Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

I thought everybody should read this!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Angry I thought everybody should read this!

For those who like to race on occupied roads...
Listen up...

Tonight was one of the most shocking nights I have ever had. Some of you may know I'm a volunteer firefighter. I don't get to ride in the cool fire-truck, I'm stuck driving a 99 F-250 "Emergency Response Team" truck (carries the other diver and I and all of the medical/diving/fire/EMS equipment). Anyway we were on our way back from a small kitchen fire when we got behind a semi ricey Eclipse GS-X a pretty ricey Accord V6 and a Camaro RS (this is on a 4 lane road). Now the ****ers had been racing each other light to light and swerving past all slower traffic. So once we got behind them we were going to radio in their plates but before we could the light turned green and off they went.

About maybe a quarter mile ahead was a mini-van (Dodge I beleive) that had turned the way they were going. The Accord in the far right lane was being blocked by the mini van so decided to cut off on the shoulder and attempt to pass the van. Well the rumble strip sort of pulled the car further to the right more the he expected I guess and he cut back left throwing himself infront of the mini-van and Camaro. The 3 racers had to be doing about 80 by now, but the Accord went sideways into the van and then continued on into the Camaro and then into the cement median doing 83 (what the spedo was stuck at we later found). The van ended up rolling because it tried to cut and miss the accord as it hit it.

When we got up to the scene I almost lost my dinner. I've seen gun shot victims, scraped people off railraod tracks, you name it I've probably seen it but this I just couldn't handle. I ran to the Accord first to see what was there. The driver went through the windshield and into the cement median, what was left of his skull was now somewhere compounded into his shoulders and the median. The passanger was a very beautiful girl about my age (19) whos arm was compound fractured beyond physical recognition, and ears were bleeding like crazy. No seat belt either. (Airbags were both removed because of the momo wheel and "engine management consol" on the passanger side) She had some apparent head injury from the windsheild and was either uncounsious or dead. Nothing I could really do in that car at the time.

I ran over to the Camaro to see what was up there. The guy maye 25 or so was ok. Had his seat belt on and everything. I jsut screamed at him to stay in the car until te cops came.

Off in the distance the ****ing Eclipse didn't even stop to see what happened. He fled a fast as his car could go.

Just as I noticed the eclipse, my partner who radio'ed for help and then ran over to van screamed "Chris get the **** over here". This is where I almost lost it. The van on its side held a mother and 2 children, none which were responsive. I crawled into the middle window where I thought the yougest child was. She had to be maybe 4 at the oldest. No seat belt. Was thrown into the window when it rolled then into the pavement I would have imagined. Her head had a rather obvious dent in it BUT she was breathing. I pulled her through the window.

In the passanger seat was a younger boy maybe 10 whos arm was crushed under the tipped over van. It later had to be amputated but he will live do the the 7 minutes of CPR that we did.

The mother was the only one with her seat belt on, the airbag broke her nose and somehow knocker her out. But she is fine. Was concious by the time we got her son breathing again.

The ****er in the Camaro got cuffed and taken away. The girl in the Accord was airlifted away. The young girl in the van later died tonight/this morning from massive head trauma. The driver of the accord obviously died of the same. The boy in the van will live as well, just one arm short.

Sorry about the bad grammer, I'm still in shock. I doubt I'll get much sleep tonight.

But for you *******s that like to pull this **** on occupied roads please PLEASE PLEASE take it to the track. Save your life and someone elses. I'm done ranting now. For those that read this, thanks.

-------------
'02 SE-R Spec V
"why would you have a ferrari AND a wife?" - Innocence
"but 0-60 in 3.9 and enough torque to skull#$&* you in 3rd kind of makes me forget about all that." - SliP24
Old 11-29-2002, 12:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow.

At first I read and became pissed at the Accord driver, but then it shifted to the mother who didn't fasten her children's seatbelts. I'm speechless.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 s500 sport
OMG
This was really shocking to read. I suggest to make this thread a sticky in the KILL stories to warn others.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
OMG

Go ahead!
Old 12-01-2002, 07:09 PM

CLK 430
Jesus christ....I will never speed again in traffic...that is terrible
Old 12-01-2002, 07:53 PM

absolutely ridiculous. those rice racers are always pulling stuff like that here in orlando. just curious, what part of FL did this occur in?
Old 12-01-2002, 08:12 PM
taylor192

That racer could've been a deer, and the woman and two kids would end up with the same result.

Yes the racer is to blame, but so is the mother for not buckling her kids.

Think about what happened here next time you are a "left lane hog" and won't move for the person going faster behind you. They could just as easily try and pass you on the inside and cause a huge accident... and yes they may be to blame for speeding, but you will be equally to blame for impeding traffic.

