Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

slk32 vs 6.0 GTO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by StormSigma
So hey, maybe I WILL sell my GTO. At this point, I could sell it, buy the car YOU have, and still have mod money left. That's a sweet plan. Let me go buy a super depreciated old AMG, and then I'll be cool like you guys, and then when other people come in here, I'll talk down to them because I'm one of the cool AMG elite, despite the fact my cool super awesome AMG car cost less than a new Civic.

That will be cool.
Time for a break....when not pen some words on your blog. Perhaps advise what mood you're in or how if that SLOW lane driver looks at you funny, you'll brake check them 6 more times...
Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
....perhaps troll ebay for a GI JOE with bipolar disorder.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by TAGURIT
Yes, I obviously made a gramatical error or in my case more of a typo. You obviously must have misspelled PEJORATIVE. Wow, you point out the speck in my eye but ignore the plank in your own!

When a rich person flaunts their wealth I do look at it in a PEJORATIVE way!
Well, you got me on the spelling, but "to" in place of "too" is grammatical, and of course you were still far TOO clueless to understand the irony.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Wow, maybe that's it: he collects barbie dolls and sells them to make the payments on his used GTO!

Here is a pic of him from flikr, doing what he does best:

Hey...is that a Breitling??

Last edited by Improviz; 08-21-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
And I predict that you're actually not as well off as you have tried really super duper hard (along with Improv) to appear. After all, this is the internet. ANYone can talk big about how much paycheck they swing.

But when they drive really cheap old cars that used to be expensive, you'll forgive me for laughing. It's even more amusing when the best excuse you have is "Well...well maybe we LIKE the car! DUH!"
Which, again, shows how clueless you are. Because both Chappy and I have been here, participating in the forum, and in get togethers, since we bought our cars NEW (unlike you), several years ago. Also, I have sitting in my garage a nice, new ML320 CDI, which cost roughly triple what you spent on your el cheapo used $18K GTO 2.5 years ago. Want pics? Both are easily verified, bang, your little fantasy is toast.

Conversely, your posting history shows that you've never owned anything but other people's CHEAP hand-me downs, and couldn't even afford to fuel up your RUSTANG.

I maintain my earlier comment. You two are the guys that probably make forty or fifty grand a year, and were able to swing the payment on a heavily depreciated old car, that WAS expensive when new, but you guys got 'em used. And then you're those two guys we all have at work who are like "Didja see my new BENZ? That's right, I drive a BENZ! It's AMG! That stands for "Awesome!"
OK, so let's make this interesting. How about this: We can set up a third party fund, into which we will each deposit $20,000 cash, via an independent escrow firm. I can have my attorney draw up a legally binding contract, which will stipulate the following: We will hire an accountant, and here's the deal: I will provide this accountant, on a strictly confidential basis, with proof of my income.

If it is $50,000 or less, as you're maintaining, you keep my $20,000.

If it is more than $50,000 (and I can assure you, it is), I keep yours.

Loser also pays for the accountant.

Want to put some money where your trolling mouth is?

Last edited by Improviz; 08-21-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
As well, I couldn't possibly still have the GTO over a Corvette or somesuch because I LIKE THE CAR, no that couldn't be a possibility at all.
Sure, and you're soooooo well off that, well, you bought it used when plenty of new ones were available for well under sticker, and didn't pay cash but instead made payments....right?

Hmm, what was it you wrote back in '06 when contemplating the purchase?
Originally Posted by StormSmegma, ca 2006
But can I get a lightly used Evo or STi for a hair over eighteen grand? What's that? No? Bummer.
Guys, here's the deal. This is the absolute cheapest GTO I can find, I'm getting it for wholesale
Wow, looks like someone who's bagging on Chappy and I, both of whom bought brand spankin' new CLK55s, about our financial status, was furiously scouring the web for a cheap USED example (on Ebay, no less), could barely afford a USED GTO, and forget about a new one!

Last edited by Improviz; 08-21-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
More evidence of the high financial status of our friend:

In '06 when contemplating the purchase of a new (oops, USED) car, he wrote about his 2002 Mini Cooper:
Originally Posted by StormSmegma, ca. 2006
I just want to get out of the Cooper while I can still sell it for nearly what I owe on it.
Uh-oh, looks like the guy accusing Chappy and I of being too poor to afford a new CLK55 was, well, too poor to afford a four year old Mini Cooper!

