GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Is a 2010 GLK 350 a good purchase in 2015?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Escape 06
Is a 2010 GLK 350 a good purchase in 2015?

Hi everyone, Im 19 , Im a guy, and looking to purchase my first Mercedes.
I've been driving a 4 cylinder ford escape for 2 years now and I am tired of how slow it is. Ever since I drove my mom's G wagon I've had the thirst for a mercedes. I know the exhaust on a GLK won't be as loud as the one on a G Wagon but it must beat my ford escape by a long run.
My current budget is 20 to 22k. I was looking at a GLK in the area it's a 2010 with 47,xxx miles. It seems pretty decent to me at only 20k, I could afford and pay the insurance up front in cash.
I searched online everywhere and have not seen anyone complaining of any serious issues on their GLK, just here and there one or two guys might have a major issue and it's usually resolved under warranty.
Since I don't think this car will be under warranty long I was hoping I could get some ideas from some GLK owners. Would you recommend anyone buying it used? Are there any issues I should look for when purchasing this car? Do you regret buying the GLK?
I don't mind spending $150 on an oil change and I can spare 2 to 3k on any major repairs. However I know mercedes repairs can run easily above 10k. I'm not looking to spend anything over 3k in repairs per year. I know any car can have these issues and I'm not asking for a fortune teller, I just want to know if this make and year in general are a reliable investment. I've read terrible things about the x3 competitors.

Thank you

Benzach
Old 09-21-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
Originally Posted by benzach
Hi everyone, Im 19 , Im a guy, and looking to purchase my first Mercedes.
I've been driving a 4 cylinder ford escape for 2 years now and I am tired of how slow it is. Ever since I drove my mom's G wagon I've had the thirst for a mercedes. I know the exhaust on a GLK won't be as loud as the one on a G Wagon but it must beat my ford escape by a long run.
My current budget is 20 to 22k. I was looking at a GLK in the area it's a 2010 with 47,xxx miles. It seems pretty decent to me at only 20k, I could afford and pay the insurance up front in cash.
I searched online everywhere and have not seen anyone complaining of any serious issues on their GLK, just here and there one or two guys might have a major issue and it's usually resolved under warranty.
Since I don't think this car will be under warranty long I was hoping I could get some ideas from some GLK owners. Would you recommend anyone buying it used? Are there any issues I should look for when purchasing this car? Do you regret buying the GLK?
I don't mind spending $150 on an oil change and I can spare 2 to 3k on any major repairs. However I know mercedes repairs can run easily above 10k. I'm not looking to spend anything over 3k in repairs per year. I know any car can have these issues and I'm not asking for a fortune teller, I just want to know if this make and year in general are a reliable investment. I've read terrible things about the x3 competitors.

Thank you

Benzach
I think that sounds a bit high priced for a 2010 model and you won't have the warranties. Wait a bit till the GLCs come around.

How long do you intend to keep it? If only for a few years, why not lease a new one? I know you don't build any equity with leases. Maybe there will be a great lease deal for the GLCs?
Old 09-21-2015, 03:08 PM

2010 Mercedes-Benz GLK350
Recently Purchased 2010 GLK350

Benzach,
I just purchased a 2010 GLK350 4MATIC, about 3 days ago, and I'm loving it. I also was looking for a functional, yet classy vehicle, and landed on the GLK350.

I have been a long-time Subaru owner because of my love for the outdoors. I needed something rugged, yet economical and safe in adverse weather. I looked at used Subaru's, and in the Pacific NorthWest, you can't find one that has been on the lot over 10 days. They go really quick, and for top dollar. After looking, I realized I needed something with a little more "pizzazz".

