M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

First time off-road in ML, have ?'s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WRX wagon, 350ML
First time off-road in ML, have ?'s

With exactly 1034 miles on the odo I finally pushed the low range on and the ESP off. Heck of a lot easier to engage than it was with my old '00 Grd Cherokee V8 w/ Quadradrive and the Upcountry suspension that we turned in for the ML. Shifts in low range were just as smooth as normal range, somthing that could not be said of the Jeep's.

Driving at the same speed over dirt roads with the ML as I did in the Jeep, I noticed that the suspension compressed to the bumpstops quite easily, forcing me to slow down from my usual pace in the Jeep. I wonder how much of this might be due to the low profile of the ML's 275/55's in comparison to the Jeep's 245/70's? First gear in the ML is really low, with second being equivalent to the Jeep's first, it seems.

I did notice that I could punch the throttle and swing the rear end around in the grass with the ESP off-nice. I did not know that the ESP re-engages when the ignition is turned on and off, hence my next experience.

Climbing a very steep, loose granite hill complete with grass sections and rain crevices, I observed that on the way up the throttle would back-off and I could audilby hear the brakes being applied. The ML made it up the hill with only a little hesitation, but I do not like the feeling of power being reduced and the application of the brakes in a situation where momentum is a good thing. Is this the traction control or ESP? I stupidly forgot to disengage the ESP after I shut off the engine for a bit, so am wondering if it would have been different with the ESP off? For the sake of comparisons, the Jeep ripped up this hill with all wheels blazing. If 10 being the maximum of capability demanded, I would give the ML a 6 on this hill and the Jeep a 3.

On the way down, I let the downhill assist do the job, which was interesting with the brakes audilby engaging in rapid succesion (clap, clap, clap...). So does relying on all this brake-intervention for traction going up and down hills all day result in any overheating, and eventual pad deposits/warped rotors? Seems like a day of off-roading would put a strain on the brakes?

Overall I think the ML performed admirably, even with the huge SP5000's. I feel I am closer to using a good portion of its off-road ability, as equiped, than I was with the Jeep. The Jeep's abilities are far beyond my sphincter meter's. I do much prefer the Jeep's Quadradrive system to the ML's electronic traction control, as well as the Jeep's suspension. The ML annialates the Jeep in terms of on-road handling, however, so I'm very happy with the trade-off. As the ML spends most of its time on-road and is "theoretically" my wife's car.

Would be very interested in other owner's knowledge on these matters.

Thanks,

Martin
Old 01-27-2003, 03:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I agree (and most magazine articles seem to agree) that the Jeep will do better than the ML off-road.

The ML will get you there, but where the Jeep is a "10" off-road (for example) I'd say the ML is an "8", and the X5 is perhaps a "7". Jeeps have always been the epitome of off-road vehicles.

A "real" off-roader will want differential locks. A real spare tire (or two). Provisions for a winch.

We've driven our ML off road up in Montana - it did well - as well as my brother's 4runner - but I did not push it at all (the nearest MB dealer was many, many hundreds of miles away!)

Supposedly 95+ % of all ML owners NEVER take their vehicel off-road, and Mercedes designed it to maximize it's on-road ability while still providing more-than-adequate off-road utility.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally posted by jswedberg
The ML will get you there, but where the Jeep is a "10" off-road (for example) I'd say the ML is an "8", and the X5 is perhaps a "7".
I woudn't rate the X5 a 7 for offroad capability - it has close to none. I haven't seen a single person take an X5 offroading, and there's a reason for it - the X5 is not a truck - it's a vertically stretched, horizontally shortened 5 series wagon.

In other words the X5's car-based platform (same goes for Lexus RX300) makes it close to useless off-road. Although it does have close to the best on-road handling in its class, the X5 cannot be rated a '7' for off-road ability - closer to a 3 or 4 IMO. No differentials, no ETS-type 4wd system, lack of low range, etc.

