Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Ever Race the PoPo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Ever Race the PoPo?

Back in 1970, I used to commute to the U. of Md. in my hot rodded '57' Belair Chevy equipped with big engine, four speed, posi and 3:70 gears.

One night I'm cruising home at around 70 mph, (that was the speed limit then), and the road is deserted when a MD state trooper starts to pass me and then slows down to match my speed and cruise next to me. I don't think too much of it because I'm doing the speed limit and it's not that unusual for people, cops too, to slow down and take a look at my fine '57'.

Next thing I know, he's romping the gas pedal, lifting the front of his big Dodge, trying to get me to race him. I'm thinking, no way in hell am I going to fall for this but he keeps it up like he really wants to go. I know we're approaching my exit and I'm getting annoyed with the situation and finally figure, what the hell, drop a gear, and it's on. We run from 65 to a little over 100 and it's closer than I thought it would be but I've got a fender or more on him as we approace my exit ramp. I wait as long as I can before jamming on the brakes, turning onto the ramp, and exiting the freeway so there's no way he can follow and I quickly disappear into the surface streets.

One week later, a trooper walks into my part time job at the local gas station, (the '57' was parked out front), and proceeds to scare the crap out of me with theats of arrest, impounding the car, etc. Then, laughs his *** off. Guy turned out to be one of the coolest cops I've ever met and we became friends. He did this to me several times over the years. Good fun.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Nobody else got a kick out of this story? I did.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Nobody else got a kick out of this story? I did.
No. Racing cops is lame unless they're after you. Been there, done that.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
i've heard of cops doing this to instigate and actually pulling over the person they "raced"

and fwiw, bad idea for a thread. just dumb. racing cops? really? REALLY?

cool story bro
Old 11-10-2011, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
It was a different time back then.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Exactly. Nowadays as people have turned into bigger scumbags, so have cops. Back in the day cops were cool.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Yep, racing a cop in 1970 and today is 100% different.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM

2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Originally Posted by jturkel
i've heard of cops doing this to instigate and actually pulling over the person they "raced"

and fwiw, bad idea for a thread. just dumb. racing cops? really? REALLY?

cool story bro
Update: We have a pos local cop here in town that drives an unmarked Charger with wheels and dark tint. Twice he's tried to get my son to run him in the '68' Camaro without success. Everyone knows and despises this dick head for stuff like that because he WILL write you up for serious stuff after encouraging you to do it.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 335i 03 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by speedpeddler
Update: We have a pos local cop here in town that drives an unmarked Charger with wheels and dark tint. Twice he's tried to get my son to run him in the '68' Camaro without success. Everyone knows and despises this dick head for stuff like that because he WILL write you up for serious stuff after encouraging you to do it.
That's the thing, the cop could egg you on for miles and miles to race him, if you do the right thing and drive normal he can't do ****, however if someone gives in the cop could pull you over and make up some crazy story like this guys nuts he tried to race me and give you tickets, fines, and whatever else he comes up with. Act like he's "cool" then flip on you in a split second.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:27 PM

Kompressor Sport Sedan 05 M271
id like to race a cop... id get smoked id imagine haha
Old 11-16-2011, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Exactly. Buddy of mine just got popped in Indy by unmarked V8 Stang Popo who proceeded to rev behind his Camaro (speeding up and getting on bumper) constantly until he floored it to show off a bit and BAM, got him.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:47 PM

2004 E55
That's called entrapment. It's illegal.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Happy2th
That's called entrapment. It's illegal.
It would certainly seem that way but, what ya gonna do about it? Your word against his and you know how thats going to work out.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where to start? The Italians or the Germans?
******* ****!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2002 G500, 2007 CLS 550, 2018 GLC 300
I was behind this Charger the other day, it had "Hemi" emblems above the "3.5" emblems on the front fenders, another "Hemi" emblem on the trunklid, and "SICK RT" personal plates. The car was obviously a base model V6, had plain-jane 17" alloys with narrow tires, and single exhaust. When we approached the red light, he moves over so I'm alongside him. He looks over at me, lurches ahead twice. My E500 is not exactly "fast", but I'm looking forward to embarrasing this poser. The light turns and I easily leave him behind. A few seconds later, the Charger is alongside me and driver is motioning for me to roll down my window. I get a good view of the uniformed officer and he says "I don't care how fast your car is, it can't outrun a Motorola radio. Take it easy!" Then he turned off. It had crossed my mind that it might have been an unmarked, but no steelies, no antennas, and that cheesy personal plate and Hemi emblems. Perfect bait car.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I had a little 'incident' with the popo back in the '90s that turned out OK...

