Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Are you ready to lose all your financial assets by racing that guy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Are you ready to lose all your financial assets by racing that guy?

I'm sure you heard about it.

STREET-RACING HIT-AND-RUN DRIVER SOUGHT

http://abc7.com/news/2-pedestrians-k...nd-run/535300/

Everybody got arrested, even observers, 3 people charged with murder.

And here is the interesting part, like I said, are you ready.
http://www.lapdracing.com/StreetRacingcanbeMurder.html

Street racing can be murder.

The theory of “Implied Malice”

Let’s get one thing straight, you’re not a “street racer.” “Street racers” are those out of control
young guys who mostly drive Japanese “rice rockets.” They stage those dangerous late night
illegal drags races with crowds of spectators. You hate those guys because they often give
real “car guys,” like you, a bad name. You know what happens when the cops catch them, they
get arrested and their cars get crushed, and that’s fine with you. Those “street racers” are a
menace to the public and you think the cops should nail them whenever they can.

You’re fifty-something and a pretty regular “car guy.” Sure you got a few speeding tickets back
when you were a kid, but what car guy didn’t? You have always loved muscle cars and last
year you treated yourself to a ZO6 Corvette. Sure nobody needs more than the 500 stock
horsepower, but you still had to add the after-market exhaust, the high flow intake and a high-
performance computer chip. That’s what car guys do. You’re not going to race it, maybe just
some car shows.

One day you’re out driving and pull up to a red light. Up next to you pulls a new Dodge Charger
SRT-8. The driver looks over at you, some guy, mid 30’s, you don’t know him but you know
what he’s thinking. The lights turn green and you just do a quick jump to show him what a ZO6
can do. He stands on it too, but you still pull him by a few feet. You quickly back off at about
fifty, not too fast, but the other guy stays on it. The guy is about a block ahead, doing maybe
ninety, when he hits the mini-van. The mom driving failed to judge his speed and changed into
his lane ahead of him. The impact spreads fire and debris across six lanes of traffic. You stop
to help, but the guy driving the Dodge, the 28 year-old mom, her 9 year-old son, and her 4 year-
old daughter are all dead.

What was that stupid guy thinking? It was terrible accident, but at least you weren’t involved!
Reality check, in the eyes of the law and public, you engaged in an “impromptu street race”
and you are involved!

Based on witness accounts, the police will arrest you and you will be charged with at least four
counts of second-degree murder, and you will certainly be sued for financial damages by the
families of the victims, including the family of the guy driving the Dodge.

Your life, as you know it, is over….

The theory of “Implied Malice” is simple. If you engage in an activity that you know is illegal and
potentially dangerous, then you are held responsible for any negative results.

Think of it this way, you’re the get-away driver in bank robbery. If any one dies in the heist
(even one of your own gang and even though you’re outside in the car) you’re charged with
murder.

Prosecutors are now applying the same theory of “Implied Malice” to street racing.

Citrus Heights, Calif. - Investigators said the two cars were engaging in a street race when one
of the drivers lost control of his car and slammed into a tree. The guy driving was killed and his
passenger was badly injured.
Although the other driver was not involved in the actual crash, he was charged with murder in
the death of the other driver. The D.A. office is seeking a prison term of 15 years to life.

The D.A.'s office has filed second-degree murder charges in similar cases in the past and won.
A spokesperson said the fact that the race reached speeds of 70 to 80 miles an hour and took
place on a busy stretch of road shows that the racers demonstrated a conscious disregard for
human life with “malice implied”.
Charlotte, N.C. - A 44 year-old mother who turned herself in to police and admitted to driving a
car involved in a deadly street race has been charged with three counts of second-degree
murder.

Police said she was racing her Camaro against 20-year-old male earlier this month when he
crashed into another car, killing a woman, and her 2-year-old daughter.

The male faces three counts of second-degree murder and, although not involved in the crash,
the female is also facing three counts of second-degree murder. The Judge set her bond at $3
million dollars.

El Monte, California– Two guys, both friends, were racing when one car swerved across lanes,
traveled across the center median into opposing traffic and crashed into another car. The guy
was killed and four people inside the other car were seriously injured.

The other guy, who was not physically involved in the crash, was charged with one count of
murder; one count of vehicular manslaughter and four counts of reckless driving causing injury
– all felonies. Prosecutors asked for bail set at $1.1 million.

