Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Annihilated an SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65, 911
Annihilated an SL55

Ahh, the perfect evening! The rain has dried up again, the NorCal air is warm, and the Viper has its top down and the stereo cranked up. I swing by the local shopping center to pick up a copy of the just-released "Splinter Cell-Chaos Theory" and a cup of coffee, and am on my way back home on Woodside road when I see... up ahead, turning onto Woodside, yes! a Black SL with 4 tailpipes. I catch up to him in a couple of lights and sure enough, the rear decklid reads "SL55 ... AMG". I'm tucked right on the SL's tail as he accelerates out of the light, and I stay a carlength behind to make sure he gets the message as we cross 50 MPH.

At the next light both lanes are clear, and we're rolling toward the stoplight side by side at perhaps 15 mph when the light turns. The mercedes lunges forward; I'm in 2nd gear but there's no time to shift so I nail the throttle. The V10 inhales cool evening air and lunges forward, grabbing the SL55 by an invisible tether and YANKING it backwards with a ferocity which is surprising. Remember that E55 vs SLR video? This is much more dramatic. The SRT surges through 2nd gear, and at about 60 MPH both rear tires light up as the engine hits peak torque. I tag the rev limiter instantly, already two carlengths ahead, grab 3rd and put two more carlengths on the SL55 in the couple seconds it takes to hit 90 MPH. With the SL fading quickly and my mental speedo flashing "GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL", I hit the binders and shortly return to legal speeds. The SL pulls back up along side me and the driver looks over and waves. I give him a wave and a big thumbs up, and then he's on his way into Woodside and I'm turning off to head home.

Big power and light weight... how sweet it is Of course, now what I really want is to pit the SRT against an SL65. Maybe my wife would race me in the SL... hmmm......
Old 03-31-2005, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever keys I grab first...
What I want to see, if my ME 4-12 against your SL65... which I dont have.
:p Hahaha NICE KILL! Nice write up too.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
OK Ok since no one else will...fine ill drive the SL65 and you can drive the Viper and we can race. God...

Good kill.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^ LOL. Uh, Fred, I think since it has so much power, its better left to me. Im used to it-- sort of. :p
Old 03-31-2005, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
Originally Posted by Lexani
^^ LOL. Uh, Fred, I think since it has so much power, its better left to me. Im used to it-- sort of. :p
i think he has almost 200 more lb feet of torque over you now, so it doesnt matter which one of us drive it, we wouldnt be able to control it.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Good kill Treynor
Y are you so c*cky Lexani?
Old 03-31-2005, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^ Blackbenz, relax and breathe. We were just making some jokes. And Fred, still its better that he has only 200Ilbs of torque over me, because over you he must have near 600! So it does matter.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:47 AM

'02 c230k coupe
no fighting guys

since i live in NOrcall. i'll drive your SL. free of charge!! ... i know i can handle it... "hands on 10 o'clock, and 2 o'clock*" and ill bring my heavy shoes.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:52 PM

Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 360 C.S.
Originally Posted by treynor
Ahh, the perfect evening! The rain has dried up again, the NorCal air is warm, and the Viper has its top down and the stereo cranked up. I swing by the local shopping center to pick up a copy of the just-released "Splinter Cell-Chaos Theory" and a cup of coffee, and am on my way back home on Woodside road when I see... up ahead, turning onto Woodside, yes! a Black SL with 4 tailpipes. I catch up to him in a couple of lights and sure enough, the rear decklid reads "SL55 ... AMG". I'm tucked right on the SL's tail as he accelerates out of the light, and I stay a carlength behind to make sure he gets the message as we cross 50 MPH.

At the next light both lanes are clear, and we're rolling toward the stoplight side by side at perhaps 15 mph when the light turns. The mercedes lunges forward; I'm in 2nd gear but there's no time to shift so I nail the throttle. The V10 inhales cool evening air and lunges forward, grabbing the SL55 by an invisible tether and YANKING it backwards with a ferocity which is surprising. Remember that E55 vs SLR video? This is much more dramatic. The SRT surges through 2nd gear, and at about 60 MPH both rear tires light up as the engine hits peak torque. I tag the rev limiter instantly, already two carlengths ahead, grab 3rd and put two more carlengths on the SL55 in the couple seconds it takes to hit 90 MPH. With the SL fading quickly and my mental speedo flashing "GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL", I hit the binders and shortly return to legal speeds. The SL pulls back up along side me and the driver looks over and waves. I give him a wave and a big thumbs up, and then he's on his way into Woodside and I'm turning off to head home.

Big power and light weight... how sweet it is Of course, now what I really want is to pit the SRT against an SL65. Maybe my wife would race me in the SL... hmmm......

i like how you wrote that... that's awesome!!
Old 03-31-2005, 02:50 PM
PDC

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
Now THAT'S how to post a "kill"

Everybody take note. Well written "Kill" stories like this one are a blast to read, tell it like it is, and do so in a way that doesn't dump gas and a book of matches on the board! Treynor doesn't need to say anything insulting or disparaging about the SL driver, or his car, or his anatomy, or his heritage, or anything else. The mutual wave and the thumbs up at the end of the sprint say: "that was fun... that's why we like these kinds of cars" Sure, not everyone will be as dignified in defeat as was the SL driver in this story, but the reason this is so cool is that Treynor is such a dignified winner. You're absolutely right, big power and little curb weight make for much fun!
Old 03-31-2005, 03:16 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507
Great kill, and great story, congrats! Must be nice to know whatever car you happen to be driving, you could kill most anything on the road. Kudos to you!

