GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Plug & play camera rear view mirror like Cadillac has but for Benz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X167
Plug & play camera rear view mirror like Cadillac has but for Benz

Who would be down if I make a set up that’s plug and play. I miss my full time camera rear view mirror from my Cadillac it was wildly useful. Benz doesn’t offer one and due to the sensors in the mirror renowned shops around atl say they need to custom fab something (aka 3d print it) unfortunately for them my friends are mechatronics engineers so we’re going 3d print it ourselves. The goal is an OEM mirror housing that holds all the sensors, buttons, lights, etc, and that will accept the screen from a top of the line off the shelf rear view camera set up. They will be designed to be wrapped in leather by an upholstery shop or we can wrap it in house for you. Price TBD but likely 700-800ish

end game is it looks OEM and adds something Mercedes should have had out the box.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLS580
I've never seen the Cadillac rear view mirror in person, but I'd be interested if it doubles as a rear-facing dashcam and integrates an OEM looking forward-facing dashcam as well. Something similar to Fitcamx. I don't need an app, cloud hosting, or any other bloated features for the dashcams. Just a simple and accessible microSD card to pull captured footage. On second thought, instead of microSD the way to go might be to use a USB-C thumb drive that captures footage in format supported by MBUX. That way you could also review footage on the spot if needed.

Last edited by neetorama; 09-19-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X167
Originally Posted by neetorama
I've never seen the Cadillac rear view mirror in person, but I'd be interested if it doubles as a rear-facing dashcam and integrates an OEM looking forward-facing dashcam as well. Something similar to Fitcamx. I don't need an app, cloud hosting, or any other bloated features for the dashcams. Just a simple and accessible microSD card to pull captured footage. On second thought, instead of microSD the way to go might be to use a USB-C thumb drive that captures footage in format supported by MBUX. That way you could also review footage on the spot if needed.

it gives you a 180 degree out of the rear basically eliminating blind spots from while on the highway. The GLS already has a forward facing dash cam built in, but I’ll look into including an SD slot so that that the one I make is a rear facing one.

def go hit a Cadillac dealer ship and check out the review mirror it’s in all thier cars I think. It’s incredibly useful am really shocked Mercedes has autopilot but non video view mirror it’s a game changer.
Old 09-19-2022, 02:01 PM

GLS580
The GLS dashcam is only available on vehicles equipped with the Driver Assistance Package. But the bigger issue is the built in dashcam requires drivers to manually engage recording every time the car is started. It's another step and, to be honest, I hardly ever use it because it doesn't even cross my mind as I'm rushing out the door. Most people want an always on dashcam that starts recording the second car starts up. That's why there are a bunch of threads on the forums asking for GLS dashcam recs.
Old 09-19-2022, 02:51 PM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Hey, BENZWORKTRUCK!!

I realize that I am in the wrong thread, but I was interested in reading about what you were attempting to do. A buddy of mine has the '22 Escalade with the rear view in the mirror. It is pretty cool.

Good luck in your endeavors!

NEETORAMA - I have a '22 GLE 450 (which is why I am in the wrong thread). I was very disappointed that the dash cam had to be manually turned on each time I started the vehicle, and was "unavailable" more often than not. However, about two months ago, it started coming on automatically, whenever I started up. I had not recently been to dealership for service nor have I had any OTA updates (as far a I can tell). It even, now, appears as an option on Mercedes Me to start automatically. Perhaps there is hope for yours as well. Although, I do find myself constantly checking for the red light, recording, indicator.

Last edited by TonyF61; 09-19-2022 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 03:15 PM

GLS580
However, about two months ago, it started coming on automatically, whenever I started up. I had not recently been to dealership for service nor have I had any OTA updates (as far a I can tell). It even, now, appears as an option on Mercedes Me to start automatically.
No kidding? My GLS580 was just in the shop for service that included a software update. I wonder if it's enabled now...

Can you point me to where in the Mercedes Me app you see the dashcam option?

Old 09-20-2022, 06:56 AM

2022 GLE 450
No kidding? My GLS580 was just in the shop for service that included a software update. I wonder if it's enabled now...

Can you point me to where in the Mercedes Me app you see the dashcam option?

Last edited by TonyF61; 09-20-2022 at 08:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
z28lt1 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 09:28 AM

2022 GLE 450
It can sometimes take a minute or so before it actually turns on.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:37 AM

GLS580
So I took a look over the weekend, and my car doesn't have the "Automatic Loop Recording" option under settings. Out of curiosity, are in the US or a different market? Wondering if maybe the update hasn't been pushed to the states...
Old 09-26-2022, 11:46 PM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
2021 GLS450
So I took a look over the weekend, and my car doesn't have the "Automatic Loop Recording" option under settings. Out of curiosity, are in the US or a different market? Wondering if maybe the update hasn't been pushed to the states...
i don't have it either in my 2021 GLS450, and i brought my car in for service just last weekend. the app also indicates that there are no OTA updates available. fwiw, i'm in CA.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:26 AM

2022 GLE 450
I am in New Jersey. Don't understand it either. The only OTA updates shown on the app are for maps. Didn't turn up after a service visit. It just turned on one day when I started my car. I'm not complaining. Manually turning it on is ridiculous.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:22 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
I have, or maybe had, the loop recording, but it never worked. When my USB drive was full, the cam stopped recording. I'll check this morning if the loop recording option is still there.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:50 AM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
2021 GLS450
Originally Posted by jtjbt20x
I have, or maybe had, the loop recording, but it never worked. When my USB drive was full, the cam stopped recording. I'll check this morning if the loop recording option is still there.
yeah, i thought loop recording would delete the oldest file to make space for storing a new recording when the stick is full. but nope...instead, when i realize the camera is no longer recording, i need to take the stick out and delete all the files on my computer at home.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:10 AM

2022 GLE 450
I would have been too convenient to delete the oldest recording to make room for the next one, which is standard with loop recordings. You can delete them directly from MBUX without having to remove USB stick and connecting to a PC.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:32 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by jomama
yeah, i thought loop recording would delete the oldest file to make space for storing a new recording when the stick is full. but nope...instead, when i realize the camera is no longer recording, i need to take the stick out and delete all the files on my computer at home.
I still have the loop option...you should be able to delete the files on MBUX. Go into the cam page, click on the gear icon at the bottom, and the feature is in there.