ESL motor replacement/delete Central Florida

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 09:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK350
ESL motor replacement/delete Central Florida

Hi everybody!

Ive used the search feature (correctly, I hope) to try and answer this question without too much luck.

2012 GLK350.

Im having intermittent failure of the steering wheel lock motor.

I live in Central Florida, in Brevard County (where the rockets are launched from.) I was hoping someone here knew of a shop that could replace the motor, or someone here in my areas does the swap as a service. Anywhere within 100 miles of the Orlando Metro area is fine by me!

Ive read through the DIY thread for the repair, and seeing as I’d need a full complement of tools, I’d rather give someone else who knows what they’re doing that money.

Additional info:
Typically, if I don’t hear it unlock at key insert, removing the key and remove-inserting will result in the column unlocking. It seems to unlock very quickly, taking only 1-2 seconds for the motor to disengage, which indicated to the Indy shop I spoke to that it *might* be a wiring harness that’s damaged.

Before it becomes a permanent failure, I’d like to correct it, without purchasing an entire new ESL/EIS assembly from MB.

We have a local Indy shop in Viera that can actually order a coded ESL unit from Mercedes Benz, but because of the necessary agreements with MB to allow them purchase of coded security items, they are not able to make a repair that’s not in line with how Mercedes says the repair should be performed.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:45 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
there is a guy in Texas, and Charles in Canada, both offer 'delete' modules. You find them by searching this forum and ebay. I will prob use Charles when my number is up.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:42 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by B737
there is a guy in Texas, and Charles in Canada, both offer 'delete' modules. You find them by searching this forum and ebay. I will prob use Charles when my number is up.
If I found the correct listing on eBay, then I found the guy in Canada. Though it could also just be a random listing.

Im just a little concerned about mailing my key, EIS, and ESL to a stranger in another Country. Though the $300 price tag is a downright bargain in comparison.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 GLK 220 cdi
Originally Posted by LadyS
Hi everybody!

Ive used the search feature (correctly, I hope) to try and answer this question without too much luck.

2012 GLK350.

Im having intermittent failure of the steering wheel lock motor.

I live in Central Florida, in Brevard County (where the rockets are launched from.) I was hoping someone here knew of a shop that could replace the motor, or someone here in my areas does the swap as a service. Anywhere within 100 miles of the Orlando Metro area is fine by me!

Ive read through the DIY thread for the repair, and seeing as I’d need a full complement of tools, I’d rather give someone else who knows what they’re doing that money.

Additional info:
Typically, if I don’t hear it unlock at key insert, removing the key and remove-inserting will result in the column unlocking. It seems to unlock very quickly, taking only 1-2 seconds for the motor to disengage, which indicated to the Indy shop I spoke to that it *might* be a wiring harness that’s damaged.

Before it becomes a permanent failure, I’d like to correct it, without purchasing an entire new ESL/EIS assembly from MB.

We have a local Indy shop in Viera that can actually order a coded ESL unit from Mercedes Benz, but because of the necessary agreements with MB to allow them purchase of coded security items, they are not able to make a repair that’s not in line with how Mercedes says the repair should be performed.
Take it to your indy shop, tell them to remove ESL and replace the motor...it is the cheapest way how to do it...motor costs around 15 $...do it ASAP becouse if it fails totally you can lock EIS and then you will need somebody with software to unlock EIS...
Old 01-23-2019, 08:04 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by Marek_Norway
Take it to your indy shop, tell them to remove ESL and replace the motor...it is the cheapest way how to do it...motor costs around 15 $...do it ASAP becouse if it fails totally you can lock EIS and then you will need somebody with software to unlock EIS...
well, that’s sort of the goal. As I said, the best local, independent Mercedes shop doesn’t do a motor replacement because of their ability to order new, coded ESL and EIS units.

So that’s why I came here asking if anyone in my general area was familiar with a shop that did, or did it themselves.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
I do not think a local mechanic is going to take the time, or have the know how to take apart that fiddly unit and swap out the motor with another one that is likely junk. This is more of a home / DIY type procedure. Charles has been doing these delete modules for a long time, and i think the guy in Texas has too. I would not think twice to use them.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 GLK 220 cdi
Originally Posted by LadyS

well, that’s sort of the goal. As I said, the best local, independent Mercedes shop doesn’t do a motor replacement because of their ability to order new, coded ESL and EIS units.

So that’s why I came here asking if anyone in my general area was familiar with a shop that did, or did it themselves.
Take it to whatever indy shop, let them remove the ESL, take it home, find a threat about swapping motor, do the motor swap, bring it back to the indy and let them put it back together, pay the work...
Old 01-23-2019, 06:17 PM

GLK350
Take it to whatever indy shop, let them remove the ESL, take it home, find a threat about swapping motor, do the motor swap, bring it back to the indy and let them put it back together, pay the work...
Genius, thank you!

I always overlook the easy path.