Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

March/Cosworth 88C v the Neighbors...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
March/Cosworth 88C v the Neighbors...

Remember when you were a kid, and you got a new toy....... and just had to play with it. Well it happens to 'adults' too.

When I bought the Indycar, it came from across the country via enclosed transport. It was supposed to take a week. The week came and went. As did the second. Apparently, there was some foul weather in Colorado that was ruining my fun. I was going crazy, wanting to play with my 1550 pound, 750hp knick knack. A knick knack that also was from a ground effect era where the car would make so much downforce that it could actually drive upside down in a tunnel. Maybe I could find a tunnel........ if it ever arrives!

When the Indycar finally came off the truck, I invited a buddy, who was just as enthusiastic about the car, over to see it. We looked at it, tried it on... petted it. But then we wanted to see if it would start........ It did!

Well since it started...... and I had a helmet and a fire suit handy, I HAD to see if it would drive! Wouldn't you? You know you would.

So, around the neighborhood I went....... twice! During the second lap, (after terrifying all the neighbor's cats, dogs, birds and fish, I spy'd one lady peering around the corner of her driveway, angrily talking on the phone. Was I the subject of the call?

As I pull up to the house, every father and teenage and sub teenage boy just happened to be at my house, apparently waiting for me to arrive. Hard to believe they knew where to go. I think I was running an F40, TR, 348, Mondial and an Esprit turbo at the time!

We all chatted and they helped push the car back in the trailer. As we are all just hanging around the trailer, sure enough my friendly neighbor had called the cops, and here comes one of Tempe's finest down the street.

He actually was OK. He gets out of the cruiser with a smile on his face. As he walks toward the crowd, it parts, revealing me standing there with race overalls tied around my waist. I figure, I'm dead!

He then said, "I got this whacky call about a race car lapping this neighborhood. Did you guys happen to see anything"? The group, in unison just shook their collective head, NO. He thanked us, looked in the trailer, said, "Nice car", and pulled off, sporting a big grin. I could still hear my 'friendly' neighbor continuing her ballistic rant. Perhaps we should have unloaded the March for one more lap!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Great story as always dino! you seem to attract the friendly cops in town lol
Old 04-13-2011, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by jturkel
Great story as always dino! you seem to attract the friendly cops in town lol
It's all about attitude. I learned a long time ago, getting pissed and being aggressive only ends up with a visit to traffic school!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Nice story and congrats on the new toy! Would love to see some photos of it. Plenty of gearheads on my street, I doubt anyone would call the cops. 750HP @ 1550 lbs.....damn that sounds like a whole lot of fun!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bbearden
Nice story and congrats on the new toy! Would love to see some photos of it. Plenty of gearheads on my street, I doubt anyone would call the cops. 750HP @ 1550 lbs.....damn that sounds like a whole lot of fun!
Here's a couple of shots...

Old 04-30-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Jealous......
Old 05-04-2011, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Very cool. Any pics of the dash/steering wheel/cockpit?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C55 AMG
Great story as always.

I actually read this when it was originally posted. But I had to come back and reread it after seeing the group of old Indy Cars lap Road Atlanta last weekend at The Mitty.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by VCA_AMG
Very cool. Any pics of the dash/steering wheel/cockpit?
Yes, but I need to find them and scan them. I had this car when digital was just getting going.

Originally Posted by thegreatfnr
Great story as always.

I actually read this when it was originally posted. But I had to come back and reread it after seeing the group of old Indy Cars lap Road Atlanta last weekend at The Mitty.

Old Indycars are a rush that every enthusiast should experience.....
Old 05-05-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 AMG, SL55 AMG, plus some Italian cars
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
It's all about attitude. I learned a long time ago, getting pissed and being aggressive only ends up with a visit to traffic school!
One word - "Gunnison".
Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Challenge64
One word - "Gunnison".
That just sent shivers up my spine!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
E63S
Love your tales