Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

"speedracer" vs a Maybach 62....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i drive an ///M6
"speedracer" vs a Maybach 62....

...i had the undeniable priviledge of encountering a maybach 62 on the freeway yesterday. 1st, i must say, that thing is absolutely HUGE- and it does bare a striking resemblence to the new cls coming out--albeit s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d ... anyway, i started this with kinda a semi slow "rice by" on his left at about 80 mph, and looked over, nodded and proceeded on. we stayed cruising at that speed for about 10 miles or so, with him about 10 lengths behind and i could see him each time he pass another car and switched lanes,(he "weaved" pretty well) as those headlights really aimed for the sky each time he "juiced" it-- as we approached a section that opened up to 5 lanes wide, he was about 3-4 cars behind me and i saw him "hit it" -- as did i- all up to 130 or so, and to my suprise, i did "slowly" walk away from him. VERY impressive for such a monster of a car. we exited the same ramp, and he grinned and nodded (he had a maryland dealer plate, so i'm not too sure he's the owner)- which was pretty cool. with all that i've read on those cars, i wasn't sure how i'd fare against him, but chalk up 1 more feather in 'me cap, mate. weather was perfect-- about 50 degrees and dry. "speedracer" just clocked 50k, and i gotta say, she feels like she's getting stronger-- a "g-tech" recorded a 4.5 sec 0-60 (dunno how accurate that is, but it feels wicked). man, i love this f'in car!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'07 Carrera S, '31 A 5W hot rod, 4Runner. Sold CLK55

Nice, I don't think that tank could run with your car. Though I wouldn't mind it for a long road trip
Old 11-04-2004, 11:07 AM

2000 CLK 320 (stock)
i always belived that maybach's primary focus was comfort as opposed to performance, even though their engine is nothing to laugh at.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,301 Likes on 2,047 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The Maybach's are certainly very fast cars, but certainly no match to some AMG's (in our case our SL55, wife driving and I was drivng the Maybach 57).

Very good and smooth acceleration, just a bit of turbo lag and lazy transmission shift pattern. I believe a Maybach will easily beat any normally aspirated AMG's, especially at higher speeds; the V12 has significantly more power reserves than a CLK55 and (ungoverned) has a higher top-speed.
If it's a dealer plate car, chances are that the car has under 1000 miles on it and that the driver simply eased it to a higher speed without stepping on it...

With 50K and swift driving, it sounds like that your engine is just about broken in , but 4.5 sec from 0-60 sounds just too good to be true.You may want to go onto a track for a real-time check...

Wolfman
Old 11-08-2004, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
The Maybach's are certainly very fast cars, but certainly no match to some AMG's (in our case our SL55, wife driving and I was drivng the Maybach 57).

Very good and smooth acceleration, just a bit of turbo lag and lazy transmission shift pattern. I believe a Maybach will easily beat any normally aspirated AMG's, especially at higher speeds; the V12 has significantly more power reserves than a CLK55 and (ungoverned) has a higher top-speed.
If it's a dealer plate car, chances are that the car has under 1000 miles on it and that the driver simply eased it to a higher speed without stepping on it...

With 50K and swift driving, it sounds like that your engine is just about broken in , but 4.5 sec from 0-60 sounds just too good to be true.You may want to go onto a track for a real-time check...

Wolfman
4.5 is an excellent figure. but then you have to take the size of the car into account, its not meants to outrun any AMG 55's...but imagine if the maybach's engine was in a merc, that i'd like to see. would it be similar to the AMG 65?
Old 11-08-2004, 09:24 AM

The Maybach 62 will do 0-60 in 5.2 seconds.

The Maybach 57 will do it in 4.9

The 57 is about 6000 lbs,
and the 62 is approx 6700 pounds.

Car is amazing to drive. Just set the suspension to firm and the driving move to Standard instead of Comfort and you can shift quicker.

The car puts out 664 ft/lbs of torque at 2300 RPM
Old 11-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Maybach_driver
The Maybach 62 will do 0-60 in 5.2 seconds.

The Maybach 57 will do it in 4.9

The 57 is about 6000 lbs,
and the 62 is approx 6700 pounds.

Car is amazing to drive. Just set the suspension to firm and the driving move to Standard instead of Comfort and you can shift quicker.

The car puts out 664 ft/lbs of torque at 2300 RPM
The shift pattern doesn't change when using the standard setting. In good Mercedes tradition, the S setting simply starts the car in 1st gear while the C setting starts in 2nd.

When it comes to the suspension, the firm setting works just like in the S-Class (with Airmatic), a bit stiffer, but it still leans quite a bit going into a curve. It makes for a great ride, but I would have preferred the ABC suspension in it...

Wolfman
Old 11-08-2004, 10:46 AM

The Comfort Pattern does start in 2nd gear. but it hold out the shifts for a longer period so its a smoother shift even at WOT.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BANNED
What a goofy name for a car
They should have named it the Mayflower. It is a boat, afterall.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Maybach_driver
The Comfort Pattern does start in 2nd gear. but it hold out the shifts for a longer period so its a smoother shift even at WOT.
I have not nor would I ever would want to use the C (or the previous W) setting, but I did check into what the changes are and it DOES adjust the shift pattern to stay in the lower rpm's and increase traction. I have not seen any specifics that it doesn't start in second, something Mercedes has done for many years for smoother starts.

Wolfman
Old 11-09-2004, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by tyro
What a goofy name for a car
They should have named it the Mayflower. It is a boat, afterall.
The Maybach Name has been around since 1900's its names after the creator. WIlhem (sp) worked with Diamler to create the first mercedes, during that time his some Karl started Maybach and then his father came over to work with him on the luxury coaches.