Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Ran a C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
damn, this is an interesting thread, i felt like i was back in physics class! lol, good read!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E55
Originally Posted by Improviz
Sure. To be honest, if it was a 0-80 run it wouldn't even have caught my eye, but from 60 up if he can drive a manual at all, driver error is less likely....from a stop, otoh, he'd have to be a pretty good driver to get that thing launched well, time the 1-2 shift w/o hitting rev limiter, etc., so the SL would have a big off the line advantage unless the guy was really good...still, even in a rolling-start race he could've hit third instead of second, etc., so as you said any number of variables could have produced such an outcome.
This is exactly what I said earlier. If this was a race from a dig, Exodus could have easily beaten him by several car lengths to low triple digits and I would have ZERO problem buying that due to a botched launch. This was a freeway roll from 60-150 where driver error should be nearly non-existent.

You guys are stating that there could have been a 1+ second delay for the Z06 to downshift, but Ex stated that he only hammered it after hearing the Z downshift into high revs, meaning this guy was ready to go.

Exodus, even a highly educated car nut could easily confuse a modified, blacked out C5 for a C6 at night during a brief encounter at high speeds. I don't think that you're lying, I just think that you made an honest mistake.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:19 AM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by Exodus
When I said engage, I meant in his proper gear. It wasn't until I took off, he followed. I saw his front lift up as I made my slight lead. With my slight wheelspin taking away most of my "jump", it was pretty much even.
I think this pretty much removes the Z06 late start theory from the equation.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hazy1
I think this pretty much removes the Z06 late start theory from the equation.
Hmm, good point....well, if it was a C6 Z06, then the only possible way this could have happened is if the guy screwed up and grabbed third instead of second, hit a rev limiter hard on the 2-3, or was running 82 octane gasoline, or had 10 psi in all of his tires, something like that...*OR* this SL600 has had its ECU flashed.

But then, how did an E55 manage to beat a Z06??? As I recall, there were videos posted in the E55 forum on here of a Z06 running an E55 (which may even have been modded, not sure on that, though), and it absolutely murdered it.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:09 PM

'03 E55
Hmm, good point....well, if it was a C6 Z06, then the only possible way this could have happened is if the guy screwed up and grabbed third instead of second, hit a rev limiter hard on the 2-3, or was running 82 octane gasoline, or had 10 psi in all of his tires, something like that...*OR* this SL600 has had its ECU flashed.
I know that GM has cylinder deactivation on some of their SUV's, etc. Maybe this C6 Z06 has it and 1/2 the engine forgot to re-engage for the run?????
Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 PM

none
Let's do a quick recap:

- It WAS a Z06. Another member on this forum was with me on that day, Flight_55. Owns the other black SL55 I was trying to toy with. Even Flight_55 saw the Z06 and I'm sure can confirm it WAS a Z06. I'm 110% positive.

- My E55 was also used, also possible it may have been tricked. I don't know. But, AGAIN, I had Flight_55 with me when I beat down the Z06 in the E55. Flight_55 went with me to the dealer when I made the purchase, and the encounter happened on the way home.

- Yea, I heard the Z06 engage in it's gear *hence* why I floored it.

- The E55 that got ripped by the Z06 must have been having problems (IC Pump a possibility) *OR* that Z06 was not stock.

From my encounters with the Z's, they-- by the common peoples crowd-- can only manage low 12s high 11s. In direct competition to the E55s/CLS55s/SL600s etc.

I said it once, and I'll say it again, the Z06 might be a better drag car but on the streets, the tide can turn very easily as proven here.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
To put things into perspective heres a real world test. Optimum conditions with two good drivers on a dragstrip, exact same day and exact same track, the Z06 is bone stock and has drag radials. The CL600 has ECU/Exhaust/Airfilters/Ice Resevoir/Drag Radials. The Z06 in this discussion currently holds the "record" for the quickest ET for a stock Z06 in the USA, the CL600 in this discussion currently hold the record as the fastest CL600 in the USA as well as the 2nd fastest Mercedes in the country w/o nitrous.

On that day the Z06 ran a 10.83 @ 130.05MPH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nt9JwrZv0g

and the CL600 went 10.99 @ 125.67MPH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3yCMPtyiC4
Old 02-27-2008, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
OK, enough talk....

.....let's settle this. A Z06 will DESTROY a car that traps 116, no ifs ands or buts about it, just as my car will DESTROY a car that traps 96. It is not even a contest, not even a race, period, full stop.

If you think your SL600 will pull Z06s when both drivers get on it at the same time, I'd like to see it on video.

Why don't we get one of the Z06 guys from your area to volunteer, shouldn't be an issue, replicate the run, and do it again?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 PM

none
E55Jay, to which I already acknowledged.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:49 PM

none
Unfortunately Improviz, there isn't much for me to prove. I posted the results of an encounter, that's all. To take time out of my day to prove my story is a bit childish, if you want to believe it-- believe it, if not, move on.