BMW acknowledges the X5's emphasis on on-road handling (versus off-road capablity) by calling it a "Sports Activity Vehicle" rather than an SUV.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I was trying to be nice

There's a lot of M5 lovers around here and I didn't want to make anyone blow their top if I'd said anything detrimental about the car. I occasionally wonder if everyone hates the ML and loves the X5 on this forum

But (secretly) I agree, mbakshi!
Old 01-28-2003, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally posted by jswedberg
There's a lot of M5 lovers around here and I didn't want to make anyone blow their top if I'd said anything detrimental about the car. I occasionally wonder if everyone hates the ML and loves the X5 on this forum

But (secretly) I agree, mbakshi!

Yeah some months ago there was that outbreak of anti-ML flame posts and many had to 'hide' - I just tried to kinda ignore those posts.

Sadly that's true though at times (having to wonder if there are more X5 fans/ML haters than people who appreciate the ML on this forum).
Old 01-28-2003, 11:58 AM

WRX wagon, 350ML
Hey, I don't like the X5. Not enough headroom, back seat leg room, cargo space, and about the same off-road capability as my WRX wagon. Nice to look at though with wonderful engines, on-road handling, and interior.

Just an opinion......
Old 01-29-2003, 06:06 AM

ML500
Off-roading

I don't know about the X5, but I can tell you I took my Ml to Death Valley, and I was surprised. Went thru Goller wash, very diffulct, at leas for a non-experienced driver like myself, and made thru without major complications, just a few steep hill on flat rock and sand. That's when ESP came on handy, just I forgot to turn it back off after I stopped. I did not get to use the low-gear, no need yet.
Afterall, I am very satisfied, and I am trying to add more oof-road accesories to have a safe and pleasant trip.
We are going to an adventure in the middle of March, everybody is invited, just LKM.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:08 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: First time off-road in ML, have ?'s

Originally posted by bgsntth

Climbing a very steep, loose granite hill complete with grass sections and rain crevices, I observed that on the way up the throttle would back-off and I could audilby hear the brakes being applied. The ML made it up the hill with only a little hesitation, but I do not like the feeling of power being reduced and the application of the brakes in a situation where momentum is a good thing. Is this the traction control or ESP? I stupidly forgot to disengage the ESP after I shut off the engine for a bit, so am wondering if it would have been different with the ESP off?
Yes, much different with ESP off. You would have roared right up the hill.

You want it off when hill climbing since the ML will bog down (engine cut by ESP in addition to the wheels being braked) if the wheels begin to lose traction in loose soil/rocks.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:26 PM

WRX wagon, 350ML
Sweet! That was the info I was looking for. It did not occur to me that the ESP was engaged at the time until I took it out of low range later on, and noticed that the ESP was already activated. Forgot about that little tidbit when I perused the manual.

Thanks again!

Martin
Old 01-31-2003, 03:20 PM

e500 4matic; c240
African insight

I just spent a month in South Africa and while I did not see many X5 I did see quite a few ML's and Jeep Cheerokes. I must tell you that these guys do get to see some nice off-roading. Although deep in the bush I didn't see anything but japanees pickups and Land Rovers, and some Land Cruisers. In addition these guys didn't got the body colored bumpers till the '02 model except for the V8's, I guess as part of theyr muddy nature. Which might explain why all cars had standard mudflaps.

my 0.02 cents
Old 02-05-2003, 08:36 PM

2003 S55 AMG, 2003 Audi A4 1.8T, 2002 S500, 2002 ML320, 2002 G500, 2000 E430, 2002 Cadillac Escalade
I went with a group of buddies in my ML320 ('02) to northern Arizona to go off-roading near Sedona. The caravan consisted of a(n): ML, X5, 4Runner, RX300, Wrangler, and a Pathfinder. The trip was somewhat funny. On a 5-mile trail, the RX300 had to back off not even one full mile into it. The X5 (a close buddy of mine), turned around after about 1.5miles. In the end, it was only my ML, the 4Runner, Wrangler (Obviously), and Pathfinder which made the entire journey. The ML never gave one problem, except that at one very steep hill, which coincidentally was slightly muddy, slipped a bit and nearly caused the light truck to land in a ditch. The ML did better than the Pathfinder ('02) in many scenarios of which I am still very proud of. Now...time to take the G-Class on some grueling trip!