M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Something kinda sad happened...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
School bus
Something kinda sad happened...

Yesterday in friday's commute home, my gf was driving my ML back from work, she got involved in a 3 car accident. She smashed in a Jeep Cherokee and some construction truck smashed into her. This happened along the westbound Hwy 24 in the tunnel in Walnut Creek, CA for those guys who know where it happened. It caused a freaking backup and was on the traffic news. I was kinda pissed when she told me that on the phone but I tried to tell myself it's only a car and I can always get another one, good thing she's fine and in walking condition.

The front end of the ML looks pretty damm smashed to me but I gotta say I was pretty impressed with it. I would speculate in a lesser vehicle it would have been worse. CHP speculated she probably hit the Jeep around 45-50 mph. The rear end of the ML was not too bad, did dent the hatch door and break the rear bumper. Here's a funny note, since I had a trailer hitch sticking out at the back, the contruction truck suffered minimal damage accept a ripped bumper and a punctured transmission cooler hence it was disabled! That was all it took to take the F350 out of commission

According to my gf, right after the collision, the seatbelts locked up solid and the Teleaid called MB SOS automatically but here's the funny thing, the airbag didn't deploy. One of the CHP was trying to be funny, said the ML is a great "crash car" I am still kinda silently pissy with my gf. I do/did like my ML a lot. I put 80K in it from day one and it;s been totally trouble free for me. This is my 1st MB for me, I gotta say I am sold on it's solid engineering, it may have some sub-standard dealers customer service issues but I am pretty confident if the ML is written off, I will get inline to go buy another MB product. Life's precious, man! I will try to post some pics later.

Here's a question, at what point does a insurance company typically "total" and write off the car? I think the repair estimate is probably going to be around 12-14K. The Blue book on the car is probably around 20-25K, I really want them to total it and call it a day.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
no way its worth 20-25k with 80k miles on it.post pics. but i bet i see total.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I was in an accident just recently too.

Not nearly as bad though. I was stopping for a red light and a guy in a civic hit me. The rear bumper is a little dinged up, and the trailer hitch cover fell off. Going to sand it smooth and get a new cover thing.

This is the second time my Ml has been rear-ended. The first time a Kia hit it. The Kia looked destroyed from the front, but the ML only had to replace the rear bumper. Yay MB!
Old 05-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
I was also impressed with my ML... I went in to a rock retaining wall at like 10-15mph hit it hard enough where the front end jumped of the ground... I would say 3 inches or so Front bumper broke and some other stuff too... Depending on what is damaged no way it could be 12k... if its just body damage, if you have hardware broken or a bent frame then you might be up there. But my ML looked pretty trashed and body work only came to $1900 New bumper, fender flairs, and all the trimming inside

Good luck with everything and keep us updated...
Old 05-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
oh yeah, airbag wont deploy if she has her seatbelt off
Old 05-14-2006, 07:54 PM

School bus
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
oh yeah, airbag wont deploy if she has her seatbelt off
Her seatbelt was LOCKED IN Solid! It's like the pre-tensioner in the seatbelt was activated or something.....
Old 05-14-2006, 08:01 PM

School bus
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
I was also impressed with my ML... I went in to a rock retaining wall at like 10-15mph hit it hard enough where the front end jumped of the ground... I would say 3 inches or so Front bumper broke and some other stuff too... Depending on what is damaged no way it could be 12k... if its just body damage, if you have hardware broken or a bent frame then you might be up there. But my ML looked pretty trashed and body work only came to $1900 New bumper, fender flairs, and all the trimming inside

Good luck with everything and keep us updated...
Well, I know it going to need a new hood, lights, radiator, left and right fenders, rear hatch, front and rear bumper and who knows what else under the hood...... Bottomline, I was impressed with the way the car held up, no hesitation picking up a new one if this is a goner..

On a different note, couple mths back, some kid ran into my Land Rover, looks really minor to me, changed the rear bumper, lights, rear quarter panel, bill total 5.5K! Did I get jeeb? High End shop? Life in Nor Cal? Who knows? Ins. paid. The shop had a few Bentleys, a Lambo in repair(90K job per the shop mgr)
Old 05-16-2006, 04:07 PM

School bus
Originally Posted by pointman
no way its worth 20-25k with 80k miles on it.post pics. but i bet i see total.
Yup, the car is pretty much a goner!! Initial repair estimate is 18K, offered 2 options by ins, have the car repaired or take check for 26,345.00 including pro-rated tax paid. Time to go get new ML, this time gf will be full time passenger!

Can't seem to upload pic, says file is too big?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
dammmmmmmn!!!! you made out like a bandit. if i were you, id cash that badboy quick. congrats.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:33 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML430
Take the check, don't bother fixing it...

BTW, how did she hit someones jeep ?

Last edited by Benz_nut; 05-17-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:03 PM

School bus
no fixing.... took check already. They actually had to tear the car down further to assess any hidden damages. All in all, it went smooth. I still need to figure how to damm post the pic.....
Old 05-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Glad to hear that your girlfriend is safe. The ML did it's job perfectly in protecting her.

Regarding the TeleAid and the SOS. The airbag doesn't have to deploy for it to contact TeleAid. If the emergency seatbelt tensioners are activated (the locked up seatbelts), then TeleAid is notified immediately. It's one of those little things that you have to be greatful for.