Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Scratch One Crossfire SRT-6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Scratch One Crossfire SRT-6

Coming off my exciting little run in with a 335i sedan the other day, I got into another little fracas but this time it was a sub-5 second American made sports car. No, not a Vette either. I was going in to work this morning--yes Saturday morning at 7:30 and I'm going to work--and I got in behind a Crossfire SRT-6 in traffic. I worked my way around him in traffic (with some lucky lane selections) and he seemed to take offense because he sort of glued himself to my bumper as we were making our way to the ramp onto the highway. When I finally get my chance to merge onto the big super slab, I see a little gap out to the open left lane. With an open left lane I figure I'll stretch my little AMG runt's legs and see if the SRT-6 wants to play along. So as soon as I get my chance I jump left going about 45 maybe, get straightened out and whack it wide open. It kicks down to probably 3rd and I'm off. The little blown 6 behind me must have been anticipating this move because he jumped right in tandem with me and was on my bumper as we got situated in the left lane. Then I slowly started to walk away from him! I was surprised--I thought he'd be glued to my bumper--because I've read the SRT-6 is pretty well matched acceleration-wise with the C55 (4.9 0-60 and a 13.3 @ 107.4 1/4 mile). But by the time I got it up to maybe 100 he was about 4 car lengths back.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Drop-a-Daimler
Coming off my exciting little run in with a 335i sedan the other day, I got into another little fracas but this time it was a sub-5 second American made sports car. No, not a Vette either. I was going in to work this morning--yes Saturday morning at 7:30 and I'm going to work--and I got in behind a Crossfire SRT-6 in traffic. I worked my way around him in traffic (with some lucky lane selections) and he seemed to take offense because he sort of glued himself to my bumper as we were making our way to the ramp onto the highway. When I finally get my chance to merge onto the big super slab, I see a little gap out to the open left lane. With an open left lane I figure I'll stretch my little AMG runt's legs and see if the SRT-6 wants to play along. So as soon as I get my chance I jump left going about 45 maybe, get straightened out and whack it wide open. It kicks down to probably 3rd and I'm off. The little blown 6 behind me must have been anticipating this move because he jumped right in tandem with me and was on my bumper as we got situated in the left lane. Then I slowly started to walk away from him! I was surprised--I thought he'd be glued to my bumper--because I've read the SRT-6 is pretty well matched acceleration-wise with the C55 (4.9 0-60 and a 13.3 @ 107.4 1/4 mile). But by the time I got it up to maybe 100 he was about 4 car lengths back.
Nice. SRT is one fugly car. Shame they gave it the great c32 motor.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:33 PM

2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Nice. SRT is one fugly car. Shame they gave it the great c32 motor.
It is one weird looking creature, especially with the big-a$$ flying wing thing out back and them huge rear fender haunches.

Last edited by Drop-a-Daimler; 12-01-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:30 PM

2005 C55
Good kill! That car is a sleeper though, nobody expects a crossfire to be that fast.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
The srt-6 are rare. The styling is over done in the rear.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 PM

... they gave it the great c32 motor.
That's one h3ll of a nice going away present that Daimler gave Chrysler! They didn't deserve it.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:44 PM

srt 6 chrysler crossfire
Ouch I'm kinda taken back by the comments, I have run with two 55s and been about even but ahead in my favor. Maybe he didn't down shift and anticipate your jump maybe he is just a lousy driver. I don't get why the car is catching so much flack when all the numbers show a stock SRT6 running faster then a stock 55s your four car lengths up to a 100 are obviously exaggerated the numbers speak for themselves. With less then 3000 built, a hand built AMG engine, and the first and last car built by Mercedes and Chrysler I like my odds of it being a collectors car over a 06 c55.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Chrysler--C...ag-Racing.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...t-6-page2.html
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...z-c55-amg.html

Last edited by SRT6; 12-01-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by SRT6
Ouch I'm kinda taken back by the comments, I have run with two 55s and been about even but ahead in my favor. Maybe he didn't down shift and anticipate your jump maybe he is just a lousy driver. I don't get why the car is catching so much flack when all the numbers show a stock SRT6 running faster then a stock 55s your four car lengths up to a 100 are obviously exaggerated the numbers speak for themselves.
Sorry man, I was not really posting to slam the SRT-6 or anything, I just got a chance to run one and I got lucky. Probably did miss a gear or something, I know they are fast--like I said--I was expecting him to be all over me. I am not a fan of their looks but I have a lot of respect for their power plants! This is an M-B board so you gotta assume you are going to see a lot of chest thumping around here. But the two links you found show the C55 testing at 4.7 sec and 13.3 @ 108 mph with the SRT-6 doing 5.1 sec and 13.5 @ 107 mph. This would indicate that the SRT-6 is a couple of ticks slower? And my 55 has some mods too, that can account for some of the edge.

