M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Atlanta Dealers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta Dealers

I just found this forum (after many searches) and have read all the current posts and many from the old forum. Thanks for all the good information.

I am looking to purchase an 02 ML soon and have found one that meets my needs in the Atlanta area. Unfortunately it's on the far side of town and I've been told the dealerships in the area don't trade for vehicles.

Does anyone have advice on which dealer in Atlanta provides the best after-purchase service, etc.? Please relate your experiences with RBM, Atlanta Classic Cars, Athens, and Carriage.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:31 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 ML 320
I know them all....

Bill:
I just bought my new ML from Carriage House. They have the smallest of the dealerships here, but they had the best price. So far, I have liked the service I've received at Carriage, but it is a pain to get there and (at least until recently) they are the only dealership that doesn't offer Mercedes loaner cars....you get some crappy rental from Enterprise.

My last ML came from Atlanta Classic Cars. WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER BUYING A CAR THERE!!!!!! They could GIVE me a new car and I'd have to think about it!!! The worst service I have ever experienced. The worst attitude once the deal was signed!! Basically, it is dealers like this that give all dealers a bad reputation!!!!! (You can tell, I don't have any strong feelings about this....) I can't say enough bad stuff about them, but I'll stop here....

RBM has the best overall service department. They really focus on post-sale service. BUT, they are by far the most expensive during the sales cycle.....I guess you get what you pay for. I have actually used the RBM service department for a few things on my ML (even though I didn't purchase there) and they did a real good job. The only down-side is that they won't give you a loaner car since you're not a customer.

So basically, you're safe with Carriage or RBM. You can get free service anywhere as long as you are in warantee but you can only get a loaner at the dealer you purchased your car.

Hope that helps.
DRB
Old 06-20-2002, 08:08 AM

Re: Atlanta dealers

Bill,

Just read your post and thought I'd offer my 0.02 About a year ago my wife and I were shopping around for a new SUV and the M-class was one of our final 3 choices. We visited ACC and couldn't wait to leave the showroom after about 15 minutes ! The attitude that was present in that place was truly poor. They basically thought we were a joke and would be doing us a favor by selling us a car. Being a married couple in our late-20's we obviously didn't meet the "demographic" of a typical buyer so they didn't try hardly at all. The other dealership we visited was MB of Athens. The dealership was only a 30 minute drive up 316 for us from Lawrenceville. We worked with a lady by the name of Wendy Bearden (beer-den). In a few words she was courteous, knowledgeable and a straight-shooter. Although we didn't close the deal on an M-class due to time constraints (we needed to be in a vehicle faster than one could be built in Alabama) I would certainly recommend MB of Athens if you are on the north side of Atlanta. Sooner or later MB will place a dealership in the Alpharetta or Duluth area, but until then Athens is like a well-kept secret. Best of luck to you on your search !

TJF
Old 06-20-2002, 01:10 PM

Re: I know them all....

Originally posted by bottedi
RBM has the best overall service department. They really focus on post-sale service. BUT, they are by far the most expensive during the sales cycle.....I guess you get what you pay for. I have actually used the RBM service department for a few things on my ML (even though I didn't purchase there) and they did a real good job. The only down-side is that they won't give you a loaner car since you're not a customer.
RBM is my first choice since I live between Jasper and Dawsonville, but I was concerned about their willingness to negotiate. Do you have any more to say about them (pros & cons)?

I've heard that Carriage has an Airport dropoff program; do you know anything about that? It could fit nicely with my schedule.

TIA,
Bill
Old 06-20-2002, 03:08 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 ML 320
Some more info.

My father has bought several cars from RBM. You will not get the best deal there, but overall they are a solid dealership with good post-sales service. Since I personally believe the real value of a dealer is in their ability to help you AFTER the sale, I think they are a good choice.

Carriage does offer the airport drop-off program, but personally that does not appeal to me. From what I understand (and I may be wrong) the way it works is that you drive to Carriage House, some guys gets into YOUR with you, drives you to the airport, and then drives it back to the dealer. Since I don't like other folks driving my car (particularly not the type that are typically assigned this task), I never make use of this service.

Again: Either dealer is going to be better then ACC, so you are probably safe either way. (You might want to try that Athens dealer, too...I have no experience with them, but it sounds interesting.)

DRB
Old 06-22-2002, 01:57 PM

ml320
Bought my 2001 from RBM. Serviced at RBM. Will buy my next from them.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:30 PM

2000 ML 320
ML IS TRASH

I bought my ML from Atlanta Classic. Unlike the other people, I had a good experience in the showroom and I have a great service advisor. I just have problem after problem with this vehicle. I am now involved in a lawsuit with MBUSA. Please save yourself from the trouble and buy a BMW X5. That will be my next vehicle.

Jonathan
Old 07-01-2002, 03:06 PM

Re: ML IS TRASH

Originally posted by JJunkins
Please save yourself from the trouble and buy a BMW X5. That will be my next vehicle.
As I currently own two BMW's, I would prefer to stay with the Mark. UNfortunately, the X5 doesn't even offer a third seat.

