GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Rattle/click in 2022 GLS450 dash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLS450
Rattle/click in 2022 GLS450 dash

Fellow Benz'ers....just purchased a 2022 GLS450 (2 weeks ago) and it's had a very odd rattle coming from what appears to be from behind the dash. I've had the dealer look at it once - they thought it was coming from one of the middle row seats (and the sound bouncing off the dash?), which I don't really agree with...but either way they didn't start removing parts since they didn't have a loaner for me. I'll take it back eventually but thought I'd see if anyone here has encountered a similar issue.

I've attached a couple video clips that have the sounds. It's less of a rattle and more of a click sound, as if scrolling through a menu on a phone or something. It's largely random in both instance and severity (number of clicks), although rough road parts seem to instigate it. Very hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from but I've sat in seats in every row and it's am pretty sure it's not from anything but the dash. I've tried fiddling with the air vents, pushing on various parts of the dash while driving, moving the steering wheel....a wide variety of "maybe this will work" things and nothing works.

In the longer video the sound is at seconds 2, 4, and 11. Listening to the video it sounds more like a flap vibrating vs a click or rattle than it does live....like a piece of plastic that's too long and bumps cause it to agitate against something.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5861.MOV (3.81 MB, 316 views)
Video Apr 22, 8 55 05 AM.mov (12.53 MB, 570 views)
The following users liked this post:
nal1004 (08-19-2023)
Old 08-02-2022, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS450
Same problem. Sounds like plastic expanding and Contracting from heating and cooling.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:10 PM

GLS450
Did you try removing the dash cover and see if it goes away...? pretty simple to remove it (just pry it out).
Old 03-27-2023, 11:53 AM
ntc

X167 / X247
Did you ever make any progress with this? I have the same issue - it is hard to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from, but it is almost certainly electronic (a series of clicks). A couple times, I felt like it happened in concert with map zooms/focus events, but it doesn't always. It is pretty annoying and I don't have much faith in working through it with the dealer. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Originally Posted by bluland23
Fellow Benz'ers....just purchased a 2022 GLS450 (2 weeks ago) and it's had a very odd rattle coming from what appears to be from behind the dash. I've had the dealer look at it once - they thought it was coming from one of the middle row seats (and the sound bouncing off the dash?), which I don't really agree with...but either way they didn't start removing parts since they didn't have a loaner for me. I'll take it back eventually but thought I'd see if anyone here has encountered a similar issue.

I've attached a couple video clips that have the sounds. It's less of a rattle and more of a click sound, as if scrolling through a menu on a phone or something. It's largely random in both instance and severity (number of clicks), although rough road parts seem to instigate it. Very hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from but I've sat in seats in every row and it's am pretty sure it's not from anything but the dash. I've tried fiddling with the air vents, pushing on various parts of the dash while driving, moving the steering wheel....a wide variety of "maybe this will work" things and nothing works.

In the longer video the sound is at seconds 2, 4, and 11. Listening to the video it sounds more like a flap vibrating vs a click or rattle than it does live....like a piece of plastic that's too long and bumps cause it to agitate against something.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:05 AM

2022 GLS 450
D@mn that's annoying. I've got a bunch of random noises in my 2022 GLS 450 as well but not those. I get a random knock in the steering column, even when just going straight; got some random knock in the console between the two front seats that sounds like a cord moving around even when going straight; and I've got pops (think wood floors popping) that I believe to be another pinch-weld problem. So stinks that you've got that annoying sound, and makes me feel less alone with my issues!
Old 04-11-2023, 12:34 PM
ntc

X167 / X247
It is super annoying. Unfortunately, I also have many of the similar sounds you here too, along with rear suspension popping every 30 seconds when running in park. Probably the ricketiest vehicle I've owned, at least since I picked up a LeBaron for $2500 back in undergrad.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:50 AM
ntc

X167 / X247
An update, just for follow-up

Latest annoyances: 1) In-dash click/rattle, 2) a fairly loud occasional pop from passenger side (sounded like body panel shift), and 3) pop coming from rear air suspension every 30 seconds or so, when parked/running.

I finally decided it needed to spend some time at the dealer, before an upcoming 17hr each way trip. To my surprise, other than my car being there for WAY TOO LONG, they have done the following:
1) replicated and acknowledged these noises. A request has been sent up the chain for guidance on resolving.
2) received guidance on repair, which includes removing the headliner and putting something between the popping panels.
3) they determined that air suspension had no codes and is working as designed. I re-described the problem and asked them to re-assess while they are waiting on the other issues.

