.5". Tirerack presently has 17" rims that range from 7 to 8" .

The owner's manual suggests 17" tires and 7.5" rims for winter - probably best to stay with those? (Even although manual says not for USA!)

That is a useful on-line calculator. However, the clearances it gives are based on the rim. How about the tires? Wouldn't it make a difference if say 245 or 225 wide tires were used?
I tried my best to match the specs listed in my manual. My GLK book recommends 235/60/17 with 45 mm offset. I bought that exact size tire, but with a 35 mm offset on a 17 inch rim.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:31 PM

GLK250 2014
I tried my best to match the specs listed in my manual. My GLK book recommends 235/60/17 with 45 mm offset. I bought that exact size tire, but with a 35 mm offset on a 17 inch rim.
Nothing wrong with that. But the rim width must also be considered. The tires will fit on various widths of rims. If your rims are 7.5 or better still 7.0, then I would think you should be fine. But I am no expert - just doing the math!

It seems to me that to not depart from the tire configuration that matches the design of the suspension, the rim centreline should ideally stay in same place. Keeping rim width and offset same would achieve that. MB's recommendation is just 2mm out for my car with 19" rims with 47mm offset.

Last edited by 107123210; 12-23-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:59 PM

2011 GLK 350 4matic
I bought 17 inch rim with 35mm offset, with no problems.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:07 PM

GLK
I've driven about 500 miles so far on the 17 inch rims with 35 mm offset. Ride is improved. Bodyroll is less for some reason. GLK does feel a bit slower. Maybe less dry grip? Handling feels identical to when I had my OEM 20 inch rims. But no problems with suspension, etc. so far.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:40 AM

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts
yes
I've driven about 500 miles so far on the 17 inch rims with 35 mm offset. Ride is improved. Bodyroll is less for some reason. GLK does feel a bit slower. Maybe less dry grip? Handling feels identical to when I had my OEM 20 inch rims. But no problems with suspension, etc. so far.
I went from 20-inch rims to 17-inch for winter (with correct offset and correctly sized winter tires). The ride improvement was much LESS than I expected. It's a bit better but I was expecting more.