Australia- A Court found that a guy had “incited” the street race in which the other guy struck a
tree, instantly killing his two occupants.

A jury found the surviving racer guilty of the death of the passengers in the other car and guilty
of reckless conduct endangering the life of the other racer.

The Judge accepted the man’s behavior was out of character and unlikely to happen again,
however, the Judge said the sentence served as a general deterrence and that this was an
important consideration in the sentencing.
The guy was jailed for four years and eight months.

Orange County, California- Two motorcyclists racing each other on the freeway caused an
accident that killed a driver on the road north of Portola Parkway. The victim, identified as 46-
year-old Andrew Parker, was reportedly rear-ended by one of the motorcyclists. Parker died on
the scene.

Officials say the two motorcyclists were racing when one of the riders on a Yamaha slammed
into Parker’s vehicle. The impact of the crash caused Parker to lose control, go off the road,
roll over, and crash into a light pole. The motorcyclist who hit Parker is also reportedly in
serious condition in a local hospital with major injuries. California Highway Patrol investigators
are looking for the other motorcyclist who fled the scene.

Both motorcyclists will face a charge of criminal vehicular manslaughter, and attorneys for
Parker’s family said that they are both financially liable for the wrongful death.

Unfortunately, many of us are living in the past. We remember the “good old days” of cruising.
You know, “American Graffiti,” Woodward Avenue and Van Nuys Boulevard, where stop light
to stop light drag races were common, if not down- right American.

Well, things are different now! If the last street race from “American Graffiti” occurred today
and the guy who crashed the ’55 Chevy (a young Harrison Ford) or his passenger had died,
John Milner would be in prison for second-degree murder and his ’32 Ford Coupe, along with
all his other assets, would be gone!

So the next time you’re out driving your toy, feeling frisky, and somebody that thinks they’re
fast pulls up next to you, look over at the guy and ask yourself, “Am I really going to chance
going to prison and losing all my financial assets by racing that guy?!!”

For all of our sakes, I hope not.

Officer Sean Reinhardt reinsport@yahoo.com
LAPDRacing.com
Old 03-11-2015, 06:00 PM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2011 E550
Wow that's eye opening. I will definitely think twice before i have the urge to race some one on the street.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I choose to turn down the quick run now knowing these laws are in effect.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So, over 250 hits and only 2 posts.
Ouch...

I want to hear from all involved about your losses. Will be an interesting read.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
So if I am somewhere where a crime is committed by someone else its my fault too? So if I am at a grocery store buying food for my family on a Sunday and a guy comes in with a gun and holds up the place I guess I should be arrested/fined? I don't condone street racing. It just annoying to me that somehow, police can freely just label people that are at these things as "spectators" that are participating in the event.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
So if I am somewhere where a crime is committed by someone else its my fault too? So if I am at a grocery store buying food for my family on a Sunday and a guy comes in with a gun and holds up the place I guess I should be arrested/fined? I don't condone street racing. It just annoying to me that somehow, police can freely just label people that are at these things as "spectators" that are participating in the event.
You missed the intent part. In an illegal street race you are knowingly breaking the law. And by all accounts a street race is exceptionally dangerous (if you don't believe this, that's a problem). So by actively taking part in a dangerous illegal activity you are liable for any outcome of that dangerous activity. If you are getting groceries and someone robs the store you are not involved in the crime. If you drive him away from the crime scene that's a different story.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emilner
You missed the intent part. In an illegal street race you are knowingly breaking the law. And by all accounts a street race is exceptionally dangerous (if you don't believe this, that's a problem). So by actively taking part in a dangerous illegal activity you are liable for any outcome of that dangerous activity. If you are getting groceries and someone robs the store you are not involved in the crime. If you drive him away from the crime scene that's a different story.

Thank you Ed!
Not accusing you C280 Sport for reading "difficulty comprehension", but would you/could you thank such a post in case the $h!t hits the fan? And whatever you have/had is gone?

I'm just about to get some special ride. And guess what, I'll mount nice HD camera inside, just to catch me going veeeery slowly at every red light intersection, so I won't get wrongfully sued.
Think about that.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
This was a valuable read
Old 03-23-2015, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by Red Marko
Thank you Ed!
Not accusing you C280 Sport for reading "difficulty comprehension", but would you/could you thank such a post in case the $h!t hits the fan? And whatever you have/had is gone?