Stuff like this should make you think, but it'd be nice if everyone looked at the real problems, not the most obvious.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:05 AM

CLK430
Unhappy

That' s real sad, just shows how lucky we are for all the times we have pulled stunts like this and nothing happeninng for the worst.

May they Rest in Peace
Old 12-03-2002, 02:44 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by taylor192

Think about what happened here next time you are a "left lane hog" and won't move for the person going faster behind you. They could just as easily try and pass you on the inside and cause a huge accident... and yes they may be to blame for speeding, but you will be equally to blame for impeding traffic.

Stuff like this should make you think, but it'd be nice if everyone looked at the real problems, not the most obvious.
I just wrote about 30 minutes worth of response based on my initial reaction to this statement but decided against posting it. Bottom line, considering the original post that the author is responding to, this is the most tasteless thing I have read in quite a long time. If you do not understand why, you've got bigger issues.

Save racing for the track.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:00 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by UNC Nick
I just wrote about 30 minutes worth of response based on my initial reaction to this statement but decided against posting it. Bottom line, considering the original post that the author is responding to, this is the most tasteless thing I have read in quite a long time. If you do not understand why, you've got bigger issues.

Save racing for the track.
Read the other thread on this same story and read my response there, maybe that'll get a 60 min response from you.

What I wrote is tasteless, but its reality, I see it everyday. Someone not paying attention in the left lane and another car comes flying up from behind and they don't move over only for the faster car to overtake using the inside lane. This move is dangerous and may lead to a multicar wreck, all because someone wasn't looking in their rear view to see a fast car approaching, which BTW can be classified as careless driving, which carries a huge fine and license suspension.

I totally understand why you are bothered wih my response, you're another person thinking with their heart and not their head. Maybe if the mother had the kids buckled she'd been paying attention to the road and saw the Accord approaching fast behind her, and if she follows the law, she'd pull over to the side of the road and let the faster car pass (impeding traffic can be enforced on single lane roads, you are expected to pull onto the shoulder and stop to let faster traffic by, at least that's the law here, not many people actually know that).

All I wanted to do was make people think with their heads and not their hearts, like the others in that thread that say "take the mother to jail" cause it is ultimately her fault the kids were not buckled, and if it wasn't a "boy racer", then maybe next time it'd be a animal (lots of deer and moose here) but the result would be the same just no "boy racer" to blame.

The truth is sometimes tasteless.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Taylor- I appreciate your opinions and agree with you to some extent. As a matter of fact, a lot of what I initially wrote stated this- though I really can't prove it since I didn't post the entire response. I did read your first line, and I understand where you are coming from. My opinion, though, is that this was the wrong thread to post opinions/thoughts/facts on "left lane hogs."
Old 12-03-2002, 02:03 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by UNC Nick
Taylor- I appreciate your opinions and agree with you to some extent. As a matter of fact, a lot of what I initially wrote stated this- though I really can't prove it since I didn't post the entire response. I did read your first line, and I understand where you are coming from. My opinion, though, is that this was the wrong thread to post opinions/thoughts/facts on "left lane hogs."
Sorry for the lack of "tack" and but "left lane hog" is the wrong opinion to post, but the one most would understand. There is never a bad time to criticize bad drivers, that is exactly my point, everyone will read this and feel so sorry for the mother and kids, but realistically she is partially to blame and all should be made aware of that.

On single lane roads, or even the right lanes of multi-lane roads, most don't understand the "impeding traffic" law and use it as an excuse not to watch their rear view mirror. Had she been watching and been eductaed on the impeding traffic law, she might've moved to the shoulder and avoided the situation.

My posts by no means justify racing, make it clear, I don't think it should be allowed, but am realistic to know it occurs and all drivers have to be prepared for the worst.

Lets change the story, the Accord driver is now a grandpa who had a heart attack, smashed the gas pedal and is now heading straight towards to back of the minivan... if you were driving you'll be glad you've been paying attention to your rear view mirror and are not so stubborn about the posted speed limit that you'll move to avoid the fast approaching car.

My $0.02, I know its harsh, everyone is welcome to disagree, but really consider the above situation before you respond, I'd like to hear what you'd think about the situation under a new light.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:37 PM
ktm

This is relevant here in the Mercedes forum as some of these guys race in this manner, especially those who have mods. I also run for a local fire department and see these incidents all the time. I have seen similar incidents to those described above and others where some of the guilty parties were able to flee the scene. More often than not, these cars are "mod-heavy". Many are on the ground, speedos on the A pillar, giant tailpipes, all white lights and many (state dependant) illegal pieces of equipment. While the Honda is the predominant victim, you need only to check out the various boards here that have turned into "mod central" for these cars.

You see some of the same "gang lingo" here between a lot of people with the very heavy mods that I hear on the street from these guys. They will say to the police that they didn't do anything wrong and they are being targeted, but in the back of the ambulance with no cops around, it's a different story. Most could care less.

