Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

raced an 07 911 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Thumbs up raced an 07 911 turbo

I haven’t had my C32 for that long, but I put in stage II+ mods, and I’ve been anxious to race a nice car. My patience finally paid off, and today I had the pleasure of running a 07 911 turbo on the highway.

I was minding my own business and heading home at around 2pm when I noticed some xenons lights in my rear view that looked like a 997. Traffic was flowing at around 75mph, and I was behind a pocket of vehicles. The 997 caught up to my tail. I slowed down a bit to clear a some highway, then gunned the throttle to let him know that I was interested. A path finally opened up in the cars ahead, and I went for it. He didn’t bite. I continued to drive normally at that point, thinking he wasn’t going to race. He continued to follow me at around 90mph. We caught up to another group of slower moving vehicles. A somewhat risky path opened up in that pocket of cars, but I didn’t go for it. After a few seconds, the 997 gunned it. When it blew by me, I noticed that it was a new black 2007 911 turbo! I was VERY interested now!

We approached an open road tolling ipass booth. I stayed in the left lane, but he apparently didn’t have an ipass, so he got in the cash lane. Damn! I kept looking in the rear view mirror, but he was gone. I said screw it, let me wait for this guy. I got behind a slow moving big rig, and cruised at about 45mph. A few minutes went by, and then I saw those 997 xenons in my rear view again! I got in the left lane, and he was right behind me. We were now behind another group of cars. The left lane cleared up, so I gunned it, passed all the cars, and then got in the right lane. I was hoping he would get parallel to me, and we’d do a 3 horn rolling start. He went WOT and blew right past me. I was a little disappointed. I think he thought I was going WOT the whole time. He let off so I caught up and got right behind him. Once the left lane cleared, he gunned it again, at about 70mph, and so did I. He got up to about 120mph, and I was surprised that we were actually pretty even! I think that caught the guy’s attention.

We did some weaving, and got to another patch of open road. This time he stayed in the left lane and wasn’t going WOT yet. I gunned it from about 80mph and quickly merged onto the right. Once he saw that, he gunned it too. I got about a 1 car lead since I gunned it first. He started to slowly pull on me, and by 130mph, his rear bumper was about a half car length ahead of mine. Nice pull! I could see the blue/white turbo spool smoke coming from his exhaust.

We did at least five more similar 80-125ish pulls. We would gun it as long as we could before having to slow down for traffic. When we would both start out at the same time, he would instantly jump out about 3/4 of a car length, then slowly pull away. I was having a great time!

We were both itching to get to a longer stretch of open highway. We finally got what we wanted. We were both in the right lane with me in front and passed the last group of cars before a VERY long stretch of open road. I gunned it from about 70mph, and he did the same. Since I gunned it first, I had about a 2 car head start. That lead seems to disappear instantly. He got in the left lane, and was right at my side. He started to pull away, and by somewhere around 110-130, he had passed me. I’m not sure exactly what speed since I was concentrating on the road. We both continued to pull and he continued to creep away. We kept going and going, and I was doing around 175 when he hit the brakes. He was about 4 car lengths away at that point. We were approaching traffic VERY quickly, and we both slowed down to about 90. I was amazed! I’ve never taken this car to that kind of speed before, and I didn’t think the car would even be in the same ball park as a 997 turbo! The 911 was beautiful, and was remarkably quiet during all the pulls, or I at least couldn’t hear much over my own engine. He walked me pretty good, but I was expecting to get destroyed.

After that, we did a few more of the 80-125 pulls for fun, and just weaved around in traffic. He started to weave a little too aggressively for my taste, so he started to get away from me in traffic. By this point, we were approaching another ipass toll booth. I saw him approaching the cash lane, so I got in the right lane. I gave a few honks to the guy, and he gave me a smile and a big thumbs up. I did the same and we parted ways. It’s nice to find someone driving a real performance car that isn’t afraid to actually use it.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS, SLK, ETC
nice write up.. Have you dyno'd ur car? How much power is it making?
I want to race an n/a 997 to see how my car will do.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
nice write up.. Have you dyno'd ur car? How much power is it making?
I want to race an n/a 997 to see how my car will do.
I put down 319rwhp on a dyno dynamics dyno. Remember that those dynos read out significantly lower numbers than dynojets. I'm pretty sure that translates to ~440hp at the crank
Old 10-29-2006, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Nice Dude! It Sounds Like Loads Of Fun! It Must Have Been An Experience! Nothing Better Then To Take On Such High Performance Ands High Priced Car. I'm Jealous!
Old 10-29-2006, 11:34 PM

2006 BMW X5 4.8is and 2005 C55 AMG
175!!!! Man I don't care what car I'm in or what I'm racing. I wouldn't be chasing anyone at those speeds on ****ty US highways. 150 is about the most I would have nerve to go up to and even that I'd hesitate at.