I'm just about to get some special ride. And guess what, I'll mount nice HD camera inside, just to catch me going veeeery slowly at every red light intersection, so I won't get wrongfully sued.
Think about that.
This happened to a guy I knew (Kevin Hart) back in the early 2000's. He had a supercharged Vette with NOS and was racing a Diablo on Long Beach Road in Oceanside. The Lambo came up on a Caddy driving normal in the left lane so he moved into oncoming traffic to get around him. In doing so he plowed into a Volvo heading the other way. Both the Lambo and the Volvo driver died and their wives were seriously hurt. Hart was convicted of manslaughter and spent quite some time in prison- not sure if he is out yet.

http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/sr010624.htm

About that special ride Marko- when does that K900 arrive?
Old 03-24-2015, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This happened to a guy I knew (Kevin Hart) back in the early 2000's. He had a supercharged Vette with NOS and was racing a Diablo on Long Beach Road in Oceanside. The Lambo came up on a Caddy driving normal in the left lane so he moved into oncoming traffic to get around him. In doing so he plowed into a Volvo heading the other way. Both the Lambo and the Volvo driver died and their wives were seriously hurt. Hart was convicted of manslaughter and spent quite some time in prison- not sure if he is out yet.

http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/sr010624.htm

About that special ride Marko- when does that K900 arrive?
That's what I'm talking about.
"Kill Stories" threads and young hot blooded guys being out of luck (yes, I admit, I was lucky quite few times) who lose everything in less than 5 seconds or so.

Re special ride, being of Italian heritage, it's delayed 3-4 weeks or so (which is normal in that part of Europe )

Don't worry, you will be one of the first ones to know and drive when it arrives
Old 03-25-2015, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s

I understand as does everyone else in the world that street racing is highly illegal. I would never condone it by any means as it is silly and dangerous. However, if I just watching say from the sidewalk and not participating in any event how can I be blamed or charged? That was my point...
Old 04-02-2015, 11:37 AM
PDC

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
Thank you.

This is the most valuable thread on the forum. Thank you for posting this.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
There is a stretch of HWY 31 that runs south of Indianapolis through the mostly bedroom community of Greenwood IN that is right out of American Graffiti on summer nights. Two lanes running north (sometimes three), the same south. The road is lined with businesses, virtually no residential. In the summer, every Saturday night after the businesses are closed and shoppers gone, people cruise up and down that strip well into the night. 99% of the traffic consists of people cruising, many anticipating green light digs with other cars.

The place is thrilling and electric on a Saturday night. Fast cars all around, the humid, but cooling summer evening air has a great feel to it. The smell of rubber smoke is often present and a big V8 reving high is a common sound in the distance. The "loop" is cool as it ends at the actual circle that gave the city its nick name. Then it is south again for one more trip, many in hopes of lining up at a red light next to someone deemed worthy of a quick drag race.

I haven’t lived in Indy for almost 4 years now. I must say, I have cruised that loop dozens of times and yes, I occasionally engaged with what was almost always American muscle thinking all German cars are slow. Most all of them got the opportunity to contemplate what the AMG on the back of the car stood for after a brief six or seven seconds at WOT. I was always careful as to where I chose to engage, but never considered what the guy next to me might end up doing and that I could be tied into his decisions under the theory of “Implied Malice”. Thanks for posting the article.

Last edited by cal1; 04-04-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
06' E55; 1995 E300D
Good food for thought...I never even thought of this angle.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG, 1989 348 Challenge, 1987 Testarossa, 1992 F40, 1989 Mondial t cab, 2001 X5 4.4 Sport
This is just one more piece of evidence of a government out of control with power, who only seeks to control.

I don't want to get into a debate over the pros and cons of street racing. Anyone who has done it, knows the risks. I don't know too many guys with even a little testosterone and a high hp car, that at some point flexed his right foot. It happens. Does one need to be careful. Of course. But the cases outlined are a gross over reach of government, and if we aren't careful, George Orwell will be even more right than he already is.
The following users liked this post:
sick430 (05-19-2016)
Old 06-14-2015, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ingenere
This is just one more piece of evidence of a government out of control with power, who only seeks to control.

