Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

CTS-V E55 W210 (Not a kill story)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up CTS-V E55 W210 (Not a kill story)

Ok, so not much of a kill story but good story overall. So Sunday afternoon I finally got around to add my roof spoiler and it was a great day to go for a spin. (Lately here in Boston/overcast) I also wanted to see how much HP/TQ this roof spoiler was going to put out lol. So I head down to RT.3 (long stretch highway) and as usual K40 turn on, when I finally turn back around to head back home, thinking to myself well this sux no one to play with. When all of sudden I see bright HID from a distance coming pretty quick, at this point I’m in the middle lane- so to take a better looksie I headed over to the fast lane (3 lanes) this is the same lane that the car from a distance is closing in quickly. (Going about 50 at this point) Finally the car that was from the distance was a Silver CTS-V, thinking to myself damn this car pulls 0-60 in the high 3’s ( 3.9 I believe bone stock) so he comes really close to me and at this point we are coming up to a small group of cars I slow down and I drop it in 3rd gear as I know she makes a really nice melody, as I look up in rear view mirror some how he saw me even with my tint he waves. I knew at this point it was on! I took the challenge even though I had no shot in Hell- as the pack of cars start to disappear and the car in front of me changed lanes (right lane) I gunned it- He was right on me at this point we only went QTR mile as there was another group of cars approaching, you can clearly see that after this group of cars it was open LANE, so- as I go to pass the car in the fast lane to jump into the middle lane I floooored it WOT and I got the jump on him he clearly didn’t think I was going to punch it that hard….. 60, 70, 90, had at least a good 1 ½ car on him…… 100, 115, 125 still the pedal is alllllll the way down 130, 140, 145 , 148 still have him by at least a solid 1 car on him – at this point we were coming up to another group of cars, so finally he came up beside me and give me a Thumbs Up I returned with a Thumbs up as well and he took the next exit.

Like I said not much of a kill story but more of a “Ok, I respect the W210 AMG”

Armani

Last edited by armaniE55; 03-01-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 Dodge Dart, '16 Audi Q5
Don't be so hard on yourself...if it is a prior to '09 CTS-V you definitely have a chance... It wasn't til '09 that they put the monster engine in the CTS-V with the facelift...

Hell, even my lil ole SRT6 walks a '08 CTS-V...

Either way, good fun.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Thanks ,

Yup 09+... that was the first thing I noticed when he pulled up behind me the front nose was the new model. It was recently featured in car and driver and it looked exactly the same.

Good times...
Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 PM

W210 01 E55
I recently drove an 09 CTS-V 6-speed. My impressions were that the car was very heavy. It was not at all tossable in the turns, and I did have an opportunity to take it into the mountains...

The car was prone to understeer, but it was very insidious understeer. The car was quite unbalanced, heavy toward the front, and it exhibited a definite pendulum effect when pushed hard through the turns - the rear kept wanting to step out.

Fast? Definitely. But it didn't really feel all that fast comparatively speaking. I expected the 'fast' to take my breath away. It definitely failed to do that, feeling only marginally faster than my stock W210...

There's an old joke about Asian cars and horsepower - that they use little horses. I can't help but wonder if GM has started using smaller horses to tally up their HP numbers? It definitely felt quick, but it didn't feel 550 Horsepower quick. I'd driven a new Jaguar XF Supercharged with a 420 HP blown 4.2 V8, and it felt every bit as quick as the new CTS-V... I was seriously unimpressed. Nice car, and no question the best deal in the super sedan segment. But not as fast as claimed methinks...
Old 03-08-2010, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Calling Improviz, calling Improviz. Some serious BS here needs to be dealt with. The only truthful part of the story was that you had no shot in hell against a new CTS-V. Maybe you'd like to try your luck against a W211 E55? It would be just as ugly.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 AM

i drive an ///M6
ummmmm... not a shot in hell he was even into it.....was he towing a trailer of clydesdales maybe??.... I had a litre bike (R1) do this to me once as well up to about 150....now, my GTO makes some extra *power*, but did i win?? hell no, he was just pacing me for fun.... the same thing this "v" did to you, my friend.... kewl story none the less....
Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 PM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by Interplexor
Fast? Definitely. But it didn't really feel all that fast comparatively speaking. I expected the 'fast' to take my breath away. It definitely failed to do that, feeling only marginally faster than my stock W210
An interesting observation, are you sure you weren't test driving a 1st gen. LS2 vs. an LS-A? Considering the following:

1. Owners are consistently reporting low 12s in the high teens. And pretty much every magazine as well including head-to-head tests vs. the Jaguar and E63. Leagues apart from an N/A E55. Leagues.

2. Until recently held the sedan record at the 'Ring.

3. With Heinricy vs. Auberlen in an E60 M5 SMG, it was essentially a driver's race with the best lap going to the CTS-V. You can't do a better comparison than that.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 03-09-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:20 PM

W210 01 E55
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
An interesting observation, are you sure you weren't test driving a 1st gen. LS2 vs. an LS-A? Considering the following:

1. Owners are consistently reporting low 12s in the high teens. And pretty much every magazine as well including head-to-head tests vs. the Jaguar and E63. Leagues apart from an N/A E55. Leagues.

2. Until recently held the sedan record at the 'Ring.

3. With Heinricy vs. Auberlen in an E60 M5 SMG, it was essentially a driver's race with the best lap going to the CTS-V. You can't do a better comparison than that.
Yes, it was a brand new 6 speed manual CTS-V at St. Claire Cadillac... about 3 weeks ago. With the supercharged engine.

I am not saying that it's not fast. I'm saying that despite the hammer under the hood, it didn't FEEL all that fast. I certainly believe it's capable of the numbers, but, it may also be the specific car I drove - which was a dealer test vehicle/demo car that was significantly beat up, with a failing clutch...

It was fast. It didn't take my breath away, however... which is what I was expecting, given the hype.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:25 PM

Charger SRT-8
Gotcha.

4300lbs, beat-up and a bad clutch with the butt dyno doesn't necessarily agree with the timing lights.

I live near there. Where exactly were you able to push the car to the point you could feel the understeer and rear end getting light? After all, cold tires and pavement with the weather we've been having hurts virtually every performance car.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:45 PM

W210 01 E55
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Where exactly were you able to push the car to the point you could feel the understeer and rear end getting light? After all, cold tires and pavement with the weather we've been having hurts virtually every performance car.
Stevens Canyon Road. Exit 280N, from Foothill Expressway, and I will note it was a dry day, with dry pavement (with an occasional wet patch).

The car felt very heavy through the turns up to the dam. I went back down Stevens Canyon and back to the dealership from there...

Last edited by Interplexor; 03-10-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Seems pretty doubtful that the other driver was fully on it. The new CTS-V has been timed at about 22 seconds 0-150; the 210 E55 was in the 33-35 second range to this speed as I recall, I know the CLK55 was 34...so unless you got a 12 second jump, he'd have caught you and passed you eventually. You can pull someone in a 1/4 mile race with a 1-sec jump or so, but after that 1/4 it's all over.

If it was a new CTS-V, then he was probably just playing around, in a straightup race it'd be bloody at those speeds.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Nobody is factoring in the new roof spoiler.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mister Brenton
Wonder if this guy got himself a CTS-V?
Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 PM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by Improviz
Wonder if this guy got himself a CTS-V?
That's hot. I can't tell if it's Sterling, a Matador or just some LeMons entry.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:31 PM

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by Mister Brenton
Ah, good catch!