GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Anyone order (receive?) a 2020 GLS with metal weave trim?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 02:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CAR
Anyone order (receive?) a 2020 GLS with metal weave trim?

I ordered my 2020 GLS450 on 12/21/19, with tartufo interior and metal weave trim. The order was submitted, but the system kicked it back because of the tarufo upholstery. My dealer has been calling/emailing trying to get some feedback from MB regarding production and timelines. Several mangers are even making inquiries. Today we were told by MB that it's not the tartufo that is the issue, it's actually the metal weave trim. The email said it's at "max". Dealer called me and said now they are trying to find out what that means....and that it seems the tartufo is not or no longer the issue, but the metal weave trim is. DOG offers no insight.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Anyone else order (or even receive) the metal weave trim on a 2020 GLS?

I'd hate to switch out the trim unless I had to, same with the upholstery. 2nd choices are lindenwood trim and espresso upholstery (Emerald Green Exterior).
Old 01-10-2020, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,183 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Metal weave trim

Originally Posted by CALLA
I ordered my 2020 GLS450 on 12/21/19, with tartufo interior and metal weave trim. The order was submitted, but the system kicked it back because of the tarufo upholstery. My dealer has been calling/emailing trying to get some feedback from MB regarding production and timelines. Several mangers are even making inquiries. Today we were told by MB that it's not the tartufo that is the issue, it's actually the metal weave trim. The email said it's at "max". Dealer called me and said now they are trying to find out what that means....and that it seems the tartufo is not or no longer the issue, but the metal weave trim is. DOG offers no insight.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Anyone else order (or even receive) the metal weave trim on a 2020 GLS?

I'd hate to switch out the trim unless I had to, same with the upholstery. 2nd choices are lindenwood trim and espresso upholstery (Emerald Green Exterior).
In the brand new GLE DOG H64 Metal Weave is listed as 3/20 availability; I would bet it's same for the GLS. Not sure if that means 3/20 ordering or production, but probably the former.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:07 AM

CAR
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
In the brand new GLE DOG H64 Metal Weave is listed as 3/20 availability; I would bet it's same for the GLS. Not sure if that means 3/20 ordering or production, but probably the former.
Yes, in the GLS DOG I have from December, 2019 it also states 3/2020 production for both tartufo upholstery and metal weave trim. But the email saying the metal weave trim is at "max" has the dealer puzzled. Do you have any idea what that means?
Old 01-14-2020, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
There were a "scattering" of Tartufo's made Oct/Nov - there a are a handful of Tartufo out there on the ground now in each Region - no Tartufo with Metal Weave Trim.

There are a handful of Metal Weave on the ground now - again no Tartufo.

There are a "decent #" of Tartufo's in production for March there are no Tartufo's on order with Metal Weave.

As of today - all GLS450 orders for March 1st decade production (thru March 10th) are locked down - March 2nd decade (thru March 11 thru March 21) orders are "green"/changeable - March 3rd decade have not yet been posted.

So that you know on GLS's - going from Green-To-Yellow(Last-Call)-To-Red(non-changebable) happens very quickly - like maybe 5 days including a weekend.

I don't know why your Dealer is confused - Max - means all available Metal Weave Trim for March production has already been "used up" by existing March orders.

If you want a March build - and your dealer has March 2nd decade allocation - order your #2 interior choice.

You will NOT get a end-March build for Tartufo/Metal-Weave - you "might" get a April build.

This isn't rocket science - and since this is 20 days in - your dealer should be clearer with you on what "can't" be done - unless they can switch out with another friendly dealer on trim.

If you choose Tartufo/Metal-Weave you are best going to be April production - if you want a March build go to interior #2 and that March clock is ticking.
The following users liked this post:
wolds (01-14-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 04:06 PM

CAR
I'm really set on the metal weave trim. I saw a car in the showroom with the tartufo upholstry and loved it. So now I feel like the metal weave trim is even more imperative as I dont know which other trim would complement the tartufo. The aluminum was easily scratched and I personally dont like the brown walnut. I'm not a fan of matte finish, like the grey oak and I feel the linden wood doesn't really match.

So without the metal weave, I feel like the tartufo is also an issue.

My 2nd choice combo was espresso upholstery with linden wood trim. But now that I've got a really good look at the tartufo, I absolutely prefer it over the espresso.

The whole point to custom ordering a car was for it to be, well, custom. Get what you want...I dont feel like I'm accomplishing this if I'm compromising and adding in upholstery and/or trim that are not my preferred choice(s).
The following users liked this post:
univ0298 (01-15-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 12:28 PM

CAR
Got a call from the dealer last night....my order was finally accepted by Netstar with the tartufo upholstery and metal weave trim.Woohoo!!

Dealer said it looks like a MAY production!!! Yikes! Delaer also ordered the same configuration except with the grey oak trim and got an earlier production date. I'm hoping the dealer may be able to swap the dates/trims and get my car with the metal weave trim earlier than May. Original order date was the middle of December, 2019 and was told that I would have the car in March, 2020.

Both cars were ordered priority 1.

Looking for thoughts....

Last edited by CALLA; 01-26-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:00 AM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2011 Audi A4, 2014 E63S Wagon, 2020 GLS 580
I canceled both of those options when my dealer said they would delay my order. I went with the Grey/Black Nappa and the Grey wood trim. Took delivery a week ago.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:00 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLS 450, 2024 GLS 580
Nice combo. What color is the exterior?
Old 02-11-2020, 08:15 AM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2011 Audi A4, 2014 E63S Wagon, 2020 GLS 580
Originally Posted by Daromo
Nice combo. What color is the exterior?
Mojave Silver with the Night Package. I really like the combo. Obviously ordering it sight unseen felt a little risky but I'm glad how everything turned out. Pics in the 580 thread here Anyone getting delivery of 580