P31 and U29 : LongShot question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 03:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W126-500SEC
P31 and U29 : LongShot question.

Hey everyone,

I know it's a long shot since the dealer can't/won't answer it, so I'll try here.

I have a '17 GLS350d on the way (in Europe) with the P31 'AMG Exterior package.
According to the sales literature it has 'perforated sports brakes and painted calipers with Mercedes-Benz logo'.
On the order form some of the components (like wheel arches) are mentioned by option code, but the one I would expect is the SA Code U29, but it's not there. However, U29 could be something completely different.

Reason I'm asking : I need some dedicated winter wheels (we use salt to defrost our roads) and since I'm going to have to buy those anyway I'd prefer a size smaller (20") and would like to know if they fit. And I don't want to buy these from the dealers since the Benz wheels fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch.

Alternatively, I'll buy som OZ Dakars and Use the 'AMG' originals as winter wheels.
Caveat : the dealer also does not seem to know what tyre type will be fitted.

So if anyone has factual info on this I'd really like to know.

Pete
Old 09-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
The facts are in the VIN----post it-----if not go see the sales manager and tell him his DA sales person can't read the SA option codes for your car--second choice ask the donut girl she knows everything!!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:39 AM

W126-500SEC
Originally Posted by Plutoe
The facts are in the VIN----post it-----if not go see the sales manager and tell him his DA sales person can't read the SA option codes for your car--second choice ask the donut girl she knows everything!!
1. We don't have 'sales managers'
2. We don't have 'donut girls'
3. Come to think of it, we don't have decent donuts either.
4. We DO have excellent Danish. We also have some outstanding Danish girls, but unfortunately they have nothing to do with said Danish.
5. In my country, you are supposed to show eternal gratitude because MB deems you worthy to sell you a vehicle. You do not go around asking difficult questions or asking for managers.
6. You don't get a VIN untill you've paid for the VIN in its entirity. You do, however, get the Mercedes-Benz attached to it for free.

I could wait until the car arrives, but I have solid reasons for buying the winter wheels now.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Yea you guys are just like the Dutch, except they make more noise when they walk! If I were you I would immigrate to Latvia! You can ask all sorts of questions there and not be called an AH for doing so!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well...

Blutoe .. the OP has his point ... you were not being helpful..

The fact is wheel fitting is best done by matching offset and wheel width.. and WIS doesn't necessarily have that info.

Pull a wheel and look.. and with any aftermarket wheels - you do need to test fit to doublecheck fitment - really.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:33 AM

W126-500SEC
@Fabbrisd1 : thanks very much. If you ever decide to pack it in here we might as well close up shop

@Plutoe

Originally Posted by Plutoe
Yea you guys are just like the Dutch, except they make more noise when they walk! If I were you I would immigrate to Latvia! You can ask all sorts of questions there and not be called an AH for doing so!

Two things :

One : my mother in law's parents fled Riga around 1905. They were of Jewish heritage and got chased out by the Russian 'revolutionaries' . Her father had built quite a succesful business, which was taken from him when he was chased out of town.
He subsequently arrived in Antwerp where he rebuilt, becoming quite succesful again. Unfortunately the Germans arrived in '40, and according to lore they didn't like jews very much. So again they lost everything. Some in the family went underground, some went to the camps. So no, I think the suggestion of going back to Latvia may not fall on fertile soil.

Two : we are NOTHING like the Dutch. and don't ever insult me like that again. Or I just may make that trip to Latvia.

Pete

Last edited by Peter R.; 09-14-2017 at 03:38 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:20 PM

W126-500SEC
I think 20"s are going to work fine

Pete
Attached Thumbnails P31 and U29 : LongShot question.-21-weel.jpg  
Old 09-18-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
C43, GLS450
Originally Posted by Peter R.
I think 20"s are going to work fine

Pete
Those are 21s not 20s.

Unless you're asking if 20s would fit, in which case yes they would.

Last edited by jerhu; 09-18-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 AM

W126-500SEC
Originally Posted by jerhu
Those are 21s not 20s.

I am well aware, thank you. I took that photo myself Actually, I'm the one that signed the order for that car.

Originally Posted by jerhu
Unless you're asking if 20s would fit, in which case yes they would.

Which is why I started this thread. From the photo I think they would, although Benz says NO. I'll still have to find a way to do a test fitting to be sure, as I won't have unlimited access to the vehicle before January.