Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Sorta road kill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F248 F1
Unhappy Sorta road kill

Sorta road kill 
Since I was 15ish I have been going out for night drives or so I call them. I go driving around our local mountains mastering my cornering skills. Well I have been going out a night drive for the last consecutive 5 days. I have been really stressed out so I go out for a drive. Tonight, I was coming out of a fast left hander at about 95mph, and I see a bunny in the corner of my eye. He runs to the right side of the road where I’m going and then I switch my line to the center to avoid him and he goes to the center! I have about 10 feet left before I hit the poor guy, and I go back to the right and I guess he went to the left? I pulled over to see if I had killed him. I saw no blood on the car and then I drove back and didn’t see the little guy. I felt like crap, because I know I probably injured him. Would you have run him over? without going through all the trouble that i did ?It’s not the first time I risk my life to avoid hitting an animal. The funny part is tonight, I encounter MANY OF THEM! Never before have I encounter so many animals in one night! The best animal I have encounter is a bobcat with it’s baby.
Tonight:
-Bunny
-Squirrel (?)
-One deer
-Raccoon
-Family of 4 deer’s!
-Cat!
-Deer
-Family of 4 Armadillos! I slam on the brakes. The mom(?) had already crossed the road, but she saw I stopped for them so she crossed the road back with her children as I watched. After she just waited that I went by (pretty damn cute)
-Two deer’s!
After the 3rd animal I encounter, I just cruised around the Mountain at about 80 mph. I figured it wasn’t my night to push.

Alright that’s my rant! Sorry guy’s I have been very stressed out lately.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Oh I wouldn't worry about it. About two weeks ago I ran over a bird. It landed in front of me as I was driving down the road. I instinctively accelerated and it looked like I would drive directly over it and not hit it, but it must have tried to escape at the last second and caught the passenger side wheels. As I drove on all I saw was this large poof of feathers in the rearview mirror and something laying in the road.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:49 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Although you may feel bad, just run it over... whatever it is. Do you really want to risk your life by trying to avoid it? Isn't there a Geico commercial of that?

Anyways, if an animal runs onto the road, I'd rather hit it than swerve and possibly risk my own life. The only exception is if I have plenty of room to manuever or if it's a large animal like a deer. You hit a deer, and it'll wipe YOU out. Take out it's legs and where does the body go?!

PS. I once read that animals run away from loud noises. That said, many times they run from rock walls, garage doors, etc. The echo from those items usually scare them right into the oncoming car.

Last edited by dsb; 08-17-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:42 PM

NSX
I don't know if you can "just run him over", because instinctively you try to avoid sudden obstacles in the road. Would I make a habit of getting rid of that instinct? is that what you are asking? I would say no. If there is another oncoming car, my instinct is to slam on the brakes, not swerve. If there is a car behind me, my instinct is to brake as much as I think he can handle as I watch him in my rearview.

In those cases you may or may not kill the animal, but if you are a decent driver, you should instinctively do the right thing. I don't see a need to intentionaly think "Hey I will just run this guy over, just in case". You are driving a car with good performance. And you pride yourself in your driving (as you are practicing too). Why make an intention to not try to save an animal's life?

A road is an endless line to an animal. They have to cross at some point. Many times they cross when its dry simply to find water. We cut into their habitat too... so my best advice is make sure your car performs well. Make sure your skills are good and that you are alert. Slow down where there is more risk.

I expect more out of a car enthusiast with a nice MB than I do from some knucklehead on his cell phone driving a taurus.

Live and let live.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
I don't know if you can "just run him over", because instinctively you try to avoid sudden obstacles in the road. Would I make a habit of getting rid of that instinct? is that what you are asking? I would say no. If there is another oncoming car, my instinct is to slam on the brakes, not swerve. If there is a car behind me, my instinct is to brake as much as I think he can handle as I watch him in my rearview.

In those cases you may or may not kill the animal, but if you are a decent driver, you should instinctively do the right thing. I don't see a need to intentionaly think "Hey I will just run this guy over, just in case". You are driving a car with good performance. And you pride yourself in your driving (as you are practicing too). Why make an intention to not try to save an animal's life?

