GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK350 - US VERSION - TAILLIGHT AMBER

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
GLK350 - US VERSION - TAILLIGHT AMBER

Hey guys, new the forum. I want to add rear amber turn signals to my US version x204 - 4matic. Currently, the brake and turn signal is the same pin/wire (pin5). Has anyone done this conversion/modification? I took out the entire taillight out and started testing, what pin does what?
This is what I came up with. Mind you, there's a secondary harness that connects to the carrier where the main harness connects to and reverse bulb goes. There is a socket for a PY21W bulb ( by factory it's empty, no bulb installed) that connects to pin 6, but not sure if it'll work simultaneously with the brake/turn signal pin 5 (red and amber blinking altogether) if the amber bulb gets installed. See picture attached/shown for wiring diagram. FYI - there's no wire on pin #2

If the pin functions are wrong, please correct me.

This is for the 2nd generation of US versions of GLK's (2013-2015 only) not the first generation of GLK's.

***THIS IS NOT FOR FIRST GENERATION GLK'S. ONLY US VERSION OF GLK350 V6 4MATIC - US VERSION (NOT GLK250).
Old 04-03-2021, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 212 Posts
2013 glk 350
With a red lens how will amber be different ? the extra socket might be a night light controlled by a dash button for parking on unlit streets . Maybe a European requirement
Old 04-03-2021, 02:43 PM

GLK350
Hey, thanks for the reply. It'll be different because on the bottom portion of the taillight housing, there's a clear section for the reverse bulb (the clear strip). Everything above that is red (DRL's fiber optic style light, fog left side lamp and brake/turn signal).
However, next to the reverse bulb on either side, there's an empty section and socket for a PY21W bulb (which can be amber). I was wondering if someone had done this mod before or how to isolate them separately. Not sure if by installing the PY21W bulb, both amber and brake/turn signal (red) will work at the same time (simultaneously). If it involves coding, has anyone does this?
Old 04-05-2021, 07:11 PM

GLK350
******UPDATE********

I found out what that wire does on pin #6. It's for the amber turn signal as I suspected. For the north American market, we never got this feature. The thing is, it's disabled either by coding/programming or a fuse that needs to be connected or installed. I tested all pins with a 9v battery and by connecting to make 18v as well. See picture attached/shown. I'll also provide a diagram for the update.

Updated US version GLK350 with pin #6 disabled shown. The black and yellow wire (pin #6) is installed and is dead. Even if you install a bulb inside the taillight, it won't turn on.

This is proof of amber turn signal capability - just needs programming to separate from stop/brake and red turn signal. To achieve this, I used two 9v batteries to produce 18v to turn on all lights. Light order shown: Tube/fiber optic style brake light (solid giant red) fog light (above reverse light) amber turn signal (disabled by factory - shown to the left of reverse light) reverse light
Old 04-06-2021, 01:08 AM

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
yes
Very interested in this and the solution. I would also like to have this option. As I'm sure you know most of the world uses the Amber portion for turn signals on the GLK and all other vehicles. Red turn signals are complete, antiquated nonsense.

Originally Posted by VladiVladii
******UPDATE********

I found out what that wire does on pin #6. It's for the amber turn signal as I suspected. For the north American market, we never got this feature. The thing is, it's disabled either by coding/programming or a fuse that needs to be connected or installed. I tested all pins with a 9v battery and by connecting to make 18v as well. See picture attached/shown. I'll also provide a diagram for the update.

Updated US version GLK350 with pin #6 disabled shown. The black and yellow wire (pin #6) is installed and is dead. Even if you install a bulb inside the taillight, it won't turn on.

This is proof of amber turn signal capability - just needs programming to separate from stop/brake and red turn signal. To achieve this, I used two 9v batteries to produce 18v to turn on all lights. Light order shown: Tube/fiber optic style brake light (solid giant red) fog light (above reverse light) amber turn signal (disabled by factory - shown to the left of reverse light) reverse light
Old 04-06-2021, 09:30 AM

GLK350
It would be cool! I agree. I've done some custom subtle mods to my GLK. I was trying to mimic the Schwartz Edition that never made it to the North American market.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:35 AM

yes
One of these years I may be having to register and get my car inspected in a European country so I'll actually need this change.

Seems like there were way more interesting additions and options for GLKs outside the North American market. It's shocking to learn just how many U.S. spec. GLKs came with the, by all accounts, crappy standard headlights. Sure, lowers the price quite a bit but for a luxury brand with an emphasis on safety it's "out of place."

