Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

E500 versus new Maxima 3.5l

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
E500 versus new Maxima 3.5l

Turning from a 2-lane left turn stoplight to an access road/on ramp to I-85 South, I was in the right lane behind a white LS430. (Nice car, BTW.) The road goes from 4 lanes with 2 lanes going right to an exit, the other 2 to the left to enter I-85 South, and then 2 lanes turn to 1 as it enters the I-85 corridor.

As I took said left turn at the light, quite leisurely admiring the LS430 in front of me, a black Maxima zooms in behind us braking hard, and then doing the "look at these old guys" move. He switches to the left lane, mid-intersection, and guns it. The way he swiftly overtook both cars on the left was impressive. We were taught. We were owned. I looked down at the tachometer of the MB500 engine, running just under 1500, and was awash with embarassment. This motor was built for a reason. And there I was, just sailing along on a sunny Sunday afternoon while the Maxima red-lines past me.

Pause: I'm not confusing this engine with its forced-induction brethren. I know it's limitations, but still...this is a 3,850# car that gets to 60 in less than 6, and due to MB design efficiency, makes 300+hp with 339lb-ft of torque. It's not a *beast*, but still shows some beastly-DNA, especially with the always-ready torque.

Play: My senses quickly come to me and I think "yes, the guy in the LS430 is old, but I'm not". I push the E500 accelerator to the floor, feeling that familiar "click" as it slides home, and IT'S TIME. I shoot left past the old guy in the Lexus and think to myself "it's time to demand a little respect." (Ode to Joy is playing in my head; the refrain.) The kid in the Maxima was well ahead on the 2-lane on-ramp to the interstate. I tipped the shifter to the left 5 times so that the 5-speed would find whatever gear was suitable for this speed. The tachometer had sprung to life. And that sweet, sweet V-8 tone filled the air. But he had laid off the gas at about 75mph (thinking both old guys were gone) and POOF!

!!!!!!HI THERE!!!!!! Remember me? Old man Mercedes?!?

I'm about 10 feet off your rear bumper, Mr. Maxima! (Dealer plates.) I see his ballcap look up to the rearview. He sees me. Awesome. He floors it, as do I, in step.

My next thought after WOT is "YOU'RE IN MY WAY!". I have to let off the gas to keep from running into him. I get into the right lane and back to WOT. I realize as I'm passing him that we're both WOT and the 2 lanes shortly converge into the single lane entering the highway. I wonder who's going to get the the single lane first and I hear Dr. Z singing Ode to Joy (The chorus). The E500 has cleared him by exactly 5 Mini-Coopers. Then I look down at the speedo. Whoops! 120mph and he's right on my bumper from having let off the gas. I don't like the idea of jail, so I braked. He ricers it nicely by me, onto open interstate. But the kill was made. Carrion and entrails for me tonight. Yum.

Now I know that it's not an impressive kill but here are a couple of important notes. Alot of the "kids" these days see the tri-star while riding in their Japanese super-cars and assume "heavy slow car driven by some rich guy worried about stock prices." We all know this to be untrue. (Although there are some models that leave a lot to be desired.) The Maxima sports 265hp with comparable torque. The Maxima also weighs a driver and a passenger less than the E500.

Teach the youth. Educate them.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited by Reckdriver; 02-05-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55

Nothing like a little sedan-on-sedan action.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
ChicagoX might know about the G35 infestation around here. Not that it is a bad car, but the decent design, impressive engine with three pedals, and the very good price seems to attract a lot of young guys who want to prove to the world that their G35 is the best car in the world.

I like the car, but anytime one of those faux ricers try to even pass me, I show them what T-O-R-Q-U-E means.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
ChicagoX might know about the G35 infestation around here. Not that it is a bad car, but the decent design, impressive engine with three pedals, and the very good price seems to attract a lot of young guys who want to prove to the world that their G35 is the best car in the world.

I like the car, but anytime one of those faux ricers try to even pass me, I show them what T-O-R-Q-U-E means.
Thats all of New Jersey and NYC and Long Island for you. More common than the yellow cab I swear.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
nice kill!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 182 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Best-written kill story I read in a while.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 PM

2003 E500
Chitown, my time in this E will be fleeting. I am in search

of the right 55. The correct blend of color, options, etc. One thing for me (and yes I may be a perv for wanting this) is an E500 back (straight bumper showing no pipes), NO badging, NO indication whatsoever that the car is AwMyGawd. Not even a badge saying it's an E.

As you said, the other cars will have no idea about the large-caliber handgun.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Great write up and nice kill!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Thumbs up Nice write-up...

Originally Posted by Reckdriver
Carrion and entrails for me tonight.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Reckdriver
...As you said, the other cars will have no idea about the large-caliber handgun.

You perv.