A road is an endless line to an animal. They have to cross at some point. Many times they cross when its dry simply to find water. We cut into their habitat too... so my best advice is make sure your car performs well. Make sure your skills are good and that you are alert. Slow down where there is more risk.

I expect more out of a car enthusiast with a nice MB than I do from some knucklehead on his cell phone driving a taurus.

Live and let live.
Excellent points man
Old 08-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Banned

F248 F1

Live and let live.
good points. But i dissagree with the hitting the brakes. That's a big no no. That would upset the balance of the car and would have been a total wash out for the next turn which was tight chicane.

the ricker, have you ever been on hwy 25 ?! i went there today for my first time. That place is insanely nice! SUPER DUPER NICE ROADS. I was flying by there at 110-120 avg, relaxing not even pushing around the turns. They are SO SO smooth and wide. I will have to go there sometime next week and push myself to the limit see how long it takes me from Hollister- King city. I think its 85 miles ? should take me less then 45 mins. We shall see !

Oh here's a link of a vid of one of my fav roads:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UJ22gHHjpwc

This is a two way street, with only one lane. I like this road because it helps me be percise, consistant and car control with many bumps and what not. One mistake and wham..but hey after doing it since i was a kid, this stuff is a piece of cake. I do hold back around the Mtns because you never know whats around the corner. anyways enjoy ! I'll try to post more vids.

Last edited by egxpimp; 08-18-2006 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:07 PM

Live and let live.
Like the others, I agree w/ you. Very well said.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:11 PM

egxpimp - Wow, that's a lot of animals to encounter, especially in one night. Glad you're so patient to let them get out of the way, even when you're having a bad day.

So far, I've avoided dogs, cats, birds, squirrels, etc. I hope my luck continues.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by egxpimp
good points. But i dissagree with the hitting the brakes. That's a big no no. That would upset the balance of the car and would have been a total wash out for the next turn which was tight chicane.

the ricker, have you ever been on hwy 25 ?! i went there today for my first time. That place is insanely nice! SUPER DUPER NICE ROADS. I was flying by there at 110-120 avg, relaxing not even pushing around the turns. They are SO SO smooth and wide. I will have to go there sometime next week and push myself to the limit see how long it takes me from Hollister- King city. I think its 85 miles ? should take me less then 45 mins. We shall see !

Oh here's a link of a vid of one of my fav roads:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UJ22gHHjpwc

This is a two way street, with only one lane. I like this road because it helps me be percise, consistant and car control with many bumps and what not. One mistake and wham..but hey after doing it since i was a kid, this stuff is a piece of cake. I do hold back around the Mtns because you never know whats around the corner. anyways enjoy ! I'll try to post more vids.
Kewl vids! I'm just starting to push this C6 Vette around the twisties, the more I exceed my old limits the more this car transmits back to me---"More-More! come on pu**y I'm made for this sh*t!"
Old 08-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Banned

F248 F1
!! yea go easy on the first few runs...dont smash the throttle right out of the turn cuz you will get that thing sideways hahaha J25 is VERY wide, VERY smooth, GREAT grip... highly recomend it. I'll go back there next week, perhaps a wednsday and record everything as i take turns in the triple digits, and maxing out in the 8-10 mile straighway they have! The road is empty ( at least it was yesterday) !

Oh and learn the road first, and have confidence in yourself and your car! You two have to become two in one ! dont ovver push yourself !

Last edited by egxpimp; 08-18-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by mcbaes72
egxpimp - Wow, that's a lot of animals to encounter, especially in one night. Glad you're so patient to let them get out of the way, even when you're having a bad day.

So far, I've avoided dogs, cats, birds, squirrels, etc. I hope my luck continues.
haha hopefully !

