Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Ultimate kill. SL55 vs M5

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-01-2003, 07:30 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by Ahmed
thank you! i rest my case!

and people wonder why BMW's are a bad investment! Is this going to be the trend that BMW will set? They are discontinuing models that arent even a decade old!
FYI, the Z8 was a limited production from the beginning. They even extended the production because of demands. The SL is a production car with a long term investment in mind.

Car model changes once the cost to develope it is even out and starts to make profit. If they sell more than they expect they'll end or change the model. In this case BMW doesn't have to worry about profit because the Z8 was just something to show the automotive world that they can do this and that. MB took 12 years to come out with the new SL because until now, the previous gen SL never made back it's development cost.

The same very reason that Accord and Camry are changing every 5-6 years because they sell a lot of cars.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
or maybe th sl was a such a good car that they didnt have to make another model. and if know about MB the reason the sl is changed very little over long times is b/c the design and build of the is detailed that they cant change all the machines every few years. the cheaper cars are just very basic designs and can be used by by the same machines.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:43 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
it's not the machine they change, it's the molds, and cast that are used to make different parts.

the R129 since the introduction has gone through various changes. Tranny, engine, interior update, even more safety feature, and exterior update.

Last edited by FrankW; 09-02-2003 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 132 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
Re: Re: Re: Thank you!

Originally posted by FrankW
haven't you read what the past 10 pages has been talking about. In the end it's the preference of manual versus automatic and brand preference.

you guys have been brain washed too much. The SL55 (perhaps new SL) is the answer to BMW's Z8 because the Z8 trumped the previous gen SL. There are couple years difference seperate the new SL and the Z8 being that the Z8 is older. Z8 also has a all aluminum frame which is not the 2 ton SL can sing about. BMW will eventually come out with the M6 with a 500hp V10 that will smash the performance number of the SL55. MB of course will make another answer then.

They are both GREAT machines. One starts out in design with the driver in mind, and the other with luxury in mind. I rest my case.
i believe the correct challenger to the M6 would be the CL65 AMG !
Old 09-02-2003, 11:36 AM

996 Turbo
Re: Re: Re: Re: Thank you!

Originally posted by Ahmed
i believe the correct challenger to the M6 would be the CL65 AMG !
The M6 actually goes up toe to toe against the CLK55 thats why MB is revamping the engine lineup.

The Z8 was a failure it did not sell like BMW expected it to sell, its been discussed many times before, BMW over estimated their target audience. They diverted a large chunk of production for Alpina just to meet minimum sales targets. If you are ever in Dubai come take a look at the BMW showroom 2 Z8s are sitting there, one is a 2003 Alpina the other is a 2002 Z8 both with zero kms and NO takers.

The Z8 isn't exactly light either. It has a DRY weight of roughly 3500 pounds strap on another 165 to get a curb weight and thats 3700 ish pounds, kind of have to wonder where all that extra weight went. Aluminium frame and a soft top roof should equal something in the 3300 pound range instead its 400 pounds heavier than it should be.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 132 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thank you!

Originally posted by FInality
The M6 actually goes up toe to toe against the CLK55 thats why MB is revamping the engine lineup.

The Z8 was a failure it did not sell like BMW expected it to sell, its been discussed many times before, BMW over estimated their target audience. They diverted a large chunk of production for Alpina just to meet minimum sales targets. If you are ever in Dubai come take a look at the BMW showroom 2 Z8s are sitting there, one is a 2003 Alpina the other is a 2002 Z8 both with zero kms and NO takers.

The Z8 isn't exactly light either. It has a DRY weight of roughly 3500 pounds strap on another 165 to get a curb weight and thats 3700 ish pounds, kind of have to wonder where all that extra weight went. Aluminium frame and a soft top roof should equal something in the 3300 pound range instead its 400 pounds heavier than it should be.
like i said earlier, and i will say it again...

i am not prepared to pay $150,000 for a car that looks like its been warped from a 60's episode of STAR TREK!
Old 09-02-2003, 05:58 PM

2003 S500
It's interesting to see how some people will do anything to prove the other person wrong. Both AMG and M motorsport build amazing machines. They cannot appeal to everyone. All they can do is build better cars according to their knowledge and philosophy. What matters is that we have a wide selection of amazing cars to choose from. I prefer AMGs, but that is my personal choice. Imagine how boring it would be if everyone liked one specific car company?? Not only that, but the waiting lists would be longer for AMGs or Ms. We wouldn't want that now would we? LOL. Enjoy your cars and please stop arguing about why this car is better than that one.
The M5 is an awesome sports sedan, and the SL55 is an awesome sports luxury roadster.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:41 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by Schnelles V8
It's interesting to see how some people will do anything to prove the other person wrong. Both AMG and M motorsport build amazing machines. They cannot appeal to everyone. All they can do is build better cars according to their knowledge and philosophy. What matters is that we have a wide selection of amazing cars to choose from. I prefer AMGs, but that is my personal choice. Imagine how boring it would be if everyone liked one specific car company?? Not only that, but the waiting lists would be longer for AMGs or Ms. We wouldn't want that now would we? LOL. Enjoy your cars and please stop arguing about why this car is better than that one.
The M5 is an awesome sports sedan, and the SL55 is an awesome sports luxury roadster.

what I've heard was Alpina signed a deal with BMWusa to specially made the Alpina roadster for the US market. They asked BMW to supply them with the Z8 body shell. The Z8 was still in production when Alpina made those 500 something unit of the Alpina V8 roadster.

btw, like I said before, Dubai is probably the only country that doesn't sell that many Z8s. Don't just judge the world by what's going on in Dubai.