M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML350 Good Family Car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 Good Family Car?

Looking at buying an 03 350 or 500. One 4 yr old, and a new kid in May. Safety and handling are key, with my wife driving I don't want a minivan or a suburban size truck. I will be getting it loaded w/3rd row seat. Any feedback on day to day family use, or benefits of the v-8 w/the 500? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
It really depends on what you are looking for. The ML is certainly a safe car, what with the 8 airbags and all the various electronic safety systems.

The ML handles well for an SUV. An X5 handles better, but we test drove one and felt the X5 was too darty - the ML was easier and more relaxed, and that's what we were looking for.

But many sedans will handle better than any SUV.

A minivan is more practical as far as loading and unloading, hauling kids around, etc.

We traded in a minivan (and my old Q45) for our ML, and it has done well, fulfilling 95% of both old car's functions. (BTW we have two older (teenage) boys)

We did NOT get the 3rd row seat - in my opinion it restricted trunk room too much. And none of us would want to sit back there - it's pretty cramped!
Old 01-02-2003, 11:43 AM

2004 Porsche Cayenne S, 2002 S430
Originally posted by jswedberg
It really depends on what you are looking for. The ML is certainly a safe car, what with the 8 airbags and all the various electronic safety systems.

The ML handles ....

We did NOT get the 3rd row seat - in my opinion it restricted trunk room too much. And none of us would want to sit back there - it's pretty cramped!
I must agree. I drove the X5 and did not like it. I also drove the 2003 ML320 and then immediately drove the ML350. I bought the ML350. The car handles well and I couldn't be happier. I would also agree that the 3rd row of seats will be far less utilitarian than one would hope. Not much room, and the storage in back is reduced to nothing. I think that an ML is a good choice.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:10 PM

I think the ML would make a good family car.

We have a 2002 ML 320, I like it a lot. It could use a bit more power, but thats why they have the 350 now. Its ride is pretty comfortalbe, although our previous rx 300 had a better ride, but it is better than the ride of our Nissan Pathfinder.

It has plenty of airbags, 10 in total I believe, it has traction control and ESP, and of course AWD. Its still a SUV though, so a car would handle better but it does have a lot of space, and my 6'3 dad can fit comfortably in the back seat, myself I am 6'2 and I can fit comfortably back there as well, and this is with the moonroof.

We have had no problems besides an alarm that goes off occasionaly for no reason, and there is so ratle in the back cargo compartment that we can't figure out, but when we take it in for the 10k service (or whatever it is) we will get those two very minor issues looked at.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:13 PM

WRX wagon, 350ML
I just leased a 350ML Inspiration for my wife. We looked at every SUV out there, and while the MDX and XC90 had more kit, they were nowhere near as fun to drive and, not to mention, devoid of a soul/character. I also really wanted a low-range and and a true manual shift option.

My complaints are the absence of controls on the steering wheel (e.g, radio, cruise), the inability to get heated seats (should be OE), and no seat memory (should also be OE), and no trip computer (how is this not OE on a $40K car). My wife is seriously concerned with the ride, which is actually stiffer than my WRX wagon with the STi/SPD suspension and ALK, but she just could not get excited about the MDX or XC90.

Her parents just got a GX470, which is awesome. It has so many offroad features it would take a page just to list them. If you can afford it, I would look at this truck too. The only thing I think the ML has over it is free maintenance and more back seat leg room.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by bgsntth
My complaints are the absence of controls on the steering wheel (e.g, radio, cruise), the inability to get heated seats (should be OE), and no seat memory (should also be OE), and no trip computer (how is this not OE on a $40K car).
We have a ML 320 with all three of these on ours.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Re: ML350 Good Family Car?

Originally posted by WRXFreek
Looking at buying an 03 350 or 500. One 4 yr old, and a new kid in May. Safety and handling are key, with my wife driving I don't want a minivan or a suburban size truck. I will be getting it loaded w/3rd row seat. Any feedback on day to day family use, or benefits of the v-8 w/the 500? Any help would be appreciated.
You'll be fine with either the 350 (sluggish) or the V8 powered 500 (sleeper killer machine). My ML has 3rd rows and they're great. However, in your case, they won't benefit the 4yr old at all, unless she has 9+ years old long legs. Here's why: the space from the back of the second row to the 3rd row seats is just enough for an adult or tall kid to slide both feet and sit upright. If the 4yr sits all the way back to the seat cushions, the back of the second row seats will be in her way - can't fold feet to floor. If she moves up so her feet rest on the floor, it becomes extremely uncomfortable - no back rest used, strain on knees. Basically, if the length from feet to knees is shorter than the seat height (from floor to seat cushion), for get it. My 10yr old loves the 3rd rows while neither my 4yr nor my 6yr old can fit in there!!!
Old 01-02-2003, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up

I appreciate the opinions. I'll take my wife out with the checkbook in a few weeks, and we'll do some serious driving. If we get the vibe we'll order. If not I'll bank the difference, upgrade the rex to about 300hp, and wait a year or two for a low mile clk55 AMG for my own. Drive fast and drive safe.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:04 PM

Awaiting a new arrival...
My wife is the primary driver of our 2001 ML320 with the Sport package. She loves the ML and our only minor complaint is a need for a bit more power - we're trying to solve that with an ML55 potential purchase.

Our 22 month old loves the riding position, it is comfortable, easy to operate and fun to drive. If the gas mileage were a bit better, I'd be happy, but overall, it is a nice package for a smaller family on the go. We can fill the hatch up with everything the child requires and still enjoy our drive in style. No mini vans here. Good luck in your purchase.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:06 PM

Plus: it handles the snow and mountain climbing condition very well.

