GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Clarifying off-road option or not

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
Clarifying off-road option or not

I read thru the thread debating the off-road. I'm putting together my order for a '18 GLS 550.
I have off-road now. I do NOT drive off-road, although occasionally drive on gravel roads. I do use the snow mode when there's snow or ice on the road, but I am not sure what that does (psychosomatic benefit I suppose).

We do get snow and ice, but not high piles of snow. That said, I'd want every advantage for grip in the snow and ice. I have winter wheels with winter tires that I'll use on the new car (MB wheels).

I also get that you get underside protection. I assume that also adds weight.

Will I miss the off-road?
Thanks.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
You wont miss the off road to drive in the snow and ice. Off road is good for added clearance, and mainly for the low range gear ratio. This is not needed for snow driving. Low range increases the torque at the wheel so it increases the risk of wheel slippage. You want to apply as low torque as possible. That's being done by putting the car in snow mode with the selector between the front seat. As for the added clearance, if you need more clearance than what you can get with normal airmatic without offroad package, I dont think you should take that road!
Old 06-03-2017, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
My customers that have it are proud to have it - and I think to have it is neat - have you noticed the NaySayer's are all owner's that don't have it ?

If I had to creep either up or down a icy hill... yes, I would want it on tap... "Slippery mode" is entirely different acting...

" If the GLS model is equipped with the optional Off-Road Engineering package, OFF-ROAD+ mode is also available. With this, the low-range gearbox and center differential lock intervene if necessary in order to ensure a high degree of drivability in demanding off-road terrain. This is further boosted by the extended functions of the AIRMATIC air suspension with raised ride heights for a ground clearance of up to 12.5 inches (306 mm) and a fording depth of up to 23.6 inches (600 mm)."
Old 06-03-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 GLS 550 & 2016 SLK300
Don't forget that it makes it easier to clean the wheel wells. I raise the extra 3 inches on my GLS and no problems cleaning in there.

Ya'll will laugh but I'm serious. I enjoy cleaning the cars and keeping them as spotless as possible.

My biggest reason for ordering with was for the undercarriage protection on PA roads, the ability to better clean is a bonus.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLS450, RX400h
Quite agree with Fab. The Off-road+ and underside protection was well worth for us and great to have the low range and other options in this package.

Thanks for the wheel well cleaning tip GT! Will be sure to raise it up all the way next time
Old 06-06-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W126-500SEC
I offroad my cars, so I find it useful. I also find the low gear with middle diff comes in very handy when manouvering a large trailer.

It DOES however come at a price : there's extra losses in the power transfer. So expect to lose a few horses and burning a bit more fuel. Can't be helped.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 201 Likes on 143 Posts
2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by GeneralToner
Don't forget that it makes it easier to clean the wheel wells. I raise the extra 3 inches on my GLS and no problems cleaning in there.

Ya'll will laugh but I'm serious. I enjoy cleaning the cars and keeping them as spotless as possible.

My biggest reason for ordering with was for the undercarriage protection on PA roads, the ability to better clean is a bonus.
LOL - I do the same thing every time I wash mine. Huge difference.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC300
Will this package give you the second knob to adjust the height?

I have seen pictures of GLS with it, but most of the other pictures shown without it. Only 4 buttons.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 GLS 550 & 2016 SLK300
Shot of my GLS550 interior including knob for offroad package. Push the knob in order to raise/lower for adjustment. Turn the know to raise/lower the GLS.

Wouldn't let me post actual picture for some reason, link to my flickr page with it.

The following users liked this post:
greatcat (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLS450, RX400h
I've previously posted the knob and the raised position here -

https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...ml#post7089703
The following users liked this post:
greatcat (08-02-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
--
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
My customers that have it are proud to have it - and I think to have it is neat - have you noticed the NaySayer's are all owner's that don't have it ?

If I had to creep either up or down a icy hill... yes, I would want it on tap... "Slippery mode" is entirely different acting...

" If the GLS model is equipped with the optional Off-Road Engineering package, OFF-ROAD+ mode is also available. With this, the low-range gearbox and center differential lock intervene if necessary in order to ensure a high degree of drivability in demanding off-road terrain. This is further boosted by the extended functions of the AIRMATIC air suspension with raised ride heights for a ground clearance of up to 12.5 inches (306 mm) and a fording depth of up to 23.6 inches (600 mm)."
hey Fab, I have it on mine but always thought it was not something I'd want to use on slippery (icy) surfaces.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS450/2016 Range Rover Sport
Originally Posted by cincy8
I read thru the thread debating the off-road. I'm putting together my order for a '18 GLS 550.
I have off-road now. I do NOT drive off-road, although occasionally drive on gravel roads. I do use the snow mode when there's snow or ice on the road, but I am not sure what that does (psychosomatic benefit I suppose).

We do get snow and ice, but not high piles of snow. That said, I'd want every advantage for grip in the snow and ice. I have winter wheels with winter tires that I'll use on the new car (MB wheels).

I also get that you get underside protection. I assume that also adds weight.

Will I miss the off-road?
Thanks.
It's better than nothing, you should have it if you can. Of course it is not durable or extreme off road car, it's no way to compete with Range Rover for the off road capability, but it already good enough for your regular usage and take you light off road sometimes.
I wish my car can have it but I don't have choice, it is only one I can get in Toronto now.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W126-500SEC
Originally Posted by gold_rush
snip

It's getting quite annoying reading in every one of your posts about how you think the sun shines out of your RR's behind.

Pete

Last edited by Peter R.; 09-01-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by GeneralToner
Shot of my GLS550 interior including knob for offroad package. Push the knob in order to raise/lower for adjustment. Turn the know to raise/lower the GLS.

Wouldn't let me post actual picture for some reason, link to my flickr page with it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/genera...posted-public/
Those brown leather looks really nice. Just curious, are those chrome cluster on the side of the seats part of the designo?