The world continues to spin.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Unfortunately Improviz, there isn't much for me to prove. I posted the results of an encounter, that's all. To take time out of my day to prove my story is a bit childish, if you want to believe it-- believe it, if not, move on.

The world continues to spin.
So do you.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:01 PM

none
So do you.
Wow, you're cool now.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:04 PM

none
I bet if I hadn't posted that video of me beating the LP640 (through the 130 mark), I would have gotten the same reaction; endless posts comparing data between the two, naysayers and the "impossible" comments.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Wow, you're cool now.
Well, what can I say? When I claimed to have pulled E39 M5s in my CLK55, the M5 guys were all over me. So I showed up at an airstrip event, did it four times against two different guys in two different cars, from a stop and from a roll, and got it on tape. Now it's out on the web for all to see.

So at least I'll back up my claims, which imo is "cooler" than saying you beat a car that traps 10 mph faster than yours in a 60-150 run with no jump.

As the vids posted by E55Jay show, stock to heavily modded the Z06 still wins and out-traps by almost 5 mph against the fastest CL600 in the country. But somehow, magically, you ran right with one from 60-150 with no jump. And oh, of course, any video showing an E55 getting reamed by a Z06 "had" to be due to mechanical probs w/the E, couldn't possibly stem from the fact that both vehicles make about the same horsepower but the Z06 weighs 1,000 pounds less.

So yeah, if you're going to make ridiculous statements and arguments like that, I think you should back it up by repeating it.

But as expected, you balked. What a surprise!
Old 02-27-2008, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by jmf003
Actually, Exodus, I find your C6 Z06 story to be completely credible. The C6 Z06 will launch faster because of its better power to weight ratio but at high speeds air resistance becomes the issue. The R230 SLs have a fairly low coefficient of drag combined with a fairly small frontal area, which makes them strong runners at high speeds.

:
What is the SL's cD?
Old 02-27-2008, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
What is the SL's cD?
It's 0.29 top up, but I couldn't find it for top down. He's saying it's 0.34 w/top down, amazing if true....but Z06 has smaller frontal area (see stuff above).
Old 02-27-2008, 02:38 PM

'03 E55
Let's do a quick recap:

- It WAS a Z06. Another member on this forum was with me on that day, Flight_55. Owns the other black SL55 I was trying to toy with. Even Flight_55 saw the Z06 and I'm sure can confirm it WAS a Z06. I'm 110% positive.

- My E55 was also used, also possible it may have been tricked. I don't know. But, AGAIN, I had Flight_55 with me when I beat down the Z06 in the E55. Flight_55 went with me to the dealer when I made the purchase, and the encounter happened on the way home.

- Yea, I heard the Z06 engage in it's gear *hence* why I floored it.

- The E55 that got ripped by the Z06 must have been having problems (IC Pump a possibility) *OR* that Z06 was not stock.

From my encounters with the Z's, they-- by the common peoples crowd-- can only manage low 12s high 11s. In direct competition to the E55s/CLS55s/SL600s etc.

I said it once, and I'll say it again, the Z06 might be a better drag car but on the streets, the tide can turn very easily as proven here.
NO ONE IS SAYING THAT IT WASN'T A Z06. There is a C5 Z06 and a C6 Z06. They look extremely similar and both have a Z06 badge on the side. The C5 has retractable headlights and the C6 does not. There are a couple of other subtle ways to distinguish between the two, but they look almost identical, especially at night. An E55 or SL600 would kill a C5 unless modified (which by the exhaust and the fact that it only lost by 1-2 car lengths, this one probably was) and would lose by several car lengths minimum to a C6, period.

Was there a blue handicapped tag hanging from the mirror? There is just not that much driver's error from 60-150. Also, you had the top down so you definitely would have heard him miss his shifts if this happened.

Would someone please find pictures of a C5 and a C6 Z06 so he can see how similar they are?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:10 PM

none
Originally Posted by Hazy1
NO ONE IS SAYING THAT IT WASN'T A Z06. There is a C5 Z06 and a C6 Z06. They look extremely similar and both have a Z06 badge on the side. The C5 has retractable headlights and the C6 does not. There are a couple of other subtle ways to distinguish between the two, but they look almost identical, especially at night. An E55 or SL600 would kill a C5 unless modified (which by the exhaust and the fact that it only lost by 1-2 car lengths, this one probably was) and would lose by several car lengths minimum to a C6, period.

Was there a blue handicapped tag hanging from the mirror? There is just not that much driver's error from 60-150. Also, you had the top down so you definitely would have heard him miss his shifts if this happened.