And later, talking about his new (oops, make that USED) GTO purchase, he wrote:

Originally Posted by StormSmegma, ca. 2006
This is absolutely THE best deal I've ever made. It effectively cancels out how much I was upside down on the Cooper, every last cent. ****, MORE than cancels.
Upside-down...on a USED Mini Cooper, a 2002 USED Mini Cooper, that he owned in 2006.

Oh, yeah, I really envy you, pal....maybe that's where the flipping burgers comment came from, sounds like that's exactly what you do!

Yeah, I could learn a lot about finance from you...like how NOT to live beyond my means, for example, and get upside down in a USED, FOUR YEAR OLD COOPER!!

Last edited by Improviz; 08-21-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:39 PM

Charger SRT-8
The GTO did sell quite poorly. With a "limited" production run, there were still cars sitting on dealer lots a year later. While it certainly had limitiations (like a trunk 1/2 the size you would think it as), if it were called anything but a past classic model, it may have sold well.

The styling isn't ugly, and if you were to assemble a group of artists, the vast majority would say it has better styling lines than the SLK32.

There is a lot to be said about any car that has the best "bang for the buck" in it's price segment. Or the most hp per dollar.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:01 AM
Almost a Member!

E55 or CL600, if I could make up my mind
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
The GTO did sell quite poorly. With a "limited" production run, there were still cars sitting on dealer lots a year later. While it certainly had limitiations (like a trunk 1/2 the size you would think it as), if it were called anything but a past classic model, it may have sold well.

The styling isn't ugly, and if you were to assemble a group of artists, the vast majority would say it has better styling lines than the SLK32.

There is a lot to be said about any car that has the best "bang for the buck" in it's price segment. Or the most hp per dollar.
The LS1 and LS2 are great engine with lots of tuning potential and aftermarket support. Too bad the styling was kinda blah, especially with the uglified Pontiac front. I like the Holden front a lot better, even though it still doesn't say "exciting styling".

My local dealer had a '06 with 15k miles I could have gotten for 20k, and it was pretty tempting I must say. 2 year old 400 hp V8 coupe with low miles and factory warranty, pretty good value IMHO.
I would have had to change the front bumper, though. Not sure if JHP still ships to the US, but I liked some of their kits.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:31 AM

2004 Pontiac GTO
Just checking in to see how things are going! You know, after reading through this and participating, I would say this will never be resolved amicably. The MBZ folks will tout their vehicles, as will we. At this point, it would be best to just agree to disagree. There really is no need to call peoples fortitude, fianacial or otherwise, into question. I apologize to Improviz for the wife comment, I don't know her and I am sure she is a delightful woman. You guys have some nice cars, as do we. I can appreciate both for what they are. I don't want our ownership to be represented as lowlifes or scum, we are die hard enthusiasts who love a car that most people know nothing about.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I agree, acting like things I said almost three years ago are interesting and relevant! I make nearly double now what I made at the time.
Sure, you're rolling in dough, which is why you wrote this on the GTO forum about two months ago:
Originally Posted by StormSmegma
Yes, I am. How else can it be done? There are a vast number of cars out there that are better than the GTO. I currently have a GTO because I can't afford some of those cars...yet.
Uh-huh...positively flush with cash, which is why you started this thread over there, looking for a "good, cheap shotgun"....right?

And why you wrote, regarding gas prices, two months ago, that:
I agree. Right now, I average about $280 a month with work and pleasure/outing driving. Should it get much more than $350, I'm going to be carpooling with the wife from then on.
Oh, and then there's this admission, interesting coming from someone who can supposedly buy my car in cash:
I basically started selling off stuff from my other hobbies to be able to drop more money into the car. Probably not the smartest thing in the world, but oh well.
Oh, and then there's this gem: after bragging on the other forum a few years back about lowballing the dealer on your GTO, *and* admitting that you were upside down on your Mini Cooper at that time, look at you lambasting this poor guy:
No, you're just hating on people attempting to ask a price more in line with what you're getting when you buy a GTO.

