GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Sirius prob with 2014

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Originally Posted by RSNovi
i have push button start and had it happen.
I spent a few years developing automotive audio systems. These types of things where the radio gets stuck in a weird state is very common and one of the biggest challenges we faced in designing these systems. .......p.
Also for MikeDr; & tib*...
GLK250BT - Jan2014 delivery, with ALL/EVERY MB options including tow
currently running 20inch Conti-DWS (as I hated the MOE) and well under way in our North America's Circle RoadTrip........

Seems not so crazy now... when I read this post - made me feel 'dang I wasn't being too fussy' like the MY MB dealer kinda told me.....

My GLK was in Boston (before we left of our MASSIVE ROAD TRIP) I noticed this issue and drove to dealer and I was also told > its Sirius fault ...... and they cannot fix it. So I showed him (magic of 3G Ipad) those "German posts" that also talk of the radio issues (with all/heaps of other H'K' option) So reluctantly he decided to take the car for a day and update to do ALL/EVERY update there was from Factory. When I called next day - luckily I got The Service Tech & he told me he download all night @home and made a DVD to take work.... so I bought him a coffee on way to collect my car>...The guy told me on quite-he is a bit of audio geek and he things its just NOT RESOLVED.....so I was very puzzled with his comments before I left... and asked him " what now?" he said he will add his comments for someone in the FACTORY TO READ and lets see..."

So I drive off and sure enough on next morning I get "update channels" and stayed on for hours. Now we are well into our road trip = weirdest thing. Still there every morning when we start off!! We also tried the Push-Starts .... so will try with keys.

So at our next stop ( at a major Canadian City) - I be looking for a MB dealer to have this and next (item below) looked @

FYI--- Sirius Radio works nicely in most parts of Canada - even in back roads of New Finland !

For Novi**

mate - I also noticed that " hum/ harmonic" noise .... and also so annoying. As I also spoke to this teckie Ser Teck > he told me its "HD channel noise". I told him I thought it might be a noise from the REAR SHOCKS (as it only happens at any ROAD BUMPS) I thought it might be the Hydro-fluids re-adjusting inside the chamber. I have had this case during my one time short 'racing-carrier'. However I don't see those SHOCKS being used in any road MB yet... and MB teck confirmed that and quickly added "then its - Mr. XXX jobs than!!!. not his section!.

Being a EX-Software guy (now retired thus this trip) - I find it hard to be HD radio noise..... But I haven't ruled it out as being a 'loose audio component" in the back. I do remember during my working life - had a AudiR8 as my 'company car' and it did have a Bose System and that had these " HD noise like and the teck told me it was a loose AMP that caused it .. and he fixed with by added some rubber insulated plugs around the holding screws. At that time I didn't give it much thought ,,,, and now I am going to 'investigate" this ......and maybe NOVI* can have more input/say since he was/is an Audio guy.......Since there is only the HK AMP(s) back there - I might look at it when I get to it with stuff in back unloaded when we stop off for a few days at one place.
Sorry - too lazy to do this post on the other page>

>> thanks everyone
Old 03-29-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GLK350
I'm going to just use my key for starting the next few days and see what happens. I will let you know the outcome.
I'm wondering if turning off the Comand unit prior to shutting off the car, and then turning it on after you turn on the car via push button start would also work?
Old 03-29-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
GLK350
Originally Posted by mikedr
I'm wondering if turning off the Comand unit prior to shutting off the car, and then turning it on after you turn on the car via push button start would also work?
I tried turning off before and then on after starting but no impact.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:01 PM

2014 GLK350
Bummer!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:16 PM

2014 GLK350
No dice on the odd number trick -- I had the problem on channel 9.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 AM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Nada - same ol same ol issue - didn't work wth KEY START & also no luck with TURN OFF COMMAND MODULE before engine off........... still get that dreaded " channel update' msg for hours............. and down the road we go ...

Cheers
Old 03-30-2014, 09:20 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by miked807
Nada - same ol same ol issue - didn't work wth KEY START & also no luck with TURN OFF COMMAND MODULE before engine off........... still get that dreaded " channel update' msg for hours............. and down the road we go ...