I'm thinking of trying out some Bluetec badges.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Well written kill story!! Best I've read in a while.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:29 PM

97 e420
good write up....ya tons of g35's around here....and i love the feeling of the gas pedal click when u stomp on it...
Old 02-06-2007, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
I'm thinking of trying out some Bluetec badges.
A Bluetec is hardly a slouch for a sedan (400tq and 0-60 in 6.6)...maybe an E320 badge would make a better sleeper?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by 1985MB380SE
A Bluetec is hardly a slouch for a sedan (400tq and 0-60 in 6.6)...maybe an E320 badge would make a better sleeper?
Yeah, but there are still a lot of people that equate diesels with those slow, smokey, soot spitting cars.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:58 PM

Hello MBworld Nice kill but it was to be expected.....Just a little perspective for some of you...Not all Japanese car drivers are ricers....I own a "whiny" 350z lol..I suffer no illusions of how fast/slow my car is......Buuuut...I will have a friendly run with any car thats game regardless of if Im outgunned or not....I lose more often than I win...But I love seeing a more powerful car just effortlessly pull away from me....It just cements how powerful it is...Ive run Gallardos, F430, SLR Mclarens, AMG's, Porsches Vipers etc and have gotten royally raped everytime...I loved every minute of it .....Some of us just like to see the car perform the way it was made to as most owners just seem to get those highend cars for posing.....I always give the thumbs up and never ricer flyby...

BTW my last run just happened to be with a 02[?] C32[squarer shape]...It was surprisingly equal up to about 125 mph where he started to pull on me a little...We shut down shortly after with him ahead by a fender...Thought it would have ended the way it usually does when it comes to AMG's, with me seemingly stuck in reverse Mine is an 05 Z and I barely was able to keep pace with an older AMG....AMG =
Old 02-06-2007, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by AsianML
Yeah, but there are still a lot of people that equate diesels with those slow, smokey, soot spitting cars.
One would hope anyone who knows what "Bluetec" is would know it's a really impressive piece of engineering. Conversely, if they don't know what "Bluetec" is, they probably don't know it's a diesel...

I see your point, though...
Old 02-06-2007, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by 350Zman
Hello MBworld Nice kill but it was to be expected.....Just a little perspective for some of you...Not all Japanese car drivers are ricers....
Yeah, I'd like to think we can respect most cars and most drivers, except those that ask to be disrespected.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
BTW my last run just happened to be with a 02[?] C32[squarer shape]...It was surprisingly equal up to about 125 mph where he started to pull on me a little...
Nope, it was a C36 or C43 which are both significantly slower than a C32. I used to ride in a C32 and they are quicker in a straightline than the S4 and M3 so a 350Z is certainly not keeping up with one.

Anyway, like your atttude and welcome to MBWorld
Old 02-06-2007, 08:43 PM

01 ML55, 91 Supra Turbo, 05 Audi S4
nice kill!!!! good write up very informative,...
Old 02-06-2007, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Hello MBworld Nice kill but it was to be expected.....Just a little perspective for some of you...Not all Japanese car drivers are ricers....I own a "whiny" 350z lol..I suffer no illusions of how fast/slow my car is......Buuuut...I will have a friendly run with any car thats game regardless of if Im outgunned or not....I lose more often than I win...But I love seeing a more powerful car just effortlessly pull away from me....It just cements how powerful it is...Ive run Gallardos, F430, SLR Mclarens, AMG's, Porsches Vipers etc and have gotten royally raped everytime...I loved every minute of it .....Some of us just like to see the car perform the way it was made to as most owners just seem to get those highend cars for posing.....I always give the thumbs up and never ricer flyby...

BTW my last run just happened to be with a 02[?] C32[squarer shape]...It was surprisingly equal up to about 125 mph where he started to pull on me a little...We shut down shortly after with him ahead by a fender...Thought it would have ended the way it usually does when it comes to AMG's, with me seemingly stuck in reverse Mine is an 05 Z and I barely was able to keep pace with an older AMG....AMG =
350Z's and 99% of the 350Z drivers are annoying.. When I had my M3, 350Z drivers were probably the number 1 car that tried to race me all the time. I raced maybe 3-4 of them and have been challenged countless times. The only ones I "raced" is when the owners were cool and said "nice car can you go WOT so I can hear the sound"..
Old 02-06-2007, 09:25 PM

C32
It just cements how powerful it is...Ive run Gallardos, F430, SLR Mclarens, AMG's, Porsches Vipers etc and have gotten royally raped everytime...I loved every minute of it
You may wany to reword that statement , but welcome to MBWorld.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
good kill..

I wonder if it was the NEW maxima with the CVT or a 1 or 2 year old maxima with old paper plates that have not been removed.

either way.. torque wins in these types of races all the time.

nice to have 7sps and 339lbs of torque on tap.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline

welcome

im the same, i dont mind losing drag races, although my car is pretty fast its still not as fast as 55k cars after 2nd gear.... in the twisties its another story though, win or die

op.....
nice kill
Old 02-07-2007, 07:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Hey Reckdriver...never sell any thing MB "500" short. There is a nice flat torque curve that is always there. Also anything 0-60< 6 is way quick in my book.I would love to see that run in a rematch over at Commerce. Nice write up...I read it as if I was there.

Last edited by sprink49; 02-07-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials

good run man, no offense to you as I think the 350z is easily the best looking car design on the road today under 100k. however- each time i have run one, whether from a stand still or on a roll, the whupping has been royal. all i have for performance are green filters and the sprint booster (which i wouldn't consider a racing mod).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E500 versus new Maxima 3.5l