I don't know the IL laws so I'm just curious what would of happened to you if the highway patrol caught you guys?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by RawAMGpower
175!!!! Man I don't care what car I'm in or what I'm racing. I wouldn't be chasing anyone at those speeds on ****ty US highways. 150 is about the most I would have nerve to go up to and even that I'd hesitate at.

I don't know the IL laws so I'm just curious what would of happened to you if the highway patrol caught you guys?
They would have given us a warning.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
nice write up! and good run!
Old 10-30-2006, 02:35 AM

2003 C32 AMG BLACK
Originally Posted by jgsx
They would have given us a warning.
LOL... actually, I got caught doing 140 and go just that.... a warning. Now the reason for that is a very special one though... I happen to be racing another cop when we both go pulled over. Fun times.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:55 AM

2006 C55 AMG
very nice write-up.

i also happened to get caught doing 135 and got a warning.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by 06C55
very nice write-up.

i also happened to get caught doing 135 and got a warning.
Your lucky because here in Cali the only thing that I think would happen is the officer saying "Step out of the car and place them on the hood! I hope you had fun because your going to jail."
Old 10-30-2006, 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
nice write up, but 175 is just too crazy
Old 10-30-2006, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by ellery
LOL... actually, I got caught doing 140 and go just that.... a warning. Now the reason for that is a very special one though... I happen to be racing another cop when we both go pulled over. Fun times.
I thought it was obvious that I was being sarcastic. If we got caught, I would have had to use my 1 phone call, and would be carpooling for a while. . .

I will never get up to a speed like that again on the highway. I focusing on the road and was pretty startled when I peeked down at the speedo.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:33 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Sweet! Wish I could have seen it.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Sweet! Wish I could have seen it.
There were a few cars that realized what was going on and wanted to watch. There was a lightly modified eclipse GS-T that was trying to toy with me when I was waiting for the return of the 997, but I wasn't interested. He didn't even have a FMIC. When he later saw the two of us blow past him, I could see him getting in the middle of the two lanes to get a better view of our runs since he was behind a few cars.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Fantastic write up -- a gentleman street race. I've had a few with the 911's and Z06 Corvettes.

Here in NY jail would result from being caught doing 170 mph. However, with a good attorney ...

I cut off an police captain in an unmarked car at 110 mph in my former benz (a C43) and was charged with the misdemeanor of reckless driving (worst case, 6 mths jail). A little lawering later I got it down to one speed, 80 in a 55. While I was in court on another case I watched the sentencing of a guy caught doing 160 mph on his motorcycle with his girlfriend on the back. He got probation -- lucky guy, the judge took pity on him, he later got into a wreck and twisted up his leg.

Regards,
Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Someone has to say it......

Jgsx, I've enjoyed your good-natured jabs at a particular member of this forum (that claims to have a Z06 and a C32) but I have to express my shock and dissapointment in your judgment on this one.

For anyone to be street racing on a public street or highway at speeds at or anywhere near 175 mph is worthy of capital punishment in my mind. How could you be so utterly careless with hundreds of innocent lives around you on the roads. Here in So. Cal., we have had far too many needless fatalities on city streets and freeways due to adolecent stupidiity on the streets. Idiots that want to prove their pecker is bigger than the other guys, so to speak, in public end up causing unmeasurable pain and grief when someone (usually a bystander) gets killed by the street racers.

It is a shame that most of the post on this thread are "atta boys". If as many people giving you the thumbs up really would do the same, I am ashamed to be C32 owner. We need to take a step back from this insanity of 175 mph on public roads and ask ourselves; "What if my wife/kids/mom/dad/friends were put in harms way by a stupid street race between a few guys with more money than brains? How would I feel then?"

Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint and, yes, I do drive too fast much of the time. I am not insane though. I want to be around to see my kids grow up and I'm sure the people you were zig-zagging around wish for the same.

I hope this is the last time I have to read about this kind of S*** on this forum.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Jgsx, I've enjoyed your good-natured jabs at a particular member of this forum (that claims to have a Z06 and a C32) but I have to express my shock and dissapointment in your judgment on this one.

For anyone to be street racing on a public street or highway at speeds at or anywhere near 175 mph is worthy of capital punishment in my mind. How could you be so utterly careless with hundreds of innocent lives around you on the roads. Here in So. Cal., we have had far too many needless fatalities on city streets and freeways due to adolecent stupidiity on the streets. Idiots that want to prove their pecker is bigger than the other guys, so to speak, in public end up causing unmeasurable pain and grief when someone (usually a bystander) gets killed by the street racers.