Hey, maybe a dumb question; how do you like the Renntech upgrades? I am considering some for my E55 and am not sure which way to go. I also hear good things about Kleemann.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Banned

your sister.
Dont worry guys, i can handle the power of a sl65
Old 03-31-2005, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
Talking

Originally Posted by perzbenz
Dont worry guys, i can handle the power of a sl65
You cant even handle smirnoff how the hell do you think you can handle an SL65?

Dont even get me started on safety dancing your *** back to your cave.

Last edited by FThornton666; 03-31-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:38 PM
Banned

your sister.
Originally Posted by DancingBenzos
You cant even handle smirnoff how the hell do you think you can handle an SL65?

Dont even get me started on safety dancing your *** back to your cave.

OMFGL WOWOOW ROFLCOPTER>.... lol!!! i forgot about myspace
Old 04-01-2005, 02:21 AM
Banned

SL65, 911
> Hey, maybe a dumb question; how do you like the Renntech upgrades?

They're excellent, and perform exactly as advertised. This is the second car I've RENNtech'd
Old 04-01-2005, 11:49 AM

2015 C63 AMG 507
Thanks Ben, BTW, I visited your home page, very nice family and toys you are blessed with
Old 04-01-2005, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350

They're excellent, and perform exactly as advertised. This is the second car I've RENNtech'd

Consider your thread hijacked. If you want it back you can find me and Perz aka sean down here in socal. THe terms are one SL65 sold to us for 2 dollars. Make sure it has a full tank of gas or else the rims get it.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:18 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited

Rented a new SRT-10 in Vegas a few weeks back, what a blast and the sound is AWESOME! Everyone was looking when I drove up the strip.

The best feeling was when I left for the airport the next day to catch a 7am flight and driving down the strip. What a feeling to be the only one on the strip at 5:30am and all the hotel lights are on tearing down the strip in the SRT-10!
Old 04-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
04E55AMG- We're having a meet on wednesday at 8:00PM in rockville at the starbucks where 355 and montrose road cross. Its supposed to be good weather and we expect a good turnout. It would be cool to see a new member.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL350
Originally Posted by Noredline
Hey, maybe a dumb question; how do you like the Renntech upgrades? I am considering some for my E55 and am not sure which way to go. I also hear good things about Kleemann.
Noredline, have you been to Dyno-Comp in Scottsdale? They can do the install and dyno it before and after.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:26 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507
Yup, I've been there, had my radar and sound system installed next door at Signature Audio. I spoke with the guys at DynoComp, they seem very knowledgable. I am wierd though, I think I prefer to keep all mods from the same manufacturer i.e. Kleeman. They are almost ready to sell the cooling mod and I spoke with a local installer recommended by my SA at the dealer, he said he is working on a retro 282 rear end as opposeed to the stock 265 rear end, in addition to the LSD from Kleeman. The reason I asked about Renntech is that there is a local shop who wanted to go crazy modding my car and told me he would do everything at cost in exchange for me letting people ride in my car at his shop's grand opening. He came back at a price that I thought was rediculous. He told me retail would be $28,500 plus tax, he offered me this for $23,500 incl tax, 630 hp and he wasnt sure of the torque gains;

CF airbox/intake
pulley
chip tune
headers
exhaust
larger throttle body
spoiler
renntech wheels 19/9.5 and 19/10.5 w/ PS2's
renntech steering wheel

A lot of dough for something that is not my first choice. I think I will stick with the Kleeman mods if/when I am ready. I may not even mess with this car anyway, and get the new E with the TT8 in '07. We just bought a lot and are going to build a custom, kinda need the extra cash for expenses.

Sorry Ben, didnt mean to hijack
Old 04-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Ben, since my SL65 is still stock, let's do it. Email me.....
Old 04-09-2005, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208
Well written. Two thumbs up!
Rock ON!!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 07:49 PM

SL55 AMG, Superformance Daytona Coupe, 350RWHP TRD Sequoia, Porsche 928S
Similar matchup (car-wise that is!). Friend of mine was in town recently. I'd bought an SL55 a few months prior. I also own a Superformance Daytona Coupe. We were in the garage shootin' the breeze and talking cars. Then the inevitable question was raised.

Within minutes we were headed east on 78; Sam in the 55 and myself in the Daytona. We performed three roll-ons, each at the following:
60, 80, and 100mph.

I think we were both surprised at the results. The Daytona ran off and left the 55 EVERY TIME. I guess there's a lot to be said for power/weight.

On the way home we were fortunate enough to get to line up side by side twice at two different redlights. A little wheelspin later, as well as a BEAUTIFULLY CHOREOGRAPHED (read: lucky we didn't tag each other) synchronized sideways drift action we were off again! The Daytona jumped ahead a little over a car length and then walked away. I really thought the 55 would do better right out of the hole with all of the electronic gizmometry.

Anyways, we were heading up 69 on the way back to the house when we caught up to a black c5 vette. Too bad it wasn't a Z06. I guess it wasn't even modded. We both sent that fella home with the new feeling of having just been on the bad end of a tag-teaming! I can't think of too many better ways to spend a beautiful Alabama summer afternoon than racing around in those two cars.

Good evening to all!
Be safe!

Drag
Old 06-02-2005, 12:07 AM

2005 C55 AMG (Capri Blue)
Ahh, yes, Viper acceleration is a wonderful thing. One of my favorite cars to drive in the world is my Dad's lightly modified '99 RT/10. It puts down 500rwhp through a low ratio rear end. The acceleration is what I would call relentless. I did have the good fortune of driving our "new to us" '03 575m when I went home to visit recently, and that is also a torque-meister. I think my Dad may be a bit of a torque-o-holic as his third most torquey car is a Z06!

Driving those cars really put me off my NSX. When I had the chance to move up to an AMG V8, I never looked back.

Nice kill.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Annihilated an SL55