Cheers
Well, that blows that theory. I guess all we can do now is wait for MB to resolve.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:40 AM

2014 GLK350
Originally Posted by tbirdvet
Well, that blows that theory. I guess all we can do now is wait for MB to resolve.
Sadly, I can also confirm that leaving the radio on an odd channel number also doesn't work. I've been leaving the radio on channel 9, and received the message of infamy.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:41 AM

2014 GLK350
On a plus note, I've discovered HD Radio. Won't help us for our trek from Phoenix to Seattle at the end of April, but both in Phoenix and Seattle it's nice.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:19 PM

2014 GLK 350
Not a problem with the car - it is a Sirius thing. I just traded in my '04 Tahoe Z71 for the '14 GLK 350 yesterday. I had a Sirius multi-location radio (one that you can pop in and out of its cradle) in my truck to save me from the horrific local stations. Every morning for the last few weeks it would say something like "subscription updated - press any key/button to continue" or a channel update message shows up as well. They have been playing with stations. I think it was this past Thursday that 40s on 4 became the Billy Joel station. They run special stations on occasion and when they change one channel, the entire line up must be updated. Nothing to do with MB radios.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:35 PM

2014 GLK350
Originally Posted by EmsBenz
Not a problem with the car - it is a Sirius thing. I just traded in my '04 Tahoe Z71 for the '14 GLK 350 yesterday. I had a Sirius multi-location radio (one that you can pop in and out of its cradle) in my truck to save me from the horrific local stations. Every morning for the last few weeks it would say something like "subscription updated - press any key/button to continue" or a channel update message shows up as well. They have been playing with stations. I think it was this past Thursday that 40s on 4 became the Billy Joel station. They run special stations on occasion and when they change one channel, the entire line up must be updated. Nothing to do with MB radios.
Not to be rude, but it's clear you haven't read anything carefully. Mercedes acknowledges this is a problem. It has EVERYTHING to do with MB. Maybe read before you post in the future. Just a thought.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:44 PM

2014 GLK 350
Not to be rude, but it's clear you haven't read anything carefully. Mercedes acknowledges this is a problem. It has EVERYTHING to do with MB. Maybe read before you post in the future. Just a thought.
How welcoming...

Perhaps MB shouldn't have jumped the gun by acknowledging that. I read through, and I believe MB is wrong. Sirius has been updating their line up. If my radio that was not in a MB was/is having the same issue, it tells me that it is a Sirius problem.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:05 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by EmsBenz
How welcoming...

Perhaps MB shouldn't have jumped the gun by acknowledging that. I read through, and I believe MB is wrong. Sirius has been updating their line up. If my radio that was not in a MB was/is having the same issue, it tells me that it is a Sirius problem.
It is MB not Sirius. I have 2 cars. When this issue happens on my GLK my C300 is OK. What does this tell you? Also when Sirius does do an update it does last for 8 hrs. at a time which is what happens with this issue on the GLK's.

Last edited by tbirdvet; 04-06-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:03 PM

2014 GLK350
Originally Posted by tbirdvet
It is MB not Sirius. I have 2 cars. When this issue happens on my GLK my C300 is OK. What does this tell you? Also when Sirius does to an update it does last for 8 hrs. at a time which is what happens with this issue on the GLK's.
This. It's not a Sirius issue. On no other Sirius radio do you get "updating channels" that NEVER -- literally never -- turns off until you shut the car off and wait an hour or so.

And insofar as MB has acknowledged this is a software bug with the GLK with push button start and is working on a fix, it is hard to comprehend one saying otherwise.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:37 PM

GLK350
This. It's not a Sirius issue. On no other Sirius radio do you get "updating channels" that NEVER -- literally never -- turns off until you shut the car off and wait an hour or so.

And insofar as MB has acknowledged this is a software bug with the GLK with push button start and is working on a fix, it is hard to comprehend one saying otherwise.
My dealer has been working with MB on this issue. I have taken my vehicle back to them twice for them to get additional diagnostic info. Now MB wants me to verify that this issue only comes up when on Sat. radio. I will now listen to just FM for next few days to verify. Has anyone else verified that all is OK when listening to FM or AM stations?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Have any of you guys with this problem ever contacted Sirius and tried to work through it?