Yeah, that night was crazy--full of animals. I try to avoid them at all cost if i can. It's their home after all, and i'm an entruder using the road for my night drives, at least thats the way i see it. It's good though, as longest i avoid them. I sharper out my reflexes, they get better and more accurate for unpredictable situations. I have crashed twice. One was on a sharp lright turn, i lost the front end because of gravel, but i manage to control it with the gas and redirecting the wheel so it was only a a very very minor left side scrach on the bushes- with 0 damages. My other one was a very sharp right hander, fast, in the rain. I went into it at about 70...i didnt see a little river forming on the middle of the turn with mud and i lost the front end...ended up hitting against the mtn for $2000 damges (all suspension related). Oh well, it wasent the benz haha plus i like the rain...gives me a good challenge. So in 5 years i have crashed once in the rain and once in the dry...not bad. Thanks to these night drives, i think i'm a very good driver, with fast reflexes and great car control...and you can ask the sheriff who tried to catch up with me in the twisties as proof ! within 5 miles hahaha i open up over a 5 min gap between and him i guess cops 'super trainning' isnt that great after all

Last edited by egxpimp; 08-18-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:58 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Lots of good driving information but I'm not sure "Kill Section" was really meant for actual carnage stories. How many Beemers have you killed. Now, that's a good story.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Rudyrono
Lots of good driving information but I'm not sure "Kill Section" was really meant for actual carnage stories. How many Beemers have you killed. Now, that's a good story.

It's all in good fun. He's posted actual vehicular kill stories in the past.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by AsianML

It's all in good fun. He's posted actual vehicular kill stories in the past.

WOW! AML defneded me for once ! oh i think i'm going to ... i'm touched !
Old 08-19-2006, 01:28 PM

NSX
I hate to sound like someone's dad, and I realize this is a "kill stories" section.. but please be careful... you do realize this is a public road open to anyone and anything...

what if some 80 year old is driving his camry the opposite direction coming around a corner and swerves into your area? I mean you are admitting to going over 100MPH on a narrow mountain road. At night. At times in the rain.

I'd hate for a thread like this to be looked upon one day with a sad face from you thinking "I wrote that one day". Please just be careful. Its not your driving skills I worry about, its the others that share that same road.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Unfortunately its preobably better to stay the course with your car, rather than make any crazy moves. I avoided a bobcat in a 308 while I was in the middle of a corner (while balanced on the limit), and had an 'off road' excursion. The bobcat was fine and the Fcar had $28K of damage......but I'm glad I didn't harm the little guy.

Nice video.........but is it really wise to post a video of you braking the law on a public forum? Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid, but it is evidence and possibly an enterprising, overzealous law enforcement person could cause you a bit of hassle. It happened to some friends of mine.

Have fun and be safe!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Banned

F248 F1
No problema AMG2go I fully understand. One step at a time. I quit speeding on local roads/freeway. Back roads...i don't know if i can leave that just like that. That's one of my fav 'tracks' as you can say. The reason i go at night is so i can see when theirs an incomming car Over the years i have develope this '6th sense' that i can feel the presense of the car comming --and the fact that you can see the headlights around the turns. Hmm usually i go around 2-3 AM in the morning so probabiliy is low but i know i still run a risk. I also don't push 100% because of the fact thats theirs still that slight chance u might miss a hint of incomming car. id say i push about 70%....but yup dad said he is willing to pay track fees once a week for me if i quit driving around the mtns at night! so thats a good thing ! He's finally going to support me :shocked:

IngenereAMG WOW! I'm glad you are okay too. Eh we have a few officers here, and i have been lectured by them enough about not speeding. I don't anymore on the freeway/local roads anymore (before mostly on freeway). Speeding in a straight line, i get no satisfaction. Plus who said i was speeding :rollseyes: thats the speed limit on that road! That video was computer generated you can't possibly go that fast on such tight road! I'm hitting the track in 2 weeks with dsb, hopefully it will be a nice event! First time at IRW. Let's see how my skills are at the track.

BTW, i have said it before (awhile back, about two years or so) and ill say it again! You have an awesome garage!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
WOW! AML defneded me for once ! oh i think i'm going to ... i'm touched !
Why would I not defend you?
Old 08-20-2006, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
I ran over a dog once.

It was way out in the country and pitch black. Driving a tad too fast, saw the dog on the ground (looks like it was injured already, but moving) for a split second and nailed the brakes. Too late. Bam, nailed my head against the ceiling of the van (thank god it wasn't the S, or else my bumper would have ripped apart). It was like going over a huge speed bump.

