Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

1995 C36 vs 2001 Mustang and 2009 Civic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 300E, 1995 C36 AMG, 1969 VW Bug
1995 C36 vs 2001 Mustang and 2009 Civic

I just got my C36 a few days ago and was hanging out with some buddies last night after work. They wanted to see what the old girl could do so we organized a little drag race between the three of us. We sent out the mustang to check for any cops on the side of the road and he came back a few minutes later saying it was clear.

First run was from a dig. The mustang and civic lined up door to door and I slotted in behind the mustang. I wanted a lane to myself, but the mustang said he would take both me and the civic off the line so I could get behind him and then pass him once we got moving.

Mustang got a good launch off the line, civic was right there with him, and I had the world's most limp wristed grandma launch so from 0-30mph they had a car and a half on me. From 30-80 I started to catch them and by 80 I was on their butts waiting for someone to let me go past. Eventually I passed them both, took it up to about 110, and then we shut it down and turned around.

Run two was from a roughly 55mph roll. I had the left lane to myself, the mustang was even with me and the civic was in front of the mustang by about 2 car lengths. I dropped it into 2nd, walked away from the mustang, and started reeling in the civic. By about 80 I had caught the civic and walked past with no problems. I ended up bringing it up to 135 at which point in time they were both far behind me.

I was pretty impressed with how well the civic kept up, though I know I would have taken the civic easily off the line if I had been paying attention. The mustang would have probably run even with me or a little faster than me from 0-60, but I would have started walking away after that.

The races went as we predicted-both of the other cars ran out of steam at around 80-90mph but the AMG was just starting to pull.

Both other drivers commented on how much top end pull the car had and how good it sounded going past. All in all a really fun night.

Last edited by PaulRicciardi; 08-20-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
///AMG...was that a SI ?

Andy
Old 08-20-2009, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
you did say the civic was already 2 cars in front of you. that had something to do with it for sure.

nice runs and be safe!
Old 08-20-2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by jturkel
you did say the civic was already 2 cars in front of you. that had something to do with it for sure.

nice runs and be safe!
Yeah if I had been door to door with the civic it wouldn't have been a race.

The honda was surprisingly quick under about 50, but the AMG ate it for dinner once we got moving.

M-bENZ, it's a chipped 4 door, not a Si. The Si would have put up a better fight.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by PaulRicciardi

M-bENZ, it's a chipped 4 door, not a Si. The Si would have put up a better fight.
I havent got a chance to against with one of those 09 Si but I did raced 99 or 2000 Si (stock) and YES I walked him pretty good...everyone know CLK320 is slow but yea I won lol. Did I mentioned that I raced one of those Integra Type R too ? lol ...not the turbo one

Andy
Old 08-20-2009, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
M-Benz.....the newer Si's are surprisingly quick. Watch out for those.....i ran one in the c32 when i was stock and had clogged filters (picked up 2 cars after cleaning them, no joke), and he had an intake, exhaust, and tune and pulled just a little bit
Old 08-20-2009, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
I will keep that in mind lol but fck I still wanna run them eventhough they going to smoke me....just wana know at what speed they can take me .

btw, Did you say you had them in two cars length ? If so thats pretty good man u know those cars they are very light weight.

Andy
Old 08-20-2009, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
I just got my C36 a few days ago and was hanging out with some buddies last night after work. They wanted to see what the old girl could do so we organized a little drag race between the three of us. We sent out the mustang to check for any cops on the side of the road and he came back a few minutes later saying it was clear.

First run was from a dig. The mustang and civic lined up door to door and I slotted in behind the mustang. I wanted a lane to myself, but the mustang said he would take both me and the civic off the line so I could get behind him and then pass him once we got moving.

Mustang got a good launch off the line, civic was right there with him, and I had the world's most limp wristed grandma launch so from 0-30mph they had a car and a half on me. From 30-80 I started to catch them and by 80 I was on their butts waiting for someone to let me go past. Eventually I passed them both, took it up to about 110, and then we shut it down and turned around.

Run two was from a roughly 55mph roll. I had the left lane to myself, the mustang was even with me and the civic was in front of the mustang by about 2 car lengths. I dropped it into 2nd, walked away from the mustang, and started reeling in the civic. By about 80 I had caught the civic and walked past with no problems. I ended up bringing it up to 135 at which point in time they were both far behind me.

I was pretty impressed with how well the civic kept up, though I know I would have taken the civic easily off the line if I had been paying attention. The mustang would have probably run even with me or a little faster than me from 0-60, but I would have started walking away after that.

The races went as we predicted-both of the other cars ran out of steam at around 80-90mph but the AMG was just starting to pull.

Both other drivers commented on how much top end pull the car had and how good it sounded going past. All in all a really fun night.
Way to represent the old school AMG! What kind of Stang was it? Auto or manual?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Way to go

I took on a New Si tonight after reading this thread. We did a run from a stop at a light, and then one when the civic was behind me...I was in my BMW 540ia. It's an auto rated at 282hp with an ECU and TCU chip. Overall I think pretty comparable to you C36's. Mine might have a little more HP, but I believe it weighs more.