I don't want to get into a debate over the pros and cons of street racing. Anyone who has done it, knows the risks. I don't know too many guys with even a little testosterone and a high hp car, that at some point flexed his right foot. It happens. Does one need to be careful. Of course. But the cases outlined are a gross over reach of government, and if we aren't careful, George Orwell will be even more right than he already is.
Are you ready to lose all your financial assets by racing that guy?-test_zpsshozchka.jpg
Old 08-17-2015, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benz
This typically plays out with police interrogating witnesses, who then incriminate themselves.
"You were racing, weren't you"
"Well, maybe a little, I only hit it for a few seconds about 5 miles back but the other person crashed 5 miles ahead"
Thinking you can reason.
But then you're in cuffs. And toast. Charged with murder.

Think carefully what you say to the police. If there's an accident, whether you want to even attend, or detour completely.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Originally Posted by Fudge Monkey
This typically plays out with police interrogating witnesses, who then incriminate themselves.
"Well, maybe a little, I only hit it for a few seconds about 5 miles back but the other person crashed 5 miles ahead"
Thinking you can reason.

Think carefully what you say to the police. If there's an accident, whether you want to even attend, or detour completely.

In principle, this is what's happened to good samaritans. "Better to not get involved."
Old 09-14-2015, 12:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rob CL
In principle, this is what's happened to good samaritans. "Better to not get involved."
Fairly new to the forum here, but I have to agree. I do NOT get involved any more no matter what. If I witness an accident, I'm getting the hell out of there. Too many victims and innocent bystanders have been on the receiving end of a lot of headaches that they didn't deserve because we live in a society of tattletales and people who make too many assumptions without fact. The lynch-mob mentality of Social Media is also to blame.

I also find it more than a bit irresponsible that we have a "Kill Stories" section in this forum. It's not my site and not my business, but to me, that's kind of like having a "Which liquor store did you rob today?" section in a forum that deals with law enforcement. Just my .02.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:41 AM

67 Camino
Van Nuys Blvd, I was there when all that was going on good times
Lots of organized street racing going on in the 70s/80s SFV was a great place to be.

Tend to agree on the kill section; Why not replace it with a track/dyno section where guys can post up vids, time slips etc etc from a TRACK.

Heck classy cars and women go together no? It could be done with good taste guarantee that would be popular.

Leave the st racing stuff for youtube; mbworld doesnt lose members, rep cleans up perhaps a tad.....or not. More clicks more traffic more sponsors no?
Win/win?!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem in LA like many places nationwide is where does one go to go race? Its a part of our culture and history slowly getting snuffed out over time.

People build homes next to a track and then complain its noisey

Enthusiasts period need a safe place to race. (wouldnt mind myself!)
It wont solve the problem but would sure help

Last edited by port haus; 03-09-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by port haus
Problem in LA like many places nationwide is where does one go to go race?
Where does one go to race living in LA, are you serious? SoCal has the highest concentration of road courses in the country, if not the world. Actually, when I moved to LA from Texas a few years ago is when I quit ST, way more fun hitting them corners. And HPDE's are so cheap in Cali too, compared to the rest of the states. Check out Shift S3ctor for some amazing straight line racing events: http://shift-s3ctor.com/upcoming-events/ . Also there are at least two 1/4 tracks in the vicinity of LA.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by port haus
Van Nuys Blvd, I was there when all that was going on good times
Lots of organized street racing going on in the 70s/80s SFV was a great place to be.

Tend to agree on the kill section; Why not replace it with a track/dyno section where guys can post up vids, time slips etc etc from a TRACK.

Leave the st racing stuff for youtube; mbworld doesnt lose members, rep cleans up perhaps a tad.....or not. More clicks more traffic more sponsors no?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem in LA like many places nationwide is where does one go to go race? Its a part of our culture and history slowly getting snuffed out over time.
I too hung out on Van Nuys Blvd during the '70s and '80s. It was a great place to be. Of course, all good things come to an end and due to a bunch of crybaby business owners and trumped-up accusations by the LAPD, that's all gone now. As a result, the crime rate increased. Way to go LA!

Finding a place off street to race is difficult because tracks don't want to have the liability. You see...we're now a society driven by lawsuits and people who can't accept responsibility for their own actions. So even though someone signs a waiver, if there's a crash and an injury, the "victim" will still file suit and try to blame the facility.

(BTW...I do NOT engage in or support street racing).
Old 05-11-2016, 11:42 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Thinking you can reason.

