GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

What kind of tires do the GLS come with?

Old 08-12-2016, 03:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
gl550
What kind of tires do the GLS come with?

Are they run flats or regular? I'm particularly interested in the GLS450 19' and 20's.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLS450 (on order)
The GLS 450 I test drove had Continentals on it. I've been curious as to whether they all have the same tires.

Last edited by First One; 08-13-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
GLS350d
My 350d came with 21 Pirelli P Zero, have had them replaced within a month of ownership now running Continentals and could not be happier.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLS450 (on order)
I watched a video a few minutes ago & that GLS 450 had Continentals too. I wish they would ship mine...it's been built over 2 weeks & is still sitting in Tuscaloosca.

Last edited by First One; 08-13-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-12-2016, 07:11 PM

GLS350d
I've heard that Kumho's are a preferred supplier to MB, I told the dealership if my car came with those I wouldn't take the car.
Hopefully he was joking, as I'm not a fan of that tyre brand.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
Originally Posted by Wanty
My 350d came with 21 Pirelli P Zero, have had them replaced within a month of ownership now running Continentals and could not be happier.
What's wrong with the P Zeros? I have them mounted as well on mine.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:00 PM

GLS350d
Tyre's where damaged in the delivery process resulting in vibration throughout the vehicle, only noticeable at highway speed. That's what I was told by MB
Old 08-13-2016, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Kumho is a preferred brand by MB on North American Sprinter's... Kumho is not a approved brand for passenger/cars-SUV's..

Since you spell Tyre - have no idea which country you are in ...
Old 08-14-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Porsche GT3, 2017 Mercedes GLS550 White/saddle, 2017 Ford Raptor
Continental Cross Contacts. GLS 550
Old 08-15-2016, 04:49 AM

GLS350d
Australia
Old 08-15-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 GLS 450 2017 E300 Sport
I Have the continentals 19 inch and could't be happier. Test drove a GLS 450 with the upgraded "sports tires" and noticed a bit more road noise. I think the appearance package comes with the Pirelli tires.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 Porsche Panamera 4, 2017 Mercedes GLS550, 2015 Porsche 911 4S
Originally Posted by silvertige
Lets see how long these Conti's last but I'm glad they are All Seasons. Hopefully they are manageable in snow, if not then need to look for snow tires in winter.
13'450 with Pirelli Scorpions were done at 23K miles. Got them replaced with same ones at Discount tires with 60K tread warranty.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
gl550
Originally Posted by baobay
I Have the continentals 19 inch and could't be happier. Test drove a GLS 450 with the upgraded "sports tires" and noticed a bit more road noise. I think the appearance package comes with the Pirelli tires.
That's why I'm going with the 19's... there are no runflats for the 19 wheel though, as far as I can tell.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 GLS 450 2017 E300 Sport
I don't believe any of the GLS come with run flats. Even the AMG models have a collapsible tire and a pump built in to inflate it.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C63s, 2021 E63s Estate
21" Contis on the 63
Old 08-20-2016, 08:54 PM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
--
Originally Posted by silvertige
Same here. Continental Cross Contact UHP.

Bought some Pirelli Scorpion Winters for Nov-March cause I wanted to err on the side of unstoppable in the winter
Old 08-23-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'21 GLS63 AMG, '15 S63 AMG Coupé
Originally Posted by Wanty
What's the difference? I have Pirelli 21" on my new 500, and I'm not 100% happy. It feels a bit "nervous" on the road.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:19 PM

GLS350d
I'm sure you are like me and know how the car should feel, first thing I noticed was the tires where over inflated, plus unbalanced , yes unbalanced. ( I have the report in writing ) From there it got progressively worse when driving at speed , I was told the tires where damaged in delivery but I have my doubts. I sincerely hope my car has no long term damage.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:13 PM

2017 GLS 550 - 2023 S580
Originally Posted by EL3470
Same here. Continental Cross Contact UHP.

Bought some Pirelli Scorpion Winters for Nov-March cause I wanted to err on the side of unstoppable in the winter
Teh dealer claims the cross contact UHP are all season tires but the tire rack considers them summer only tires. Do you have any idea why the discrepancy?
Old 10-15-2016, 07:52 PM

--
Originally Posted by dfride
Teh dealer claims the cross contact UHP are all season tires but the tire rack considers them summer only tires. Do you have any idea why the discrepancy?
the all season rating is a touch generous. That being said, the tires are def serviceable in the winter, not necessarily a liability by any stretch.

for me me there have been too many situations where I didn't feel as comfortable as I would have liked on the slippery stuff
Old 10-15-2016, 10:42 PM

2017 GLS 550 - 2023 S580
the all season rating is a touch generous. That being said, the tires are def serviceable in the winter, not necessarily a liability by any stretch.

for me me there have been too many situations where I didn't feel as comfortable as I would have liked on the slippery stuff
Dealer says the Cross contacts UHP are "all season". their order sheets show all season tires, but tire rack has them in the "street/Sport truck summer" category. I had a 2010 GL550 that had the same issue. i called tire rack and they indicated it was a summer tire. i then called Continental and asked what category the OEM tire at the time should be in and they said "summer". I then asked how Mercedes can have the same tire as all season since the sidewall on the OEM tire says M+S or all season and their reply to me on the phone was "Mercedes told them to do it". Below is the tire racks comments on the tire;

"The CrossContact UHP is Continental's Street/Sport Truck Summer tire designed for luxury-oriented and high-performance four-wheel drive sport utility vehicles. Like all summer tires, CrossContact UHP tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.*

CrossContact UHP tires use a silica-enhanced tread compound to combine wet and dry road grip with rolling resistance comparable to passenger car tires. The compound is molded into an asymmetric tread pattern that features stable outboard shoulder blocks linked to a continuous rib to promote steering precision and cornering stability. Independent tread blocks flank a circumferential center rib to enhance directional stability and straight-line tracking. Multiple lateral grooves are combined with four, wide circumferential grooves to promote efficient water drainage that enhances hydroplaning resistance and wet traction.

