What is going on with MB??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,812 Likes on 2,548 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by SW20S
San Francisco is one of the most expensive housing markets in the country. Trust me lol. I'm talking about major market areas, not specifically counties or zip codes. My market is also in the top 5.
Oh, I know it is, but it's "only" number 9, just ahead of New York. San Mateo, Santa Clara and Marin are more expensive than San Francisco. Don't lump them in with San Francisco, they won't respond kindly .

https://www.noradarealestate.com/blo...ets-in-the-us/

Last edited by superswiss; 10-15-2023 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-15-2023, 07:45 PM

Received 186 Likes on 149 Posts
'23 GLS450
The TX though is not a GLS. It’s transverse/FWD with cheap macpherson strut suspension.
I forgot to address this point directly.

Which would you rather have?
1) A GLS that is technically great but spends weeks in a year in a shop?
2) A boring but potentially reliable TX that is happy as long as it gets its oil changes.

The GLS being in the shop wouldn't hurt so much if a GLS loaner was part of the picture. Nearly every Benz owner can tell you that a loaner GLS is as rare as a spotless giraffe!
Old 10-15-2023, 07:46 PM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by superswiss
Oh, I know it is, but it's "only" number 9. San Mateo, Santa Clara and Marin are more expensive than San Francisco. Don't lump them in with San Francisco, they won't respond kindly .

There's a really good steakhouse not far from the San Quentin prison. Forgot the name...
Old 10-15-2023, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,640 Likes on 1,695 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by superswiss
Oh, I know it is, but it's "only" number 9, just ahead of New York. San Mateo, Santa Clara and Marin are more expensive than San Francisco. Don't lump them in with San Francisco, they won't respond kindly .

Depends on what list you look at, on this one its #3:

https://www.kiplinger.com/real-estat...ge-home-prices

We are in all of these major markets, and San Francisco is consistently in the top 3.

Originally Posted by EWL5
I forgot to address this point directly.

Which would you rather have?
1) A GLS that is technically great but spends weeks in a year in a shop?
2) A boring but potentially reliable TX that is happy as long as it gets its oil changes.

The GLS being in the shop wouldn't hurt so much if a GLS loaner was part of the picture. Nearly every Benz owner can tell you that a loaner GLS is as rare as a spotless giraffe!
Honestly? I would rather have the GLS even if it has to spend time in the shop. I just have zero interest in a transverse Toyota derived vehicle anymore, there are so, so many vehicles I would get before I would get a TX. I'd rather have a Tahoe, Escalade, the list is very long.

For instance after having all these issues with Chryslers, why have I had three Pacifica minivans? Because the Sienna is just total garbagem terrible plasticky interior etc.
The following users liked this post:
MDMercedesGuy (10-16-2023)
Old 10-15-2023, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I’d get the Grand Highlander over the TX. From all the videos I’ve seen seems like other than the V6 PHEV 550+ model, the TX doesn’t offer much more for the significant increase in price over the GH which is already a good performer for its class.
Old 10-15-2023, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by js_cls
I’d get the Grand Highlander over the TX. From all the videos I’ve seen seems like other than the V6 PHEV 550+ model, the TX doesn’t offer much more for the significant increase in price over the GH which is already a good performer for its class.
Only reason I would get the TX is the better interior. The Grand Highlander is better looking IMO, but the interior is Toyota plastic fantastic.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
“lack of physical buttons” is a design decision. That doesn’t bother me. I had two Lexus LS460s and those are notorious for bad brake actuators, and my 2017 had it replaced at 5,000 miles, 2015 had it done about 25,000 miles. That’s not a big deal at all compared to what we are talking about here.

The Japanese simply don’t make anything of this caliber. If you just bought a GLS for the MB badge that’s an option but if you care about what makes this car what it is over something like a TX or an MDX then that’s not an option.

No complex, sophisticated car is going to be as reliable as a basic FWD Toyota, including those made by Toyota.
This. Someone mentioned buying an MB as an ego stroke earlier. If that's your bag, get yourself a lighted star and a lease payment and roll through them.

MB is hands down the most forward thinking auto manufacturer out there (don't give me any line about Tesla and their half baked betas rolling down the road endangering us all) - and with that is going to come some teething pains. If you understand this, understand that they literally invented the car, were the first to implement many of the technologies which trickle down and spread across the automotive spectrum, and that is what is still going on today it makes a bit more sense. Buy it for the technology and heritage, not to be able to tell Tom next door that you're rolling an S580 and try to pull tail at a bar by flashing your key.