Enter Stage Left, Mercedes-Benz GLK350

Vehicle has been great for the little amount of time I've owned it. I made the comparison as a "Sexy Subaru Forester". The 4MATIC is AWD, and that was a big selling point for me. Handles and drives amazing; smooth, quite, responsive. If you considering the RWD these qualities aren't lost, but you would be losing a lot that this vehicle has to offer. The interior is what you would expect from Mercedes-Benz; clean lines, aesthetics, and accessibility. Everything seems to be right where you would want it. And you mention that the sound of the vehicle isn't as intimidating/aggressive as the G-Wagon. Agreed, but the V6 has enough power to get your heart going a little faster (During my test drive, I pinned the accelerator as I took a Freeway On-Ramp. Before merging I was @ 95mph, and had the salesman laughing and grabbing the 'oh-**** handle').

I only have a few reservations about this vehicle, and most are due to buying a vehicle from 2010. A few electronic conveniences aren't working/usable as I expected. The Music Register/HDD aren't the easiest to manipulate with newer technology. I have an iPhone 6, and I'm having to either purchase adaptors OR import media via PCMCIA & SD cards. My vehicle doesn't have an 3.5 AUX input, which really confuses me.
I have also seen 2 Forum Posts having issues with the brakes, but I haven't experienced anything of the sort (Issue with extreme pedal depression to fully engage brakes). Other than that, I haven't seen any 'Red-Flag' issues.

Overall, with 3 days behind the wheel, I am loving the GLK350. For someone like me, its the perfect vehicle.

Hope this helps,
ChipTheQuick

Old 09-21-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Why would a 19 year old want a small wagon? For 20K you could be running a 67 mustang in pretty nice shape. Since there are many places from which you can buy new parts very cheaply including a whole new car frame, body engines ect.

Grandson's '67, bought for $3k, including '87 302, put about 4K in could use another $2-3k to really make it shine. He learned welding, and basic auto mechanics so he will be set in the future with auto knowledge.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:22 PM

350 GLK, C280
I do have a 2010 GLK with 85,000 on it and no major problems, The electronics for an ipod or Bluetooth are not what today's cars have, but it is 5 years old. It has been a reliable form of transportation with enough room to move most things. While the newer ones have better mileage, I get about 18 on the 7 mile trips to work and 23 on the 150 mile trips during the weekends.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:58 AM

Ford Escape 06
Originally Posted by Inyoury
I think that sounds a bit high priced for a 2010 model and you won't have the warranties. Wait a bit till the GLCs come around.

How long do you intend to keep it? If only for a few years, why not lease a new one? I know you don't build any equity with leases. Maybe there will be a great lease deal for the GLCs?
I intend to keep it for at least 5 years and then when I feel like it's time for a new car I was planning on jumping into a used G wagon. I'm very rough with my cars I work a lot so I don't tend to wash them much and at time the interiors can become a mess. I also carry a lot of heavy duty tools so the leather is prone to getting torn. I park near a lot of construction sites so my car will already most likely get scratched. I don't wanna get anything new or leased because I'm just looking for something I can heavily use without worrying about going overboard and going against the terms of my contract.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:03 AM

Ford Escape 06
Originally Posted by ChipTheQuick
Benzach,
I just purchased a 2010 GLK350 4MATIC, about 3 days ago, and I'm loving it. I also was looking for a functional, yet classy vehicle, and landed on the GLK350.

I have been a long-time Subaru owner because of my love for the outdoors. I needed something rugged, yet economical and safe in adverse weather. I looked at used Subaru's, and in the Pacific NorthWest, you can't find one that has been on the lot over 10 days. They go really quick, and for top dollar. After looking, I realized I needed something with a little more "pizzazz".

Enter Stage Left, Mercedes-Benz GLK350

Vehicle has been great for the little amount of time I've owned it. I made the comparison as a "Sexy Subaru Forester". The 4MATIC is AWD, and that was a big selling point for me. Handles and drives amazing; smooth, quite, responsive. If you considering the RWD these qualities aren't lost, but you would be losing a lot that this vehicle has to offer. The interior is what you would expect from Mercedes-Benz; clean lines, aesthetics, and accessibility. Everything seems to be right where you would want it. And you mention that the sound of the vehicle isn't as intimidating/aggressive as the G-Wagon. Agreed, but the V6 has enough power to get your heart going a little faster (During my test drive, I pinned the accelerator as I took a Freeway On-Ramp. Before merging I was @ 95mph, and had the salesman laughing and grabbing the 'oh-**** handle').