I'm not saying everybody with mods is bad...but many of these guys keep elevating it and eventually it leads to racing, even impromptu stuff at lights and I constantly see "mod cars" weaving in and out of traffic and reckless driving. It's sad.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is an important thread. I am 42 years old and many years ago, in the way back machine Z28/Trans Am days, did much of the same stupid street racing, but never in and out of traffic.

It is very disturbing that the Honda owner removed the air bags in search of cosmetic / way cool tech and forever injured his friend.

I posted this thread on the w209 board and over one hundred folks have hit it.

One must learn from one's mistakes, this is the purpose here.

Regards,
Old 12-09-2002, 04:05 AM

sad, but this **** happens cause people are so careless...

Last edited by Caliz_Finest; 12-09-2002 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:00 PM

nice kill story.. But this one is a little too violent.. i'll definity think twice before I start racing on the freeway.. But then Everyone is gonna start posting kill stories like 230k beating out a 330ci ... while all the while the 330ci isn't racing.. But i guess life is more important then looking at retarded kill stories.. Glad this forum dont' have much of it.. like they DID at benzsport.. Glad that ordeal was over
Old 12-09-2002, 02:43 PM
ktm

Sorry Taiwanboy...maybe we can post one that isn't so violent next time. Better yet, why not write some fiction here for you that is nice and happy, like "the 330ci blasting past all the cars and no one ever getting hurt" so the owner can rush home and brag on the internet about it.

Reality is significantly more violent than what gets written here.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:32 PM

HMm Most of the time when people race It doesn't get into accidents like that.. Its careless driving on freeways, that these tragic incidents occur.. And which ones seems more of a fiction.. The 330ci blasting some cars and no one gets hurt maybe except for some Egos or some kill story that everyone dies.. I personally hear more about the 330ci blasting people and no one ended up getting hurt, then hearing about how everyone get slaughter in some freak accident.. its really more of a said story.. Never the less that story must be posted for those people that race in unsafe conditions
Old 12-16-2002, 10:37 AM

wow, I've been watching this board for over a year now, and had to register just to post this.

Taylor, this post is irrelevant to the situation that happened here. The only thing that I see is the woman's fault is not putting on her children's seatbelt.

About left lanes, yes, left lanes are for passing, right for driving. She is at the RIGHTMOST lane. Let's forget the speed limit here and talk about lanes. Clearly the Accord wants to pass, and where do we pass?? LEFT LANE! Pass Left, Drive Right. Where did he pass, right lane. Who's at fault with the lanes?

Here is the quote:
"Accord in the far right lane was being blocked by the mini van so decided to cut off on the shoulder and attempt to pass the van."

So the mini van is at the right most lane. What you are saying is the minivan was the one that should move to the shoulder. Wrong, in that case, that would be called... Accord running the mini van off the road. Still Accord's fault.

Your quote:
"What I wrote is tasteless, but its reality, I see it everyday. Someone not paying attention in the left lane and another car comes flying up from behind and they don't move over only for the faster car to overtake using the inside lane. This move is dangerous and may lead to a multicar wreck, all because someone wasn't looking in their rear view to see a fast car approaching, which BTW can be classified as careless driving, which carries a huge fine and license suspension"

Correct. If she was in the left lane. She was in the rightmost lane and Accord decides to cut off on right shoulder.

As stated in orginial post:
"Well the rumble strip sort of pulled the car further to the right more the he expected I guess and he cut back left throwing himself infront of the mini-van and Camaro."

Edit: Not neccesarily for the post above, but a note.
Quote from original.
"Anyway we were on our way back from a small kitchen fire when we got behind a semi ricey Eclipse GS-X a pretty ricey Accord V6 and a Camaro RS (this is on a 4 lane road). "

4 Lane Road. 4 cars, Eclipse, Accord, Camaro, Minivan. Two are on the rightmost, leaving one empty lane. And still Accord decides to pass on right?

Last edited by MrMan; 12-16-2002 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I'm pretty sure we all learned an important lesson from this story, yes there is a lot of people to blame, but it is a little too late for that. Wear your seatbelts and don't do stupid Fast and the Furious stunts, shoulders are not ment to be driven into.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:53 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by MrMan
Taylor, this post is irrelevant to the situation that happened here. The only thing that I see is the woman's fault is not putting on her children's seatbelt.

So the mini van is at the right most lane. What you are saying is the minivan was the one that should move to the shoulder. Wrong, in that case, that would be called... Accord running the mini van off the road. Still Accord's fault.
I respect what you wrote, but I am not going through the trouble to post the details on the law, it'll take me too long to look up, but I just emailed my police officer friend and simply the "impeding traffic" law does not state "left", "right", or anything else regarding which lane it can be applied in.