Frankly, if they fix the two and the air suspension issue doesn't get worse, I may learn to love this car. The last trip, with the constant annoyances, was not good for our relationship.

Will update as the saga unfolds...

Trending Topics

Old 07-05-2023, 07:23 AM

2022 GLS 450
I wish you luck on this. I recently picked up my GLS 450 after its second visit to the shop for pops and rattles; Hendrick has had it for a total of 5 1/2 weeks on those two visits. "I drove it home myself last night and I think we got them all" says the service manager on the voicemail. I hear the same ones within five minutes of driving away. On both visits, they pulled the headliner and put foam in to try to silence the pinch welds (apparently there was a service bulletin issued on this though I can't find it online). I hear weird noises in the dash, in the console between the front two seats, and have this weird air conditioner problem that they act as though they've never heard of.

At this point, my intent is to drive it for another year and then get rid of it and buy something cheaper and most likely American. Mercedes has completely shattered that whole "German engineering" myth for me.

Oh, and four days after picking is up after it's 2 1/2 week visit, the check engine light is on. Wonderful.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:30 AM
ntc

X167 / X247
That sucks! I'm pretty discouraged by this too, but suspect we may be more a victim of COVID manufacturing time frame than of overall Mercedes quality. Like you, though, MB probably won't get much consideration in future purchases.

Regarding the headliner issue, they applied the same "fix" to mine. It did not fix the issue, but may have improved it slightly. Here are, I believe, the related items:
Correction(s): 651170 REPAIR ROOF FRAME No Charge Tech Number: 706 Labor Type: WM 681611 ROOF TRIM REMOVE/INSTALL VEHICLES WITH PANORAMIC SUNROOF

Regarding the major clicking issues, it seems that this has been resolved, possibly accidentally, while "repairing" the above. At first, when they too heard the sounds, it was reported that they were awaiting guidance from corporate on how to resolve. We'll see how it does over a long trip, starting tonight. Here are their notes on the matter:
CND SEE LINE A-REPAIRED FIRST NOISE CONCERN THAT'S BEING HEARD AND THEN RETESTNO CURRENT NOISES AT THIS TIME. $0.00 Tech Number: 706 Labor Type: CPM

Regarding the rear air suspension popping occasionally while running+parked (every 30 seconds or so), they said this is normal operations:
MA00 FOUND THAT SUSPENSION IS OPERATING PROPERLY AT THIS TIME. NOISES ARE PRESENT BUT ARE NORMAL OPERATIONAL NOISES. $0.00 Tech Number: 706 Labor Type: CPM

I wish you luck and definitely understand your frustration with this vehicle. My two prior SUVs were Q7s and were so absolutely quiet and trouble free. On the other hand, my wife's GLB (not make during pandemic) is pretty solid for what it is.

Originally Posted by mbmbnc
I wish you luck on this. I recently picked up my GLS 450 after its second visit to the shop for pops and rattles; Hendrick has had it for a total of 5 1/2 weeks on those two visits. "I drove it home myself last night and I think we got them all" says the service manager on the voicemail. I hear the same ones within five minutes of driving away. On both visits, they pulled the headliner and put foam in to try to silence the pinch welds (apparently there was a service bulletin issued on this though I can't find it online). I hear weird noises in the dash, in the console between the front two seats, and have this weird air conditioner problem that they act as though they've never heard of.

At this point, my intent is to drive it for another year and then get rid of it and buy something cheaper and most likely American. Mercedes has completely shattered that whole "German engineering" myth for me.

Oh, and four days after picking is up after it's 2 1/2 week visit, the check engine light is on. Wonderful.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:37 AM

2022 GLS 450
I googled for the headliner issue but can’t find it. Do you have a web link to that?
Old 07-05-2023, 10:49 AM
ntc

X167 / X247
My only source is from the dealer - they mentioned it when I checked on the status. Here is the full summary, with cause listed:

Forgot to mention another frustration - not sure if my fault or theirs: So, they ended up with my car for around 10 days. I'm pretty picky about who touches my paint and am trying to keep the ceramic coating in good order, so I asked them not to perform a cleaning. However, the car was heavily covered in bird droppings, which had baked over those 10 days. Not a good look...
Old 07-05-2023, 11:02 AM

