Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

E55/SL600/E63: No comment, really...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600
E55/SL600/E63: No comment, really...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGEy2PNMLNw

I got destroyed in every sense of the word. I would go ahead and elaborate, but I suspect the video can tell you all you need to know.

Ran BenzoBoi about 4 times, and 3 out of the 4 times results were as in the video. Last run, I got the jump and we went door to door till...

I'm not even going to discuss the embarrassing loss to Lady_AMG.

What a day... in synopsis, I just want to say I'm extremely disappointed with the performance of my SL600. Don't know what the deal was, and I'm sure as hell not going to make excuses, but I can't believe how bad I got my *** handed to me.

Enjoy

Oh, and duh filmed in Mexico!

Last edited by Akademiks; 05-17-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:41 AM

E63 AMG & CLK350
Hahaha...but you let me win, right??

That was a good run, thanks Harry! You got me off the line, though.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
I've seen some videos of your SL600 before and it was insanely fast. It is modded right? I haven't watched the video yet, about to in a sec. I can't imagine how quick their cars must be...

EDIT: Nevermind! Just saw in the video that yours is stock!
I'm really shocked to see the E63 passed you up... Shouldn't 600's be faster? Especially at higher speeds? Oh well, as a fellow 63 owner, I'm not going to complain.

And btw, LADY_AMG, I wish my wife was like you!! You have mucho respect from me!

Last edited by QuadBenz; 05-17-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:44 AM
Banned

SL600
I never said I let you win Kady...! If my foot was planted any harder, I'd break through the bottom.

Meh, off the line was crap. I didn't even go all the way till about 30 or so... I heard you got a not so good launch off the line either so I'm not counting that as a win/lose.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:46 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
I've seen some videos of your SL600 before and it was insanely fast. It is modded right? I haven't watched the video yet, about to in a sec. I can't imagine how quick their cars must be...

Yeah, I thought my car was fast. Those two were there to set me straight!
Old 05-17-2009, 02:48 AM

E63 AMG & CLK350
Originally Posted by Akademiks
I never said I let you win Kady...! If my foot was planted any harder, I'd break through the bottom.

Meh, off the line was crap. I didn't even go all the way till about 30 or so... I heard you got a not so good launch off the line either so I'm not counting that as a win/lose.
LOL...I was driving with 5 inch heels on, too.

Ya, the launch off the line was not good because I wasn't sure if we we were ready to go. I think you would have still had me off the line, though.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good run guys.

Just hope you guys didn't bring any of that swine flu from Mexico. LOL

Just imagine if i would've rode in Karen's car. Harry might have one. lol
Old 05-17-2009, 02:55 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by JamE55
Good run guys.

Just hope you guys didn't bring any of that swine flu from Mexico. LOL

Just imagine if i would've rode in Karen's car. Harry might have one. lol
Nah, I shoulda raced one of the C300s there. As long as it wouldn't have air filters, I'm pretty sure I would take it!

Errr nvm about that pretty sure, because I was "pretty sure" about a lot of crap up until today!
Old 05-17-2009, 02:57 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by LADY_AMG
LOL...I was driving with 5 inch heels on, too.

Ya, the launch off the line was not good because I wasn't sure if we we were ready to go. I think you would have still had me off the line, though.
I didn't beat you too bad off the line regardless, a car at most till 130+. Not sure how fast I went to but weren't you kissing my bumper the entire time?
Old 05-17-2009, 03:03 AM
Banned

SL600

I'm really shocked to see the E63 passed you up... Shouldn't 600's be faster? Especially at higher speeds? Oh well, as a fellow 63 owner, I'm not going to complain.

And btw, LADY_AMG, I wish my wife was like you!! You have mucho respect from me!
Dude, I don't know. Really, I have no idea why I bothered.

I would like to see Lady_AMG and BenzoBoi line up! That should be fun! They both stomped my 600, I think Lady_AMG more so... the E63 should do quite well against the E55 if not beat it. I think she beat me worse, but the video is there for all to judge.

And yeah... I thought I'd be faster too.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would like to see Lady_AMG and BenzoBoi line up! That should be fun! They both stomped my 600, I think Lady_AMG more so... the E63 should do quite well against the E55 if not beat it. I think she beat me worse, but the video is there for all to judge.