*Several Original Equipment (O.E.) sizes are branded with the M+S symbol to identify they meet all-season design standards and are suitable for driving in occasional light snow. These sizes are identified as M+S on the tire's Specs tab."

so...my question is...are certain sizes of the tire all season and some not??
Old 10-16-2016, 07:29 AM

--
Dealer says the Cross contacts UHP are "all season". their order sheets show all season tires, but tire rack has them in the "street/Sport truck summer" category. I had a 2010 GL550 that had the same issue. i called tire rack and they indicated it was a summer tire. i then called Continental and asked what category the OEM tire at the time should be in and they sai "summer". I then asked how Mercedes can have the same tire as all season since the sidewall on the OEM tire says M+S or all season and their reply to me on the phone was "Mercedes told them to do it". Below is the tire racks comments on the tire;

"The CrossContact UHP is Continental's Street/Sport Truck Summer tire designed for luxury-oriented and high-performance four-wheel drive sport utility vehicles. Like all summer tires, CrossContact UHP tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.*

CrossContact UHP tires use a silica-enhanced tread compound to combine wet and dry road grip with rolling resistance comparable to passenger car tires. The compound is molded into an asymmetric tread pattern that features stable outboard shoulder blocks linked to a continuous rib to promote steering precision and cornering stability. Independent tread blocks flank a circumferential center rib to enhance directional stability and straight-line tracking. Multiple lateral grooves are combined with four, wide circumferential grooves to promote efficient water drainage that enhances hydroplaning resistance and wet traction.

*Several Original Equipment (O.E.) sizes are branded with the M+S symbol to identify they meet all-season design standards and are suitable for driving in occasional light snow. These sizes are identified as M+S on the tire's Specs tab."

so...my question is...are certain sizes of the tire all season and some not??
Certain sizes (for certain manufacturers like Benz, Land Rover, for example) may have MS designation at the request of the car manufacturer but the real question is how trustworthy that designation is with such a low bar being described by Continental. They say they are not meant to be used in freezing temps on the one hand but then says it's ok to drive through occasional light snow.

I think the bottom line is if I was going to run one tire all year long where I live, it would be the Continental DWS that's available now in that size (the last time I checked). In my experiences a more proper all seasons tire

look at the snow ratings on that tire left by others , too

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/ratings-review.jsp

meanwhile tire rack has removed winter ratings for the UHp entirely, I'm guessing because of the confusion Conti has caused in branding it MS. Lots of folks haven't been able to reconcile that rating with real world performance

Last edited by bonboon; 10-16-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:32 PM

2017 GLS 550 - 2023 S580
I know it's been a while since there was a post in this thread, but my ordered GLS550 just arrived and I'm taking delivery next week. The tire issue hasn't changed regarding the M+S designation stamped on the stock tire but according to Continental it's not technically and all season tire.

What I'd like to know is if there is any feedback anyone can offer regarding the stock tires in freezing conditions and more importantly in snow and wet conditions below freezing. My wife will be primarily driving this truck and i don't want to risk using the stock tires if they aren't the best option for me. I'm really looking for comments indicating confidence in these winter conditions I mentioned or a lack of confidence. I don't necessarily want to get rid of the stock tires but i also want the best option on the truck with my wife at the wheel.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 PM

--
I know it's been a while since there was a post in this thread, but my ordered GLS550 just arrived and I'm taking delivery next week. The tire issue hasn't changed regarding the M+S designation stamped on the stock tire but according to Continental it's not technically and all season tire.

What I'd like to know is if there is any feedback anyone can offer regarding the stock tires in freezing conditions and more importantly in snow and wet conditions below freezing. My wife will be primarily driving this truck and i don't want to risk using the stock tires if they aren't the best option for me. I'm really looking for comments indicating confidence in these winter conditions I mentioned or a lack of confidence. I don't necessarily want to get rid of the stock tires but i also want the best option on the truck with my wife at the wheel.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
see my post directly above and would add I have dedicated scorpion winters I use between nov and march. spend 100 dollars to take them off/on two times a year and the tires cost say 1350 or so.

its a no brainer imo if you see snow, ice.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:04 PM

2017 GLS 550 - 2023 S580
see my post directly above and would add I have dedicated scorpion winters I use between nov and march. spend 100 dollars to take them off/on two times a year and the tires cost say 1350 or so.

its a no brainer imo if you see snow, ice.
I understand and agree with you about the dedicated winter tires. I have an unusual situation which I don't want to get into here. In the case of this truck I don't want to have to swap out wheels tires twice a year. I'm looking for a good all season tire so I don't have to swap out the wheels and tires. I already do this with one of our other vehicles. I would like to make the decision to use the stock tires for the first 15K-20K if that's all they really last for OR swap them out if the winter performance feedback is not good. I haven't heard any overly negative feedback on the stock tires.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What kind of tires do the GLS come with?