Just back from the trip to Tahoe, our ML430 once again convinced me that we made a good decision; it has plenty of power on the climbing condition, runs average 75 m/h on the curvy road and while we take it on the icy road (not 80 m/h of course ), the 4x4 takes care of it, and the ESP even did not require to kick in.

By the way, check the test tracks (under M-Class category) in this web-site: http://www.mbusi.com/

-- mb_newbie
Old 01-05-2003, 01:58 AM

2003 ML350 Inspiration Edition, 2002 Suburban
Heated seats are available.

Originally posted by bgsntth
I just leased a 350ML Inspiration for my wife. . . . My complaints are the absence of controls on the steering wheel (e.g, radio, cruise), the inability to get heated seats (should be OE), . . .
Dear bgsntth:

On December 2, 2002 I took delivery of a black 2003 ML350 Inspiration Edition with heated seats, Factory Option Code 873 for $650.00. Many of us agree with you that sound system/HVAC/phone controls ought to be on the steering wheel.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:47 PM

ML350
Well it seems that the old fuel gauge problem on the ML's have not been corrected with the ML350. My new ML350 is going into the dealer tomorrow for the second time because the fuel gauge is totally erratic. That's twice and the car only has 520 miles. Maybe I should have kept my defective ML320 - I probably have corrected all the problems on that one.....

Good luck with your 350.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:02 PM

ML350
Well, the dealer has had my car for 7 days now (I've had it for 2 1/2 weeks, 1 of which has been at the dealer) and they replaced the gauge cluster. This was a "guess" on the part of the dealer as they had no idea of the cause of the problem. It did indeed fix the fuel gauge, but now the computer is throwing codes out saying the car has a bad gauge cluster. They are ordering a send one and then maybe I'll get the car back in 2 to 3 more days. This is my last Benz. I'm going back to Lexus.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:48 AM

Talking The winner was ML350

After driving everything from minivans to the x5, xc90 it was apparent that the 350 seemed to fill a lot of the gaps from the 320. It was a vault, responsive enough, and gave us the much needed correct vibe. We also strapped in some car seats on the 320 with the 3rd row. By staggering the seats, there is plenty of room to utilize one seat on the 3rd row, lower the second row 40% seat, and still have plenty of room for storage on the day to day. On trips there will be plenty of space on the 2nd row to keep the kids from smacking each other. BTW getting invoice pricing +1% was reasonable. The price was less than an MDX, which wasn't dealing and doesn't compare to the mb in terms of luxury or ride.

As far as reliability issues, I fell in love with the subaru wrx. I bought a wagon and promptly began modifying it. It will have well over a 10/1 weight/horsepower rating, modified suspension, turbo, exhaust, computer, brakes...300HP and corners better than my bros boxster s + it is a wagon and I can use it 365 days a year. Anyway I read the forums on that site, and the people vent about their POS cars. I have had 0 problems, and drive it like I stole it. I hope that the reliability vents are the statistical outliers that I see with this model. I also think that when a giant shows some weakness the masses attack.

In my inspection of the vehicle that I test drove, I found no loose or shoddy assembly. I found nothing cheap about it except for the standard gauges. The layout, and controls were visual, ergonomic, and the engineering was logical and functional. Luxury was classy without being gadgety. This said:

03 ML350 OB M1,M2,M5,M7, Bose, Xenon, Heated fron seats. Obsidian Black with black step rails. nice ride for 43K + tax
Old 02-18-2003, 01:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 S450 4Matic, 2015 G550
ML350

I just got a new ML350.....I think it is a good family car and enough power for everyday use......I think my ML350 already using a lot more gas then my old X5 3.0i (rolled over) ...the X5 is really a better handling car and feels even more power then my ML350 now.......but the interior is not much bigger then a 5 series or E class wagan compare to the ML with all the seats fold down there a lot more room......but overall I would say the X5 is better then the ML........
Old 02-18-2003, 06:16 PM

My ML350 inspiration package p38 includes the trip computer, memory seats, privacy glass, autosensing wipers, autodimming mirrors, etc. which the p37 inspiration package does not have. The heated seats are an additional option on any ML350.

I also have the third row seats and they do take quite a bit of cargo space and should be considered only for occasional use I would not want them as everyday need. I do concurr with Darkmann that kids 3 through five probably will have a rough time, though my four year old son likes it so much back there that he sits crosslegged on his car seat.

It is a great car so far though with all the problems some people have had with 320's I am just waiting. I guess we'll see soon enough. The 350 already feels a bit underpowered to me so if you can afford it and don't mind the gas mileage penalty, go for the 500.

In terms of practicality, you can't bet the GX or LX Lexus trucks, specially when it comes to the third row seats but the GX is at least $10k more than the ML nevermind the LX and just don't feel as clean and uncluttered as the ML feels to me.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:49 AM

it's got really bad fuel milage and the build quality is still questionable. my ml 320 broke down once and had many minor problems. it's soooo ****en slow and handles really bad.. audi allroad is a much better car, if u need the extra ground cleanrance.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 ML500 SE, 2005 X5
I drive a 2002 X5 3.0i, and my wife drive a 2002 ML320. The X5 handles better, and is more fun to drive, but the ML is a better family car. The ML's rear seats are more comfortable, and the ML has much more cargo room, as well as head room.

In the recent snow storm, they both went equally well. However, the X5 has dedicated Dunlop Winter Sport Snow tires, the ML has the stock Dunlop SP5000's. Low range really came in handy on the ML, the X5 does not have low range.

Depending on the mood I'm in, I enjoy driving them both. I do think that the ML is a more comfortable car with regard to seat padding, and ride quality. I also feel safer in the ML.

Both have their positives & negatives. Good luck with whatever you choose!