The Japanese cars are all derivative and cheap appliances that cut corners in their own special ways. Anything can be made to be bulletproof if you're trying to ride the coattails of others and not blaze a trail.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
If you're telling me to stick with Mercedes, then tell me why this thread is so popular?
Because it is always easier to come up with complaints than accolades. People also don't start threads about how well their car is doing typically.

Last edited by MDMercedesGuy; 10-16-2023 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:32 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
Because it is always easier to come up with complaints than accolades. People also don't start threads about how good their car is doing typically.
I realize our signatures may not tell the whole story (including my own) but I feel the owners who are complaining the most have been with the brand 10 years or more (I had a 2012 C-Class).
How many "non-complainers" can say this or are most of you fairly new to the brand and don't have a reference point?
Old 10-16-2023, 08:35 AM

'23 GLS450
This. Someone mentioned buying an MB as an ego stroke earlier. If that's your bag, get yourself a lighted star and a lease payment and roll through them.

MB is hands down the most forward thinking auto manufacturer out there (don't give me any line about Tesla and their half baked betas rolling down the road endangering us all) - and with that is going to come some teething pains. If you understand this, understand that they literally invented the car, were the first to implement many of the technologies which trickle down and spread across the automotive spectrum, and that is what is still going on today it makes a bit more sense. Buy it for the technology and heritage, not to be able to tell Tom next door that you're rolling an S580 and try to pull tail at a bar by flashing your key.

The Japanese cars are all derivative and cheap appliances that cut corners in their own special ways. Anything can be made to be bulletproof if you're trying to ride the coattails of others and not blaze a trail.
Inventing the car doesn't give them a pass for making cars you can't drive (see the triage ward that is the GLC section of this forum and current GLC loaner experience).
Old 10-16-2023, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic

Lexus WAS making some cars that truly were of the same caliber, or at least close enough to make a tradeoff for reliability and cost. If you got underneath one of my LS460s, they looked very similar to the S Class with the same sort of multi-link suspension, air suspension, powertrains, the LS400 and LS430 weren't quite as sophisticated with double wishbone front suspension (which the 7 series also still uses), but also very similar.

I think the issue is people do in fact buy them for the badge and not really the engineering behind them, which is why they would be happy with something that doesn't have that engineering superiority as a replacement. I'd be lying to you if I said there wasn't SOME badge desire involved in what I drive, but the switch to me from Lexus to Mercedes was entirely driven by the fact that they took the V8 out of the LS and changed its demeanor from a big soft luxury cruiser to a tight, swoopy sport sedan. If they had made the LS500 the same sort of car as the LS has always been with a nice smooth V8 I would have one and would not have an S560. Was perfectly happy with my 4 LS sedans.

If you're just looking for a big, comfortable 3 row SUV and don't care about the engineering that goes into the vehicle then buying a GLS or X7 is way overkill. Thats why I wound up just getting my wife another Pacifica instead of a GLS, thats what she was comfortable with and happy with and spending all that additional money on the GLS would have been overkill even if I would have really enjoyed having it. She doesn't care about the engineering and the construction and the design, to her a GLS and a Grand Highlander are the same thing...so why buy the GLS? I get it, so I would never buy a Grand Highlander.

Watch savagegeese reviews on YouTube, he actually puts cars up on a lift and stands under them and discusses their engineering. Look at a video for a Highlander or a Telluride or Palisade or Atlas and then look at the GLS and X7 (he has an X7). There is no comparison between the two types of vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20S:
EWL5 (10-16-2023), MDMercedesGuy (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
I realize our signatures may not tell the whole story (including my own) but I feel the owners who are complaining the most have been with the brand 10 years or more (I had a 2012 C-Class).
How many "non-complainers" can say this or are most of you fairly new to the brand and don't have a reference point?
There is no question that there are legitimate reliability concerns with these vehicles stemming from the 48v system, that still doesn't negate the design superiority...that is of enough value to me that I would roll the dice on it. I know a bunch of people in the real world that have the GLS and GLE and none of them have ever had any problems, forums magnify the widespread nature of problems.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 648 Likes on 403 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
Nothing quite like getting stranded with 1,200 miles, when you’re there in the first place because the seat covers are splitting open…that’s not teething pains. That’s just bad quality that I am truly disappointed in MB for not fixing, since it’s been a known issue with MBTex for how many years now, across how many different models?

