M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Snow Chains

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Chains

Hi guys! I am a ML 350 special edition owner and i am looking for some advices for driving in snow conditions. It is usefull to have snow chains with me or not. Regards Angel.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Originally Posted by cv95602
Hi guys! I am a ML 350 special edition owner and i am looking for some advices for driving in snow conditions. It is usefull to have snow chains with me or not. Regards Angel.
Its a 4wd vechicle, so unless you have summer tires, you dont need chains. I pulled my ML55 out of 3 feet of snow without trying, on nearly bald michelin all season tires. The new pirellis I have now are even more incredible in the snow.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML430
Originally Posted by cv95602
You do no need chains..... The ML has a very capable full time 4 wheel drive system.... Just make sure you have some good all season tires like Michelin Cross Terrains, and you are set.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:37 AM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by 00ML430 Bulldog
You do no need chains..... The ML has a very capable full time 4 wheel drive system.... Just make sure you have some good all season tires like Michelin Cross Terrains, and you are set.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:53 AM
X72

Honda Accord
Originally Posted by Militant-Grunt
Its a 4wd vechicle, so unless you have summer tires, you dont need chains. I pulled my ML55 out of 3 feet of snow without trying, on nearly bald michelin all season tires. The new pirellis I have now are even more incredible in the snow.
This, in a nutshell, is the reason why you tend to see flipped over SUVs or all wheel drive Audis off the road at the bottom of long downhill grades when the roads are icy. You don't realize how little steering and braking traction you have when you accelerate unlike in a 2 wheel drive vehicle which reminds you that it is is slippery when you accelerate from a stop.

As to the first poster, chains on a 4 wheel drive vehicle are useful if you are driving off road in deep mud or snow. If you are in California and are required to carry chains when travelling to the ski areas, you can buy some but you will probably never use them. If the conditions require 4 wheel drive with chains, they usually just close the road.
William
2003 E320
Old 01-17-2006, 11:40 AM

2000 ML430
Originally Posted by X72
This, in a nutshell, is the reason why you tend to see flipped over SUVs or all wheel drive Audis off the road at the bottom of long downhill grades when the roads are icy. You don't realize how little steering and braking traction you have when you accelerate unlike in a 2 wheel drive vehicle which reminds you that it is is slippery when you accelerate from a stop.

As to the first poster, chains on a 4 wheel drive vehicle are useful if you are driving off road in deep mud or snow. If you are in California and are required to carry chains when travelling to the ski areas, you can buy some but you will probably never use them. If the conditions require 4 wheel drive with chains, they usually just close the road.
William
2003 E320
Again your ML is very capable in the snow and in icy conditions If you drive it within reason. You cannot defeat laws of physics. I have been driving my ML for 6years and driven in snow and icy conditions and have never used or needed snow chains...... never flipped my ML either.

Last edited by 00ML430 Bulldog; 01-17-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:52 AM
X72

Honda Accord
00ML430 Bulldog, I wasn't implying that you are a careless driver. What I was referring to is the comment Military Grunt made about driving his ML55 on "nearly bald Michelin all season tires." This driving all wheel drive vehicles with balding all season tires is a recipe for disaster for some drivers because they get the "I am invincible in my SUV feeling" when starting only to learn how little traction they have when they have to stop or steer.

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
he wasnt refering to being invincible, his tires were bald... ALTHOUGH Grunt sometimes has the Im invincible attitude in the family ML55, lol Even though he wont admit it(hows that three wheel motion?)

I have summer tires on the ML currently, the past two years I have had snow tires and the ML is more then capable on the road again with in reason. With summer tires it moves in the snow but it quite frequently lights the lamp(ESP warning light) often with a sometimes heavy foot. Snow chains... I bet are not neccesary but at least you may need snow tires or an all season tire.
-Pete
Old 01-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Dealer doesn't recommend snow chains???

I had a similar question and called the MB dealer in Bellevue. Their response: MB doesn't recommend snow chains on the ML because it messes the ABS and traction electronics and sends wrong signals. But, if you must, don't drive more than 20 miles in it.

It's a response that didn't make too much sense to me, although I could see reasons for it. The manual says use chains on all vehicles approved by MB and dealer recommended. Huh?

Anyone else received such responses?

I'm heading to Crystal Mt so I am thinking of getting them just in case.
Thanks,
Old 01-28-2006, 10:00 PM

2000 ML430
Originally Posted by vsamak
I had a similar question and called the MB dealer in Bellevue. Their response: MB doesn't recommend snow chains on the ML because it messes the ABS and traction electronics and sends wrong signals. But, if you must, don't drive more than 20 miles in it.

It's a response that didn't make too much sense to me, although I could see reasons for it. The manual says use chains on all vehicles approved by MB and dealer recommended. Huh?

Anyone else received such responses?

I'm heading to Crystal Mt so I am thinking of getting them just in case.
Thanks,
You don't need them..
Old 01-29-2006, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
he wasnt refering to being invincible, his tires were bald... ALTHOUGH Grunt sometimes has the Im invincible attitude in the family ML55, lol Even though he wont admit it(hows that three wheel motion?)

I have summer tires on the ML currently, the past two years I have had snow tires and the ML is more then capable on the road again with in reason. With summer tires it moves in the snow but it quite frequently lights the lamp(ESP warning light) often with a sometimes heavy foot. Snow chains... I bet are not neccesary but at least you may need snow tires or an all season tire.
-Pete
IT DIDNT FLIP DID IT?! =P

ML55 > ALL