M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

More ML troubles, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML320
More ML troubles, PLEASE HELP!

Hello,
My wife drives a 2001 ML320 and the other day the speedo/tach needles started dancing up/down like crazy. Sometimes going up then down and sometimes not moving at all. Then several days after the engine light came on. Then the next day when we started the car it died. It re-started right away with a kind of rough idle. It would not shift into reverse so we did the pen trick and as soon as we got it to shift into Reverse or Drive the idle got really rough and it wanted to die again. Within the last two years I replaced the brake switch, alternator, plugs & wires. Now the car can be driven but I am not sure what other damage will occur until I figure out what the problem is. I got the following codes: P0130, P0136, P0150 AND P0156. THese seem to be the codes for the 4 O2 sensors but I am hesitant to replace all four since it is pretty doubtful that all four went at the same time. This is just another thing that the wife can complain about and try to get me to sell it and get a VAN. Any help will be greately appreciated!! THANK YOU!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
From reading other klasse threads, sounds like a crankshaft position sensor....there is a DIY thread here for it....
https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...t-anymore.html

Last edited by Benzo 003; 04-29-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
Electrical problems drive me crazy, but the complexity of the MB systems takes me and my limited DIY skills out of the equation when things come up. I always take my problems to a trusted mechanic (or dealer if the problem is beyond) BECAUSE: I usually spend a lot more time and money chasing my tail trying to fix electrical problems myself. I do not have the diagnostic tools or experience. So many of the parts and functions are inter-related and simply going through and replacing parts until it works right is just not cost effective.

That said, this forum is indeed a great place for advice and instruction, and if you decide to forge ahead and tackle this yourself, I wish you the best of luck and when you get it all sorted out, please share your experience with the rest of us.

I've only had my ML for a few months, so I'm still trying to sort it out.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:08 PM

2001 ML320
Thanks guys! I replaced the CPS since it was not too expensive but no go. I also swapped the battery from my truck and still nothing. This morning I finally called the dealer, they will tow the car and diagnose for me. Hopefully it will be something I can do in the driveway. I will let you guys know what happens. Thanks again for your feedback! Good luck with the ML Karburn, hopefully you will not have the problems we have had with ours.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 PM

03 W163 ML500, 03 W211 E320, 08 Vue XR
Originally Posted by Jsliw1376
This morning I finally called the dealer, they will tow the car and diagnose for me. Hopefully it will be something I can do in the driveway.
Good Luck! I'd be amazed if you get away paying less than $500!!

Old 05-03-2010, 01:16 PM

2001 ML320
Right, they rape you every time. I hate taking it there but at this point I really do not want to just throw money into parts that might not need changing. It was my last resort, this is my wifes car and I need to get it fixed, she keeps bugging me to trade it in for a van. Thanks, I will let all know what the stealer says. Thanks again.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Right, they rape you every time. I hate taking it there but at this point I really do not want to just throw money into parts that might not need changing. It was my last resort, this is my wifes car and I need to get it fixed, she keeps bugging me to trade it in for a van. Thanks, I will let all know what the stealer says. Thanks again.
Trade the Money Pit as soon as you can. MB's are for people that have money to burn and like to impress strangers.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:53 PM

2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c

So you call them stealers and rapers but you bring it there because you dont know how to fix it...... But you admit you would speend more throwing parts at it. Your paying for experiance... Do you complain about your doctor charging to much or your lawyer... Cars are getting more and more complicated and you actualy need some knowledge to fix them correct....

i think indys rip people off more..... dealer about 100-120per hr than you have over head, all dealers cost, loaners, training, SPECIAL TOOLS, diag equipment.. Indies dont even have close to the over head of a dealer and they charge 85-90 per hr Thats robbing you
Old 05-04-2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by hcetzneb
So you call them stealers and rapers but you bring it there because you dont know how to fix it......
Newsflash: NOT EVERYONE CAN DIY

But you admit you would speend more throwing parts at it. Your paying for experiance...
Huh? ...

i think indys rip people off more.....
Can't generalize like that, I know plenty of honest shops. They do charge upto $40 less per hour for the same work. (Specialty Mercedes Indy Shops_

dealer about 100-120per hr than you have over head, all dealers cost, loaners, training, SPECIAL TOOLS, diag equipment.. Indies dont even have close to the over head of a dealer and they charge 85-90 per hr Thats robbing you
But they do sell BRAND NEW $40,000 cars, lol that's what pays for the loaner. Also, every indy shop I go to has Mercedes Trained veterans working on my truck.