It is a shame that most of the post on this thread are "atta boys". If as many people giving you the thumbs up really would do the same, I am ashamed to be C32 owner. We need to take a step back from this insanity of 175 mph on public roads and ask ourselves; "What if my wife/kids/mom/dad/friends were put in harms way by a stupid street race between a few guys with more money than brains? How would I feel then?"

Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint and, yes, I do drive too fast much of the time. I am not insane though. I want to be around to see my kids grow up and I'm sure the people you were zig-zagging around wish for the same.

I hope this is the last time I have to read about this kind of S*** on this forum.
There is no question that it was nuts, and I'm never going to get anywhere near those speeds on a highway again. I know that this in no way makes it 'safe', but there were no other cars around when we got up to speed. The slow down was the when we got close to traffic again. Regardless, it still was extremely dangerous and stupid. I've never gotten past 150 on the highway, and that time was at 430am with not a car in sight.

I got pretty shook up once I realized how fast we were got up to. I slowed down after that, and I didn't want to weave through traffic. The 911 continued to go and cut off some cars, and I didn't want to keep doing that, so I backed off. That's when we split up.

I'm not justifying it or saying that it was safe in anyway, but regardless, I thought I would share the experience
Old 10-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
There is no question that it was nuts, and I'm never going to get anywhere near those speeds on a highway again. I know that this in no way makes it 'safe', but there were no other cars around when we got up to speed. The slow down was the when we got close to traffic again. Regardless, it still was extremely dangerous and stupid. I've never gotten past 150 on the highway, and that time was at 430am with not a car in sight.

I got pretty shook up once I realized how fast we were got up to. I slowed down after that, and I didn't want to weave through traffic. The 911 continued to go and cut off some cars, and I didn't want to keep doing that, so I backed off. That's when we split up.

I'm not justifying it or saying that it was safe in anyway, but regardless, I thought I would share the experience

Thanks for owning up to some of this. I'd have been even more dissapointed if you had tried to justify this to me. Still crazy, no matter what time of day or night though.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Thanks for owning up to some of this. I'd have been even more dissapointed if you had tried to justify this to me. Still crazy, no matter what time of day or night though.
Yeah I know, it was nuts. I was kinda blown away all evening, and I was kinda like, man, I can't believe I just did that. Fortunately nothing happened.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Yeah I know, it was nuts. I was kinda blown away all evening, and I was kinda like, man, I can't believe I just did that. Fortunately nothing happened.
Nice run/recount.

I ran a 996 Turbo a few months back, but couldn't really tell the outcome as he was right behind me (there was only one lane open). I couldn't shake him, though, so he was as fast or faster than me.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
997 Turbos really MOVE from what I hear.

Which means your 32 is pretty damned quick.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:39 PM

jgsx I have to say good job of owning up to what ScottW911 said to you. Many people that get criticized as you did get very defensive and try to justify their actions and call the criticizer a troll.

Street racing at high speeds just isn't worth it. A couple of weeks ago I was stopped at a light and a nissan maxima pulls up next to me. He starts revving his engine and jerking forward slightly. But I'm thinking the road I'm on is not in great condition so sorry I not going to play. The light turns green and he guns it. I take off slowly, but then notice the road in my lane appears to be ok so I decided wtf I'll catch him and pass his dumb ***. I give it gas and start reeling him in fast, but just when I'm about to catch him the road in front of me I can see is bumpy so I brake to cruise over if slowly and then we both come up on a red light.

Retard rolls down his window and says something like how's it feel to get smoked by a car half your price. I looked over and just said yeah. The intersection we were stopped at had a big dip at the opposite end and I decided I'm not going to play with this moron anymore on this road.

Needless to say when the light turned green he guns it and scraps his front bumper on the dip. I guess that didn't phase him because he keep running without appearing to slow down at all. Then all of the sudden I see his car bounce and he hits the brake pretty hard and starts to swerve and pulls over to the right. I figured he hit a pot hole and when I drove by him I saw that he did. He blew his tire out and I think bent his rim. I gave him a thumbs up, but he didn't appear to be looking at me so I don't think he saw it.

Last edited by RawAMGpower; 10-30-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm sure that the new street racing law which makes it a felony in the state of CA will make a lot of people think twice. I know it sure has for me.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
I'm sure that the new street racing law which makes it a felony in the state of CA will make a lot of people think twice. I know it sure has for me.
A felony? I can see it being a felony on the second offense or something, but that is going too far.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After all that has happened in San Diego alone I can see why it is the way it is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: raced an 07 911 turbo