Well, it wasn't even close...I blew her away. I pulled so hard at the light that it threw me back in my seat. It was one of the best runs I've done in my car in a while.

All in all, I don't think the Si are all that compared to your AMG's. I'd just worry about a fine tuned M3.

Edit: I almost forgot about the CLK 320 in the 3rd lane.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
was it one of these cars ?

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-si-coupe/

Andy
Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by M-bENZ

Andy
thats what I was referring to. a new one. again, it had a tune, intake, and exhaust, and my stock C32 had a clogged air intake. i kept it close though. picked up 2 CLs after cleaning that up against my buddy's camaro.

right now? an SI would need a huge shot of nitrous to at least on top of a tune, intake and exhaust just to keep up

the older ones, like the SI hatches arent worth it. those things are slow. the new models are much nicer, and i would almost consider getting a new Si as a daily if i could afford a second car lol. damn medical school tuition coming up.

Last edited by jturkel; 08-20-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
Way to represent the old school AMG! What kind of Stang was it? Auto or manual?
5 speed manual.

btw, Did you say you had them in two cars length ? If so thats pretty good man u know those cars they are very light weight.
On the second run the civic had about 2 car lengths on me and was in the other lane. We rolled from about 55 and by 80ish I had caught him. From what I saw last night, seems like the civic can't really pull above 80, but the AMG still has plenty left to give, thus I breezed on past.

There's a 1999 M3 around here that belongs to a friend of the mustang driver...but apparently the M3 driver won't give anyone a race.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8

Andy
The one and only
Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
honestly i think there's something wrong with your car.

If it was a regular r18 civic, you should've destoryed him off the line and from a roll. Its 2800lbs with 140hp.

The autos are 17second cars and the manuals around are at best high 15second to 16seconds cars on the quarter mile.

The Si's are 14second cars and slower then the older Rsx Type S on the quarter.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
honestly i think there's something wrong with your car.

If it was a regular r18 civic, you should've destoryed him off the line and from a roll. Its 2800lbs with 140hp.

The autos are 17second cars and the manuals around are at best high 15second to 16seconds cars on the quarter mile.

The Si's are 14second cars and slower then the older Rsx Type S on the quarter.
I think the car's fine. The previous owner took great care of it and never let even the smallest problems go untreated. It had a new wiring harness put in about 2 years ago, a new water pump about 3 months ago. My mechanic took a look at everything on the AMG and didn't see anything wrong with it. I went ahead and had him change the spark plugs, clean the fuel injectors, and change the fluids anyways to be safe. This was before race night. Car runs very strongly, shifts sharply, etc.

The civic was in front of me by probably a car length off the line and launched a good second before me. I'd say with that in mind it's about right. I also didn't want to rear end him seeing as I was behind him. From a roll it was no contest.

I can probably get the civic to give me a 1 on 1 race if you'd like, I'll tell him someone on the merc forums thinks something is wrong with the car and the only way to test it is with a race
Old 08-21-2009, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla

I can probably get the civic to give me a 1 on 1 race from a roll if you'd like, I'll tell him someone on the merc forums thinks something is wrong with the car and the only way to test it is with a race
dooo iiit.

Andy
Old 08-21-2009, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
dooo iiit.

Andy
and get a video! i love videos lol
Old 08-21-2009, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by jturkel
and get a video! i love videos lol
me too me too damn I wish I live close to you guys LOL.

Andy
Old 08-22-2009, 12:55 AM

So here's the update.

Civic and I just went for a little run. I followed him to his girlfriend's house to pick up her new Nikon D90 (DSLR that shoots video). On the way this old school civic coupe passes me and pulls up even with my friend in his new civic. They went from a roll and my buddy beat the old civic. I didn't even bother running with them, just watched. So plus one for my buddy

So anyways, it's just the two of us tonight-nobody in front of me like last time and this time we're actually lined up door to door. I let him do the "three honks". First race is from a dig, I demolished him. Put probably 4 cars on him. Second race is from a 50 roll, I walked away easily and left him far behind, third race is from a 40 roll, I pull about two cars and then brake to let him go by.

Unfortunately his gal couldn't seem to get video mode on the D90 working, so we were all a little disappinted. But next time there shall be some (hopefully high quality) videos. I'm looking at getting one of the flip HD video recorders and keeping it in the glove compartment. Not much old school AMG stuff on the web as far as video goes, so I'm looking to change that.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
C36 AMG

Good one mate. Which Mustang was it? the V8 GT? or the V6?, just wondering. What color is your C36?

The C36 is a "Great" car. I had a really nice one until about a year ago. loved it. I never raced a Mustang GT in it but I think that it would have been a very good race. On top-end the C36 is suprisingly fast. From a dig it feels its weight but they all do. My daughter has a 2000 Civic Si and if you rev the nutz off of it, it is a quick little car but I would not expect it to keep up with a C36. My son and I kept up with an older (1997-99ish) Mustang GT one day in the Si but I am not sure what kind of shape it was in.

Irish