I only have a few reservations about this vehicle, and most are due to buying a vehicle from 2010. A few electronic conveniences aren't working/usable as I expected. The Music Register/HDD aren't the easiest to manipulate with newer technology. I have an iPhone 6, and I'm having to either purchase adaptors OR import media via PCMCIA & SD cards. My vehicle doesn't have an 3.5 AUX input, which really confuses me.
I have also seen 2 Forum Posts having issues with the brakes, but I haven't experienced anything of the sort (Issue with extreme pedal depression to fully engage brakes). Other than that, I haven't seen any 'Red-Flag' issues.

Overall, with 3 days behind the wheel, I am loving the GLK350. For someone like me, its the perfect vehicle.

Hope this helps,
ChipTheQuick

Hmmm thank you ChipTheQuick, it's nice to know you have not experienced anything major so far, makes me more confident with my purchase. I guess I could also buy a couple adaptors and to be honest I prefer to use my phone for navigation and music more then I like to use car controls so I think I could live with the electronics issues if any occurred in my vehicle. I guess this could be the car for me. I'll have to get on a good deal as soon as I can

Thank you

Benzach
Old 09-22-2015, 01:09 AM

Ford Escape 06
Originally Posted by bop11
Why would a 19 year old want a small wagon? For 20K you could be running a 67 mustang in pretty nice shape. Since there are many places from which you can buy new parts very cheaply including a whole new car frame, body engines ect.

Grandson's '67, bought for $3k, including '87 302, put about 4K in could use another $2-3k to really make it shine. He learned welding, and basic auto mechanics so he will be set in the future with auto knowledge.
Wow that's one clean mustang.I would do anything to be able to have a nice sports car instead of an SUV but unfortunately here in New Jersey our winter is terrible and I almost always get called in to work. I also live in a mountainous region on a hill so I would desperately need a high ground clearance car with AWD. Not one person in my neighborhood does not own an SUV, it's a necessity on my street and unfortunately for me I'll need an SUV to get around.
My friend actually bought the Mustang last summer and made fun of my car for a good 4 months until the first snow storm. A couple months later he had to return it because it became obsolete in snow and some rainstorms.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:10 AM

Ford Escape 06
Originally Posted by bop11
I do have a 2010 GLK with 85,000 on it and no major problems, The electronics for an ipod or Bluetooth are not what today's cars have, but it is 5 years old. It has been a reliable form of transportation with enough room to move most things. While the newer ones have better mileage, I get about 18 on the 7 mile trips to work and 23 on the 150 mile trips during the weekends.
I think that's it, I am deadset on buying it. I've heard nothing but good about this car.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:40 AM

350 GLK, C280
Actually the Mustang is in NJ. Good luck with the GLK. I think it will easily go the 5 years and will haul those heavy tools. The big plus is, that if you need to travel far, you will arrive in good comfortable shape. I have had several Rovers from Defenders to RR Sports and I found the GLK very good in the snow in comparison. Although the alarms keep you from hauling long wood with the back open, the roof is plenty strong for sheets of plywood. I have had several 2x4's, 4x4'x and 2x10's on the roof rack loading double the recommended with no problems.
Enjoy the ride and don't be a stranger to this board.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I bought my '10 GLK350 4Matic a couple years ago with 54K on it.
It has 91K now and has given me zero trouble.
Fun to drive and reliable.
Don't know about the $150 oil changes though. I buy $50 of Mobil 1 0-40 ESP oil from either Walmart or OReilly's and an $11 fleece filter from Amazon. I suck the oil out and change the filter all from the top of the engine in about 15 minutes.