Notices

Extended warranty prices

 
Old 02-19-2017, 08:33 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Extended warranty prices

Anyone buy the extended warranty? We just pulled the trigger yesterday on a new GLS and they finance guy got me to bite on the extended warranty, dent protection, resistall stuff and the pre paid maintenance.

The extended warranty price he gave me for 7yr/100K was $5400. Seemed way high, but he said Mercedes is an expensive car to fix because they never "fix" any parts, they always just replace. Our plan is to keep that car through the warranty, which means 3 years of extra protection. Not sure if I was just made a sucker.
Dent guard was $1269
Resistall was $1134
Maintenance was $1800 for 4 yr/40K

Anyone get different prices or have opinions on these products?

In particular the maintenance....I just read a typical A service is about $200, and B service is about $400. The maintenance plan is for 4 years/40K miles. That would mean I would only pay $1200 in that time frame vs $1800 they charged. Am I missing something? I usually do my own oil changes, which is really what the A service is, other than "inspecting" things.

Last edited by Viperdoc; 02-19-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Viperdoc is offline  
Old 02-19-2017, 04:16 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 151
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
GLE350d, Porsche TE
I think prepaid maintenance and ELW are worth it if you keep the car. ELW FYI it has value only for YOU, not the next owner as it does not transfer. (Only through MB)

Paid about $1600 US last year for the ELW on a 2015 ML350 Diesel in Canada. (Was 6 year/100k miles)

I would put the resistal money towards 3m clear bra on the nose or in your pocket. same with dent protection.

Last edited by nookie; 02-19-2017 at 04:22 PM.
nookie is offline  
Old 02-20-2017, 07:17 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 529
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
--
Originally Posted by Viperdoc View Post
Anyone buy the extended warranty? We just pulled the trigger yesterday on a new GLS and they finance guy got me to bite on the extended warranty, dent protection, resistall stuff and the pre paid maintenance.

The extended warranty price he gave me for 7yr/100K was $5400. Seemed way high, but he said Mercedes is an expensive car to fix because they never "fix" any parts, they always just replace. Our plan is to keep that car through the warranty, which means 3 years of extra protection. Not sure if I was just made a sucker.
Dent guard was $1269
Resistall was $1134
Maintenance was $1800 for 4 yr/40K

Anyone get different prices or have opinions on these products?

In particular the maintenance....I just read a typical A service is about $200, and B service is about $400. The maintenance plan is for 4 years/40K miles. That would mean I would only pay $1200 in that time frame vs $1800 they charged. Am I missing something? I usually do my own oil changes, which is really what the A service is, other than "inspecting" things.
5400 is very high for the extended warranty.

Dentless repair cost runs about 100-150 per smallish dent at a body shop I really like. So you paying 1270 is equivalent to paying for about 10 dent repairs out of pocket.

Don't have a strong opinion of Resistall, but generally dealers are willing to part with a GLS for 10% off if they can sell you these high margin goods and services. You paid them about 8k for services and products, that's a huge haul for them.

Last edited by bonboon; 02-20-2017 at 03:51 PM.
bonboon is offline  
Old 02-21-2017, 09:11 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: America's Mitten
Posts: 205
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
GL350
Sorry, but you were just made one. Next time research forums first, before buying. Enjoy the car!
mustbebenz is offline  
The following users liked this post: mustbebenz
MaMaChup (03-01-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:47 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2017 GLS 450
thanks. Yes, I came to my senses and cancelled everything. The resistall wasn't put on the car when I purchased...it was too late in the evening and the techs were gone. Filing the paperwork now to cancel it all and get my $10K back. they did do a good job of scaring me into thinking I needed these things to protect the "most expensive car" I've purchased. The paintless dent repair guy I used in Colorado charged $50 per dent.

Last edited by Viperdoc; 02-22-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Viperdoc is offline  
The following users liked this post: Viperdoc
MaMaChup (03-01-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:58 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 68
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Viperdoc View Post
thanks. Yes, I came to my senses and cancelled everything. The resistall wasn't put on the car when I purchased...it was too late in the evening and the techs were gone. Filing the paperwork now to cancel it all and get my $10K back. they did do a good job of scaring me into thinking I needed these things to protect the "most expensive car" I've purchased. The paintless dent repair guy I used in Colorado charged $50 per dent.
Reg. ELW and PPM contact one of the folks mentioned in extended warranty section. You are sure to get lower quote than before. Be mindful ELW will go up by 15% after 30 of initial purchase.

Last edited by TheSpooky; 02-23-2017 at 07:42 AM.
TheSpooky is offline  
Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: America's Mitten
Posts: 205
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
GL350
If you never even picked up the car, I doubt any of the paperwork ever got filed. I don't think you need to fill out any forms to cancel it. I think you just need to tell them to rip up the originals and give you your money back. The distinction could be whether you can cancel ELW from one dealership and then buy it again from another. I would call one of those guys, for example the responsive guy I used at Tafel motors, and find out one way or other about ELW after ELW, or process backroom stuff.
mustbebenz is offline  
Old 02-23-2017, 05:12 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2017 GLS 450
So, turns out USAA was very fast in sending the dealership money. But....I got the dealership to re-do the purchase agreement without the add ons, then they would send USAA a check for the difference and USAA would adjust the loan amount I have to reflect it before my first payment.


Also thanks for the suggestion to call Tafel motors. Spoke to their finance guy who quoted me $2850 for the 7yr/100K extended warranty for the GLS. That is a FAR cry from the $5900 my local dealer tried to charge. Tafel also mentioned the prepaid maintenance is $1400 or so, about $400 cheaper than my local guy. I couldn't believe it when he told me the prices.