Last edited by Drop-a-Daimler; 12-02-2007 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:57 PM

srt 6 chrysler crossfire
Yeah I just wanted to show how close they are the comment was intended towards the times on dragtimes.com, but posted the car and driver just to show how close they really are. I understand this is your territory and I by no means would call my car a Mercedes Benz or even an AMG it is a Chrysler with AMG parts in it. I have blasted buddies from crossfireforum for doing just that. I am on this site because I love to learn about this car and you guys seem to be heading the after market for the C32 and the slk32. There is nothing available for the crossfire so that is why I am here. I must say this is a great group of guys and I have learned a lot and everyone has been very welcoming. Its great that they are just as accepting of my input as well as anyone else's.

As for the design lol as said on top gear "It looks like a dog squatting to take a carp." Some like it some don't I have my good days and bad days lol this is my second one the first one was not the SRT model. Now that i own the SRT model with the AMG supercharged engine I don't even know why they made it without. The saddest part is I paid more for my N/A crossfire then I did for the SRT with less miles. If they would have just marketed it with the supercharged engine they probably would have sold a few more and the resale wouldn't be crap right now.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Originally Posted by SRT6
Ouch I'm kinda taken back by the comments, I have run with two 55s and been about even but ahead in my favor. Maybe he didn't down shift and anticipate your jump maybe he is just a lousy driver. I don't get why the car is catching so much flack when all the numbers show a stock SRT6 running faster then a stock 55s your four car lengths up to a 100 are obviously exaggerated the numbers speak for themselves. With less then 3000 built, a hand built AMG engine, and the first and last car built by Mercedes and Chrysler I like my odds of it being a collectors car over a 06 c55.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Chrysler--C...ag-Racing.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...t-6-page2.html
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...z-c55-amg.html
Performance aside,There are only about 1k C36 AMG in the USA. 5200 worldwide. Go figure how rare the C36 is.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
i think there were alittle over 2000 c55's built for us....so wtf
Old 12-02-2007, 08:16 PM

Charger SRT-8
Nice run. 1mph in published trap speeds means nothing but I would expect the C55 to have the edge from a roll at highway speeds. Sounds right. Both are very quick, low 13sec cars (but look at trap speeds to judge a race from a roll).

Of course, do a pulley swap and the C55 will see tailights, ala E55...
Old 12-02-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
...Of course, do a pulley swap and the C55 will see tailights, ala E55...
Dang FI is so much easier to mod for power! It ain't fair.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:49 PM

2004 S55 AMG
I wrung the ever living crap outta an SRT-6 at a SRT Track Experience. Absolutely loved it. Little short on higher end but man was it lethal at lower speeds and extremely nimble in the autocross. Never drove one before and next to driving the Viper it was the most fun I had that day...
Old 12-02-2007, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden
I wrung the ever living crap outta an SRT-6 at a SRT Track Experience. Absolutely loved it. Little short on higher end but man was it lethal at lower speeds and extremely nimble in the autocross. Never drove one before and next to driving the Viper it was the most fun I had that day...
If I could keep my knees from hitting under the steering wheel area every time I shift, I might own one of these.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 PM

2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Timeless
If I could keep my knees from hitting under the steering wheel area every time I shift, I might own one of these.
Yeah, I'm 6 foot and a deuce and it was about as easy to get in and out of the SRT6 as it was the Viper. For expediencies sake I just fell out of them, rolled, and then stood up and walked away. Funny to watch, got a little old though!
Old 12-02-2007, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
The CF STR6 is the SLK32 with different body panels minus the roof. I had an SLK32 and they were wicked little cars.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
The CF STR6 is the SLK32 with different body panels minus the roof. I had an SLK32 and they were wicked little cars.
SLK32 wasn't overstyled though. Not saying the SRT6 isn't fast, just not to my taste. Lot of bang for the buck though and will shock many an unwitting driver.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:09 PM

Looking for a new toy.
Styling is, of course, the most subjective of all automotive traits. Personally I like the Crossfire, and the SRT6 convertible in particular. It's a rare car, with decent peformance and a pretty good pedigree being basically an SLK32. I had a short encounter with one last summer and he hung pretty good off a light, and it wasn't until higher speeds that I started to really put some distance on him.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:54 AM

Charger SRT-8
SLK32 wasn't overstyled though. Not saying the SRT6 isn't fast, just not to my taste. Lot of bang for the buck though and will shock many an unwitting driver.
I remember reviews stating at $50k its way overpriced. A C6 is faster, more room and far more storage.