It would be cool! I agree. I've done some custom subtle mods to my GLK. I was trying to mimic the Schwartz Edition that never made it to the North American market.
The following users liked this post:
andreigbs (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 10:50 AM

GLK350
Nice! This feature does exist as Euro specs/requirements, requires them to have a amber color turn signal everywhere. There were so many additions in different packaging styles that we never got. For example, the AMG rims -- we either got all silver with lathe cut, or lathe cut with iridium silver, or all silver (all silver was for first gen style). The Euro market got lathe cut with black. For the seats, they got actual designo style seats, we didn't. We got basic leather (they call it designo, but it's not, huge difference) or MBtex which is the basic.

For the front headlights, (if you got the ILS system), the eyebrow for the North American market is amber color (not a turn signal) but it is also the DRL if you switch it manually on the console. It's stupid because the "front fog lights" is also the DRL's (if you leave the light switch on auto mode). But if you want to manually leave the day time on, the fog DRL's goes off and uses the amber color eyebrow.

However, for the European market, that same eyebrow is not amber color but uses a 6500K color and it also comes without the amber side markers that we have.
I changed my OEM halogen to aftermarket Euro style. They perform much better than the OEM ILS (intelligent lighting system)-- except they don't moves when turning the wheel or when cornering.

If you are able to find someone, let me how to activate the rear amber wire/pin. Document everything and please share!
Old 04-06-2021, 11:09 AM

yes
I believe the amber turn signal in Europe is not even LED like the rest of the rear lighting on the second generation GLK. That's kind of odd. Maybe the bean counters at work again.

It will probably be a number of years before I might be looking into this possible turn signal change seriously.

I WANT ventilated seats. How do you NOT even offer that on the U.S. market? Crazy...

Nice! This feature does exist as Euro specs/requirements, requires them to have a amber color turn signal everywhere. There were so many additions in different packaging styles that we never got. For example, the AMG rims -- we either got all silver with lathe cut, or lathe cut with iridium silver, or all silver (all silver was for first gen style). The Euro market got lathe cut with black. For the seats, they got actual designo style seats, we didn't. We got basic leather (they call it designo, but it's not, huge difference) or MBtex which is the basic.

For the front headlights, (if you got the ILS system), the eyebrow for the North American market is amber color (not a turn signal) but it is also the DRL if you switch it manually on the console. It's stupid because the "front fog lights" is also the DRL's (if you leave the light switch on auto mode). But if you want to manually leave the day time on, the fog DRL's goes off and uses the amber color eyebrow.

However, for the European market, that same eyebrow is not amber color but uses a 6500K color and it also comes without the amber side markers that we have.
I changed my OEM halogen to aftermarket Euro style. They perform much better than the OEM ILS (intelligent lighting system)-- except they don't moves when turning the wheel or when cornering.

If you are able to find someone, let me how to activate the rear amber wire/pin. Document everything and please share!
Old 04-06-2021, 11:13 AM

GLK350
You're right, it's not LED. I bought them off Amazon and they are super bright, just a little brighter than my OEM stop lights. I thought vent seats was offered in the US??? But what pisses me off the most is that none of the GLK's got to be on an actual AMG line! You can tell they had it in mind because in the front of the engine between the fan, there's plenty of space for a V8!
Old 04-06-2021, 01:41 PM

yes
It's possible they were offered in the U.S. but I never saw them otherwise I would have ordered mine with those seats.

Actually I would have been happier with a smaller engine and better gas mileage, but still a six cylinder. For me 250 hp would be okay. Plenty of lower, lighter, more aerodynamic vehicles around for spirited/fast driving.

You're right, it's not LED. I bought them off Amazon and they are super bright, just a little brighter than my OEM stop lights. I thought vent seats was offered in the US??? But what pisses me off the most is that none of the GLK's got to be on an actual AMG line! You can tell they had it in mind because in the front of the engine between the fan, there's plenty of space for a V8!
Old 04-06-2021, 01:48 PM

GLK350
The seat were possible in designo for North American market, but the European designo style seats were MUCH MUCH nicer looking. take a look:
Euro designo style seats

Euro market just happened to get the nicer things
Old 04-06-2021, 01:57 PM

yes
I've seen those in photos before. The interior is already good looking but that really adds a touch of class.

Really odd since Euro cars sold in the U.S. used to almost always have higher minimum specs. regarding trim level. Used to see Mercedes, BMW, Audis etc. in Europe with stripped down interiors you would never see in the states. You wouldn't even be able to order them at such basic specs. for the U.S., some years ago.

