GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Trailer Hitch Install on GLS 450 without factory tow package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLS 450
Trailer Hitch Install on GLS 450 without factory tow package

Hi, new to the forum here, wondering if anybody has attempted installing trailer hitch on a GLS 450 that doesn’t have tow package out of the factory? Mine is a 2017 GLS 450, which I believe the model # is X166

I believe I covered most if not all existing posts on the forum related to this topic but still missing quite a few pieces for the whole picture.

My 1st preference is to install the OEM parts for the complete look and a few bells and whistles come with the control. I called 2 dealers in my area, both said nothing pulled up with my VIN as installable option (I assume through WIS or XENTRY). I found part # 166-310-11-37 from MB parts website, the website shows it fit, but the dealer say they don’t see this parts as fit for my VIN.

I also see a post referencing a trailer hitch “kit” for an older GL, and laid out the parts needed in very good detail, I assume the parts for my GLS is similar. But apparently mine is quite a few model year different

Also there is a thread with an instruction sheet AN31.10-P-8080GQY, attached, the disconnection here is those 2 longitude tow bars are not shown in the diagram at all on MB parts website for my model. There is discussion saying those tow bars only exist in later GL models, and in GLS model the trailer hitch has a different setup and no longer using those.

I know there are CURT options, but we need to pull an about 7,000 lbs trailer, I tried to verify if that CURT model setup can meet the capacity, no clear answer on that either, I’m concerned with this CURT option even though it is rated for 7,500 lbs and the GLS is rated also for 7,500 lbs, but it cannot safely pull that weight because of other missing components with the setup.

I’m aware of the possibly high price tag on the installation, that’s not something I worry about for now.

My questions are:
  • If these parts show fit on MB parts website, why would the dealer show different for Vin? Will they still be a fit anyways, it’s just that MB don’t want there dealers to install for maybe liability reasons?
  • Does anybody know a trailer hitch “kit” part # for 2017 GLS 450?
  • The attached instruction shows X166 as of model 2016, mine is a 2017, can anybody pull an instruction sheet from WIS for X166 model year 2017?
  • does anyone know if the tow bars are still needed for 2017 GLS trailer hitch?
  • I think for the complete package, a harness that runs from the trailer control unit that sits in the back of the car, to the front of the car, does anyone know what is the part # for that? Not the harness from hitch to the control unit.

Any sights are greatly appreciated, thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X166 Hitch.pdf (230.3 KB, 158 views)
Old 08-09-2021, 10:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,928 Likes on 3,094 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Dealers want nothing to do with hitches. They are clueless and want to avoid the risk associated with hitches. It’s a custom job. Dealers generally don’t do custom jobs.

The mechanical parts exist and are not terribly difficult to install. There is at least one module and maybe more that need to be added and coded. Do you have a solution to code the modules?

Download EPC from eBay and use a VIN from a vehicle with hitch listed on cargurus. Then you can find the parts in EPC and order them. Bumper cover needs to come off and you will be working with safety critical bolts for the receiver to the frame.

Last edited by chassis; 08-09-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:28 AM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by chassis
Dealers want nothing to do with hitches. They are clueless and want to avoid the risk associated with hitches. It’s a custom job. Dealers generally don’t do custom jobs.

The mechanical parts exist and are not terribly difficult to install. There is at least one misrule and maybe more that need to be added and coded. Do you have a solution to code the modules?

Download EPC from eBay and use a VIN from a vehicle with hitch listed on cargurus. Then you can find the parts in EPC and order them. Bumper cover needs to come off and you will be working with safety critical bolts for the receiver to the frame.
Thanks for the reply!

It does seem like the dealer just doesn't want to have anything to do with it. I didn't know that's something I can buy from eBay, good advice!

Do you know if I will still need the dealer to "activate the Tow Package" on the car's software after all the hardware is installed? It's for the car's backup camera and sensor to recognize when there's a trailer connected, it might also make some adjustments on when to shift, anti sway control, etc.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 12:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by smilelrnr
Thanks for the reply!

It does seem like the dealer just doesn't want to have anything to do with it. I didn't know that's something I can buy from eBay, good advice!

Do you know if I will still need the dealer to "activate the Tow Package" on the car's software after all the hardware is installed? It's for the car's backup camera and sensor to recognize when there's a trailer connected, it might also make some adjustments on when to shift, anti sway control, etc.

You need a coding solution. It’s called SCN coding and is done with a XENTRY system. Message @BenzNinja
BenzNinja (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 01:01 PM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by chassis
You need a coding solution. It’s called SCN coding and is done with a XENTRY system. Message @BenzNinja
Thanks! For the EPC you suggested, I did some search earlier this morning, looks like most of the sellers are Europe-based. Do you know if those will work for US models? Do you have a link?
Old 08-09-2021, 01:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Go with the most positive feedback seller. Price is (was) around $15-$20.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:19 PM
SPONSOR

Received 814 Likes on 631 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
piece of cake
i'm here
chassis (08-09-2021)
Old 06-27-2024, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes GLS 450
Hi @smilelrnr Did you go through with the aftermarket towing hitch for your 2017 GLS 450? If so, how did that all worked out for you? I also have a 2017 GLS 450 and my 6yo twins are about to upgrade their little bikes to larger size bikes so will start to be difficult to pack their new larger bikes along with camping gears inside the GLS so I am looking at installing a towing hitch, but this hitch will be used purely for the bike rack rather than for towing. I think that the aftermarket option (Curt) is a bit over kill since I will only need to use it for a bike rack and besides, it does not look so great.

I was super excited when my search came across the "Stealth Hitches" which would be exactly what I am looking for, BUT on their website it listed that this hitch is only compatible for year 2020-2024 both GLS and GLE. I am hoping that @BenzNinja or others here would know if there is much difference in the chassis of the 2017-2019 compared to the 2020-2024 GLS 450 that would make these rack not compatible. I am hesitant to call them and ask because I am quite sure that since their site indicated that it is for year 2020-2024 model GLS 450 then they won't even bother to give me their opinion if this would still fit my 2017.

Here's a link to this hitch:
https://stealthhitches.com/products/...hoCJ3gQAvD_BwE
Old 06-28-2024, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
550GLS
7000 lb Trailer (RV?)

Disclaimer we tow a 7600lb Airstream Classic with a Hensley PPP hitch, and a Reese class 5 Tow Beast reciever on our Suburban. (removed the OEM receiver when we got the AS)
Realizing the MB has air ride suspension, you will still benefit from a weight-distributing hitch. We have towed with our 550 but I much prefer using the Burb because of the greater stability the longer wheelbase, the no auto(air)ride provides along with the higher tow rating. More is better when towing.
I would do the google for hitch installation in your area and take your time in determining which you feel is most competent. DO NOT cut corners and do the research.
https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Last edited by BobSandra; 06-28-2024 at 09:23 AM.