Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Some Track Day Fun in the SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Some Track Day Fun in the SL55

Last weekend I was instructing at a car club track day and for our trouble the instructors got free track time.

During the instructor session there were 4 of us out there....a C6 Z06, 996, NSX, and my SL55. I was quite surprised at watching the gaps betwen the cars. The vette and I kept roughly the same distances relative to where we were on the track. I was reeling in the 996 and handly pulling away from the NSX...and the track is a pretty technical, tight track. Very satisfying!
Attached Thumbnails Some Track Day Fun in the SL55-sltrack1.jpg  
Old 05-16-2006, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mymbonline
nice, ur a good driver
i would definitely put my $ on the nsx rather than a sl55 on a tight track.

what kind of 996 was it?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by AMG_55
nice, ur a good driver
i would definitely put my $ on the nsx rather than a sl55 on a tight track.

what kind of 996 was it?
I would have thought the same thing about the NSX. I have done drives with the NSX guy on several occassions and he usually doesn'r keep up that well, no matter what I bring........so it could have been different.........

The 996 had a GT3 type wing, but I don't know exactly what it was. It wasn't a turbo for sure.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
I would have thought the same thing about the NSX. I have done drives with the NSX guy on several occassions and he usually doesn'r keep up that well, no matter what I bring........so it could have been different.........

The 996 had a GT3 type wing, but I don't know exactly what it was. It wasn't a turbo for sure.

i drove a slightly modified nsx and it was very nice, the most direct/involving car that i have ever drove.
its like a go kart.

maybe a carrera w/ the "sport" body kit, ive seen a few of those around.

does your sl have the 030 performance package?
Old 05-18-2006, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG_55
i drove a slightly modified nsx and it was very nice, the most direct/involving car that i have ever drove.
its like a go kart.

maybe a carrera w/ the "sport" body kit, ive seen a few of those around.

does your sl have the 030 performance package?
No. Its pretty stock except for 19s and some sticky PS cup tires, and some ECU work.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The NSX was one of the reasons I attended college. After graduating, there were other options available with room for four and stronger performance - straight line, anyway - so I never bought one. I STILL want one, though. All you have to do is supercharge them to address the lack of power (and many owners do)...
Old 05-18-2006, 01:53 PM

A Beater
That is an awesome picture of your SL55 in action... I took my uncle to the track and he had a blast riding with me in his SL65. He never knew his car can do all that (high speed cornering, power drift, and etc.).
Old 05-19-2006, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by XPRO.US
That is an awesome picture of your SL55 in action... I took my uncle to the track and he had a blast riding with me in his SL65. He never knew his car can do all that (high speed cornering, power drift, and etc.).
So many owners of high performance cars have no idea (or have the skills to handle), what their car is capable of.

Everyone wants to spend huge $$ on performance mods...but the best money spent would be on a driver's school.

Well done for getting him out there..and well done for him as well.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:56 AM

A Beater
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
So many owners of high performance cars have no idea (or have the skills to handle), what their car is capable of.

Everyone wants to spend huge $$ on performance mods...but the best money spent would be on a driver's school.

Well done for getting him out there..and well done for him as well.
My uncle is like my father when pop's gone.. He works hard and never got to enjoy his toys... Remembering back when I used to take his Mercs out on a date back in HS. Back in HS I was scoring with 21 years old.... Freaking pimp man...
Old 05-19-2006, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
IngenereAMG, can I just ask: Why did you sell the Ferrari F40 and Testarossa and keep the 348 and Mondial?

If you feel it's none of our business, that's cool too...
Old 05-20-2006, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 1985MB380SE
IngenereAMG, can I just ask: Why did you sell the Ferrari F40 and Testarossa and keep the 348 and Mondial?

If you feel it's none of our business, that's cool too...

I had the F40 for 10 years. Had huge fun...........and there was a big profit in the car. The TR is old tech. The Mondial is probably next to go...but it is a great all around car. The 348 is still huge fun, and I still like the looks...so it stays.