I had just bought a Testarossa and was driving across country from MI to AZ. Early on my last day, while going through northern NM, I had been the only car on the road for about an hour, when I see a highway patrol car on the other side of the highway, but he had a customer. It was an old Impala, that probably couldn't have exceeded the 75mph limit if he tried. I glance down to notice that I was just trundling along at between 75-80mph, but just like when an attractive girls struts past the coffee shop, both the cop and the customer stopped what they were doing, to watch the black Ferrari go by.

Not thinking anything of it (since I wasn't speeding), I continue down the road. About 30 mins later, I look in my rear view, and I notice way, way, way off in the distance red and blue flashing lights. I think to myself, "You have to be kidding"? I have a choice, continue along and have a meeting with 5-0, or let the Ferrari breathe a little. I chose to breathe! Within a matter of seconds I was well into triple digits, and somehow those annoying lights were a distance memory. However, I certainly know you can't outrun a radio, and I decide to duck into and behind a rest area.

I sit back there and wait.... and wait, and then wait some more! Probably about 10 mins later here comes NM's finest, with lights a blaze, and down the road he goes. Maybe he wasn't after me...... or maybe he was?

Should I go, or should I stay? After about 15 minutes of procrastination....... I go! No more than 10 miles down the road, my V1 starts singing and pointing its arrows forward. As I come over a rise, the V1 screams, and in the median are 3 patrol cars, radar on......... waving at me as I go by!

At my next gas stop, as I am filling up, sure enough 3 NM highway patrol cars pull in and surround me and the TR. I figure that something ugly is going to happen and I brace for the worst.

They actually just wanted to look at the car as they had never see one before. After yacking cars for an hour, one of the patrolman admits that he was trying to chase me, and didn't have a chance. He said that he thought he saw something black and low, but then it was just gone! So he wasn't sure if it was me. I, of course admitted to nothing!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 S550 4Matic
Did someone say "Race the popo?" Just say NO. Don't do it.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I had a little incident back in the mid-70s when I was sixteen. I'm driving along in my dads 69 Olds Delta 88. This thing was all factory, but came with a 455 4 barrel and dual exhaust. It was quick for its day and size. All of a sudden, this green mopar screams past me. I decide to see if I can reel him in and tromp on it. As I start to get close to him, he turns on the red and blues and goes screaming down an off ramp. he obviously had bigger fish to fry than a stupid 16 year old. I drove straight home and parked the car still scared crapless.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
I had a little 'incident' with the popo back in the '90s that turned out OK...

I had just bought a Testarossa and was driving across country from MI to AZ. Early on my last day, while going through northern NM, I had been the only car on the road for about an hour, when I see a highway patrol car on the other side of the highway, but he had a customer. It was an old Impala, that probably couldn't have exceeded the 75mph limit if he tried. I glance down to notice that I was just trundling along at between 75-80mph, but just like when an attractive girls struts past the coffee shop, both the cop and the customer stopped what they were doing, to watch the black Ferrari go by.

Not thinking anything of it (since I wasn't speeding), I continue down the road. About 30 mins later, I look in my rear view, and I notice way, way, way off in the distance red and blue flashing lights. I think to myself, "You have to be kidding"? I have a choice, continue along and have a meeting with 5-0, or let the Ferrari breathe a little. I chose to breathe! Within a matter of seconds I was well into triple digits, and somehow those annoying lights were a distance memory. However, I certainly know you can't outrun a radio, and I decide to duck into and behind a rest area.

I sit back there and wait.... and wait, and then wait some more! Probably about 10 mins later here comes NM's finest, with lights a blaze, and down the road he goes. Maybe he wasn't after me...... or maybe he was?

Should I go, or should I stay? After about 15 minutes of procrastination....... I go! No more than 10 miles down the road, my V1 starts singing and pointing its arrows forward. As I come over a rise, the V1 screams, and in the median are 3 patrol cars, radar on......... waving at me as I go by!

At my next gas stop, as I am filling up, sure enough 3 NM highway patrol cars pull in and surround me and the TR. I figure that something ugly is going to happen and I brace for the worst.

They actually just wanted to look at the car as they had never see one before. After yacking cars for an hour, one of the patrolman admits that he was trying to chase me, and didn't have a chance. He said that he thought he saw something black and low, but then it was just gone! So he wasn't sure if it was me. I, of course admitted to nothing!
Now that's funny

Originally Posted by Popo Here
Did someone say "Race the popo?" Just say NO. Don't do it.
Exactly! Never a good idea....

