Third Row Seat Stuck Upright and rattling/shaking seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS 580
Third Row Seat Stuck Upright and rattling/shaking seat

Hi All

Just picked up a used 2021 GLS 580 on Tuesday..has 9000K miles. Traded in 2017 GLS 580. Having some issues after two days and already worried this was a bad idea.

First Issue:
When I went to fold down the third row seats the driver's side third row seat will not go down. You can hear the motor trying but no movement of the seat. With my previous GLS there was a manual release strap for the third row seats when they were broken. I do not see one on the new model...any advice? I have appointment at dealer but not till the 21st.

Second Issue:
The passenger side captains chair shakes pretty violently when on the highway. Anyone else? Easy fix?

I also have read on the posts of the wireless charging issues with the iphone 12 pro max..I am having the same issues. So I will also address with the dealer when I see them.

Thanks for any insight. Just disappointed...never had a single issue with the old model...now two days in and problems. Hoping all easy fixes when I bring in for service in a couple weeks.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43
Sorry to hear about your issues.

I have a new GLS450 with 300 miles and I also have the rattling issue with the passenger side captain chair. It does not rattle when someone is sitting on it.

I do not have any issues with the wireless charging (same phone as you). Make sure you are placing it with the top of the phone facing the driver side.

I do have an issue with Apple Car Play: it is basically unresponsive when using the track pad. No issues when using the touch screen.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2004 sl600
I have the 3rd row issue as well. It is in at the dealer now. They found a part not lubricated well. I m not confident that is the issue but we will see when I get the car back.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:16 AM

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
My dealer spent about 30 minutes futzing with the left third row seat until it went down. Push the button, hear it unlatch, and nothing.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLS 450 2021
I have a 21 450 July production and I’ve had the third row seat stuck in the upright twice. I would sit there up to 5 mins in pushing the button on and off until somehow it finally went down.
I haven’t told the dealer yet because they won’t be able to reproduce it!

I also have the wireless charger issue with iPhone 12 Pro. It starts charging for 10 secs and goes off. I told my dealer and they said it works fine and is in spec. At this point I decided to live with it because I don’t really see myself using it. The space is just to small to deal with fitting it on the pad.

anyone have ac issues in that it always seems to be blowing full speed and trying to lower the fan speed doesn’t do much?
Old 09-10-2021, 11:09 AM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
Originally Posted by Mercedesfla007
I have a 21 450 July production and I’ve had the third row seat stuck in the upright twice. I would sit there up to 5 mins in pushing the button on and off until somehow it finally went down.

I also have the wireless charger issue with iPhone 12 Pro. It starts charging for 10 secs and goes off. I told my dealer and they said it works fine and is in spec. At this point I decided to live with it because I don’t really see myself using it. The space is just to small to deal with fitting it on the pad.
Re wireless charging you might try this...... I also follow the Acura MDX forum and there are issues with wireless charging on the new 2022 MDX as well. A solution that has worked for some there is to go to your iPhone's settings, then battery, then battery health, and turn off optimized battery charging. It may not work but is worth a try.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:44 PM

2004 sl600
Originally Posted by Mercedesfla007

anyone have ac issues in that it always seems to be blowing full speed and trying to lower the fan speed doesn’t do much?
regarding the fan speed, I thought something was wrong but turns out a bunch of the zones were turned off. Check to see if you rear seat or passenger zones are turned off.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG galore
I have had many issues with the 3rd on my 2021 GLS63. Service advisor showed me how to push on the seat when using the switch to get it to go down. Had 2 X166 AMGs, no issues. The X167 is crap.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:46 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
A lot of these issues could be solved with familiarity of the vehicle:

1) The rattling on the captain's chair on the passenger side means it is not "latched" on properly. Note that the right captain's chair can be folded forward, unlike the left captain's chair. On the right shoulder section of that chair is the control to move it forward or back, which is used whenever someone needs to access the third row. Make sure you continue to press that lever button until the chair is locked in place. Sometimes, people dont press it long enough until the seat is locked.

2) The aircon fan changes depending on certain settings on the controls and the zones. Read the manual and you will see that the fan speed changes depending on your settings.

3) The third row seat takes a while before it moves. Make sure the engine is running when you do this that way it does not require too much battery power.

Last edited by Paxfobiscum; 09-18-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:07 AM

Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Originally Posted by pocari
I have had many issues with the 3rd on my 2021 GLS63. Service advisor showed me how to push on the seat when using the switch to get it to go down. Had 2 X166 AMGs, no issues. The X167 is crap.
You think the X167 is crap because of a seat?

Old 09-18-2021, 11:28 AM

2004 sl600
Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum
3) The third row seat takes a while before it moves. Make sure the engine is running when you do this that way it does not require too much battery power.

This is what the dealership told me too. Then I had to school them and show that it was not the case. The seat actually had some play in it such that once someone sat in the seat, the seat shifted. With the seat out of alignment, the motor cannot push the seat forward. The car is still at the dealership getting worked on so we will see.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by dyc1077
This is what the dealership told me too. Then I had to school them and show that it was not the case. The seat actually had some play in it such that once someone sat in the seat, the seat shifted. With the seat out of alignment, the motor cannot push the seat forward. The car is still at the dealership getting worked on so we will see.
OK, well good luck and let us know how it was fixed.

Old 09-18-2021, 03:24 PM

AMG galore
A lot of these issues could be solved with familiarity of the vehicle:

Enlighten us with your familiarity please! 😂

Should I hold the switch for 30 seconds, 45 seconds or a minute before the 3rd row seat will start to move? I think I’ve only gone to about 30 seconds.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:25 PM

AMG galore
You think the X167 is crap because of a seat?

That’s only one reason.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:36 PM

2004 sl600
Got my car back. Now the 3rd row seat works every time. The repair order says they had to replace the seat base. Required removing the seat and a bunch of associated parts. Took almost two weeks for the new seat base to arrive.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 GLS450
pump this up to see if anyone know the way to manually fold 3rd row seat

I have 2021 gls450, driver side of my 3rd row stuck in up position, anyway to manually fold it? I am going to see dealer soon, but just to see if anyone know how to fold manually .