So let's play this out a bit. Where does the culpability end? Work with me on this fictitious and highly unlikely scenario but what is outlined above could be a party that never ends (other person crashes 5 miles ahead...).

A guy is out racing ALL NIGHT. He ends up racing 15 different cars and puts them all on video. He eventually is involved in a bad wreck at some point in the night where he ends up killing himself and injuring others.

As it turns out, everyone he had been racing earlier in the night were all tucked in bed and sleeping when his crash occurred. Authorities do their investigation and find the videos...

Do the authorities go track down all 15 of the cars he raced during the evening, file charges, proceed with legal proceedings, and eventually all 15 go to jail and lose all their assets for the racing that occurred earlier in the evening?

Last edited by BlackHammer; 05-12-2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
2014 E350 W212
One day you’re out driving and pull up to a red light. Up next to you pulls a new Dodge Charger SRT-8. The driver looks over at you, some guy, mid 30’s, you don’t know him but you know what he’s thinking. The lights turn green and you just do a quick jump to show him what a ZO6 can do. He stands on it too, but you still pull him by a few feet. You quickly back off at about fifty, not too fast, but the other guy stays on it. The guy is about a block ahead, doing maybe ninety, when he hits the mini-van. The mom driving failed to judge his speed and changed into his lane ahead of him. The impact spreads fire and debris across six lanes of traffic. You stop to help, but the guy driving the Dodge, the 28 year-old mom, her 9 year-old son, and her 4 year-old daughter are all dead.

What was that stupid guy thinking? It was terrible accident, but at least you weren’t involved! Reality check, in the eyes of the law and public, you engaged in an “impromptu street race” and you are involved!

Based on witness accounts, the police will arrest you and you will be charged with at least four counts of second-degree murder, and you will certainly be sued for financial damages by the families of the victims, including the family of the guy driving the Dodge.

Your life, as you know it, is over….

The theory of “Implied Malice” is simple. If you engage in an activity that you know is illegal and potentially dangerous, then you are held responsible for any negative results.
Great thought provoking post Red Marko.

All tragic scenarios no doubt, and in no way am I defending "street racing", but in my opinion, specific to the quoted scenario, (and please remember, this is for discussion purposes only and in no way legal advice or defense) if the speed limit on the street in question is 50, and you did not exceed this limit, only accelerated quickly to it, an average criminal attorney would be able to defend, as you did not engage in criminal activity, at a maximum maybe unsafe driving for conditions if acceleration to speed limit was severe. If during this acceleration to speed limit the other party (guy in Charger) assumed this was a “street race”, that’s on him. Reasonable Determinable Consequence, the reasonable ability to determine the outcome or consequence of one’s own actions, what the other guy thought because of your actions is on him. Now, if the speed limit was 40 and it’s determined you were speeding, that complicates things somewhat. Keep in mind, lawsuits can be filed regardless of criminal culpability.

Despite my comments, I think the point of the OP is that “street racing” is not a smart activity to partake in… want to go fast and race? Take it to the track.

Last edited by PatrixUSA; 05-15-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Great thought provoking post Red Marko.

All tragic scenarios no doubt, and in no way am I defending "street racing", but in my opinion, specific to the quoted scenario, (and please remember, this is for discussion purposes only and in no way legal advice or defense) if the speed limit on the street in question is 50, and you did not exceed this limit, only accelerated quickly to it, an average criminal attorney would be able to defend, as you did not engage in criminal activity, at a maximum maybe unsafe driving for conditions if acceleration to speed limit was severe. If during this acceleration to speed limit the other party (guy in Charger) assumed this was a “street race”, that’s on him. Reasonable Determinable Consequence, the reasonable ability to determine the outcome or consequence of one’s own actions, what the other guy thought because of your actions is on him. Now, if the speed limit was 40 and it’s determined you were speeding, that complicates things somewhat. Keep in mind, lawsuits can be filed regardless of criminal culpability.

Despite my comments, I think the point of the OP is that “street racing” is not a smart activity to partake in… want to go fast and race? Take it to the track.
Well said but don't forget "intent", "probable cause", and "proximity" to the crash. Let's pretend the z06 driver went up to 70 mph and "responsibly" backed off. How/why is it on him for the crash 5 miles ahead? The other drivers actions could have been "provoked" by a race 2 hours earlier, a video game, watching the NHRA, or street race videos in YouTube...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are you ready to lose all your financial assets by racing that guy?