M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Better brakes for the ML320 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better brakes for the ML320 ?

Hi,

My Ml braking really sucks compared to my dad X5 or my other car. In order to stop or slow the car, I need to push a lot harder on the brake pedal than what I do in other cars. I am running oem brake pads and disc. The car is a 2002. What would you recommend as for upgrade ? Please, I don't want brembo 8 pistons kits or whatever like that. Some conservative upgrade would be appriciated.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2006, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by mz3bo
Hi,

My Ml braking really sucks compared to my dad X5 or my other car. In order to stop or slow the car, I need to push a lot harder on the brake pedal than what I do in other cars. I am running oem brake pads and disc. The car is a 2002. What would you recommend as for upgrade ? Please, I don't want brembo 8 pistons kits or whatever like that. Some conservative upgrade would be appriciated.

Thanks
You probably need new brakes and rotors, as far as braking distance the X5 and ML are very close and you will not be able to improve the braking distance on the ML (unless you get very sticky track tires) but you can improve the fade resistance of the brakes but for the street that would do no good.

It seems with the ML a popular solution and cheaper than the OEM rotors and pads is to go with brembo. You can do a search for "brakes" and you will find DIY and recommendations from other members, but I suspect you just need some new rotors and pads the ML seems to eat rotors and pads up very quickly.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by mz3bo
Hi,

Thanks
Like AndrewAZ said, the ML and X5 braking performance are very similar. I had a 02 320 and it braked very solidly, even though I thought the pedal was a tad soft. If this is a new ML to you, it could just be a matter of time to get used to the ML's soft pedal. Otherwise you may just want to have the brakes looked at first, just in case there's a problem!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:45 PM

'99 ML430, '90 LS400, '01 V70 T5, '87 300E (gone), '92 300CE (gone)
Breaks on every car are designed differently and therefore the amount of force required to stop the car is also going to be different. There are several factors that will effect it, such as size of rotors, type of pads, amount of assist, weight of the car, master cylinder design, caliper design (number of pistons), size of tires/wheels (rotating mass) etc, etc.
I would have someone who regularly drives an ML (a friend or even the dealer) test drive your truck to see if it is normal. If it is than there probably isn't much that you can do about it (without going to different calipers/bigger rotors). Getting softer pads might help, but I don't think they'll make a significant/noticeable difference.
Whenever I drive the ML after having driven the Volvo (great breaks), I have to pry my wifes nails out of the dashboard after the first few stops as she braces herself for the impact with the car in front of us, however after a few stops I get used to the MLs breaks and everything is fine.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:08 PM

'99 ML430, '90 LS400, '01 V70 T5, '87 300E (gone), '92 300CE (gone)
Breaks on every car are designed differently and therefore the amount of force required to stop the car is also going to be different. There are several factors that will effect it, such as size of rotors, type of pads, amount of assist, weight of the car, master cylinder design, caliper design (number of pistons), size of tires/wheels (rotating mass) etc, etc.
I would have someone who regularly drives an ML (a friend or even the dealer) test drive your truck to see if it is normal. If it is than there probably isn't much that you can do about it (without going to different calipers/bigger rotors). Getting softer pads might help, but I don't think they'll make a significant/noticeable difference.
Whenever I drive the ML after having driven the Volvo (great breaks), I have to pry my wifes nails out of the dashboard after the first few stops as she braces herself for the impact with the car in front of us, however after a few stops I get used to the MLs breaks and everything is fine.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Well the ML had new brakes (replaced the original ones under warranty) when I started driving it...and I thought they were great.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:34 AM

'03 E39 530I
For an SUV, ml brakes pretty decently compared to our BMW. Pedals feel different, but the braking performance is there for sure.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
I have Brembo Rotors and Porterfiels R4-S pads on my ML320. Front and rear. Everything else remains stock. Stops great and very low dust pads.