Therefore there could be a MILLION lanes, and if I'm approaching fast behind you, its your responsibility to move outta the way, EVEN if it means driving onto the shoulder. Its not a law that is enforced very often, but it is something they do teach you in defensive driving school (or at least the one I took): If a car is approaching fast behind you, you can NOT assume that it will stop in time as to not hit your vehicle, you must prepare yourself to avoid the situation, even if it means going onto the shoulder.

I have already stated that the Accord driver was an idiot, and passing as he did using the shoulder is also illegal. I am NOT defending the actions of the Accord driver.

You may not like my assessment of the situation, but LEGALLY I am correct.

BTW you did not read my example. This whole story would have a different tone if the Accord driver was a senior who had a heart attack, hit the gas pedal hard, and drove straight into the minivan.

Just for you I'll give you another example which I have actually seen, but it is by far not the car driver's fault, but the end result is the same, the car driver dead: Car parked at an intersection at the bottom of a hill, an icy day and a transport trailer coming down the hill, unable to stop in time without hitting the stopped car, and subsequently, the car being crushed by the transport. Now if the car driver was paying attention, the driver may have been able to perform an emergency manuver to avoid the transport, even though legally the car is entitled to stay parked at the intersection and it is the transport's fault for not stopping in time.

I'd rather be ALIVE than not at FAULT.

For anyone that still does not understand what I am trying to say, please enroll in a defensive driving class and see for yourself.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Originally posted by taylor192
another car comes flying up from behind and they don't move over only for the faster car to overtake using the inside lane.
So let me get this straight...

I am in the left lane doing 80mph on I-95 and I am supposed to find a way around traffic, and move into another lane, because some f**k is flyin up my a** doing 110mph?

I don't think so... They can find their way around since they obviously know how to drive so well.

I could see your point if I was impeding traffic and going 50mph in the left land, but 80mph? Please...

I see this crap all of the time, and to top it off I am taunted by some schlep in a Saturn who thinks he is in a Formula 1...
Old 12-16-2002, 05:32 PM

First, the woman just turned onto the lane. Just say she was doing... 40. The shoulder was described as a "rumble strip"... so obviously its not a smooth one. So what if she took the shoulder, lost control like the Accord did, and does the same thing the Accord does to another innocent driver? Now what?

Second, she wasn't impeding traffic if there are four lanes and the Accord decides to pull off a stunt rather than move over to the empty lane. The racers were doing about 80 mph? How should she not impede traffic, go 80 along with them?

Earlier you were complaining about left lane hoggers. People driving slow on the left lane. And now you're saying that people driving normal on the right lane must still give way to people speeding on the right lane?
Now who's really hogging the road?

"Therefore there could be a MILLION lanes, and if I'm approaching fast behind you, its your responsibility to move outta the way, EVEN if it means driving onto the shoulder. "

So just say I was in the right most lane and you're speeding behind me... isn't it your responsibility to not speed, not tailgate, not run people off the road, pass left and stay on the fast lane? If you and I go to court (in other words.. the law), will you be using that same excuse, that it is my fault I didn't move to the shoulder?
Old 12-16-2002, 05:43 PM

SL 500
Originally posted by SL55AMG
So let me get this straight...

I am in the left lane doing 80mph on I-95 and I am supposed to find a way around traffic, and move into another lane, because some f**k is flyin up my a** doing 110mph?

I don't think so... They can find their way around since they obviously know how to drive so well.

I could see your point if I was impeding traffic and going 50mph in the left land, but 80mph? Please...

I see this crap all of the time, and to top it off I am taunted by some schlep in a Saturn who thinks he is in a Formula 1...
well said sl55amg..i feel exactly the way you do.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:35 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by MrMan
Second, she wasn't impeding traffic if there are four lanes and the Accord decides to pull off a stunt rather than move over to the empty lane. The racers were doing about 80 mph? How should she not impede traffic, go 80 along with them?
I made it to traffic school and aksed the same question, you know the answer the officer gave? "pull over onto the shoulder and let them pass." Its one of those catch 22s, you're wrong either way you go, its actually one of the tricks officers use to get people to speed to give them a ticket... tailgate them until they feel they need to speed up and then ticket them.
Originally posted by MrMan So just say I was in the right most lane and you're speeding behind me... isn't it your responsibility to not speed, not tailgate, not run people off the road, pass left and stay on the fast lane? If you and I go to court (in other words.. the law), will you be using that same excuse, that it is my fault I didn't move to the shoulder?
I didn't write the law, I'm just interpretting it for you.

What good is bringing it to court if I rear-end you and send you into a wild wreck and you don't live long enough to make it to court? think about it... people will speed, they will tailgate, the best we can do is try and avoid a bad situation by paying attention to the road.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I thought everybody should read this!