I did once, not knowing it was an off duty police officer. We were at a light turning left side by side. When the light turned green I let him get a jump because I could tell he thought he had a fast car. Once he hit it so did I and and was able to overtake him on the outside going left at the light. We hit maybe 50 and I see lights from his grille, and was like "are you F***ing kidding me?" I pull over, and he comes up to my door like he just ran a 5K and asked for the usual. I hand him my military ID and he says, "well slow it down out here, there are a lot of people out here. Consider this a warning."

I'll never forget that time...I was only in my C230...
Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 PM

Can't believe this thread is still going but since it is, I'll share another Popo story that happened last year.

I'm hauling *** down my favorite on ramp to I-95 in Florida all by myself and pushing pretty hard. As I round the apex of the bend in the ramp at 90 I see the only other car on the entrance ramp is about 200 yards ahead of me so I floor it and run up to about 130. As I'm barreling down on this other car, (I have no intention of passing him at this speed), he flips on the blue lights for about two seconds and waves his finger out the window of his unmarked at me. Needless to say, I hit the brakes hard and tuck in behind him. Followed him for 15 miles down I-95 at 60 mph and didn't get stopped.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
I raced a NC State Patrol at about 4:30 in the morning once in my E55... I was sitting at the light and he was revving his car to get my attention. It didn't have a light bar on top, so I didn't even realize he was a state boy until he rolled the window down and I saw the paint job on his car. He then tells me, when the light turns green, just go.... He revs so I realize he really want to do this... I nail it and am in front of him... The next light is quickly approaching and I realize he isn't slowing down so I run the red light.... Now have a car length on him... My exit is coming up, I slow down, he gives me a thumbs up and flashes his blues at me and continues down the road....

Scariest but most awesome time all in one! Will never divulge any further details than that... And would never do it again....
Old 06-08-2013, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by speedpeddler
It would certainly seem that way but, what ya gonna do about it? Your word against his and you know how thats going to work out.
All cop cars have cameras these days.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Just a few years ago I noticed a police car right on my *** as I was going 80 in a 65 zone in Western Maryland. I got over and he floored it by me, when I noticed he was a West Virginia State Trooper, so out of his jurisdiction and driving like a dick. I proceeded to race him for 40 miles at speeds up to 130. I even passed him going uphill up a mountain at around 115. I taped the entire thing with my cellphone. About 20 miles before I got to the WV state line, I backed off. I figured he'd have his buddies there waiting for me, but he didn't. To this day I'm not sure if he could have actually gotten me in trouble since he was out of state...
Old 08-29-2013, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Driving to Vegas for Wuste 2011 I got pulled over four times before getting out of Texas for no front plate. The last State Trooper who pulled me over outside Van Horn, Tx (literally the middle of ****ing nowhere with an 80 MPH speed limit) was really cool and we had a good laugh about how I'd been pulled over three times before he pulled me. Anyway, we had another good conversation about him and his EVO he had. He payed me some compliments on my car, gave me my warning, and let me on my way. Coming back about a week later, with my buddy in his 2007 Stage II+ GTI (with no front plate either) following me a DPS car pulls behind me on my *** (I was in highway hypnosis mode a bit) and flips the lights on. Naturally I slowed down and prepared to pull over, but the cruiser switched lanes and hauled up next to me. It was the same guy who pulled me over the last time before leaving the state. He flips the lights off, rolls down both windows (now at ~80 MPH and he's got a partner in the car with him this time), motions forward with his hand, and starts the leapfrog action like he wants to go. So I raced him in his Ford CV cruiser. Beat his *** to 110 MPH before I shut it down and let him pull back next to me. He then points backwards with his thumb, proceeds to decelerate, and flips his lights back on so he could then proceed to pull my buddy, who had followed us through the roll race, over and write him a warning for failure to display a front license plate.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:19 PM

Ok. One more because these are some fun stories.
I'm leaving my job at the gas station one afternoon on my Triumph Bonneville and light up and smoke the rear tire across the parking lot showing off to my buds. Unknown to me, a motorcycle cop was sitting at the traffic light in front of the station and sees the whole thing, turns on the lights and siren and U-turns to pursue. I, in a brain fart moment, take off across the freshly plowed corn field behind the station thinking there's no way a cop on a Harley is going to come after me across a freshly plowed field, but he does. About a 50 yards into the field the Harley boggs down in the dirt and off I go. The great escape. Not! Ended up with 12 points and a suspended license when he showed up at my house later that day. My buddies at the gas station ratted me out. Lucky I didn't get arrested. He was not happy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ever Race the PoPo?