M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Are squeaky brakes normal for ML500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 ML 500
Are squeaky brakes normal for ML500?

Hello, all.

I just bought a used, "dealer-driven" 2005 ML500 (12k miles) around Christmas from a respectable MB dealer. During the test drive, there was a very loud squeaking from the Brakes (usually only when I was coming to a complete stop.). At first the dealer gave me the song & dance about "build up" from the car sitting, etc. But I insisted on a brake inspection as part of the sale.

The dealer inspected front & back pads/rotors and said "there was some scoring, but overall looked okay". But they offered to change the front pads/rotors for free in good faith, leaving the back as-is. Things were great for about 2 days, but now the consistent loud squeaking is back.

We've gone about 500 miles since then and nothing had changed. I've tried car washes to clean the wheels, no luck. If this had been my old SUV, I would have sworn it was metal on metal sound of pads on a rotor. But overall the ML500 brakes great and I never hear the noise when just slowing down.

Since this is my first ML500, is this normal?!? While my MB dealer tells me everything looks good, I've never heard any SUV ALWAYS SQUEAK SO LOUDLY when coming to a complete stop. Do I need a second opinion? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam

Chicago, IL
Old 01-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Sam, all MLs are prone to squealling... I think its a combination of pad materials and rotors. Have you seated your pads correctly for the front? Your rear pads are already as broken in as they are gonna get

-Pete
Old 01-16-2006, 04:36 PM

2005 ML 500
Question

Hi, Pete.

Unfortunately I didn't know anything about "seating my pads" until you just mentioned it. So after a quick Google on what the heck it means, my answer is "no".

We've already put about 250-300 miles on the car since the new Pads were put in. Is it too late to "seat" them?

Thanks,
Sam

Originally Posted by 55fanatic
Sam, all MLs are prone to squealling... I think its a combination of pad materials and rotors. Have you seated your pads correctly for the front? Your rear pads are already as broken in as they are gonna get

-Pete

Last edited by ssarull; 01-16-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
hmm Im not sure, it couldnt hurt to try doing it now right? Just warm them up appropriatly and then its time to have some fun. You know Propper safety is a chore, lol
Old 01-16-2006, 04:51 PM
ON PROBATION

No, it is not too late...now...NIKE! LOL
Old 01-17-2006, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
All of the V8 ML's have brake squeal to an extent. You can minimize it by using the new type pads and doing the install correctly with the anti squeal paste. On my ML500 (W163) I got it down to the point where they only squealed when cold. Most of the squeal at least on mine came from the rear wheels. The 320's have virtually no squeal unless aftermarket pads had been installed or the rotors were worn or, they were incorrectly installed. I understand that there is now a bulletin on the squeal correction on the ML500.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML430
Originally Posted by ssarull
Hello, all.

I just bought a used, "dealer-driven" 2005 ML500 (12k miles) around Christmas from a respectable MB dealer. During the test drive, there was a very loud squeaking from the Brakes (usually only when I was coming to a complete stop.). At first the dealer gave me the song & dance about "build up" from the car sitting, etc. But I insisted on a brake inspection as part of the sale.

The dealer inspected front & back pads/rotors and said "there was some scoring, but overall looked okay". But they offered to change the front pads/rotors for free in good faith, leaving the back as-is. Things were great for about 2 days, but now the consistent loud squeaking is back.

We've gone about 500 miles since then and nothing had changed. I've tried car washes to clean the wheels, no luck. If this had been my old SUV, I would have sworn it was metal on metal sound of pads on a rotor. But overall the ML500 brakes great and I never hear the noise when just slowing down.

Since this is my first ML500, is this normal?!? While my MB dealer tells me everything looks good, I've never heard any SUV ALWAYS SQUEAK SO LOUDLY when coming to a complete stop. Do I need a second opinion? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam

Chicago, IL
Yes your ML500 brakes are prone to squeeling..... If not installed with care.... I do my own brake pad change. It helps to clean all brake parts with brake cleaner, Installing anti-squeek paste between the pads and shims, and bed the new pads after installation. I have no squeeling brakes on my ML430 which has the same type brakes as your ML500
Old 01-17-2006, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Originally Posted by ssarull
Hello, all.

Thanks,
Sam

Chicago, IL
You should hear mine...

Sqqueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeel

(apply harder and it goes away )

Stopped.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:11 AM

ML500
the squeeking is soOoOoo embarassing. people think i need a brake job.
tried everything. the GREENSTUFF pads,HAWKS, OEM w/TEFLON paste and the dam truck STILL squeekkkY!riding on cross drills. and still squeeky,
but if i spray brake cleaner all over the rotor and caliper it will go a away for a few days. i cant stand it!
Old 01-25-2006, 01:12 PM

2005 ML 500
Since my original posting, I've learned about a Nov. 2005 Technical Service Bulletin (T-42-10-18E) for the ML500 Brake Squeal.

I'm attaching all 3 pages, or here is the direct link:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-...18E/index.html

So I printed this TSB and took it back to my MB dealer. They applied the changes to both Front & Back brakes. (They claimed that "any TSB would have been applied before", yet they did it again. Hmmm.....) There was no charge.

Anyway -- my brake squeal has been reduced by 90%. I'll take it.

By the way, this TSB called for "Brake Paste" to be inserted. Does anyone know how long this "paste" will last? Will it last until my next brake pad/rotor replacement?

Hope this helps out.
Attached Thumbnails Are squeaky brakes normal for ML500?-page1.gif   Are squeaky brakes normal for ML500?-page2.gif   Are squeaky brakes normal for ML500?-page3.gif  

Last edited by ssarull; 01-25-2006 at 01:30 PM.