Would someone please find pictures of a C5 and a C6 Z06 so he can see how similar they are?
Yeah, an easy way to tell if it's a C5 Z06 or a C6 Z06 is by the bottom fender, next to both the passenger side door and the driver. The C5 Z06 has a mesh, and the C6 Z06 is just bulky. Also, the C6 Z06 has a front ram air system, clearly visible-- the C5 Z06 does not. The hood bulges up on the C6 Z06 but not on the C5.

This is getting rather ridiculous.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:13 PM

none
Well, what can I say? When I claimed to have pulled E39 M5s in my CLK55, the M5 guys were all over me. So I showed up at an airstrip event, did it four times against two different guys in two different cars, from a stop and from a roll, and got it on tape. Now it's out on the web for all to see.

So at least I'll back up my claims, which imo is "cooler" than saying you beat a car that traps 10 mph faster than yours in a 60-150 run with no jump.

As the vids posted by E55Jay show, stock to heavily modded the Z06 still wins and out-traps by almost 5 mph against the fastest CL600 in the country. But somehow, magically, you ran right with one from 60-150 with no jump. And oh, of course, any video showing an E55 getting reamed by a Z06 "had" to be due to mechanical probs w/the E, couldn't possibly stem from the fact that both vehicles make about the same horsepower but the Z06 weighs 1,000 pounds less.

So yeah, if you're going to make ridiculous statements and arguments like that, I think you should back it up by repeating it.

Brilliant. So what now?

No one can post run-ins over here unless:

A) They play out as they should according to magazines and world records, or

B) Unless they plan to be a macho man and back it up

?

Then I guess I'm just not "cool".
Old 02-27-2008, 03:15 PM

'03 E55
Enjoy your kill. I'm done.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Brilliant. So what now?

No one can post run-ins over here unless:

A) They play out as they should according to magazines and world records, or

B) Unless they plan to be a macho man and back it up

?

Then I guess I'm just not "cool".
No, quite the contrary; obviously, no "kill" story should ever be questioned, no matter how much it strains credulity...if someone posts that they smoked a Bugatti in a Mack truck, or if someone claims to have gotten a faster time around Nurburgring in a bread truck than Michael Schumacher in a Porsche CGT, then we should all fall in line like good little sheep and accept anyone at their word.

Oh, and on top of this, any and all evidence, including videos, scientifically conducted tests, time slips, etc. contradicting said "kill" stories should also be ignored, because reasonable people can all agree that any so-called "evidence" is bunk, bogus, and has no credibility, while any writings of the person making the claims are above and beyond reproach.

?

Last edited by Improviz; 02-27-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance

^^^youve been around for a while on MBWorld, I have always liked your posts and enthusiasm for data and backing it up on the steet/strip etc., stand up guy in my book

Back to the OP Exodus, so now you had an E55 that may have been "modded" as well without your knowledge and an SL600 that may have been modded without your knowledge and youre expected to be credible. Let me guess, you never took that superfast E55 to the dragstrip either

Last edited by JAYCL600; 02-27-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55JAY
^^^youve been around for a while on MBWorld, I have always liked your posts and enthusiasm for data and backing it up on the steet/strip etc., stand up guy in my book
Thanks! I calls 'em likes I sees 'em!

Originally Posted by E55JAY
Back to the OP Exodus, so now you had an E55 that may have been "modded" as well without your knowledge and an SL600 that may have been modded without your knowledge and youre expected to be credible. Let me guess, you never took that superfast E55 to the dragstrip either
Hmm, let me guess, the E55 was a Stage 5 Renntech, and he smoked that big bad Z06....just like this guy did in his Stage 5 Renntech, in two races, one from 30 mph, and one from 40!!
Link to video:
Link to thread:

Brutal...man, that modded E55 just mopped the floor up w/that Z06!

OK, I believe him now! [/sarcasm]

Last edited by Improviz; 02-29-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:58 AM

C32
Thanks! I calls 'em likes I sees 'em!
Our resident lawyer is back!

You've been awfully quiet since M&M and thericker have been absent.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by ultraseven
Our resident lawyer is back!

You've been awfully quiet since M&M and thericker have been absent.
Almost left for good after being censored, in a manner more suited to M5 board than to here I might add, by Brad O for basically defending myself against personal attacks from another poster and attempting to (gasp) discuss it with him (which was about as fruitful as discussing Mercedes w/Gustav on the M5board, kind of a "my way or the highway" type of thing, so much for freedom of speech or expression...) once he censored my rebuttals to the other guy (and his posts too)...but anyway, didn't quite leave...more of a lurk w/occasional posting.

So yeah, I lost a great deal of my enthusiasm as a result of that...decided that I've got better things to do for the most part, but will still be adding my $0.02 from time to time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ran a C6 Z06