People like you always amuse me (and countless others here) because you'll be the one who lowballs on a GTO, gets it, and within six months is upside down on the loan because book value has tanked even further because everyone else just like you lowballing people for peanuts on what was a $34,000 car new.

Good luck with that, *******.
Yeah, there's consistency...sort of like this one. A guy said that SRT-8s are ugly, and you responded with this:
Which is really comical when you think about how no one wanted a GTO, which is why they sat on lots for years after the run was through.
Ah, I see: so if *we* point out that the cars bombed and sat on lots, we're being arrogant, rich snobs, while of course if YOU do it, it's fine and dandy.

And then there's just blatant contradiction like this dandy:
As well, I couldn't possibly still have the GTO over a Corvette or somesuch because I LIKE THE CAR, no that couldn't be a possibility at all.
Um, well, no, not according to what you, yourself wrote here on the GTO forum about two months ago:
Yes, I am. How else can it be done? There are a vast number of cars out there that are better than the GTO. I currently have a GTO because I can't afford some of those cars...yet.
But back to finance....

And oh, what's this crap about your making payments "at that time" (in Feb '06), implying that you currently are not? You were as of last month, by your own admission! First, your exchange with Chappy:
Originally Posted by Chappy
I have a difficult time with your claim to be in a position to purchase a CLK55 ('01 or '02) for cash when you're still making payments on your GTO.

At the time, I was making payments.
Funny, and deliberately misleading and deceptive, as you stated quite explicitly in this post, FROM LAST MONTH, on the GTO forum that you are STILL making them:
I have to say that after I pay the GTO off, if the SRT-8 Challenger doesn't come with a stick by then, I may have to bring home one of the Hemi R/T versions in manual. Having two kick-*** cars with a nameplate full'o heritage would be sweet.
Uh huh, and you could pay for my car in cash? You haven't even paid for your own!

You wanna talk pathetic? Your little web of lies and hypocrisy is what's pathetic. Wannabe's, gotta love 'em.

Last edited by Improviz; 08-21-2008 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 AM

2006 Pontiac GTO
I see you will turn 18 next year. Congrats.
I am 18...
Old 08-21-2008, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by mooninitesunite
I am 18...
My bad - congrats!
Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Spyral
You guys have some nice cars, as do we. I can appreciate both for what they are. I don't want our ownership to be represented as lowlifes or scum, we are die hard enthusiasts who love a car that most people know nothing about.
Agree 100%.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Actually, Improviz, anyone who knows me can tell you, I can easily walk into a Chevy dealer and buy a C6 Z06, brand new, with cash. Not an issue. I like the GTO for reasons beyond what it cost. Unfortunately, you are hung up on cost. Too bad, there is a lot more to life than what you have in the bank.
Just a friendly word to the wise....

Don't post/save screenshots of your BOA financial statement on a public picture forum (for the world to see). Kinda shoots holes in the above claim.

I'm not going to link it for your own security. I'd remove it asap.

Peace.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
That's a kill. Now please lock this thread.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 AM

Charger SRT-8
Improviz,

You've got a tremendous amount of spare time on your hands.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 AM

2004 Pontiac GTO
Just a friendly word to the wise....

Don't post/save screenshots of your BOA financial statement on a public picture forum (for the world to see). Kinda shoots holes in the above claim.

I'm not going to link it for your own security. I'd remove it asap.

Peace.

That picture is a photoshop joke from the GTO forum, but thanks for the advice!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 AM

Pontiac GTO
The Nancy Drew of internet detectives is on this board.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Just checking in to see how things are going! You know, after reading through this and participating, I would say this will never be resolved amicably. The MBZ folks will tout their vehicles, as will we. At this point, it would be best to just agree to disagree. There really is no need to call peoples fortitude, fianacial or otherwise, into question. I apologize to Improviz for the wife comment, I don't know her and I am sure she is a delightful woman. You guys have some nice cars, as do we. I can appreciate both for what they are. I don't want our ownership to be represented as lowlifes or scum, we are die hard enthusiasts who love a car that most people know nothing about.
This is well said.

GANG - THIS FORUM FOCUSES ON MERCEDES, HOWEVER, WE ARE ALL CAR PEOPLE - LETS STOP THE FLAMING.