The seat were possible in designo for North American market, but the European designo style seats were MUCH MUCH nicer looking. take a look:
Euro designo style seats

Euro market just happened to get the nicer things
Old 01-06-2022, 05:52 AM

Mercedes-Benz W124 Coupe E320 1995
You just need to make codings with Vediamo. The wiring is the same.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 Mercedes Benz GLK350
VladiVladii, did you ever succeed in wiring that bulb into your GLK350? I would like to do this with my '15 model. Thanks
Old 05-12-2022, 02:38 AM

GLK300 2014
hello i know this is old but I own a 2014 glk300 (Mexican version, very similar to European version) which comes with amber turn signal, today I replaced the taillight because I hoy a post, however I bought the lamp on eBay (U.S. since I live just across the border form San Diego and Mexico so it’s very common for us to cross to the U.S. but that’s another topic) I installed the new lamp and when I was driving and turn on the right signal I got a message saying the bulb was burned, I checked and the turn signal was the brake light, I disassembled it and noticed there was not amber light bulb, then I came to this thread and noticed the pin you mentioned, however by following the wire to the lamp I noticed the same wire goes to the stop light and the aluminum plate that goes there also goes to the amber bulb, I just plugged in the amber bulb and it worked, I assume now that you just need to put a bulb there and it should work, and I think that is connected under the same wire in case the bulb goes out, the turn signal keeps working but using the brake light, I don’t know if I make sense, here are some pictures of the wire a d aluminum plate/diagrame that’s connects the same wire to the brake light and amber bulb, I hope this help someone trying to do the same as you

******UPDATE********

Old 05-15-2022, 02:34 PM

Still need advice

Luis, I bought two LED bulbs from Amazon. They fit right in. However, they don't light up. Did you have to change any of the wiring? Maybe the Mexican GLK series is the same as the European? I'd like to get these to work, but if I jump to the wire for the turn/brake light, the amber lens will light up when I use the brakes. There must be another solution?
Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:45 PM

GLK300 2014
Originally Posted by RussBarnes
Luis, I bought two LED bulbs from Amazon. They fit right in. However, they don't light up. Did you have to change any of the wiring? Maybe the Mexican GLK series is the same as the European? I'd like to get these to work, but if I jump to the wire for the turn/brake light, the amber lens will light up when I use the brakes. There must be another solution?
Thanks to anyone who can help.
Hello, I did not change any of the wiring, so the OEM lightbulb is halogen, I assume that will make it work since they work different, when I installed the twilight I did not noticed initially that there was no amber lightbulb installed, when I tested it I got an error on the screen saying that bulb was out, when I went to see I saw red light working as the turn light, I assume that’s why it need to be halogen and maybe in this version the red light works as a backup turn signal and also as a brake light, if you check the wiring ln the twilight you will see the socket for the amber lightbulb is connected to the pin 1 base on the aluminum plate the, then the wire coming from the pin 1 goes to the red brake light and just getting to the light there is a connection made there I assume for the brake signal, I don’t know if that makes se se but that made me assume that just plugging in the amber lightbulb would work, and it did, I assume it needs to be halogen. By the way, the amber lightbulb is 21 watts.

Last edited by LuisGLK300; 05-15-2022 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:19 PM

Luis, thank you for your comment . I will try a Halogen and post back in case others who are reading this would like to try the same upgrade.

However, the US connection has one more wire than the connector you showed. And the colors are different. Maybe that's the difference?

Last edited by RussBarnes; 05-15-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:26 PM

GLK300 2014
Originally Posted by RussBarnes
Luis, thank you for your comment . I will try a Halogen and post back in case others who are reading this would like to try the same upgrade.

However, the US connection has more wires than the connector you showed. Maybe that's the difference?

mmm that would be interesting to know, the la o in the picture is the original one that came with the Mexican version, the replacement lamp I got is from the U.S. I did not noticed more wires, but I noticed different colors, hope it works for you with the halogen bulb.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:08 AM

GLK 350
2013 GLK 350 US Spec

Hello,

I’m also facing the same issue of wanting the amber turn signals to be activated, but being stuck with the US spec.

Firstly, what size halogen bulb are you guys putting in the tail light?

And do I have to add wires to activate the amber turn signal? I was a little confused on that part. I understand that there is a turn signal specific port. I just don’t know where to get a wire to put in there.

Did you guys have to recode the ECU or did plugging a wire into the amber port #6 activate the ambers?