GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Remote Start Mid City Engineering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 ML350 4Matic
Remote Start Mid City Engineering

I looked and didn't find anyone discussing installation and use of a remote starter from www.midcityengineering.com, so I'll add in my experience. (Note, Midcity Engineering has sold to the end user for only a couple years.)

I have a 2015 GLK350 with keyless go. After talking with the very knowledgeable sales staff, Santa provided the SmartKey Starter SKSNG204D3 and a pair of Compustar Pro R3 remotes (with antenna) in exchange for an agreement that I would install it. This unit injects remote start signals directly into the CAN bus and requires no messing around with anything beyond low level bus signals (i.e., no starter relays). It's a very elegant solution and allows for some cool additions that I'll describe below.

The installation was a bit tedious and took me about 7 hours to complete. Instructions were "a good start", but not detailed enough for me to finish without some help. The technical help was outstanding.

I started the process with installing the antenna near the rear view mirror and routing the wiring down the passenger side of the windshield. Then I opened up the passenger side floor to reveal the keyless-go connection block. Then I got down to the main installation. The trim pieces come off as described and the initial wiring/programming was OK, but I'd make a few additions.
  • I'd suggest additionally removing the video display bezel and display as that opens up using the space "over" the glove compartment to pass wires through. Also the main unit can be attached to the panel behind the display after running the wiring harness down to the EIS (i.e., key switch). I wouldn't bother removing the lower dash cover on the driver's side as there's no need if you remove the video screen - and there's no room down there anyway! The Compustar antenna wire reaches comfortably to the video display area. I think the antenna wiring might be a bit short to get it to reach down under the driver's dash.
  • Some patience is needed in figuring out how to change the connectors to connect in the t-harness. There's not much extra length in the OEM harness to see and figure out what needs to be done to mechanically separate the inner core from the shell. The approach is clever and the outcome is assured, but it's a bit awkward to do your first (?) time.
  • I found gaining access to the keyless go harness to be a bit of a struggle and ended up removing the bolts and lifiting up the passenger seat to free up the flooring. Even then it's a bit awkward to get to the connection block. Again, patience is needed to figure out how to mechanically release each electrical connector from the strip.
  • Keyless-Go requires picking up a wire from the terminal block and reconnecting to the main unit. Choosing the right wire pair gave me two candidates and required a few phone calls to sort out with the incredibly helpful staff.
  • There was also an issue which I caused having to do with too much testing/checking involving very short run times between starts. The symptom was that the parking lights would flash five times, but the car wouldn't start remotely. The staff walked me through this and suggestion was made, that for each start, to let the car run for at least 30 seconds before shutting down.
  • The description of programming the Compustar remotes was outdated and inadequately described in the instructions. Again the staff was very helpful, sent me a video and also talked me through it in the car. They are also updating this aspect on the website.
The bottom line is that the SmartKey Starter works flawlessly. With the exception of a little antenna module, which you can't see from the driver's position, it's completely transparent in "normal" use. Upon remote start, the unit senses temperature outside and will start the defroster and seat heaters if below a programmable set point. Run time, number of starts, lighting and ventilated seats (which I don't have) are also programmable.

Did I mention how very helpful the staff were?

Best part of all - no broken plastic despite doing the install at less than 10F outside. I suspect that having an electric heater running in the car all day probably helped!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 PM

2008 ML350 4Matic
A six month update: No issues. Very happy with it.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:55 PM

2008 ML350 4Matic
One year update: Absolutely still loving it. It's both flawless and delightful, especially when it's cold and miserable weather. The best part is that when you cross the frozen tundra to get to your car, the automatic seat heating is on, too!
Old 02-15-2019, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
It sounds and reads like an advertisement
Old 01-30-2020, 07:58 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
09 E63
“There was also an issue which I caused having to do with too much testing/checking involving very short run times between starts. The symptom was that the parking lights would flash five times, but the car wouldn't start remotely. The staff walked me through this and suggestion was made, that for each start, to let the car run for at least 30 seconds before shutting down.”

was only waiting longer start times the issue? Was some sort of reset needed? I’m having the same issue. Thanks
Old 01-31-2020, 01:30 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 SL550, 2016 GLE350, 2016 GLC300
Originally Posted by Mmr1
It sounds and reads like an advertisement
We definitely weren't behind this ad-like post, but we're definitely glad that this customer took the time to meticulously outline their experience and express their satisfaction with our product!
Old 01-31-2020, 01:32 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 SL550, 2016 GLE350, 2016 GLC300
Originally Posted by anomadtoo
“There was also an issue which I caused having to do with too much testing/checking involving very short run times between starts. The symptom was that the parking lights would flash five times, but the car wouldn't start remotely. The staff walked me through this and suggestion was made, that for each start, to let the car run for at least 30 seconds before shutting down.”

was only waiting longer start times the issue? Was some sort of reset needed? I’m having the same issue. Thanks
anomadtoo: Please give us a call so that we can properly help you with your issue. 312.421.1114 -- select option 2 for support.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MLK 430
I've looked into it. There are maybe 3 or 4 choices for a GLK remote starters.

The past 2 cars I've had, I put Compustar remote starters on with a total investment of around $300 for two way including the iDataLink setup. Some variation of having to program it specifically for your car via USB.

I wish I was ready to drop $500+ for DIY installation but that isn't on the radar anytime soon.