I felt terrible. I wanted to turn around to see if I can help at all, but my gut told me it was a goner.

Checked the van the next day. No blood on the underside, but a broken suspension link.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:17 AM

NSX
What would you do in this situation? I found a racoon on the road that was hit... he was not dead.. but bleeding badly.... he was trying to move with his front arms... back legs were gone... As I passed I saw a miserable look on its face. I felt very bad and knew he was in pain. I thought the only thing to do is to put him out of his misery... he wasn't going to make it. I turned my car around... now I know I have to intentionaly drive over this injured animal.

I have never in my 20 years of driving killed one animal, and here I was doing it on purpose. I had a sort of sick feeling knowing this is the right thing to do... I was wondering what it would feel like to drive over his head... my palms got a bit sweaty... I didn't like what I was about to do... as I approached, I noticed he had stopped moving... next to him now was a cop looking at him and he said to me "he is gone". I was relieved.

Would you have done the same thing in this situation? I know some would just drive past, but if you literally saw this bleeding animal actually look your way while trying to pull itself with only its arms, you'd probably have to feel something. I hope I am never in that situation again.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:34 AM
Banned

F248 F1
Both your story and Newtons hurt me like heck.

I'm a real animal lover. I love them to death. My dad threw away two of my dogs about 4 months ago. And to this day, i feel ____ towards him. We don't talk much still because of that.

Let me put it this way. I'm willing to risk my life crashing into something instead of running over an animal. No one has the right to take another living animals life, specaily me-on my night drives. As i said, thats their home. I don't know what i would do. I know i would pull over, thats a for sure.

When i was a kid. Someone ran over my dog infront of me. The ******* who ran him over, lived about 6 houses down. I picked him up and ran to a Vet's office that was 5-6 blocks away. I was burried with blood....but yeah...he didnt make it. I gave him a proper funeral. A few weeks later, the same SOB ran over my neighboors 2 dogs. My neighboor was 25ish at the time. He had two Boxers. Male and Female. I knew them both since they were babies. His dogs use to play with mine. Well anyways, i realized i'm not the only animal crazy lover out there. Roxan, she fell buried inblood right infront of his house. He rushed her to the hospital. Rox, trails of blood lead to my back yard...and i was helping him find him...blahh sad moments. When an innocent animal dies, it has hurt me more then when some of my relatives have passed away.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:54 PM

NSX
I have been in the same boat as you before. You have to get yourself to a race track to get this out of your system. Its safe, its a lot more fun, and it improves your driving skills ten fold. I used to hang out there all the time. It also takes the urge out of going fast on the streets. Really, you get it out of your system.

Sorry to hear about your dogs. Be careful on those mountain roads.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
What a retard.

Real men conqueor the fur. Ask Richard Gere about the gerbil.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar

IngenereAMG WOW! I'm glad you are okay too. Eh we have a few officers here, and i have been lectured by them enough about not speeding. I don't anymore on the freeway/local roads anymore (before mostly on freeway). Speeding in a straight line, i get no satisfaction. Plus who said i was speeding :rollseyes: thats the speed limit on that road! That video was computer generated you can't possibly go that fast on such tight road! I'm hitting the track in 2 weeks with dsb, hopefully it will be a nice event! First time at IRW. Let's see how my skills are at the track.

BTW, i have said it before (awhile back, about two years or so) and ill say it again! You have an awesome garage!
Thanks for the garage compliment. As fun as the track is, there is nothing quite like spanking a challenging public road!!

I have to ask......who is the girl in your sig., very nice!!
Old 08-21-2006, 11:36 AM

NSX
Originally Posted by Vomit
What a retard.

Real men conqueor the fur. Ask Richard Gere about the gerbil.
A real man has no need to prove his superiority to another being by any means. Neither by killing another being, nor by calling another person names.

Nor will a real man be hurt by another telling him what he is and what he is not. A real man already knows.... and for him, there is no need for constant outward expression.

Last edited by AMG2GO; 08-21-2006 at 12:13 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sorta road kill