M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

does any one have a preformance chip on there ml

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does any one have a preformance chip on there ml

can i get a preformance chip on a ml320 and if i could which one and is it worth it would i get power out of it
Old 06-15-2006, 11:42 AM

2001 ML320
I second that....
Old 06-16-2006, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Try Powerchips Ecu update, Ive heard they are the best for the ML's
Old 06-17-2006, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
No mod is worth it for the $$ on an ML. At most you will get 10-15 HP ( most chips on NA german cars give you about 5 hp gain, I know on the M3 they give you no HP gain and only remap the throttle settings) , when you car weights 4,700 lbs empty you wont be able to tell a difference if you have a chip or not. Best bet is to sell your ML and upgrade to an AMG, or if you have $10,000 buy a supercharger, anything less than a supercharger on an ML isnt worth it, its money best spent on an exhaust to make you car sound better or on gadgets to make your driving experience better aka sat radio/nav/new rims/new steering wheel ext.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:42 AM

none
does any of the chips or ECU upgrades improve MPG?
Old 07-14-2006, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01 ML55, 91 Supra Turbo, 05 Audi S4
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
No mod is worth it for the $$ on an ML. At most you will get 10-15 HP ( most chips on NA german cars give you about 5 hp gain, I know on the M3 they give you no HP gain and only remap the throttle settings) , when you car weights 4,700 lbs empty you wont be able to tell a difference if you have a chip or not. Best bet is to sell your ML and upgrade to an AMG, or if you have $10,000 buy a supercharger, anything less than a supercharger on an ML isnt worth it, its money best spent on an exhaust to make you car sound better or on gadgets to make your driving experience better aka sat radio/nav/new rims/new steering wheel ext.
That's exactly what I was told by a kleemann rep,...to get any noticeable performance gains from a 5000lb beast you have to go supercharger+ I am looking into a kleenmann upgrade on my ML55.....@500+ hp, now that you can feel!....I also have a green filter and notice a very slight improvement in acceleration...

Last edited by hanniep; 07-14-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by hanniep
I also have a green filter and notice a very slight improvement in acceleration...
Just b/c you can't notice it doesn't mean its not helping. Hell a 50 shot of nitrous is hard to notice, now the 175 was a different story. Apples and oranges when comparing a chip to supercharger.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by maxboosteric
Just b/c you can't notice it doesn't mean its not helping. Hell a 50 shot of nitrous is hard to notice, now the 175 was a different story. Apples and oranges when comparing a chip to supercharger.
Want to race? I bet if we have 2 ML's and the only difference is a filter, it will still be a drivers race. And I think you would notice a 50 shot in an ML, 50 HP is a lot of HP going from 215 to 265 is a big deals its like comparing a ML320 to a ML500 you can tell a difference in acceleration.

I was just thinking the other day I have 3 other friends that drive ML's this is sad, 3/4 of us have a ML320 and the other has a ML500 and that thing is fast compared to the rest of ours. 1 of them has a bumper guard and side steps and 20 inch rims which slows his car down a lot. So if you want to go faster and have bumper guard and side steps take them off.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:31 PM

Want to race? I bet if we have 2 ML's and the only difference is a filter, it will still be a drivers race. And I think you would notice a 50 shot in an ML, 50 HP is a lot of HP going from 215 to 265 is a big deals its like comparing a ML320 to a ML500 you can tell a difference in acceleration.
Go back and reread what I said, on the diff. I'm speaking from experience on all ends. Drag racing is my game along with dynoing. Drivers race with autos....................... The only factor I can't give is some run better then others from the factory as any vehicle will differ. No matter what you say a cold air will make more power then the stock ML air box. Thus giving one a advantage over the only. So live in your own world and reply back when you gain the common sense of hp.
Thanks drive thru.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Go back and reread what I said, on the diff. I'm speaking from experience on all ends. Drag racing is my game along with dynoing. Drivers race with autos....................... The only factor I can't give is some run better then others from the factory as any vehicle will differ. No matter what you say a cold air will make more power then the stock ML air box. Thus giving one a advantage over the only. So live in your own world and reply back when you gain the common sense of hp.
Thanks drive thru.
And yes you can be a better automatic driver than another person. If you have 2 exact cars with same everything(think perfect world) but a different driver in each one driver skill and error will come into play. For example say the 2 of us line up for a race, you might not know about power breaking and off the line I will pull a full car length and hold it. If you are curious if you have 1 ML floor it with no power break and 1 revving 2,600 RPM, the PB ML will pull 1 full car length ahead of the other ML at the start.

Mk maybe if the design was crappy a different air box would. Speaking from personal experience unless you have a crappy designed car a cold air intake will not add any wheel HP, example M3 cold air intake adds no noticeable HP at the wheels since it is a good design. In fact most cold air intakes end up losing HP and TQ or often cases you get a slight increase in HP and a loss in torque . If you look at the ML's are intake you will notice it is a "cold air" intake. Also the design of the intake provides torque at lower RPM, if you notice a lot of the new very good air intakes are variable intakes that allow different intake tube lengths to provide better low down TQ. So keep living in your HP dream world and go learn about torque then come back and talk to me.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:42 AM

And yes you can be a better automatic driver than another person. If you have 2 exact cars with same everything(think perfect world) but a different driver in each one driver skill and error will come into play. For example say the 2 of us line up for a race, you might not know about power breaking and off the line I will pull a full car length and hold it. If you are curious if you have 1 ML floor it with no power break and 1 revving 2,600 RPM, the PB ML will pull 1 full car length ahead of the other ML at the start.

Mk maybe if the design was crappy a different air box would. Speaking from personal experience unless you have a crappy designed car a cold air intake will not add any wheel HP, example M3 cold air intake adds no noticeable HP at the wheels since it is a good design. In fact most cold air intakes end up losing HP and TQ or often cases you get a slight increase in HP and a loss in torque . If you look at the ML's are intake you will notice it is a "cold air" intake. Also the design of the intake provides torque at lower RPM, if you notice a lot of the new very good air intakes are variable intakes that allow different intake tube lengths to provide better low down TQ. So keep living in your HP dream world and go learn about torque then come back and talk to me.
Thanks for the info but there all givens.
Until we disgree again..................
Old 07-16-2006, 09:32 AM

2011 VW cc, 2004 ML350
I keep seeing people on here who buy ML320s and want more power. Why not just get the 430? I drove the 320 when we were ML shopping. It was a fine ride, but I needed more power. So I bought a 430. The bigger brakes were another selling point for me. I've thought a couple times that I'd like more power, but the cost of any real significant gains seemed unjustified. When my thirst for more came again, I gave the ML430 to my Mrs. and got a 400E for myself.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:47 PM

01 ML55, 91 Supra Turbo, 05 Audi S4

I think we were talking about putting a performance chip into a ML320, for what @$400 you gonna get like 10-15hp, in a SUV that weighs 5000lbs, yeah you might get a little increase in performance and MPG gains that you MAY OR MAY NOT notice! BIG DEAL!!!! If you want any pin you in the seat performance gains you will have to go with a SUPERCHARGER setup,..I have a AMG and even with 300+ hp it's still weighs 5000lbs!! I have no idea what the hp to weight ratio is but it can't be favorable!....If you want performance DO IT RIGHT!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:17 PM

2001 ML320
Ther is no replacement for displacement..... ;-)