I installed an Alpine radio in my W201. Shortly after install I started having this problem. Called Sirius and spoke to their rep (somewhere in the Phillipines!) and the problem was fixed! I've never had a hint of a problem in my X204. Seems to me if the two softwares are conflicting, one or both could fix.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:09 PM

2014 GLK350
Just Sirius. I've dealt with Sirius, too. They referred me to Mercedes after about an hour.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:16 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by Bob338
Have any of you guys with this problem ever contacted Sirius and tried to work through it?

I installed an Alpine radio in my W201. Shortly after install I started having this problem. Called Sirius and spoke to their rep (somewhere in the Phillipines!) and the problem was fixed! I've never had a hint of a problem in my X204. Seems to me if the two softwares are conflicting, one or both could fix.
Was the on the phone with Sirius at the beginning and they could not fix. Since this issue locks up radio until vehicle is shut down they concluded it was a hardware issue and MB needs to address.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I hate these problems and the finger pointing that inevitably ensues. My '10 GLK with MM and Sirius does not have these problems. I realize the unit was updated in, what was it? 2012? But a few rare updates, they last less than a minute. My wife's car a Lexus LS430 with Sirius has zero issues also.
This could be one of those perfect storms that Sirius teed up to Mercedes and MB ran with it. In other words, Sirius's latent problem was found by Mercedes causing this cluster ***.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
I hate these problems and the finger pointing that inevitably ensues. My '10 GLK with MM and Sirius does not have these problems. I realize the unit was updated in, what was it? 2012? But a few rare updates, they last less than a minute. My wife's car a Lexus LS430 with Sirius has zero issues also.
This could be one of those perfect storms that Sirius teed up to Mercedes and MB ran with it. In other words, Sirius's latent problem was found by Mercedes causing this cluster ***.
The GLK had a major upgrade for 2014 including electronics and keyless starting. I was informed that it could be a frequency issue in the starting system but will have to wait for MB to sort it out.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:08 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Why don't the bad thing change and the good thigs left alone:
MLB streaming still has buffering problems not fixed
ESPN Ap Was good not it sucks
Baseball team Ap's they had to change a good thing
IOS 7 they should have quit 2 upgrades ago.
Windows 8.1 much better than Windows 8
Sirius should have left it alone and stop moving the channels all over the place.
Compact Florescence should have stayed with the incandescence
72 mph speed limit on the NJ Turnpike in the '60's should have left it alone everyone still does 80 posted at 65 mph
IE 9 almost unusable
Software 'Ribbons" bummer.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 PM

2014 ML 350
Read the thread and just wanted to add that this is happening on my 2 week old 2014 ML350 as we'll. so this isn't isolated to the glk.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If your dealer does not give you satisfaction - under warranty - then call Mercedes Customer Service - factually explain to them what the unresolved issue is - who the dealer is - and your service history/not-fixed at that dealer - lay all that out so they can get that info into their systems - that will start major 2nd channel direct request from MB for that dealer to to take care of it ..
Old 04-07-2014, 04:41 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
If your dealer does not give you satisfaction - under warranty - then call Mercedes Customer Service - factually explain to them what the unresolved issue is - who the dealer is - and your service history/not-fixed at that dealer - lay all that out so they can get that info into their systems - that will start major 2nd channel direct request from MB for that dealer to to take care of it ..
In this case it's not the dealer. MB needs to attack the issue and tell the dealer how to fix.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:58 PM

2014 GLK350
I was pretty pleased with the last go around with my dealer, if for no other reason that they indicated that this is a problem, and that they are waiting on MB to issue a fix. I'm hoping that it gets fixed in the next couple of weeks, but would be satisfied by end of summer. If it extends past that, I have a hard decision to make vis-a-vis lemon laws -- I love the car, but I'm a constant channel switcher, and this is a big hit on usability for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sirius prob with 2014