Bill
Old 07-01-2002, 03:18 PM

2000 ML 320
3rd seat?

Who cares about the 3rd seat in the ML anyway. The 3rd seat in the ML is way too small to seat anyone besides kiddies. An ML is 2 nice of a vehicle to have kiddie's slinging food and drink everywhere. If you want a third seat, by a Denali Yukon XL. Those are way nice and will nice 10x as long!!!! Do you know the problems that I have had with mine? Email me and I will send yo the EXACT email that I sent to the President of MBUSA, Paul Halata.

JJunkins@interactsys.com
Old 07-04-2002, 01:32 AM

Re: 3rd seat?

Originally posted by JJunkins
Who cares about the 3rd seat in the ML anyway [?]
Thanks for asking. My four boys and little girl care about the third seat.

Looking forward to your email,
Bill
Old 07-06-2002, 04:37 PM

Snooty Dealers

Hi,

To those that received attitude from dealers. The best revenge (to me anyway) is to photograph yourself in your new ML while shaking the other dealer's hand. Send the photo to the snooty dealership and let them know what they missed and why! I've got a 12-year-old Nissan Stanza (Betsy) that I'm driving around while I save for my ML 500. I've been to some dealers who see Betsy and won't even say "hey dog". But some walk up and greet me with a smile and ask if I need assistance. It's such dealerships that will get my business.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:30 PM
Almost a Member!

1998 ML320
This may be a little late but... I bought my 1998 ML320 new from ACC and it was a very positive experience. My salesman was Britt Kaminski. I've gone down there several times since for test drives (planning my next purchase) and he's always been very polite and helpful. I have also talked to a few other salesmen there on occasion and not had a problem.

Their service has usually been very good, the main problem being the wait for an appointment (they're busy). If you bought your car from them and you make an apppintment you get a MB loaner. If you don't make an appoinment you get a Honda. If you didn't buy your car from them I guess you have to pay for a rental.

They are suppposedly moving to the I-85 - Hwy 316 interchange area (somewhere north of and within the 'V') next winter if that helps anyone. It's actually farther away from me but I'll have to live with it. The main reason for the move is so they can expand their service department; they're out of space where they are now.

Also, a recent Star magazine article says MBUSA is opening up around 16 new dealerships in the next few years, and they think Atlanta will get one (or maybe more) of them.

RBM and ACC are supposedly owned by the same family so you'd expect similar customer experiences at both.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 ML 320
ACC

shkeller55:

I guess everyone has different expectations / experiences when it comes to car dealers, but I still have to say that I have never had a worse experience then I did with Atlanta Classic Cars after buying my 1998 ML.

The sales person was fine - I agree with your assessment of the sales folks - but who cares about them!!! I do so much research before buying a car that I really don't need a sales person - they just get in the way. Sales people only cost you additional in overhead!

It was the service department that was beyond hideous! They were incompetent! I complained of a rattle in the roof-lining and they took my entire interior apart to replace the roof-liner even tho the car was only 3 weeks old. Then, they didn't put it back together again correctly and nothing worked inside anymore.....the seatbelts fell off their hinges, the platic interior panels fell off randomly! I had to threaten legal action to get them to finally put the shop foreman on it! Even after it was "fixed" it never felt (or smelled) new again...it was a nightmare!

Apart from this specific eperience, all my other encounters w/ ACC service were terrible as well. They never had commonly required parts in stock and I always had to return to get simple stuff re-fixed. They never had the car ready when promised. The car was usually covered with greesy finger-prints on the inside after each visit. It took forever to get appointments - even for the basis stuff like brake pads.....I could go on for pages......

What got me the most, however, was their attitude. They couldn't have cared less!!!! On the occasions that I complained, I simply got blank stares or unemotional "sorry sir" responses. It was like dealing with a Chevy dealership.

Anyway - I want to spare any fellow Atlanta Forum member of making the mistake and dealing with ACC. There are plenty of other choices in the area and I would sooner drive to Florida rather then deal with them again!
Old 10-26-2002, 09:41 AM

2000 ML320 Still have it. Safe depenable vehicle. Why get rid of it?
LOL Bob -- that is an awesome idea! The picture of you at another dealer . . .
truly brilliant
Old 10-28-2002, 04:00 PM

2000 ML 320
ML IS TRASH

If you want a third row seat, get something that is supposed to have a 3rd row seat. It is way too dangerous to have 2 kids in the back seat. Unless you are willing to risk 2 lives by putting them in the trunk, go right ahead. Since the last time I posted, my car has been in the shop 3 more times. Once was on Labor Day, in Tennessee and I was on my way home.

How about this for safety. Under each seat is a sensor which monitors weight and decides whether or not a person is in the seat or a car seat or some groceries. Well, under my passenger seat, the sensor gave out. That caused the passenger airbags (dash and door) to disable themselves. The only clue that I had something wrong would be, everytime some one rode with me, the "SRS" light would come on every once in a while. What if I had a wreck and the airbag failed causing a fatality. Thats a risk I cannot take. And may I remind you, there are no airbags in the rear, nor is there any kind of whiplash protection. Get something that can save your children man. Stop thinking about yourself.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SLK-280
sweet home Alabama

If you want good service and don't mind the 2 hour drive, try Crown Automobile in Birmingham. Their classic Alabama redneck approach is better than any other. That's the only place I go to get my car serviced if I need a dealer to do it. They also have a whole lot more M Classes than ACC because people in Alabama are buying a lot of them to help revenue here. You see them everywhere!