i’ve started many a thread over the years on the 212 section about how I love my 212 and don’t ever want to part with it, warts and all. In fact, with a rising 16 year old in my house soon, I’ve decided to pass down my 212 to him, and buy a new car for myself. It’s long since paid for, cheap to insure, dependable as anything else out there, safe as a tank, and “cool” enough for a teenager. I very well might buy another MB (which would be 3 in my garage), but it won’t be one of these new ones they’re pumping out now. That’s my point of this thread. I don’t like what they’re doing now. I am likely in the minority here, but I bet not the silent minority. I might finally scratch that itch and go with the fat cat S class. Or, I might go in a completely different direction and buy a Bronco for a few years. I drove a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe yesterday. That will be a pass. Looked at a Bronco Outer Banks, and have to admit, looked like fun with the soft top!
Old 10-16-2023, 08:40 AM

'23 GLS450
Watch savagegeese reviews on YouTube, he actually puts cars up on a lift and stands under them and discusses their engineering. Look at a video for a Highlander or a Telluride or Palisade or Atlas and then look at the GLS and X7 (he has an X7). There is no comparison between the two types of vehicle.
I enjoy the SG videos very much as well as Throttle House! Did you catch the crossover where the SG guys made a cameo in the TH intro (I think it was for the redesigned '23 Accord)?
Old 10-16-2023, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by nc211
Nothing quite like getting stranded with 1,200 miles, when you’re there in the first place because the seat covers are splitting open…that’s not teething pains. That’s just bad quality that I am truly disappointed in MB for not fixing, since it’s been a known issue with MBTex for how many years now, across how many different models?

i’ve started many a thread over the years on the 212 section about how I love my 212 and don’t ever want to part with it, warts and all. In fact, with a rising 16 year old in my house soon, I’ve decided to pass down my 212 to him, and buy a new car for myself. It’s long since paid for, cheap to insure, dependable as anything else out there, safe as a tank, and “cool” enough for a teenager. I very well might buy another MB (which would be 3 in my garage), but it won’t be one of these new ones they’re pumping out now. That’s my point of this thread. I don’t like what they’re doing now. I am likely in the minority here, but I bet not the silent minority. I might finally scratch that itch and go with the fat cat S class. Or, I might go in a completely different direction and buy a Bronco for a few years. I drove a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe yesterday. That will be a pass. Looked at a Bronco Outer Banks, and have to admit, looked like fun with the soft top!
I think MB is at a crossroads where they are knowingly abandoning customers in the search of new customers, leading with tech over focusing on quality to the detriment of outright tech. Thats great, but a lot of this tech is clearly not fully realized.

Lucky kid! If you like MB, I would seriously suggest looking at a 2018-2020 S560. In fact we should meet for lunch and catch up and you can drive mine. It truly is the most perfect car I have ever had. There just isn't anything that I don't like about it...I extensively drove S580s a couple weeks ago because I'm very close to the end of the warranty on mine and I just could not get excited about one...at least not excited enough to pay $2,000 a month for one. I'm going to keep mine another year and see the refresh. If you read the forums too, they are surprisingly reliable.

Last edited by SW20S; 10-16-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
I enjoy the SG videos very much as well as Throttle House! Did you catch the crossover where the SG guys made a cameo in the TH intro (I think it was for the redesigned '23 Accord)?
Yep! He's great. He can be a little goofy, for instance he was clowning around in his GLS video sitting really close to the steering wheel like an old woman and it kind of detracted from his thoughts on the car, but overall he's one of the best IMO.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:47 AM

'23 GLS450
Yep! He's great. He can be a little goofy, for instance he was clowning around in his GLS video sitting really close to the steering wheel like an old woman and it kind of detracted from his thoughts on the car, but overall he's one of the best IMO.
It may be a stereotype but it's so true. My wife has seat all the way up in the GLS like that! LOL!
Old 10-16-2023, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
It may be a stereotype but it's so true. My wife has seat all the way up in the GLS like that! LOL!
LOL, if she's 5 feet tall she gets a pass!
EWL5 (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 08:52 AM

'23 GLS450
There is no question that there are legitimate reliability concerns with these vehicles stemming from the 48v system, that still doesn't negate the design superiority...that is of enough value to me that I would roll the dice on it. I know a bunch of people in the real world that have the GLS and GLE and none of them have ever had any problems, forums magnify the widespread nature of problems.
Yes, forums magnify issues. What about general owner feedback that may or many not mimic JD Power (or similar) ratings? The '23 GLC currently has a 2.7/5 star rating out of 19 reviews on Edmunds:

https://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/glc-class/
Old 10-16-2023, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Yes, forums magnify issues. What about general owner feedback that may or many not mimic JD Power (or similar) ratings? The '23 GLC currently has a 2.7/5 star rating on Edmunds:

https://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/glc-class/
The GLC is a different matter, there are really significant first year issues with the GLC, I have heard that from people at the dealership also, I'm talking about the GLS. Seems to be very model to model with Mercedes...
Old 10-16-2023, 08:56 AM

'23 GLS450
The GLC is a different matter, there are really significant first year issues with the GLC, I have heard that from people at the dealership also, I'm talking about the GLS.
This has direct impact on at least 2 current GLS owners (nc211 and myself). My GLS already went in last week and the issue was fixed. Now the rear washer fluid won't come out (wiper works). I'm going in again and not looking to be possibly stranded by a POS GLC.