Thanks everyone!
Viperdoc is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 12:44 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Danville, CA
Posts: 56
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GLS450 and C300
No way I declined everything. Our local shop is about 1/2 price for standard maint. As for warranty makes no sense to finance and purchase in advance. Price will be higher in 3 years but you can invest the money and if you decide to cancel or sell then you just saved five grand. MBZ will always be happy to sell you the extension down the road and you can probably get a better price from a non-local dealer.
Boraxo is offline  
Old 02-25-2017, 02:47 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 529
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
--
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
No way I declined everything. Our local shop is about 1/2 price for standard maint. As for warranty makes no sense to finance and purchase in advance. Price will be higher in 3 years but you can invest the money and if you decide to cancel or sell then you just saved five grand. MBZ will always be happy to sell you the extension down the road and you can probably get a better price from a non-local dealer.
couple things to consider...

you can extend to 7 yrs / 75k for 2250 or so, 2900 for 7/100. This isn't 5k we are talking about. plus, you can pay out of pocket for that (no financing) but even if you do finance it, you're borrowing at what? 3%? not like yield is falling off trees out there with the stock market where it is, real estate advancing, etc. the opportunity cost isn't crazy to want to keep that 2-3k out there earning something.

secondly, this is the MBUSA warranty product. the exact same as the new car warranty you get when your car is new. sure, third party alternatives exist but for those prices, why bother? this is a superior product at a superior price.

you can always buy the warranty down the road from MB at a higher cost (30 days after you buy the car until just before your 4 yr new car warranty is up) but you can lock in the price now, cancel any time before then, and get your money back. another reason to get it.

plus, if you sell this car third party ever (which i personally often do) the mb extended warranty is of greater value in the private market than any third party offering. very easily recoupable expense.

my 0.02 as you contemplate your 450 purchase

Last edited by bonboon; 02-26-2017 at 08:13 PM.
bonboon is offline  
The following users liked this post: bonboon
MaMaChup (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 08:19 AM
  #11  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by EL3470 View Post
couple things to consider...

you can extend to 7 yrs / 75k for 2250 or so, 2900 for 7/100. This isn't 5k we are talking about. plus, you can pay out of pocket for that (no financing) but even if you do finance it, you're borrowing at what? 3%? not like yield is falling off trees out there with the stock market where it is, real estate advancing, etc. the opportunity cost isn't crazy to want to keep that 2-3k out there earning something.

secondly, this is the MBUSA warranty product. the exact same as the new car warranty you get when your car is new. sure, third party alternatives exist but for those prices, why bother? this is a superior product at a superior price.

you can always buy the warranty down the road from MB at a higher cost (30 days after you buy the car until just before your 4 yr new car warranty is up) but you can lock in the price now, cancel any time before then, and get your money back. another reason to get it.

plus, if you sell this car third party ever (which i personally often do) the mb extended warranty is of greater value in the private market than any third party offering. very easily recoupable expense.

my 0.02 as you contemplate your 450 purchase



Thanks for the input. we already took delivery of the vehicle and absolutely love it. The dealer we got it through is now doing the song and dance of "tell us the prices you were quoted and we will match it." Really bad taste in my mouth about this dealer. I am going to purchase the extended warranty, but not at this dealer's price. They are dragging their feet about refunding me the money immediately or adjusting the price, and I am getting irritated. I am fine with it being financed, as my interest rate is only 1.5%, plus I put a lot down so my payment is low either way. They are 2 hours away from me so it is hard to make a quick trip up there to get it done immediately. Before I advertise which dealer it is I will get these issues fixed in case someone on this forum works there.
Viperdoc is offline  
Old 03-14-2017, 01:11 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
knpnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 73
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
GLS450, RX400h
Originally Posted by Viperdoc View Post
Tafel also mentioned the prepaid maintenance is $1400 or so, about $400 cheaper than my local guy.
Could you please post the prepaid maintenance outline? e.g. Years/Miles/ABA.. that was quoted? Hope to compare that to our local offer.
Thanks!
knpnj is offline  
Old 03-14-2017, 01:18 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2017 GLS 450
maintenance was 4 year/40K miles. It basically included two A services and two B services. It may have come to $1425 (I rounded down for effect). But either way it is much less than my dealer here. Their extended warranty was also only $2850 for 7 year/100K miles
Viperdoc is offline  
The following users liked this post: Viperdoc
knpnj (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 02:10 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
knpnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 73
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
GLS450, RX400h
thanks for that
Was wondering if there were other options beyond the 4yr/40k that are available right off the bat, since we expect to keep the car much longer.
knpnj is offline  
Old 03-14-2017, 03:04 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 68
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by knpnj View Post
thanks for that
Was wondering if there were other options beyond the 4yr/40k that are available right off the bat, since we expect to keep the car much longer.
You can buy 2/3 pack, labelled as "Star Maintenance" that is good for any year after year one till year 7/70k. This covers all required maintenance items. I don't know if they sell anything that covers beyond year 7.
TheSpooky is offline  
Old 03-15-2017, 03:26 PM
  #16  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MB GLS450, Audi Q5, Porsche 911S
GLS450 extras

Just pulled the trigger on this. Wondering what the recommendations are for pre-paid maintenance, windscreen, dent repair and extended warranty. I declined all since the prices quoted were higher and different at the dealer where I bought the car. Any recommendations on where to get the car serviced?
davetaylor777 is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: