M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Creaking noise over bumps

Old 08-29-2006, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Creaking noise over bumps

Well I have developed this strange creaking noise from the rear end. It only happens when I go over bumps or when the rear end goes up and down from say a pothole or something at slopw speeds. At higher speeds I don't notice it. I did a search in this forum and it looks like the two main culprits are the torsion bars and/or the bushings being worn. If I go to the dealership am I looking at an arm and a leg.....or just a leg?
Also is it bad to drive with this problem? Will the rear wheel fall off?LOL.....I was gonna let it go but the noise drives me nuts when I'm driving in a parking lot. Its embarrasing
Old 08-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 709 Likes on 691 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
if u r out of warranty, don't go to stealer...
check it out at local mechanic who knows MBs...
Old 08-29-2006, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Well I have developed this strange creaking noise from the rear end. It only happens when I go over bumps or when the rear end goes up and down from say a pothole or something at slopw speeds. At higher speeds I don't notice it. I did a search in this forum and it looks like the two main culprits are the torsion bars and/or the bushings being worn. If I go to the dealership am I looking at an arm and a leg.....or just a leg?
Also is it bad to drive with this problem? Will the rear wheel fall off?LOL.....I was gonna let it go but the noise drives me nuts when I'm driving in a parking lot. Its embarrasing
When you did a search did you read anything about people using a silicon spray with success? I have read about a few members who buy this silicon spray and it takes care of the problem. But as for driving with bad suspension its not a great thing to do but it wont kill you in the short term. About how many miles do you have? You might want to consider some aftermarket suspension setup.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
When you did a search did you read anything about people using a silicon spray with success? I have read about a few members who buy this silicon spray and it takes care of the problem. But as for driving with bad suspension its not a great thing to do but it wont kill you in the short term. About how many miles do you have? You might want to consider some aftermarket suspension setup.
When I did the search I came across a few posts that said oiling the bushings helped for a little bit then when they dried out again the noise came back.....something like that. I may have it wrong.

My ML430 has 75K miles. I don't want to spend alot of money on a new suspension setup. I will check out the noise when I take her in for her next oil change. Will keep everyone posted as I always do!
Old 08-30-2006, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
When I did the search I came across a few posts that said oiling the bushings helped for a little bit then when they dried out again the noise came back.....something like that. I may have it wrong.

My ML430 has 75K miles. I don't want to spend alot of money on a new suspension setup. I will check out the noise when I take her in for her next oil change. Will keep everyone posted as I always do!
Yea I know how it is, I have a few things on the ML that need to be fixed but I dont want to put another 1k in the car since I plan on selling it in 6 months to a year. Well actually my father is taking the car back from me and trading it in with his car for a new E320 CDI.(He is in his energy conservation stage in life)
Old 08-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Sell the ML and get the CLS!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by AsianML
Sell the ML and get the CLS!!!
LOL
You are a funny dude.
Asian....my ML is the only thing that gets me to work in the winter. When I get the CLS63 the CLK55 will have to say bye bye!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
LOL
You are a funny dude.
Asian....my ML is the only thing that gets me to work in the winter. When I get the CLS63 the CLK55 will have to say bye bye!
You're just a sucky driver then. A dedicated set of snow tires and you should fine.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by AsianML
You're just a sucky driver then. A dedicated set of snow tires and you should fine.
Stop whoring up my thread!

Old 09-01-2006, 01:35 AM

XLR
If you never replaced your shocks then thats the problem. The ones you have are worn out. Definitely go to some local mechanic for this job other wise your going to get raped at the dealership.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML

It sounds like it's the torsion bars. It will not cost you an arm and a leg, but count on both legs going. Here's what I'd advice: Look under the rear suspension system. Near where the springs are you'll ses an assembly with four white bushings with a rog going throughn them - two bushings at top and two at botom. These are polyurethane bushings and they fail over time if not lubes. Lube these first and access the noise. If it disappears, then that's your problem = keep lubing or replace, your choice.

If the noise persists (btw, the torsion bar thing usually sounds like a cracking noise and if bad, it will crack whenever the vehicle sways side-to-side, or dives, like when braking or squarts like when accelerating), then it's most likely the torsion bars. Here's where you'll loose one leg at least, and both if you don't play your cards right. Take the truck to the dealer (or your mechanic, I prefer the MB shop!!!) and explain to them what you hear. But, make sure to tell them you think it's the torsion bars (let the be the one telling you it's not!!!). don't accept lubing the bushings since this is simply a short trem fix - the bushings need to be replaced to resolve the problem. Insist on it or make a deal.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML320, 2010 Ford F150
Stiggs:
As Andrew pointed out, silicone spray does work and quite well if it's the torsion bars. I may be one of the members he's referring to since I've posted this fix elsewhere. Do not use cheap silicone spray. Use an indusrial grade such as SILICONE RELEASE from WR Industries. It is very thick and got rid of my torsion bar noise for 6 months now. I liberally soaked each end of both sides.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by ///AMG55
If you never replaced your shocks then thats the problem. The ones you have are worn out. Definitely go to some local mechanic for this job other wise your going to get raped at the dealership.
Well give this man a prize!!!!!

I just got her back from the stealership today and the problem was the left rear shock assembly. They said while they were back there I might as well replace the other side too. (Sure, why not, I'm a sucker). After all was said and done the total for parts and labor was about $1,300.00

Yes, I know I will get lots of **** for this but I had the dealership fix it. Hey, its only money right?! Lets hope these last another 76K miles at least!

I still love my ML!
Old 09-09-2006, 12:01 AM

2000 ML320
Is this something that I can do myself?(the spray) My ML does the same thing and is driving me nuts. And IT IS VERY EMBARRASING!
Old 09-09-2006, 12:05 AM

2000 ML320
Is this something that I can do myself?(the spray) My ML does the same thin g and is driving me nuts. And IT IS VERY EMBARRASING!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:45 PM

XLR
Cool

I was right let me bask in the glory!!!!
ahhh I Love being right!

Mine sounded so bad!!!!
I waited to absolute last minute too! It only gets worse trust me!

They sell it with springs already attached to make it an easy sawp. Problem is I have lowered springs. The entire assembly comes out and I had to replace my springs with my lowered ones on the new shocks. And doing this taking off and putting back on and it actually lowered my truck some more ha. cool!

good luck go to a local mechanic Def.

Well give this man a prize!!!!!

I just got her back from the stealership today and the problem was the left rear shock assembly. They said while they were back there I might as well replace the other side too. (Sure, why not, I'm a sucker). After all was said and done the total for parts and labor was about $1,300.00

Yes, I know I will get lots of **** for this but I had the dealership fix it. Hey, its only money right?! Lets hope these last another 76K miles at least!

I still love my ML!

Last edited by ///AMG55; 09-11-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:52 PM

XLR
Originally Posted by sassybre
Is this something that I can do myself?(the spray) My ML does the same thin g and is driving me nuts. And IT IS VERY EMBARRASING!
Short answer: No