M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Winter / Snow driving tips needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter / Snow driving tips needed

Will use the ML430 to go to Lake Tahoe this coming weekend; according to the weather report, that area is under heavy snowstrom attack now. Need some snow condition driving tips.

Already purchased a set of snow-cables (according to the manual that I should apply them to rear tires if required).

What else (besides turn off the ESP)?

I will be so appreciate for your advices and suggestions.

TIA

-- mb_newbie
Old 12-16-2002, 11:13 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: Winter / Snow driving tips needed

Originally posted by mb_newbie
What else (besides turn off the ESP)?
Uh....if you've never driven in snow the last thing you would want to do is turn off ESP.

Think smooth steering, throttle, and brake inputs. Smooth is your friend.

Remember that just because you have a 5,000 lb truck with AWD, PSM, ETS, ABS, etc. you can't overcome the laws of physics and you still need a good deal of room to stop.

Your best bet would be to stay in the right lane with the rest of the novice snow drivers/folks with chains and not worry about driving fast.

Good luck.

p.s. bring a shovel, a come-along and a tow strap just in case.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:30 PM

Re: Re: Winter / Snow driving tips needed

Thank you for the advice!

I am also felt frustrated about the "turning off ESP" statement described in the manual book.

It describes "To improve the vehicle's traction when driving with snow chains, or starting off in deep snow, sand or gravel, or off-road driving, switch off ESP by pressing the upper half of the ESP switch...". ( I do plan to put on the snow-cables on the rear set of tires if the snow get too deep).

I will definitely keep in the right lane, arriving late is better than never arrive

Thanks,

-- mb_newbie

Originally posted by Some Pete Guy
Uh....if you've never driven in snow the last thing you would want to do is turn off ESP.

Think smooth steering, throttle, and brake inputs. Smooth is your friend.

Remember that just because you have a 5,000 lb truck with AWD, PSM, ETS, ABS, etc. you can't overcome the laws of physics and you still need a good deal of room to stop.

Your best bet would be to stay in the right lane with the rest of the novice snow drivers/folks with chains and not worry about driving fast.

Good luck.

p.s. bring a shovel, a come-along and a tow strap just in case.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
I have driven an ML430 numerous times in the snow... and I can say that it is nothing short of amazing. If you have the stock rims and tires with the M+S rating, you should be fine. Just play it safe and drive slow and smooth.

As far as the chains are concerned, in California, I don't know of any places that would require 4 wheel drive AND chains. It would have to literally be a blizzard. However, if you feel safer with them on, then put them on. =) I'll tell you, putting chains on, is not fun though.
And about the ESP, I believe it says to turn it off with chaines, because the rough ride of the chains and some slippage, will cause the ESP to think you are losing traction.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:05 PM

2000 ML 320
It would also be smart to pack some blankets, extra jackets and maybe some food and water and a good flashlight, JUST IN CASE you get stuck and have to sit in your ML for a half day or so.

Go buy yourself a nice tow rope with hooks on both ends. There is ALWAYS someone in a ditch that doesn't want to pay $100 for a tow truck but might be willing to part with $25 for a quick tug.

If you have room, you could bring a chainsaw to help remove fallen trees from your path to carnage.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:41 PM

Thank you all for the useful advices, appreciate for all the experiences' sharing.

Right now I am really hoping that snow chain/cable will not be required. My friends already asked me to start practice how to mount the cables and they also warned me that usually the ski resort (like big bear, lake Tahoe) area will have snow chain/cable mandate when weather went bad (like now) unless you have snow tires (not M+S).

-- mb_newbie
Old 12-18-2002, 12:35 PM

I go to big bear all the time and with 4 wheel drive, I have never had to put chains on. Even in mammoth when driving in a "white-out," I didn't need chains and I have never seen them check what kind of tires you have. From my experience tho, M+S rated tires work fairly well in the snow.
I even have a friend with a BMW X5 4.6is with the 20 inch W rated sport tires and he never needed to put chains. So, I'm saying the likelyhood that you will HAVE to put chains on is very slim.
I wouldn't stress about it too much... if you DO have to put chains on, or would feel safer with them on, just fork out the 20 bucks and have the chain installers do it, while you sit back in your cozy car and sip on some coffee. =)
Old 12-18-2002, 09:46 PM

///MB,

Thank you so much for ease my nerves, and I will definitely bring coffee with me

-- mb_newbie
Old 12-18-2002, 10:57 PM

S210 E320 4MATIC
You are supposed to turn off the ESP with chains to allow the wheels to slip, which will help the chains find traction. Since chains will only have traction when the chain portion is actually under the tire, the tire may have to slip to get the chain under the tire. Get what I mean.

Plus, chains are definately meant for low-speed driving, so at speeds recommended for chains, you would probably not need the ESP.

However, winter tires would definately be an asset, even more than chains, since you can use them on bare roads. Unless you are Homer simpson, then chains in the summer is perfectly fine.

I use Dunlop Winter Sport M2 winter tires which are factory recommended for the ML and all MB vehicles, as well as Audi, BMW, Porsche, and VW. These tires are H-rated and will not wear out quickly on dry pavement. They ahve been great on ice so far and hopefully if it starts to snow, I will find out about snow.

Last edited by Bora20; 01-03-2003 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:43 PM

Sorry to bring this post back... but how did you end up doing? Did you need chains?
Old 01-05-2003, 01:38 AM

Nope Even the ESP was not required, the 4x4 system just handled the icy condition nicely.

-- mb_newbie
Old 01-05-2003, 01:44 AM

Forgot to mentioned: the only problem that we encountered is the windsheld flushing system did get freeze up, so it was kind of muddy and wipping it just made the condition worse; was like spreading the mud across the windsheld (the temperature was around 4 degree). Next time will remember to add the anti-freeze stuff into the windsheld washing fluid tank.

-- mb_newbie
Old 01-06-2003, 05:54 PM

Glad to hear you didn't have any problems... But yes, the washer fluid freezing is normal for the most part.
If it wasn't frozen, you would've sprayed your windshield and then the fluid would've frozen in an icy layer on your window... thus lowering visibility even more.
If there's ice on your windshield, you should turn on the defrost heater full blast.
I'm not sure about putting anti-freeze in your washer reservoir.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:07 AM

///MB,

It is not the anti-freeze that used in the engine cooler, they have a special anti-freeze fluid just for the washer (I asked the service manager later, and they also have a special wiper blade that has insulation to protect it from frozen).

Unfortunately the stuff got frozen on the winshield was not clear water, but mud. Wiping it without washer fluid is like spread the mud througout the windshield. Luckily I was able to peek through the spreaded mud.

Thank you for your recommendation.

-- mb_newbie

Originally posted by ///MB
Glad to hear you didn't have any problems... But yes, the washer fluid freezing is normal for the most part.
If it wasn't frozen, you would've sprayed your windshield and then the fluid would've frozen in an icy layer on your window... thus lowering visibility even more.
If there's ice on your windshield, you should turn on the defrost heater full blast.
I'm not sure about putting anti-freeze in your washer reservoir.