Bottom Line, get two or three opinions, make a decision that best suits your needs and at least makes your ML safe to drive for your wife.

I do agree though that a Benz costs $$$ keeping it up to Benz standards.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:06 PM

Im not fighting with you ... im just feed up with people trashing dealer.. Ive been working on these cars for over 13years and about 20 friends shops have my cell on speed dial.

I know alot of GREAT indies but i also know alot of bad indies... There are alot of mb techs on here that help with questions on there cars ... i even have driven and helped members with there cars but people are so quick to trash dealers like we set prices
Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 PM

I've got my local SA's cell number on speed dial.EDIT:Not really, but he's in my phonebook..somewhere My MB Dealership is awesome. Remember that your SA can drop the part prices by at least 10% if not more.

But I agree its good to be in 'good spirit' with your local MB Service Department.

Also, an Alignment was cheaper at the Dealership then indy by close to 50%. Some indies will definitely try to rip you off. For example, got my tires from Tirerack shipped to local indy, dropped the car off to get the tires installed,(kumhos road venture), get a call back saying my ball joints were bad and that they need to be replaced in order to get the alignment done.

Well, bunch of BS, ball joints were fine.. IMO its all in who your SA is @ your dealership, it can make or break your experience, I'm lucky enough to be dealing with a 20+ year mechanic vet.

Last edited by W163er; 05-04-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:03 AM

2001 ML320
Yes, going by all my experience with dealers, they are rapers and stealers. For example, they told me $1000 to do the alternator when the part costs anywhere from 190 - 240, I call that a rip off. What I need them for is not their experience but their diagnostic tools since there are so many sensors, elec's, etc. They charged me $86 for half hour of diagnostics. Anyways, they informed me that the alternator is putting out too much power and causing the electronics to shut down. Will replace the alternator this weekend and post the results. Thanks for the feedback everybody, and yes azinn as soon as I get it fixed it will be traded in.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:07 PM

Yes, going by all my experience with dealers, they are rapers and stealers. For example, they told me $1000 to do the alternator when the part costs anywhere from 190 - 240, I call that a rip off. What I need them for is not their experience but their diagnostic tools since there are so many sensors, elec's, etc. They charged me $86 for half hour of diagnostics. Anyways, they informed me that the alternator is putting out too much power and causing the electronics to shut down. Will replace the alternator this weekend and post the results. Thanks for the feedback everybody, and yes azinn as soon as I get it fixed it will be traded in.
Were have you found alt for 240??? Are they bocsh units? watch out for the cheap asian ones they can cause more damage than good?

So do you know what crazy diag equipment they used to diag that problem..

A DVM or a multi meter and probably experiance of knowing what a over charging condition looks like. A dvm is 50$ at craftman and a amp clamp is cheap to...

When you do it yourself watch out for the lower bolt they always pull the treads out have a chase or tap set with you GL
Old 05-07-2010, 07:48 PM

2001 ML320
Thanks hcetzneb, I will have to add those to the tool collection and brush up on diagnosing electrical issues. Yes, I have heard of the bottom bolt doing that, I was able to take the alternator off pretty easy since it has only been a couple of years since I put it on. I think the Bosch units from Autohausaz are around 189.00 plus core of 111.00. This time I ordered from Pelicanparts and it came in around 240.00 for the alt and another 85 for core, not too bad. Thanks, I will post the results when the new one has been installed.