2022 GLS 450
Ahhh...I see. It's from the service write up. I was hoping someone had found the service bulletin my shop eluded to.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 596 Likes on 442 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by mbmbnc
I googled for the headliner issue but can’t find it. Do you have a web link to that?
It's not easy to find but look for Manufacturer communications on the NHTSA after inputting your VIN.
Old 07-05-2023, 03:50 PM

2022 GLS 450
This looks like it describes the popping in the body. Found at NHTSA after prior posted mentioned it. But the sounds in the embedded file is NOT what I hear. My noises are more like the popping one hears with wood floors.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10205835-9999.pdf (39.0 KB, 81 views)
Old 07-05-2023, 04:05 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
'23 GLS450
I've seen it mentioned many times but what is Xentry?
Old 07-05-2023, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 596 Likes on 442 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by EWL5
It's a diagnostics tool.

https://eurocartool.com/mercedes-xen...de-how-to-use/
EWL5 (07-05-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 12:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,356 Likes on 2,010 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Star/DAS/Xentry is MB's proprietary diagnostic software tool that is responsible for reading MB specific codes, perform programming control modules, installing software updates to control modules, etc.
EWL5 (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 03:27 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by wildta
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Star/DAS/Xentry is MB's proprietary diagnostic software tool that is responsible for reading MB specific codes, perform programming control modules, installing software updates to control modules, etc.
Xentry is diagnostic only and no programming like Bimmercode, right?
Old 07-08-2023, 06:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,356 Likes on 2,010 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Xentry is diagnostic only and no programming like Bimmercode, right?
What I meant programming is really just adapting modules, turning on/off features such as enabling ILS' full function in North America, I know nothing about Bimmercode and BMW though so I can't comment on that.

Otherwise, Xentry is really just used for software updates and diagnosing issues.
EWL5 (07-08-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 06:14 PM

MB GLS450
I have the same issue with my 2020GLS450. Dealer had it for 3+ weeks, replaced the dash blutetooth speaker, and the problem is worse.

Did you ever find out what the problem was?

Originally Posted by bluland23

Old 06-12-2024, 03:43 PM

2022 GLS 450
Rattle in 2022 GLS 450 dash

We bought the car 9/22 and I have been dealing with this noise since 2/23 and now 6/24 they think they’ve found it, finger's crossed! I know my poor husband is tired of hearing my complain LOL

Here is the work that they did, I hope this helps anyone who has been as frustrated as I have been.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:49 PM

MB GLS450
I think that’s exactly what I was experiencing as well. I found that when the car was “listening” for my voice, i.e. when I said “hey Mercedes” or turned on a phone call via Bluetooth, the rattling noise would disappear.

I took it back to the dealer with my findings above. They said they still didn’t know what was happening but did a “software update” and now it’s not making that noise anymore.

Originally Posted by kkrb2000
We bought the car 9/22 and I have been dealing with this noise since 2/23 and now 6/24 they think they’ve found it, finger's crossed! I know my poor husband is tired of hearing my complain LOL

Here is the work that they did, I hope this helps anyone who has been as frustrated as I have been.
Old 06-12-2024, 05:38 PM

Received 98 Likes on 69 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
I find this thread interesting, while I haven't heard any issues the kids did reach up and scratch one of the rear seat microphones one day and it was really loud. I can see where small sounds might be picked up by the microphones and amplified. Especially with a carwash. I'll have to remember to turn off the amplification if I start hearing weird noises through the speakers.
Old 06-13-2024, 12:48 PM

gls 580 e250 gl 350
Originally Posted by nal1004
I think that’s exactly what I was experiencing as well. I found that when the car was “listening” for my voice, i.e. when I said “hey Mercedes” or turned on a phone call via Bluetooth, the rattling noise would disappear.

I took it back to the dealer with my findings above. They said they still didn’t know what was happening but did a “software update” and now it’s not making that noise anymore.
This may be the life saver. I have the clicking noise and it is electronic in nature just as OP had in the video clip. I have an appointment monday and will give this to service advisor to help diagnose..

Old 06-13-2024, 02:32 PM

2022 GLS 450
GLS 2022 Rattle/Tick Noise

I've attached the noise below. Please refer to my June 12, 2024 post above. I can't seem to edit my previous post and add the my noise file, and my teenager is out of town to help LOL
Attached Files
IMG_1952.MOV (13.71 MB, 18 views)

Last edited by kkrb2000; 06-13-2024 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added photo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rattle/click in 2022 GLS450 dash