Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

E55 vs Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e 55
E55 vs Mustang GT

Mixed emotions and some regret on this one!
My teenage son and I were driving home from the Westside of Houston; first drive after maintenance (car was noticeably crisp after new plugs). Sure as heck we cross paths with a late 20’s driver in a Mustang GT; blacked-out, lowered with a throaty-exhaust. He paced us to the next stop light and starts revving. Trying to ignore it, I look straight ahead. But my son says “Dad, Puuulleease run him, he’s asking for it”. Well, I’m sure the driver notices my son, so he revs even louder. I glance over and the guy is laughing at us. Well, that’s it, it’s ON!!!
Light turns and we are off, both cars with just a little wheel spin. After about 50yds, I’m easily about 2 car links ahead and pulling. My son can’t contain himself and is leaning over looking back at him and laughing. He says “Dad, we smoked him and you should see the look on his face” I let off and allowed him to catch up. He stays about a car length behind and doesn't look over, but revs his motor only after we turn into our hood! I have to admit, it felt good! It's nice when the grocery-getting 4 door sedan with massaging seats put's someone in their place. But regarding my 17YO son, it’s the classic “do as I say, not as I do”

Last edited by pragmatic1; 07-02-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: add
Old 07-02-2013, 03:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
SOLD W203..CURRENTLY DRIVING W211
Dammmm lol i had many incidents like that glad to see the power of 55 !!good job sir
Old 07-04-2013, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55
Originally Posted by pragmatic1
My teenage son and I were driving home from the Westside of Houston; first drive after maintenance (car was noticeably crisp after new plugs). Sure as heck we cross paths with a late 20’s driver in a Mustang GT; blacked-out, lowered with a throaty-exhaust. He paced us to the next stop light and starts revving. Trying to ignore it, I look straight ahead. But my son says “Dad, Puuulleease run him, he’s asking for it”. Well, I’m sure the driver notices my son, so he revs even louder. I glance over and the guy is laughing at us. Well, that’s it, it’s ON!!!
Light turns and we are off, both cars with just a little wheel spin. After about 50yds, I’m easily about 2 car links ahead and pulling. My son can’t contain himself and is leaning over looking back at him and laughing. He says “Dad, we smoked him and you should see the look on his face” I let off and allowed him to catch up. He stays about a car length behind and doesn't look over, but revs his motor only after we turn into our hood! I have to admit, it felt good! It's nice when the grocery-getting 4 door sedan with massaging seats put's someone in their place. But regarding my 17YO son, it’s the classic “do as I say, not as I do”
I grew up around fast and powerful cars. My dad would take me for rides and occasionally crack it open. He always would tell me afterwards that there is a time and place for everything and you just don't go doing that stuff anywhere at anytime. I grew up ok and to have a great respect for powerful cars and knowing when to say when. Just last year I had a group of about 15 sportbikes approach me on the highway. The leader is wearing a GoPro on his helmet and looks at me and revs it. I know Im going to get killed, but wouldn't mind having some fun, but given that there were more than a dozen of them and we were merging with another highway soon, I smile and given them a thumbs up while shaking my head. Im thinking that if he and I go, they're ALL going to go. I had visions of ALL of them acting goofy and weaving in and out of traffic and what a potential danger that would be. I was actually looking out for them. So if you teach your son well, he will grow up just fine.

Regarding the Mustangs, the 55K Benzes are just on another level and its not even close. I doubt that Joe Ordinary Mustang driver realizes that. Even the newer and more potent 5.0s need more than just some exhaust work to hope to keep up. And the old 4.6L are just dogs in stock (or even modified) form.

The last time I was at the drag strip there was a stock '13 5.0 Mustang there. The best he could do was in the 13.0s and I was nearly a full second quicker. 8 tenths in a drag race is an eternity.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 PM

e 55
Wow, you definitely made the right choice regarding the bikes. Sounds like they were setting up for the next youtube clip. Right time and place didn't apply there. Thanks for the post!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 AM

E55
Originally Posted by pragmatic1
Great story. Reminds me of begging my dad to do a burnout in his old Lincoln Mark 7, when it was new picking me up from school as a kid. He refused, and later we drive by a motorcycle police parked on corner. He told me its not cool to show off in the wrong place. He dropped me off at home, and as he left to the grocery store with my mom. He did this enormous burn out leaving our cul de sac. Smoke everywhere. Good memories.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:03 PM

e 55
Originally Posted by RustbucketRacer
Great story. Reminds me of begging my dad to do a burnout in his old Lincoln Mark 7, when it was new picking me up from school as a kid. He refused, and later we drive by a motorcycle police parked on corner. He told me its not cool to show off in the wrong place. He dropped me off at home, and as he left to the grocery store with my mom. He did this enormous burn out leaving our cul de sac. Smoke everywhere. Good memories.
Nice story as well! Good memories indeed.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 PM

e 55
Originally Posted by BobLibSL55
The last time I was at the drag strip there was a stock '13 5.0 Mustang there. The best he could do was in the 13.0s and I was nearly a full second quicker. 8 tenths in a drag race is an eternity.
Impressive!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Good story and I approve of the "do as I say, not as I do". Same thing I did with my teenager and he's been a responsible driver ever sense.

I don't mess with crotch rockets since I've owned a few and know the 55 is no match but I have surprised a couple of bikers. I was biding my time waiting for an opportunity to pass a slow moving sugar cane truck on a rural two lane with two guys on bikes behind me. When my opportunity comes, I mat it and pull out to go around when all of a sudden theres one of the bikes inches from my window thinking he was going to pass us both at once. We're three abreast at 80 mph on a narrow two lane with the biker almost on the opposite shoulder and we're both at full throttle and not letting up. We ran to 130 and I put several car lengths on him before slowing back to the speed limit. When he did pass me he took a hard look at the V8 Kompressor badge and just shook his head before motoring off.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 PM

e 55
Nice to get the nod from the crotch rocket jockey.

Last edited by pragmatic1; 09-17-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:25 AM

E63 AMG
Good kill! I'm sure he learned the lesson....dont buy a mustang.