As I stated in a prior reply, there's no way in hell I'll be getting a loaner GLS or even a GLE!
Old 10-16-2023, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
This has direct impact on at least 2 current GLS owners (nc211 and myself). My GLS already went in last week and the issue was fixed. Now the rear washer fluid won't come out (wiper works). I'm going in again and not looking to be possibly stranded by a POS GLC.

As I stated in a prior reply, there's no way in hell I'll be getting a loaner GLS or even a GLE!
nc211 has not had any 48v issues with his GLS, and issues with the rear washer fluid are not related. Was yours in the shop for a 48v issue? The issue of the split seats and the washer fluid is annoying, but it doesn't leave you stranded. I have had 7 Lexuses and I never had 1 that didn't go to the dealer a couple times even early in their lives for a warranty issue.

As for loaners, if you are concerned about a new GLC leaving you stranded like it left him, just refuse to take one as a loaner. I refuse GLA and GLB loaners all the time and they find me something else. I've gotten E Classes, C Classes, GLCs (the old model) and they always try and give me GLAs and GLBs and A Classes. If I can drive any of those coming out of an S Class you can too coming out of a GLS
Old 10-16-2023, 09:15 AM

'23 GLS450
nc211 has not had any 48v issues with his GLS, and issues with the rear washer fluid are not related. Was yours in the shop for a 48v issue? The issue of the split seats and the washer fluid is annoying, but it doesn't leave you stranded. I have had 7 Lexuses and I never had 1 that didn't go to the dealer a couple times even early in their lives for a warranty issue.

As for loaners, if you are concerned about a new GLC leaving you stranded like it left him, just refuse to take one as a loaner. I refuse GLA and GLB loaners all the time and they find me something else. I've gotten E Classes, C Classes, GLCs (the old model) and they always try and give me GLAs and GLBs and A Classes. If I can drive any of those coming out of an S Class you can too coming out of a GLS
I posted this in a different thread but could what I experienced below be 48V-related?

With just a bit over 4k miles on my '23 GLS450, the DAPP went bonkers on me. On its own, the following services failed:
- Collision avoidance
- Cruise control
- Adaptive cruise control (DISTRONIC)
- Active Steering Assist
- Active Blind Spot Assist

I'm sure more stuff failed because I wasn't actively using it, etc. In stop and go traffic, I turned off the ignition and restarted the car. Services resumed normally after this.
"Mercedes, the best....when it feels like it!"
​​​​​​​
Old 10-16-2023, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
I came home from the hospital in a then new W126 380SE. This brand has been a part of my life since I literally rolled out of the hospital (Multiple W126, W140 and W220 cars followed). My cars in my sig are my personal owned vehicles (and I ordered my 2012 and owned it until 2021, so it was not a short term thing).

I feel there are a lot of people who are guying for the badge who are doing the complaining, personally. I know several of us in this conversation are from the DC area, where CLA/A/C/GLA/GLC cars are about as ubiquitous as the Accord and Civic - usually on lease specials, and usually being driven by people who wouldn't know what driving dynamics are and who think an oil pressure light means change the oil.

Last edited by MDMercedesGuy; 10-16-2023 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2023, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450

I'm fairly confident that your washer fluid issue is caused by the dealer leaving the hose disconnected when reinstalling interior plastics, and is not a failing of the brand itself. It still inconveniences you as a customer no less, but it isn't really the car's fault.

FWIW, I had a line blow apart for the rearview mirror camera washer in my Suburban, I kept losing washer fluid and the dealer couldn't figure out what was going on. I am the one that found the issue - and about 5 gallons of washer fluid under the rear floor from the tank siphoning when parked uphill in my driveway. There being a barbed tee fitting with a compression fit behind a panel blowing apart is the car's fault and a stupid design - it's a new model year (although not a new feature), the irritating nonetheless. The dealer not being able to figure out what was going on with washer fluid across 3 different visits was not the fault of the vehicle. (it's also the reason why I am making the decision to walk away from GM, not the vehicles - but awful dealership experiences in the DC area, no loaners at all on a $90K vehicle, etc).
EWL5 (10-16-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is going on with MB??