M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Seat Heater burned my ass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Heater burned my ***

Hey guys
recently I switched on the seat heater and within a couple seconds i got uncomfortable and smelled something burning. Because it was a road trip my butt was numb and it took me a second to realize i was burning. I checked my seat and it had a slight burn mark and my jeans looked like they got hit with a hot iron. So my question is, was there a recall or something I should know about? My car is out of warranty but I feel like this is a defect that I shouldn't have to pay to fix. Any ideas? 2001 ML320 with 68K. TIA
Old 11-27-2006, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
is that your *** in your avitar? no wonder it is so nicely tan
Old 11-27-2006, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by NK1983
Hey guys
recently I switched on the seat heater and within a couple seconds i got uncomfortable and smelled something burning. Because it was a road trip my butt was numb and it took me a second to realize i was burning. I checked my seat and it had a slight burn mark and my jeans looked like they got hit with a hot iron. So my question is, was there a recall or something I should know about? My car is out of warranty but I feel like this is a defect that I shouldn't have to pay to fix. Any ideas? 2001 ML320 with 68K. TIA
You must be unlucky. The wires in the heater can wear to the point where the current will arc and causes burns to the underside of the leather.

It usually fails totally rather than burns through.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 PM

XLR
This happened to some I know who had an ml it melted part of the seat!!!! I he complained and MB came to his house and in his driveway replaced the entire seat with a new one!!!! No joke!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by ///AMG55
This happened to some I know who had an ml it melted part of the seat!!!! I he complained and MB came to his house and in his driveway replaced the entire seat with a new one!!!! No joke!
I think they gave him new jeans too!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:10 AM

I'm a dude so no homo. I just like the *** in my avatar,
Any more info on this guy with the new seat? Should I call MB directly? Because I called my dealership and he just said come in and I'll let you know how much to replace the seat cushion and heater core. Seems like bull**** to me. If I would have let it burn it could have created a serious fire, then instead of burnt leather I would have smelled law suit. I dont think simple features should fail so seriously after 5 or 6 years.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Any more info on this guy with the new seat? Should I call MB directly? Because I called my dealership and he just said come in and I'll let you know how much to replace the seat cushion and heater core. Seems like bull**** to me. If I would have let it burn it could have created a serious fire, then instead of burnt leather I would have smelled law suit. I dont think simple features should fail so seriously after 5 or 6 years.
I dont know. Is it possible to get compensation for something that almost happened ?

I would have thought that a series of complaints and some serious frowning might send a serious message.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:55 AM

XLR
Yeah he had a ML 500 02' or 03' on lease. And it happened with the car still under warranty. I remember it being pretty new. His melted the seat pretty good and turned part of it brown! (seat was gray)

Try calling the higher up's on this one.

If that doesn't work you can always threaten to sue their asses. (no pun intended!)
Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by ///AMG55
Yeah he had a ML 500 02' or 03' on lease. And it happened with the car still under warranty. I remember it being pretty new. His melted the seat pretty good and turned part of it brown! (seat was gray)

Try calling the higher up's on this one.

If that doesn't work you can always threaten to sue their asses. (no pun intended!)

And if that doesnt work he can always tell his friends that his butt burned the seat.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
no offence, but I think your gonna be **** out of luck... UNLESS you do all your service at the dealership you originally purchased it from...
Old 11-29-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 55fanatic
no offence, but I think your gonna be **** out of luck... UNLESS you do all your service at the dealership you originally purchased it from...
None taken, But yes I do all of my service at the dealership.
On another note, I called MBUSA yesterday and didn't get a call back. I usually laugh at the pissy lil' girls who ***** constantly about mercedes service like they bought a rolls, but at the same time I dont think its too much to ask to get a call back in 24 hours. Oh well, I'll try again today. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Update: Teaches me to whine! I got a call within 5 minutes of posting this. She was a robot but said I would be contacted further. I hope they fix it.

Last edited by NK1983; 11-29-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
There was a recall on this I believe for heated seats overheating and burning the leather. It was some wiring harness I think that is faulty...do a search, I think its been posted here.