I noticed your roof was down. I wonder if that could've caused any substantial differences in the outcome of the races...
Old 05-17-2009, 03:10 AM

E63 AMG & CLK350
I didn't beat you too bad off the line regardless, a car at most till 130+. Not sure how fast I went to but weren't you kissing my bumper the entire time?
Despite the crappy launch, I stayed pretty close behind you, but you were starting to pull away, so I let off the throttle once I figured I wouldn't catch up.

It's still kinda strange to me to launch in Comfort mode because I swear the car launches harder in in Sport.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:11 AM
Banned

SL600
I noticed your roof was down. I wonder if that could've caused any substantial differences in the outcome of the races...
Her front windows were down. And BenzoBoi's too. Pretty sure I wasn't the only one suffering from aerodynamics.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:12 AM
Banned

SL600
Despite the crappy launch, I stayed pretty close behind you, but you were starting to pull away, so I let off the throttle once I figured I wouldn't catch up.

It's still kinda strange to me to launch in Comfort mode because I swear the car launches harder in in Sport.
Everyone says it's better to launch in Comfort, I don't trust them so I keep it in Sport.

Not that it did much good for me today...
Old 05-17-2009, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Her front windows were down. And BenzoBoi's too. Pretty sure I wasn't the only one suffering from aerodynamics.
I'm just trying to reason... I really thought your V12TT would win.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Banned

SL600
There is no reason really, the E55 and E63 are just faster.

Win some, lose some... now if only I won.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:19 AM

E63 AMG & CLK350
I thought the same thing as well. Before I got into my car, I briefly thought about how bad I was going to lose.

Oh, Harry should mention that we raced AFTER the E55, so maybe he was suffering from heat soak.............................................. .........
Old 05-17-2009, 03:22 AM

E63 AMG & CLK350

He would beat me. Hands down. His car is modded, plus he can handle his car better than I can handle mine at this point.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:22 AM

E63 AMG & CLK350

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
It was a pleasure meeting you today Harry! I remember seeyin yer vids on youtube a while back. Yer car is definitely sick! Look forward to seeyin ya again!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:32 AM
Banned

SL600
I thought the same thing as well. Before I got into my car, I briefly thought about how bad I was going to lose.

Oh, Harry should mention that we raced AFTER the E55, so maybe he was suffering from heat soak.............................................. .........
Nah, heat soak is bs. My passenger said it too, and I heard it being mentioned after the race BUT, if you remember:

A) I went with you out for a ride before I raced BenzoBoi, and we were tearing *** left and right-- still the 600 ran decently well awhile later while racing BenzoBoi.

and B) Before I raced you, it was cooling down for at least 15-20 minutes.

And lastly, I hardly think "heat soak" works something like a parking brake. I think this so-called "heat soak" is some excuse someone dreamt up once they started losing.

Bottom line, I think both your cars deserve props.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:32 AM

nascar
lmfao

1:20 peace outtttttttt
Old 05-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Banned

SL600
He would beat me. Hands down. His car is modded, plus he can handle his car better than I can handle mine at this point.
IDK about that... you beat me worse then he did. Shoulda lined up
Old 05-17-2009, 03:35 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
It was a pleasure meeting you today Harry! I remember seeyin yer vids on youtube a while back. Yer car is definitely sick! Look forward to seeyin ya again!
Likewise bro, you got one fast beast!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Simple answer: Aerodynamics, as in "bad aerodynamics of SL with top down." Yes, the sedans had a window or two open. However, there is a huge difference between having a convertible top down and having a sedan window open. Moreover, the aerodynamic impact increases exponentially as speeds increase. The video shows the SL getting pulled progressively faster by the 55/63 as the speed increases.

The SL lost as badly as it did because running high speeds with the top down is rougly like running with a dragster parachute in-tow. Even with the top up, the SL may have still lost, but it would have at least been closer.

Takes me back to my old Mustang 5.0 vert. I ran it with the top down against a Supra. From the dig we were dead even. However, as speeds increased, he started walking away from me progressively faster. I then put the top up and we did the same run. We stayed dead even to the end. By my estimate, at 100 MPH having the top down was costing me about 50 HP worth of accelerating ability.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55/SL600/E63: No comment, really...